Scientology advert

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous
  • spindle9988 28 Feb 2013 11:46:41 3,676 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Why is there a Scientology advert on British tv? What exactly is it advertising if its not a recognised religion in the UK?

Are they now going to come after me for posting this?

I'm so fed up with hearing about this shit and now it's on my telly

Edited by spindle9988 at 11:47:20 28-02-2013
  • nickthegun 28 Feb 2013 11:51:26 61,349 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    spindle9988 wrote:
    Why is there a Scientology advert on British tv? What exactly is it advertising if its not a recognised religion in the UK?
    Its still a money making enterprise even if, somewhat hypocritically, its not recognised as a religion (something that the advert is, presumably, hoping to change).

Edited by nickthegun at 11:51:51 28-02-2013

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• MetalDog 28 Feb 2013 11:52:28 23,920 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've heard rumours they're gaining a solid foothold in the City of London, area.
    Always worth keeping an eye on the doings of those arseholes - anyone with more info than that?

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Ultrasoundwave 28 Feb 2013 11:53:17 3,418 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• SClaw 28 Feb 2013 11:54:24 826 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I didn't watch this with the sound on, but it looks like some dumbass filmed the TV with a camera so it's probably got shit or crazy sound. But this is the advert, apparently.

It's creepy as fuck without the sound on, so I can imagine how shit-sinister it is with it on.
  • Deleted user 28 February 2013 11:56:44
    Doesn't it just ask for money all the time? Don't know enough about it to comment but the little I heard sounds bad.
  • Deleted user 28 February 2013 11:57:47
    Isnt it well known that the stories that form the origins of Scientology were the work of a science fiction writer - someone Hubbard??

Its just a nonsense that it can claim to be a religion when the origins can cleary be traced to some loony author from the 1960's.

Cult is the word I prefer.
  • MetalDog 28 Feb 2013 11:58:51 23,920 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Heh. The uploader is filtering all comments to make it look as though no one is critical, I think.

http://www.xenu.net/

• spindle9988 28 Feb 2013 12:00:20 3,676 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I just can't believe it's on British tv,
  • spindle9988 28 Feb 2013 12:00:28 3,676 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Post deleted
  • SClaw 28 Feb 2013 12:01:06 826 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    OK I watched it with the (crap quality) sound. Itís like a piss poor university advert. Nothing to get excited about.

@Pepsipop It failed itís charitable status bid in the UK (and thus is not, officially speaking, a religion) because itís not open about the core tenants of its faith. You do indeed have to buy your way into the religion gradually.
  • Deleted user 28 February 2013 12:03:20
    Alipan wrote:
    Isnt it well known that the stories that form the origins of Scientology were the work of a science fiction writer - someone Hubbard??

Its just a nonsense that it can claim to be a religion when the origins can cleary be traced to some loony author from the 1960's.

Hmmm...

/ponders whether to "go there"
  • craigy Staff 28 Feb 2013 12:03:40 7,850 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hah, it's very similar to the "Here's to the crazy ones" Apple advert.

• SClaw 28 Feb 2013 12:05:04 826 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Before this spirals off into vague insults Ė and pulls away from the important fact these fuckers have an advert out Ė letís just be clear that ALL religions are bat shit crazy. So, ultimately, these guys believe in aliens or some shit. WellÖ plenty of Christians believe a magic man made them. Itís all crazy, so believe whatever the hell you like.

The real issue with these guys is there cult-like business model and operational secrecy. Thatís why we should hate and belittle them, not because of what they believe. I think itís an important distinction.
  • Deleted user 28 February 2013 12:05:26
    kalel wrote:

Hmmm...

I want to, but you're right.
  • L_Franko Moderator 28 Feb 2013 12:06:05 9,697 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Alipan wrote:

Hmmm...

I nearly did but thought better of it and deleted my text before posting.
  • sega 28 Feb 2013 12:06:05 908 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    SClaw wrote:
    You do indeed have to buy your way into the religion gradually.
    I can see EA games taking note.
  • Lukus 28 Feb 2013 12:07:05 19,490 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I always think of Scientology as a brilliant parody of all the other religions. Like Police Squad is to cop dramas.

Paintings & Photographs

• Deleted user 28 February 2013 12:07:44
    SClaw wrote:
    Before this spirals off into vague insults Ė and pulls away from the important fact these fuckers have an advert out Ė letís just be clear that ALL religions are bat shit crazy. So, ultimately, these guys believe in aliens or some shit. WellÖ plenty of Christians believe a magic man made them. Itís all crazy, so believe whatever the hell you like.

The real issue with these guys is there cult-like business model and operational secrecy. Thatís why we should hate and belittle them, not because of what they believe. I think itís an important distinction.
    Yes, fair.

Although I do also think it's a decent challenge for all religious people to have a good hard look at the nonsense that is scientology, and ask themselves some searching comparative questions.
  • neilka 28 Feb 2013 12:09:34 16,563 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Best just go along with whatever other people tell you is true. As long as those people look a bit like you obviously.

BAAANG!!!!! EXPLOTION!!!!!

• MetalDog 28 Feb 2013 12:10:41 23,920 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    SClaw wrote:
    Absolutely this. The 'church of scientology' wants people to equate them to other religions so that the argument stays on philosophical grounds, instead of the practical ground concerning their fear-tactics, scams, attempts to defame critical voices, stifle free speech, attempts to infiltrate government bodies, acts of illegal incarceration and all the other fuckery they get up to.

• Deleted user 28 February 2013 12:12:11
    I see the implications of my earlier post. It was written in a hurry and I wasnt trying to cast a wider net if you know what I mean.

Im sure most members know that scientology is nonsense. I imagine it has a similar appeal to something like the Freemasons. Some people enjoy the secrecy and its probably a method of making social connections.
  • Tonka 28 Feb 2013 12:14:10 21,361 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Questions make baby jesus cry.
    Oh, come hither with ye questions.
    Luke 12:14

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• magicpanda 28 Feb 2013 12:14:42 13,486 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Check out the death of Floe Barnett. The Scientology leaders Mother in law committed suicide with a rifle by shooting herself 3 times in the chest and once in the temple.

Her daughter has not been seen in public since 2006.
  • SClaw 28 Feb 2013 12:17:09 826 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Alipan wrote:
    I see the implications of my earlier post. It was written in a hurry and I wasnt trying to cast a wider net if you know what I mean.

Im sure most members know that scientology is nonsense. I imagine it has a similar appeal to something like the Freemasons. Some people enjoy the secrecy and its probably a method of making social connections.
    Thatís not a good comparison at all.

Whatever the Freemasons were they are, now, just a club for old men; not unlike the Legion. Thatís it. I was good friends with an old chap who was Mason and, let me tell you, itís not even slightly interesting; they just go to the pub together and have a Christmas dinner every year. I could have been one even, but I donít like going to the pub or turkey so there was nothing in it for me.
  • neilka 28 Feb 2013 12:21:03 16,563 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Questions make baby jesus cry.
    Oh, come hither with ye questions.
    Luke 12:14
    If an aeroplane is on a treadmill and its engines are running such that the wheels are moving at the same speed as the treadmill, will the plane take off?

BAAANG!!!!! EXPLOTION!!!!!

• nickthegun 28 Feb 2013 12:22:54 61,349 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    spindle9988 wrote:
    I just can't believe it's on British tv,
    Why not?

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Tonka 28 Feb 2013 12:23:01 21,361 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Of course it will.
    Matt 3:12-67

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous