Glasses

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • BartonFink 7 Mar 2013 01:29:42 35,126 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's finally hit after avoiding it for many many years. 44 in a few weeks and I got glasses for the first time this week.

The only way I can describe it is it's as if a fog has lifted or the difference between a ED picture and a full HD picture.

It's made a huge difference driving and watching TV. Downside is the fecking frames are very distracting and I hope I get used to it soon. Had a few problems with depth perception earlier too but on the whole feckin delighted with them.

Anybody else having to get specs in their 40s? I blame drivin them damned puters for a livin.
  • BillMurray 7 Mar 2013 01:34:47 7,916 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You'll get used to them in no time. I've been wearing them since I was 5 so I don't belong in this thread, although after my last pair of specs I had problems with depth perception so I know how you feel regarding that.
  • ecu 7 Mar 2013 01:37:51 77,338 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm tempted to get some.

I'm not in my 40's but I could definitely do with getting glasses. I have a lazy eye (though you can't tell, thankfully), and had to wear an eye-patch as a kid. Being a kid, I thought this was dumb, and didn't wear it half the time, and the problem wasn't fully corrected. Oh well.

It's the price that puts me off. All the rubbish frames are cheap and the good ones seem extortionately expensive.
  • BartonFink 7 Mar 2013 01:39:36 35,126 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yea pain in the arse I managed to spill over a glass of wine. Not good not good at all.

The wife doesn't get it either she's worn glasses most of her life and is very blase about the whole thing. It's a big feckin deal for me though. I now have these flippin things on me face. Luckily they suit me, apparently.
  • Dirtbox 7 Mar 2013 01:41:09 79,216 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Prepare to look intelligent for the first time in your life.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• BartonFink 7 Mar 2013 01:45:14 35,126 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    I'm tempted to get some.

I'm not in my 40's but I could definitely do with getting glasses. I have a lazy eye (though you can't tell, thankfully), and had to wear an eye-patch as a kid. Being a kid, I thought this was dumb, and didn't wear it half the time, and the problem wasn't fully corrected. Oh well.

It's the price that puts me off. All the rubbish frames are cheap and the good ones seem extortionately expensive.
    T'is not the frames you need to worry about but the lenses. Same frames for me with da'missus's prescription would be about 4 times as expensive. Got nice frames very reasonable and a 2 for 1 offer so I am happy. Same thing for her would be around 500-600

Edited by BartonFink at 01:46:54 07-03-2013
  • BartonFink 7 Mar 2013 01:45:42 35,126 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Prepare to look intelligent for the first time in your life.
    Take that back you bast!!!
  • BillMurray 7 Mar 2013 01:48:38 7,916 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Lenses make spectacles obscenely expensive. I'm quite lucky that my friend works at Specsavers and she picks me as one of the 3 discounts a year she can sort out. I go from spending about 250 to 75-ish.
  • Dirtbox 7 Mar 2013 01:49:17 79,216 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Spectacle high five.

• Khanivor 7 Mar 2013 01:54:10 41,297 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I don't think I'm long off needing bifocals :(
  • Psychotext 7 Mar 2013 01:55:30 55,055 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I need to get mine checked again. I had glasses but they started getting uncomfortable to use (eye strain). Definitely got that HD feeling from it all though. :)
  • Deleted user 7 March 2013 01:59:23
    I'm in dire need of new lenses. My vision is perfect if I wear my glasses and prescription sunglasses simultaneously, though I'm still on the same prescription I was from seven or so years ago so not much surprise.
  • Dirtbox 7 Mar 2013 02:11:23 79,216 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Get it done here next time you're visiting, I still choke at how much that sort of shit costs over there.

• ILoveThrashMetal 7 Mar 2013 07:45:24 826 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just got myself a pair of Oakley's.
    Found some i liked/suited me, ordered from amazon, lenses put in by opticians, saved 120,job done.

Arsechickens

• elstoof 7 Mar 2013 07:46:56 8,324 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    How about a monocle ecureuil?
  • Fab4 7 Mar 2013 07:48:58 6,216 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I got mine at the age of 43. I was getting headaches all the time and close up things were always blurry until I really focused. It turned out my good eye was doing all the work. So far I only need them for reading/computer use but the difference has been wonderful :) Plus I do look even more intelligent :D
  • THFourteen 7 Mar 2013 07:59:05 34,481 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    haha speccy 4 eyes!

I got my first pair when i was 12 remember i had loads of headaches and it was a revelation. My dad chose them though, they were proper massive indian style frames that were almost as big as my head.

He got really angry when my mum took me to the shop when i was 16 and I came back with a more "normal" small frame.

"HOW ARE YOU GOING TO SEE ANYTHING WITH THOSE"
  • Alastair 7 Mar 2013 08:08:46 16,408 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I thought I might be needing glasses as I approach 40. Went for an eyetest a few weeks ago and all is fine at the moment - might be a different story when I go back in 2 years though.
  • Ziz0u 7 Mar 2013 08:09:11 8,648 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I wore glassed from 11 till 21. I wear contact lenses now which are a bitch in their own way. I would get lasik, and my father offered to pay for it, but I'm not a candidate for the op :(
  • elstoof 7 Mar 2013 08:19:03 8,324 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I started on contacts when I was 10, starting to get a bit tired of them now. I think you've only got so many years of comfortable contact wear in you before you have enough, I used to be able to go all day with no trouble but now I feel my eyes getting tired an dry at around 6pm. Why aren't you able to get laser treatment Zizou?
  • Dougs 7 Mar 2013 08:20:04 69,539 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fab4 wrote:
    I got mine at the age of 43. I was getting headaches all the time and close up things were always blurry until I really focused. It turned out my good eye was doing all the work. So far I only need them for reading/computer use but the difference has been wonderful :) Plus I do look even more intelligent :D
    Pretty much all I use mine for. Although they do help when my eyes are generally tired. Need a new pair, mine are scratched to fuck - lost them over the winter, finally found them in the garden when the snow thawed.

As for cost, I only need single vision, so the Tesco/Specsavers offers of 2 for 1 at 100ish are blinding.

Pun intended.

Edited by Dougs at 08:20:13 07-03-2013
  • Ziz0u 7 Mar 2013 08:23:43 8,648 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @elstoof

A number of factors. My age (I'm 25 which is an awkward age for your eyes apparently), shape of my eyes, state of my eyes etc

Contacts until I man up and go back to glasses.
  • sport 7 Mar 2013 08:25:20 12,813 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fucking hipster thread.
  • elstoof 7 Mar 2013 08:33:44 8,324 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hmm, I've been thinking about having the treatment, terrifies me though. I've got big pupils as well and apparently that can be an issue because the pupil can extend wider than the scar. Need to have a consultation with a top doctor I think, there's a whole load of cheap laser operators over here.
  • Trafford 7 Mar 2013 08:42:14 5,975 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've worn them for 30 years. Thinking of trialing contacts as glasses can be annoying when I'm out cycling.

I was out the other night and met a bloke from work wearing specs. " I never knew you did?" I said. Fashion accessory apparently.
  • elstoof 7 Mar 2013 08:45:12 8,324 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I sometimes wear one of those special blue shoes as a fashion accessory.
  • elstoof 7 Mar 2013 08:46:23 8,324 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And my leg caliper.
  • Deleted user 7 March 2013 08:51:12
    Been wearing glasses since I was about 7. I have contacts as well, and three or four pairs of nice frames. I like switching around for different looks.

Once you know your prescription there are places online where you get can get nice designer frames significantly cheaper, often two pairs for one. And I mean proper nice frames - Armani, Gucci, Boss etc. Most high street places are a con and the likes of David Clulow are complete crooks.

If you wear them all day then they're pretty much the defining part of your look imo, so worth spending a bit of cash on. I do laugh when I see someone walking around in all nice expensive designer gear with a pair of 30 specsavers on.
  • effinjamie 7 Mar 2013 08:55:12 908 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's not a huge deal wearing glasses, you get used to it very quickly. My biggest problem is my bordering on OCD obsession, with removing dust/smears/fingerprints from the lenses. Especially when watching TV of an evening in a darkened room, when every single minute particle is visible.

PSN - effinjamie Xbox - effinjamie

• Salaman 7 Mar 2013 08:55:47 19,626 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If you didn't get these hip wooden glasses that Otto introduced to EG 5 years or so ago, you're doing it wrong.
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous