Scientology advert Page 2

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• pauleyc 28 Feb 2013 12:23:34 4,444 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    I always think of Scientology as a brilliant parody of all the other religions. Like Police Squad is to cop dramas.
    It's quite like that - maybe less Police Squad and more Airplane! if you consider Xenu's space wagons. You just have to replace the humour and slapstick with brainwashing and forced child labour.

Hm, I guess now I'm on their list.
  • MightyMetalMonkey 28 Feb 2013 12:26:05 600 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Do scientologists have any kind of special hats? All the best religions have a hat.
    You dont get to see the hat until level 7.
    Uh, or so I hear.
    Praise Xenu!
  • kalel 28 Feb 2013 12:26:31 86,240 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Always worth a watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=OMvAXpq7Xj4#t=379s
  • Deckard1 28 Feb 2013 12:27:29 27,049 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    neilka wrote:
    Tonka wrote:
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Questions make baby jesus cry.
    Oh, come hither with ye questions.
    Luke 12:14
    If an aeroplane is on a treadmill and its engines are running such that the wheels are moving at the same speed as the treadmill, will the plane take off?
    We covered this already

• spindle9988 28 Feb 2013 12:28:17 3,486 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @nickthegun

Because it had never been given any real recognition in this country. As a religion or otherwise. I just found it baffling that someone has agreed to put it on. It would be like someone agreeing to put an ad on asking people to become jedis

@kalel

YouTube link has an error, they are onto u

Edited by spindle9988 at 12:36:09 28-02-2013
  • ModishNouns 28 Feb 2013 12:33:07 4,654 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    All you need is here, brother brother: http://www.epsilonprogram.com/
  • elstoof 28 Feb 2013 12:34:52 6,587 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Check out the clambake website for some more about their dodgy goings on. Also, don't do any "stress tests" on the Tottenham Court Road, don't buy any Dianetics self help books and don't ask Narcanon for help with any of your addictions.
  • Tonka 28 Feb 2013 12:37:57 20,006 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    spindle9988 wrote:
    It would be like someone agreeing to put an ad on asking people to become jedis
    Back in -99 there was a massive social media campaign to get people to say they were Jedis in the consensus. I think it was successful too.

I sure as hell said I was a Jedi.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• spindle9988 28 Feb 2013 12:41:24 3,486 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    But we all know deep down that jedis are fictional, I would love to be a Jedi and carry a light sabre (I love Star Wars) but I'm just about sensible enough to realise that no e if this is real. It has been pulled from a sci fi movie the same way Scientology has been pulled from a sci fi novel

Edited by spindle9988 at 12:42:10 28-02-2013
  • f00b_inc 28 Feb 2013 12:42:06 688 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @MetalDog

I had a bit of a double take when getting off Monument tube in the City a couple of months ago and there was a massive poster for Scientology! Now I've noticed a few more dotted around the tube stops around here.

Very weird. I thought it was a movie poster at first :-D
  • kalel 28 Feb 2013 12:49:36 86,240 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @spindle9988

I think you might be slightly misunderstanding the relationship Scientology has with L Ron Hubbard to be honest. Yes, he was a science-fiction writer, and yes, there's supposedly elements of space opera type stuff in the teachings, but it's not like someone took a "sci-fi novel" and turned it into a religion as you're suggesting.
  • Deleted user 28 February 2013 12:56:17
    Xenu also spelled Xemu, was, according to the founder of Scientology L. Ron Hubbard, the dictator of the "Galactic Confederacy" who, 75 million years ago, brought billions of his people to Earth (then known as "Teegeeack" in a DC-8-like spacecraft, stacked them around volcanoes and killed them using hydrogen bombs. Official Scientology scriptures hold that the essences of these many people remained, and that they form around people in modern times, causing them spiritual harm.

These events are known within Scientology as "Incident II", and the traumatic memories associated with them as The Wall of Fire or the R6 implant. The narrative of Xenu is part of Scientologist teachings about extraterrestrial civilizations and alien interventions in earthly events, collectively described as space opera by Hubbard. Hubbard detailed the story in Operating Thetan level III (OT III) in 1967, warning that the R6 "implant" (past trauma) was "calculated to kill (by pneumonia, etc.) anyone who attempts to solve it".

Anyone still reading?

Edited by Alipan at 12:56:44 28-02-2013
  • Deckard1 28 Feb 2013 13:00:19 27,049 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Alipan wrote:
    Xenu also spelled Xemu, was, according to the founder of Scientology L. Ron Hubbard, the dictator of the "Galactic Confederacy" who, 75 million years ago, brought billions of his people to Earth (then known as "Teegeeack" in a DC-8-like spacecraft, stacked them around volcanoes and killed them using hydrogen bombs. Official Scientology scriptures hold that the essences of these many people remained, and that they form around people in modern times, causing them spiritual harm.

These events are known within Scientology as "Incident II", and the traumatic memories associated with them as The Wall of Fire or the R6 implant. The narrative of Xenu is part of Scientologist teachings about extraterrestrial civilizations and alien interventions in earthly events, collectively described as space opera by Hubbard. Hubbard detailed the story in Operating Thetan level III (OT III) in 1967, warning that the R6 "implant" (past trauma) was "calculated to kill (by pneumonia, etc.) anyone who attempts to solve it".

Anyone still reading?

These Ten Commandments were written on two tablets of stone. Moses stayed so long on the mountain that the people waiting at the foot of the mountain grew angry. They decided to make another God for themselves. It was a golden calf. When Moses returned he was shocked to see the people dancing and worshipping the golden calf. He broke the tablets God had given him and destroyed the golden calf. God forgave his people for worshipping the statue and told Moses to cut two more tablets of stone. Moses took the stone tablets up the mountain and God gave him the Ten Commandments again. When he came down all the people listened to Moses as he told them what God had said. Moses promised God that the Hebrews would keep all of the Commandments.
  • Deleted user 28 February 2013 13:02:50
    Position Vacant: Dictator of the Galactic Confederacy
  • spindle9988 28 Feb 2013 13:05:09 3,486 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @kalel

I understand they never turned 1 novel into the religion, but it seems they were full of propaganda to support his beliefs. I may be wrong but in too scared to research it properly
  • kalel 28 Feb 2013 13:09:08 86,240 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    spindle9988 wrote:
    I understand they never turned 1 novel into the religion, but it seems they were full of propaganda to support his beliefs. I may be wrong but in too scared to research it properly
    I'm just saying, the guy who invented the religion was also a science fiction writer. You seemed to be suggesting it was the equivalent of turning Star Wars into a religion or whatever. It's not really comparable.

And yes, his fiction is full of "propaganda to support his beliefs", although again you could argue that's no different to someone like C.S. Lewis who nobody has a problem with.
  • kickerconspiracy 28 Feb 2013 13:19:20 495 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Always worth a watch:

And by earn he means pay for.

Edited by kickerconspiracy at 13:24:58 28-02-2013
  • B0rked_Gamer 28 Feb 2013 13:20:58 2,481 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Always worth a watch:

Cruise is psychotic, as in full-on mental, not just another poor sap who buys into this shit.
  • glaeken 28 Feb 2013 13:22:16 11,083 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I am never too sure why Scientology is worse than Christianity. In some ways it's better I think than many organised religions as we know for certain Tom Cruise exists. How many films do we have of Jesus flying a fighter jet?
  • L_Franko Moderator 28 Feb 2013 13:29:29 9,694 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Isn't Thomas out of the Scientology thing now? Sure I read something somewhere he had to quit because it was screwing up his life.
  • kalel 28 Feb 2013 13:34:16 86,240 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    glaeken wrote:
    I am never too sure why Scientology is worse than Christianity. In some ways it's better I think than many organised religions as we know for certain Tom Cruise exists. How many films do we have of Jesus flying a fighter jet?
    As per the last page, it's worse than Christianity (and other organised religions) because it shrouds itself in secrecy and forces people to pay huge amounts to advance themselves in the faith. It is in the full sense of the word, a con.

But yeah, that's not all that's wrong with it, it's just what's most wrong with it. Again, as per the last page, all the con stuff aside, I still think the ludicrousness of the whole thing is comparable to most faiths when you break it down.
  • elstoof 28 Feb 2013 13:40:43 6,587 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    glaeken wrote:
    Scientology is a glorified pyramid scheme where you can only access higher levels of enlightenment by paying them increasing amounts of money of becoming a slave.

Christianity is openly accessible in its structure and belief system, with the basis of its faith available to all without working for any monetary profit.

Also, the cruiser isn't Scientology's Jesus, he's just a high profile follower.
  • spindle9988 28 Feb 2013 13:45:36 3,486 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @kalel

Wasn't cs Lewis a paedo. I wouldn't be part of any weird religion to do with him either
  • DFawkes 28 Feb 2013 13:47:26 22,581 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hubbard is a sci-fi author. He made a religion about aliens.

Jesus was reputedly a carpenter. If his religion was Oak based, I'd possibly consider them the same way. But it isn't.

Muhammad was a Sheppard (I think, apologises if I'm wrong). His religion was not sheep based.

I realise I'm vastly simplifying thing, but I'm vastly simple, so there. Also, Battlefield Earth. Screw that.

Edited by DFawkes at 13:48:29 28-02-2013

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• glaeken 28 Feb 2013 13:48:14 11,083 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @kalel and elstoof

Well I was being factious to a degree but just how much of a threat is it to most people? We seem to be talking about protecting the extremely gullible from themselves which sounds like a losing proposition over the long run.

Maybe it might also make such people happy? So who is to say their money might be better spent elsewhere.

@DFawkes That seems like an ad hominem attack if ever I saw one. You really need to compare the validity of what each of them claimed and on that count I see them all as equal given the complete lack of evidence for any of it. Hubbard's main flaw in comparison to the other religions seems to be he did not set up his religion a couple of thousands years ago.

Edited by glaeken at 13:55:11 28-02-2013
  • MightyMetalMonkey 28 Feb 2013 13:55:29 600 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Alipan wrote:

Anyone still reading?

These Ten Commandments were written on two tablets of stone. Moses stayed so long on the mountain that the people waiting at the foot of the mountain grew angry. They decided to make another God for themselves. It was a golden calf. When Moses returned he was shocked to see the people dancing and worshipping the golden calf. He broke the tablets God had given him and destroyed the golden calf. God forgave his people for worshipping the statue and told Moses to cut two more tablets of stone. Moses took the stone tablets up the mountain and God gave him the Ten Commandments again. When he came down all the people listened to Moses as he told them what God had said. Moses promised God that the Hebrews would keep all of the Commandments.
    And the Flying Spaghetti Monster surveyed all with it-sa spicy meat-a-balls and declared "Tasty". For it saw that the sauce was good and the mince was plentiful upon the great plate of the Heavens.
  • nickthegun 28 Feb 2013 13:58:20 58,782 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The contrast is even less pronounced in somewhere like Germany, where they give you terrible shit for not paying the state mandated church tax.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• elstoof 28 Feb 2013 14:02:27 6,587 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My brother's been sucked in by this cult, and I've hardly seen him for the past 9 years. He's recently come back from a 3 year stung at Flag in the US, a sort of retreat where you wait hand and foot on your superiors and have to behave as you are told - for no money. He's actually a different person than the guy I remember now, it's almost as though you can see the machinations of his "teaching" considering the conversation and how he can guide the topic into whatever suits his/their agenda. It's really bizarre to experience actually. Soon after joining he spent a lot of time trying to convince all family and friends to join, bombarding us with books, leaflets, because we needed "help". All got rejected of course, but this alienation just pushes people further into the system. He got back about a year ago and he's been keen to make contact all of a sudden, the only time I heard from him while he was "studying" was when he wanted a flight back paid for, I've met with him a couple of times but as I said, he's a different person.

It's not so much about protecting the gullible as you say, it's about protecting those who need some sort of confirmation, he was caught on Tottenham Court Road with a stress test, told him he was depressed and you know what? He was a bit down actually. They massage the ego to the point where you get hooked on their stuff, and now he's basically given his life to them, he's the one on the pavement dishing out the stress tests. It's a nasty cycle.
  • MetalDog 28 Feb 2013 14:05:00 23,708 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @glaeken

It's the aggressive ruining of peoples lives and illegal activities that are the major problem, not the beliefs themselves, but the active policies. There are plenty of 'churches' that fleece their followers for cash (usually the evangelical/charismatics, when it comes to Christian flavours) - these guys fleece their followers AND have been known to accuse detractors of being paedophiles and leafleting their neighbourhoods to that effect, have attempted to infiltrate the FBI, have close ties with the police force in places like Clearwater etc, etc.

That's the problem, not the old 'who can be the biggest prick about other peoples beliefs' game.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• spindle9988 28 Feb 2013 14:05:55 3,486 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @elstoff

Feel for u mate. Would hate to see someone I know get sucked in
  • Page

of 5 First / Last