Sexism and Women in Video Games: Anita Sarkeesian goes to bat for girls Page 6

• Page

of 19 First / Last

• IMO 10 Mar 2013 14:50:09 5,581 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    QotSAfan wrote:
    A better look would be if you play a game as a female character and the gameplay is altered to reflect a supposed limitation of the female form.
    "Press 'A' to have a man come and help you open the door."

I think you might be on to something here....
  • Chopsen 10 Mar 2013 14:51:25 15,723 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Jar Opening Simulator 2013
  • PenguinJim 10 Mar 2013 15:27:17 5,757 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    QotSAfan wrote:
    A better look would be if you play a game as a female character and the gameplay is altered to reflect a supposed limitation of the female form.
    Didn't you play Trespasser? The entire game was modeled around how difficult it is for women to do just about anything. Picking something up was a challenge. You can't reload the guns, because women can't reload guns. The game physics were completely broken, presumably to reflect a woman's laughable understanding of physical science. Plus, every so often you'd glance down and then have to spend 20 minutes staring at your breasts, because... breasts.

In many ways, Trespasser is still an unsurpassed woman-simulator.
  • Ged42 10 Mar 2013 16:53:07 7,700 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I can't decide if Sarkeesian picks Final Fight and Double Dragon as sexist 8/16 bit era beat'em ups and ignores Streets of Rage (which has female main character saving a male hostage) on purpose or just didn't know about it, though that's probably being picky.

I'd be interested in seeing what she says about female leads like Claire and Jill in the Resident Evil series, not to mention the heavilly oppressive sexism on display in Cooking Mama.
  • jonsaan 10 Mar 2013 17:09:15 25,326 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Where's the 'nuke thread from orbit' button gone?

I don't even mind who presses it. Male or female. Just press it.

FCUTA!

• Metalfish 10 Mar 2013 18:11:07 8,787 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Ged,

She's doing the inversions/subversions of the trope next time, apparently.

@jonsaan,

You think it's bad in here? Go over to RPS for some quite depressing horribleness.
  • King_Edward 10 Mar 2013 19:12:19 11,454 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ged42 wrote:

I'd be interested in seeing what she says about female leads like Claire and Jill in the Resident Evil series, not to mention the heavilly oppressive sexism on display in Cooking Mama.
    She did finish with a "next week on" bit saying she'd look at some games that do better. Monkey Island is the obvious one.
  • Ged42 10 Mar 2013 20:12:35 7,700 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sorry I was distracted by real life stuff right at the end and missed the 'next time on...' bit, I thought there was just the credits.

I'm interested in seeing what characters she considers as good, other than Elaine from Monkey Island.

I've no problem with better female characters as long as they improve the male/alien/buxom transvestite anime characters, at the same time. Gaming could do with better characters in general, not just the women.
  • JinTypeNoir 10 Mar 2013 23:22:37 4,365 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't know, I kind of get the feeling she might rag on Elaine because she tends to get in trouble a lot in the series. She'll say something like, "But even with this positive example, the creators couldn't resist damseling her. It's as if they are saying we need a scene to weaken her because she's just too strong on her own." I'm not sure I would agree though.

I wonder if she'll mention Final Fantasy III, which had a nifty subversion of the damsel in distress trope.
  • neilka 11 Mar 2013 01:07:10 15,655 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I could fit my cock AND balls through those earrings.

That's all I've got to contribute I'm afraid.
  • OptimusPube 11 Mar 2013 06:50:02 2,907 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    JinTypeNoir wrote:
    I don't know, I kind of get the feeling she might rag on Elaine because she tends to get in trouble a lot in the series. She'll say something like, "But even with this positive example, the creators couldn't resist damseling her. It's as if they are saying we need a scene to weaken her because she's just too strong on her own." I'm not sure I would agree though.

I wonder if she'll mention Final Fantasy III, which had a nifty subversion of the damsel in distress trope.
    Never mind Elaine what about the voodoo lady and her massive bangers.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC˛

• pauleyc 11 Mar 2013 07:23:48 4,444 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That's surprisingly topical: Father hacks 'Donkey Kong' for daughter, makes Pauline the heroine.

Interesting is that he also did something similar for The Legend of Zelda, creating a "pronoun patch" that changes Link's gender. I have to admit, considering the series' title I always thought Link was actually a girl named Zelda...
  • Ged42 11 Mar 2013 08:18:57 7,700 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    OptimusPube wrote:
    JinTypeNoir wrote:

Never mind Elaine what about the voodoo lady and her massive bangers.
    'Do not mock *Dramatic Guitar* the Voodoo Priestess!'

Forget her massive bangers, what about Ellie from Borderlands 2? Now there is a hyper sexualised character designed purely to titillate.

Edited by Ged42 at 08:19:12 11-03-2013
  • sanctusmortis 11 Mar 2013 11:00:50 9,627 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:
    Where's the 'nuke thread from orbit' button gone?

I don't even mind who presses it. Male or female. Just press it.
    I KEEP HITTING IT AND NOTHING HAPPENS JUST A BELL GOING DING I MEAN WHO THE HELL HOOKS THE SELF DESTRUCT TO A DAMN BELL ANYWAY
  • SL68 11 Mar 2013 11:42:08 34 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @pauleyc Why do guys never have problems playing as girls in games, but only vice versa? Why are women so whiny about this?
  • pauleyc 11 Mar 2013 12:03:57 4,444 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    SL68 wrote:
    @pauleyc Why do guys never have problems playing as girls in games, but only vice versa? Why are women so whiny about this?
    Assuming for one moment that's a serious question (which in itself is a feat) I'd say it's related to the inequality of gender representation. For the most part, playable characters are stereotypical males; women are represented in a limited way, all too often being rather male projections of fantasies or attributes than fleshed-out characters. Games are not really an exception here, the issue spans most modern media; I'd recommend this as a starting point, mostly due to some accessible statistics.

By the way, what an impressive way to dismiss any criticism altogether as whining, definitely supports any view you might have on this matter.

And please, kindly don't mention Vanessa fucking Schneider and her jiggling arse physics in the context of this thread. It's enough of a train wreck already.
  • SL68 11 Mar 2013 12:13:13 34 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @pauleyc So what do you call Link? Nintendo even said that he was created from female input that Nintendo lacked a handsome male character. I know that most characters are made to attract males, but there's a reason for that - mostly males play games. And that has little to do with characters and more to do with different genres.

Females for example love The Sims, much more so than males. You won't find these "terrible stereotypes" in The Sims. Girls like social and non-competition games, while males prefer action, violence and competition. This has been proven throughout history.

I think they ARE whining. No one has complained about Link, even though he's made to look attractive to girls (my younger sister even had a crush on him, LOL). And look at fighting games, males are also scantily clad and large amounts of skin showing. No male complains about that at all.

So yes, I think this whole debate has a lot to do with females being more whiny than males. Try starting sexualising males in games and you'll see that no men cares about it.
  • caligari 11 Mar 2013 12:18:41 16,990 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    SL68 wrote:
    @pauleyc So what do you call Link? Nintendo even said that he was created from female input that Nintendo lacked a handsome male character. I know that most characters are made to attract males, but there's a reason for that - mostly males play games. And that has little to do with characters and more to do with different genres.

Females for example love The Sims, much more so than males. You won't find these "terrible stereotypes" in The Sims. Girls like social and non-competition games, while males prefer action, violence and competition. This has been proven throughout history.

I think they ARE whining. No one has complained about Link, even though he's made to look attractive to girls (my younger sister even had a crush on him, LOL). And look at fighting games, males are also scantily clad and large amounts of skin showing. No male complains about that at all.

So yes, I think this whole debate has a lot to do with females being more whiny than males. Try starting sexualising males in games and you'll see that no men cares about it.
    AKA 'Some of my best-friends are girls'.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 11 Mar 2013 12:22:26 37,344 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This fella isn't Higgins by the way. Just want to nip that in the bud right now.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• neilka 11 Mar 2013 12:22:28 15,655 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Get your beaney bonce out of here higgins.
  • SL68 11 Mar 2013 12:23:33 34 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    The whole sexism in videogames thing is just feminism propaganda. They don't want us to see women as sex objects, even though that always has been the case. Oh no, the new trend is to see women as intelligent creatures and never as boobs and butts. You must always praise their intellect and their actions rather than their looks. If you comment solely on their looks, you're now "sexist".

Of course women are intelligent, but males have always and will continue to praise women for their good looks, and most women love that, too. And speaking about women in games, they're just ficitional, making them the perfect sex objects to enjoy in third person games.
  • speedofthepuma 11 Mar 2013 12:26:16 13,266 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    This fella isn't Higgins by the way. Just want to nip that in the bud right now.
    neilka wrote:
    Get your beaney bonce out of here higgins.
    That went well.

He is Higgins in any way that really matters anyway.

I've turned off all the avatars and crap, so don't expect me to be impressed by yours.

• caligari 11 Mar 2013 12:35:46 16,990 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    SL68 wrote:
    And speaking about women in games, they're just ficitional, making them the perfect sex objects to enjoy in third person games.
    I imagine that the police will find this scrawled over the walls of your lair.
  • SL68 11 Mar 2013 12:38:03 34 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    So, just let me get this straight. Is Eurogamer a gigantic lair for trolls and spam, or can you actually have some discussion?

Or is it the simple case "scare away newcomers if they don't accept the hive mind"?
  • MetalDog 11 Mar 2013 12:47:12 23,708 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    SL68 wrote:
    Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine.
    Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine.
    Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine.
    Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine. Whine.

Whine.

So yes, I think this whole debate has a lot to do with females being more whiny than males.
    Lol.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• spindle9988 11 Mar 2013 12:48:54 3,492 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    caligari wrote:
    SL68 wrote:
    And speaking about women in games, they're just ficitional, making them the perfect sex objects to enjoy in third person games.
    I imagine that the police will find this scrawled over the walls of your lair.
    GLOL
  • neilka 11 Mar 2013 12:52:32 15,655 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    SL68 wrote:
    Is Eurogamer a gigantic lair for trolls and spam
    Yes

SL68 wrote:
    Or is it the simple case "scare away newcomers if they don't accept the hive mind"?
    Yes
  • spindle9988 11 Mar 2013 12:55:49 3,492 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @SL68

If you are going to start a thread about a video game characters arse and get all weird and pervy over it, you will not get a warm welcome here
  • pauleyc 11 Mar 2013 12:56:54 4,444 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    SL68 wrote:
    I have only a machine translation but still - the origin of Link according to Miyamoto. Peter Pan, not some "handsome male character" created from female input. Granted, it's presumably related to the Japanese bishounen ideal - especially the later incarnations - but it still appeals to a rather limited demographic nevertheless; what works in a Japanese context is probably less effective in Europe or the US.

What if some girls prefer FPS games, or games where they can be equally (key word here, equality) competitive? That's precisely the issue here; designers and publishers prefer to sustain the status quo (because it's been "proven throughout history" ) rather than side-step stereotyping and create something new. Guess what, societies and people change. The media don't always reflect this.

Try truly sexualizing male characters and you get a ridiculous homophobic reaction.

edit: The forum does tend to insert some inappropriate smileys.

Edited by pauleyc at 13:09:11 11-03-2013
  • Buztafen 11 Mar 2013 12:59:03 16,064 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    SL68 - www.hongfire.com

You'll have a better audience for your shite at the above web address.
  • Page

of 19 First / Last