Yu Suzuki considering a Shenmue 3 kickstarter campaign!!!

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • KopparbergDave 4 Mar 2013 14:31:59 7 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    According to Polygon Yu Suzuki is considering starting a kickstarter campaing to fund the production of Shenmue 3, at last... I honestly think this would take off, there's so many fans out there and so many others who've never played the original but who would take a punt based on how manic the rest of us are for it. Eeeeeeeeee.
  • Blotto 4 Mar 2013 14:37:25 2,776 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I don't see why he wouldn't, Time constraints aside.

Just set the budget he'd need, even if he doesn't think its realistic. As far as I understand, you only pay if it's achieved, so if it's not achieved then he can just go "Well, I tried" and move on.
  • Ultrasoundwave 4 Mar 2013 14:38:15 3,319 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    If that happens, i will take out a second mortgage to fund it......

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• kalel 4 Mar 2013 14:40:05 87,933 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't really understand how they can do this without buying the rights first. Money is not the issue. It's about ownership.
  • cubbymoore 4 Mar 2013 14:42:29 36,497 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's probably gone out of copyright it's been so long.
  • nickthegun 4 Mar 2013 14:42:31 60,157 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They will call it Thenmue and have Hyo hanging around the docks, cruising for soldiers.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• ZuluHero 4 Mar 2013 14:43:58 4,175 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Can you imagine a $65 million (or more) kickstarter though?

Unless he already has other backing or investors?

Edited by ZuluHero at 14:44:42 04-03-2013
  • Murbal 4 Mar 2013 14:44:03 22,272 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I struggle to think about why people would still genuinely care about this. Shenmue was such a product of it's time; games have moved on.

Just me?
  • Deleted user 4 March 2013 14:45:58
    Never rated it. Space Harrier was good though...
  • kalel 4 Mar 2013 14:47:31 87,933 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Murbal wrote:
    I struggle to think about why people would still genuinely care about this. Shenmue was such a product of it's time; games have moved on.

Just me?
    Another game exactly like the last two would be archaic, but there's no reason why it would have to be like that. I can personally see how newer technology could take some of the ideas in Shenmue and turn it into something really special.
  • ecureuil 4 Mar 2013 14:48:43 76,875 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Murbal wrote:

Just me?
    Pretty much. The things that made it impressive nearly 15 years ago will no longer have the same impact. I actually do quite like the series but not enough to care for a sequel, but part of me is quite looking forward to the reaction when the third game is inevitably a bit rubbish. It's absolutely a product of its time, though it'd probably be good for gaming to have something like this become successful.

Edited by ecureuil at 14:52:57 04-03-2013
  • Murbal 4 Mar 2013 14:48:50 22,272 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Murbal wrote:

Just me?
    Another game exactly like the last two would be archaic, but there's no reason why it would have to be like that. I can personally see how newer technology could take some of the ideas in Shenmue and turn it into something really special.
    Can't see that happening courtesy of a kickstarter though unfortunately.
  • nickthegun 4 Mar 2013 14:49:45 60,157 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Unless its a text adventure, every man, woman and child in this country would have to stick a fiver in to make it happen.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• ecureuil 4 Mar 2013 14:54:01 76,875 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's a niche title that requires a blockbuster budget. I'm not sure whether it's admirable or sad that Shenmue fans won't let this one go. It's not going to happen.
  • Triggerhappytel 4 Mar 2013 14:55:25 2,695 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sega probably wouldn't mind so long as they licence it out and don't actually do anything themselves, but I can't see this happening because the budget to make a full Shenmue sequel would be in the tens of millions. I think the highest budget crowd sourced projects have been Ouya and the new game from the Wing Commander guy (Chris Avellone, is it?).

I can't see this being a success. Or anything more than one of those standard S3 rumours that won't go away.
  • andytheadequate 4 Mar 2013 15:07:58 8,223 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Shenmue 3 would be awful, or would cost so much to meet expectations it would bankrupt whoever funds it. Just let it go and keep the happy memories

Edited by andytheadequate at 15:08:34 04-03-2013
  • the_dudefather 4 Mar 2013 15:18:29 9,302 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    We don't even need shenmue 3, we already have the canonical ending for the series

Edited by the_dudefather at 15:19:07 04-03-2013

Edited by the_dudefather at 21:25:01 10-03-2014

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• spindle9988 4 Mar 2013 15:24:10 3,597 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Murbal wrote:

Just me?
    To be fair, there were quite a few people who didnt like it when it came out, it was very niche even back then
    Another good way to raise some money would re-releasing the 1st 2nd on live and psn. Every single shenmue fan would download it on day one
  • KopparbergDave 4 Mar 2013 15:42:46 7 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @spindle9988 Yes, I definitely hope they would re-release the other games first, could make some decent money on those if they sold for a fiver each. I didn't get the positive reaction I was hoping for on here.. call yourselves gamer, jeez :p

While we have Sleeping Dogs and the Yakuza series which have in many ways taken the Shenmue mould and expanded it, those games feature way too much fighting for my liking, Shenmue focused on exploring these beautiful places and just soaking it all up, Shenmue 3 with decent modern graphics could be brilliant, if it was funded as a kickstarter then no, I don't think it would have triple A quality graphics, but functional, iOS level that could still be in keeping with the originals. It might be against the odds but I hope for gaming's sake we get to see this one day, stop being so negative guys :)
  • ZuluHero 4 Mar 2013 16:07:04 4,175 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @the_dudefather

Sounds a bit like Asura's Wrath. Especially the moon fight.
  • King_Edward 4 Mar 2013 16:15:51 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    It's not going to happen.
    That's why it's perfect for Kickstarter.
  • Deleted user 4 March 2013 16:17:09
    He should totally kickstart it. Then when it falls dramatically short of the goal because only a few people honestly give a shit maybe everyone'll shut the fuck up about Shenmue III.
  • cubbymoore 4 Mar 2013 16:24:24 36,497 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Why exactly would it cost so much to make this time round? They could just reskin a yakuza or sleeping dogs engine, no?
  • sega 4 Mar 2013 16:38:49 890 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've said this before, but Shenmue is a lot more complex than Yakuza. The NPCs aren't just a selection of guys stood around in this game, so a lot of time and effort is needed to create each of these characters and all of their dialogue. I'm guessing anyone who thinks Yakuza and Shenmue are really similar probably hasn't played both series.

I think a kickstarter is a good idea for this. It should easily get funded. Hopefully it's not to buy the rights from Sega, though - I don't think I'd enjoy a Shenmue game as much without all the little Sega references, toy capsules, arcade games et.
  • elstoof 4 Mar 2013 16:50:22 7,516 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    One guy with a typewriter can knock up enough characters and routines to fill up Shenmue 3. You've for some strange ideas about how technically advanced a 15 year old game is there sega.
  • sega 4 Mar 2013 17:17:04 890 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What? It's not just routines - it's dialogue and multiple routes through them. Characters have multiple responses depending on where you are in the game and who you have talked to previously. One character may tell you to talk to one person and another to talk to someone else, meaning you can find key information out entirely different ways. Have you honestly played through Shenmue 2? If so, I can't believe you could possible think a guy could just type that up on a typewriter...
  • Deleted user 4 March 2013 17:18:02
    Whoever it was, you'd have thought they could have come up with more variations on "How about a game of Lucky Hit?"
  • gelf 4 Mar 2013 17:22:07 188 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nevermind Shenmue, I'd fund a kickstarter just to get Yu Suzuki back into developing console games in general. He's been missed.
  • MrSensible 4 Mar 2013 17:28:17 25,070 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I would be more than willing to contribute to it, as Shenmue is pretty much the greatest game on the planet (imo, of course). I just don't see it happening, as much as it pains me to say :(
  • Rusty_M 4 Mar 2013 17:40:32 4,706 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Guys, don't get your hopes up. How many times have you been disappointed in a lack of more Shenmue? Save yourselves the heartache, and be pessimistic about this. Then if you're wrong, it's still bloody awesome.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous