Glasses Page 3

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Next
  • Deleted user 20 March 2013 18:17:02
    Seemed like too much effort. It's not a very big prescription (think it's 0.75 on each eye), and I'll probably adjust to wearing them for reading anyway once my eyes get used to it.
  • BillMurray 20 Mar 2013 18:28:26 7,604 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    meme wrote:
    I got new glasses today. My prescription has changed to the extent where I can't wear them for stuff like reading and using the laptop anymore, because it looks all weird. This is a big change in my glass-wearing dynamic (which was basically just "leave them on all the time" ).

Quite happy that the exam + frames + lenses clocked in at around $80 in total, though.
    I changed from Donald & Aitchison to Specsavers a few years ago and the change I'm the prescription was pretty extreme and a bit jarring. First week or so of wearing them my depth perception was right off and I'd go to pick up objects and completely miss them. Obviously im used to them now but it was very strange.
  • Armoured_Bear 20 Mar 2013 18:46:28 10,234 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    My last pair of glasses cost me 500 quid as I have a high prescription and want non jam jar lenses. I only wear the fuckers 4 hours a day to rest my eyes from contacts and should really get a new pair sorted :-(

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• thelzdking 20 Mar 2013 20:19:07 4,309 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Got my first ever pair yesterday. Almost everyone in my family has glasses so I knew that I'd need them at some point. I got a voucher for a free eye test a few weeks ago and I'd noticed my eyesight becoming blurrier over the past few years so I decided the time had come. I have astigmatism, apparently.

I'm still getting used to wearing them, but everything seems so much sharper. I've noticed that I find reading much easier, not seeing the words but in terms of speed.

I got a pretty basic pair for about 50 (I had a 10% off voucher for the glasses) but I turned down the non-reflective lenses which were an extra 20 and I'm regretting it as I seem to get annoying reflections from the lights at work and the TV when I'm watching at night. Will the non-reflective coating make a difference or are these things just par for the course with specs?
  • ecureuil 17 Apr 2013 23:22:57 76,472 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Does anti-reflective coating make your glasses look permanently smudged? Cause try as I might, I cannot get them "clean" and they make things slightly blurry and lighter in colour. If I hold them at the right angle to the light, you can see where they've been wiped with the cloth. There's no point in me wearing the glasses like this, it's like a permanent real life N64 mode when I wear them.
  • Deleted user 18 April 2013 00:36:12
    If they make things look slightly blurry, could it not just be that you've got the wrong prescription? Glasses without them are just as dirty, it's just the dirt and smudges are more visible on anti-reflective lenses.
  • ecureuil 18 Apr 2013 00:56:11 76,472 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah I did wonder if the prescription was wrong but they were perfect when I first got them. It gets better and worse depending on how I clean them so I'm pretty sure it's the glasses. I'm probably doing something wrong.
  • joeymoto108 18 Apr 2013 01:02:10 628 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Me with glasses, no hatin':

'Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?'

• Deleted user 18 April 2013 02:19:46
    May possibly be a problem with the actual anti-reflective coat itself. I dunno the specifics, but it's supposed to be attuned to the lens prescription, rather than a one-size-fits-all coating.

Are you just cleaning them with the classic water/breathe + sleeve, or a proper spray + microfibre cloth?
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Next