Pulling sickies

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous
  • kadooosh 6 Mar 2013 00:11:04 1,373 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    What are people's view on this? I haven't done so in about 6 years, an actual sickie I mean...
  • Syrette 6 Mar 2013 00:11:34 43,334 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I like to pull ill women too, makes it easier.

• Deleted user 6 March 2013 00:25:14
    Pull yer wang.
  • Khanivor 6 Mar 2013 00:35:40 40,553 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Was tempted to pull a sickie tomorrow so I could play Sim City. Then I stood on a nail at work and I can barely work, which doesn't help when I'm on my feet all day.
  • guts 6 Mar 2013 07:15:55 1,690 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My boss noticed that whatever amount of sick days were allowed was always the same amount of sick certain people would take each year, so we now only get five paid sick days a year. It"s amazing how much healthier it has made people. Well, most people... One bloke clicked up just shy of twenty days last year but he calls in sick if his missus has a cold so that he can look after her!

Whassamattayou, whyoulookasosad, itsanicaplace, itsanotsobad, heyshaddupayourface.

• jonsaan 6 Mar 2013 07:21:01 25,342 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Save your sick days for when you are really sick.

FCUTA!

• THFourteen 6 Mar 2013 07:31:05 33,210 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah i used to never miss a day of work (drilled into me from an early age by having two doctor parents).

Nowadays, i'll probably take 4 or 5 sick days a year, i dont think thats too many, and i will only take them if i am actually sick, and most of those days i'll log in from home and try and do something at least.

Dont think its a bad thing, and my colleagues prefer it if i'm not sneezing and coughing all over them tbh.
  • Deleted user 6 March 2013 07:32:10
    ^ Fuck that advice ^

I have a very stressful job and do a *lot* of driving too.

I have to take a day off every now and then, just to recharge my batteries and get my stress levels down. No shame in that, and it makes me a better employee.
  • Dougs 6 Mar 2013 07:37:22 67,222 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There are no sickies once you have kids. That ship has sailed.
  • jonsaan 6 Mar 2013 07:37:44 25,342 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hopefully the day will never come when you really need all that sick pay. Especially if your company have a firm limit.

If you have a vile cold, then fair enough, you're sick.

Using sick days as extra hoilday that you feel the need to use up is pretty crappy for the average employee though, as it just pushes companies towards withdrawing the benfit altogether.

SSP is shit.

FCUTA!

• MadCaddy13 6 Mar 2013 07:42:16 1,892 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I don't get paid for sick days so I never take them - I had one day off last year for being genuinely ill. I work around 46 hours a week
  • Madder-Max 6 Mar 2013 07:43:31 11,641 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I never take sickies. The only reason to is I u have proper sickness and shits and unless you injure yourself or have a disease symptoms are treatable with over the counter stuff.

I fucking hate people who call in sick that u know are faking it because in catering it has such a knock on effect and its management who have to come into work on days off.

I just reduce their hours for the following few weeks and they soon get the message though!

99 problems and being ginger is one

• mrpon 6 Mar 2013 07:45:49 28,767 posts
    Seen 55 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    bdaggers wrote:
    ^ Fuck that advice ^

I have to take a day off every now and then, just to recharge my batteries and get my stress levels down. No shame in that, and it makes me a better employee.
    ^ Gay ^

Give yourself £5 or Ĺ gig, you're worth it.

• Shikasama 6 Mar 2013 07:47:00 6,759 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think that if someone has time off for sickness regularly it means one of three things:

a) They think paid sick leae is the same as a holiday, in which case they are idiots

b) They really hate their jobs

c) They get sick a lot

I've done jobs that I really, truly hated and it's amazing how much sicker I felt when I was working them. Things like headaches and feeling like your going to be sick can be caused by stress from hating every waking second of being in a certain shit hole.

But employers also need to realise that c) is a real thing. People get sick...it happens. If someone calls in saying they don't feel well enough to go to work it might not actually be because they were boozing all night - they might just actually be sick.

I've worked for companies that were a bit too lenient with sick days ad I've worked with companies that used them as another stick to beat workers with and neither really work out.
  • MadCaddy13 6 Mar 2013 07:47:11 1,892 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Madder-Max yup. I too hate people doing it - I have to work longer and I know they ain't ill. Makes the day a lot worse.
  • Rodney 6 Mar 2013 08:26:55 1,872 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It hate people who come in to work sick, coughing and spluttering everywhere. Yet when Im sick I feel guilty for taking the time off, like people will assume Im skiving, so tend to go to work when I probably shouldnt. So I hate myself basically.

Having said that. I started a new job last year and called in sick on my first day. Great first impression!
  • warlockuk 6 Mar 2013 08:37:48 19,151 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I tend to get migraines a load but haven't really had that many in recent months (we moved to a different part of the building). Sometimes I'm working on something so boring I just want to stay in bed and call in sick but you've gotta drag yourself out otherwise you just turn into a complacent knobend that isn't fit for anything.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Blakester 6 Mar 2013 08:41:54 3,601 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I agree that a lot of sickness is linked to whether people enjoy their job or not. It's something that companies need to monitor as it can become a problem quickly.

I really detested my last job towards the end of my time, but didn't realise how much it was affecting me. It was only after I left that my wife said she was getting worried because I was calling in sick and working from home way more than normal.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• spindle9988 6 Mar 2013 08:42:42 3,529 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    We are scored on the bradford factor. You accumalate points then once you get a certain amount, you dont get paid
  • SClaw 6 Mar 2013 08:46:55 826 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Sickies as in faking it? Never.

There are numerous reasons but for me it comes down to three things; 1) when Iím not working someone has to cover for me at the cost to their own work and time, so thatís a dick move, 2) when other people are obviously doing this I can be a dick to them without feeling like a hypocrite, 3) if you ever go for an interview and they ask how often you are off sick Ė and they do, and sometimes they check in references Ė when you say zero they look at you like your fucking Jesus reborn.

Iím fortunate enough to work in a place that respects its staff. They pay all our sick days, they donít ask for doctorsí notes, they give us private medical and they trust us to be honest, responsible adults and not abuse the system for free days off. Some jokers have come here and abused that trust, but they donít last very long; goodwill is easy to waste.

If you want a good relationship with your employer you have to be honest and respectful; if you want to be trusted and respected it really does start with you.
  • cubbymoore 6 Mar 2013 08:55:09 36,488 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Being sick is my idea of a holiday, so it's difficult to book it in advance. Without getting hold of vials.
  • Rodney 6 Mar 2013 08:55:55 1,872 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think that's pretty much why I dont pull sickes. I can't openlt lie to my managers face. Its disrespectful to both of us.
  • Buztafen 6 Mar 2013 09:06:16 16,177 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ive not had a sick day,real or fake for 5 years.

/immunity + 90
    /stupidity + 110
  • CharlieStCloud 6 Mar 2013 09:10:03 5,202 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I used to work in a nice restaurant during the summer holidays about five years ago and when just the one chef is ill and the other is on holiday, as in abroad somewhere, oh my God ... it puts so much pressure on the staff and breaks the hierarchy of who does what.

We found out that the chef was actually spending three days in Southwold on holiday when he was 'sick'.

Things like that makes me never pull a sickie. How can you look at the people who help you out in the kitchen after doing something like that? Never spoke to him unless I really had to and the others did the same.

... I don't have time for tosspots who think it's perfectly okay to pull a sickie.
  • Kostabi 6 Mar 2013 09:10:13 4,911 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Either work or fuck off is my view.
  • beastmaster 6 Mar 2013 09:15:00 11,336 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I really enjoy my job and I can work from home at any time. I've had about 3 days off sick last year. I tried to work from home and did about 2 days before my manager who told me to take a few days off.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• elstoof 6 Mar 2013 09:15:33 7,024 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's disappointing when you see colleagues going up towards the end of the year to ask how many paid sick days they have remaining, then proceed to have exactly that number of days off sick before the year is over. Disappointing because the management don't seem to notice the brass neck of these people.

The other howler is people phoning in sick on a Monday and say they won't be back until Friday. How the fuck do you know how long you'll be sick for?
  • elstoof 6 Mar 2013 09:18:20 7,024 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I had a colleague also who books his holidays from a Wednesday, calls in sick Monday and Tuesday then two weeks later is sick again when they're due back. Every bloody year.
  • Ultrasoundwave 6 Mar 2013 09:19:22 3,282 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Call your boss, tell them you've got the shits.

They dont interrogate you, you dont have to do your "sick voice" and you can have anything from 1 day to a week off with it.

When you go back to work, tell them you eat a dodgy prawn.

Sickie pulled.

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• Trane 6 Mar 2013 09:21:30 4,050 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    bdaggers wrote:
    ^ Fuck that advice ^

Use annual leave then, or find a job you are competent at.
  • Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous