Eurogamer Expo 2013 Page 36

• Page

of 47 First / Last

• cubbymoore 29 Sep 2013 12:38:25 36,478 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bill Bailey is there today, a little bird told me.
  • Deleted user 29 September 2013 12:38:30
    beastmaster wrote:
    In the queue for Killzone 3. Watching it now with two people in front of me.

Fuck it, I'm going a bit against the grain here but I think the graphics are stunning and is the first game I've seen that screams next-gen.

How it plays, I'll soon find out but from totally dismissing it, I think I'll be getting this day one.

New controller will certainly help as well. Not long now...

They have got War Thunder! Got to play that.
    I don't think that's against the grain at all, most people seem to agree the new KZ is the most next gen looking game. It does look stunning indeed. Shame I've never taken to the KZ gameplay.
  • beastmaster 29 Sep 2013 12:42:33 11,295 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @brokenkey

They are doing the draw at around 6.30pm.

Edit: I'll check what happens as I don't think I'll be around there then.

Edited by beastmaster at 12:43:38 29-09-2013

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• beastmaster 29 Sep 2013 12:49:45 11,295 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The new KZ is certainly helped by that rather lovely new controller.

Played War Thunder and it's a tad difficult to control but it's just my kind of game. I assume any assists can be switched off but you'll need some as it's not on a PC. Perhaps. More arcade than simulation which is fine by me.

Taking a break now but will go back into the fray and try and get a go on Bayonetta 2

• munchk 29 Sep 2013 13:58:26 13 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Had a great day on Thursday. The usual excellent organisation and a nice spread of games to see. For me, too many games were unavailable to see and behind "closed doors", if you queue.

I am only able to go for one day and accept that I go to see most games and not queue for hours to play. One assumption is that some of these games were 18 rated (COD for example) in the ground floor general section. Even if not behind closed doors the queues made it hard to view the action (Titan fall and battlefield which were played on tiny little monitors)

This was most obvious with the xbox one release titles. I had hoped to come away from Thursday desperate to buy an xbox one, but feel that for a console about to drop in 7 weeks we really didn't see it shown off.

For balance, the sony area was a little more open and we got to at least hold a controller (!). We also saw some amazing gameplay of assassins creed on the ps4, that was nicely shown off.

The best thing about the show was how the inde section is growing. Fantastic innovation and some great game themes/ideas.

Edited by munchk at 14:01:18 29-09-2013
  • Deleted user 29 September 2013 14:06:59
    Anyone play titanfall? The press are reporting it is the best game at all the gaming shows of late but not seen any opinions from you fine people.
  • spamdangled 29 Sep 2013 14:19:48 27,276 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That will be because it has a queue a the size of Weymouth.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Whizzo 29 Sep 2013 14:30:18 43,061 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I was sceptical of Titanfall and the level of praise it's been getting as it just looked like CoD with mechs. In a lot of ways it is but most importantly it's what CoD should have evolved into rather than playing safe.

I doubt it will replace Battlefield as my preferred online shooter but I will be picking it up on PC. It reminded me a bit of Brink with the parkour and story elements to it but it's far better than how that turned out.

The work Respawn team have done with the Source engine is extremely impressive too.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Whizzo 29 Sep 2013 14:33:33 43,061 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Call of Duty: Ghosts is the first non-18 rated CoD so that's why it was on the ground floor and not hidden away.

• MrTomFTW Moderator 29 Sep 2013 14:36:22 37,681 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    In the indie arcade there was a game that I'm trying to find the name of. It was a top down almost Geometry Wars style game where you controlled a spaceship that you could change into a triangle, square and pentagon. You had to match the shape of the enemies you were ramming in to.

I know it's on Steam Greenlight and I want to check it out further...

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• ReloadingForWimps 29 Sep 2013 14:40:48 5 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Day 1 queuing to get in was long and dull, but worth playing for a four day pass and able to walk right in every day.

My game of show was Titan Fall, it flowed, looked good and was instinctive to play (Although I lost my Spawned Titan).

Puppeteer was a close second, charming beautiful game.

Check out also: Velocity 2X, Exploding Zoo, Xenolith ( Great pick up and play ).
  • Luz1978 29 Sep 2013 14:51:04 16 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Choppi

Played, only one round, likes it, but not blown away!!
    Played nice and fluid and was interesting to switch from titans to foot and back again, I think u get a Titan based on time, not score, so everyone would get atleast 1-2 per round....
    I will be playing TF on my pc and getting a ps4.
    Played ryes and it felt really unresponsive and clunky, was a co-op mode that I played.
    Wolfenstein is ok, more of the same, BF4 and COD are just updates, no game changers I saw, particularly cod, just seemed the same, but I like it anyway!

Tried Oculus rift, was ok, played Hawken? But seemed to be just a tech demo really, not
    Much to shoot! Would
    Like to play a try multiplayer shooter with it...

Plated KZ on ps4, again was ok and will get it at launch, tried Black Light ret, not next gen, but ok for f2p, have plAyed b4 on pc and got bored quickly.

On another note, just saw Joe Hart walking round london!!!
  • Whizzo 29 Sep 2013 14:51:42 43,061 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Still trying to remember the name of the bonkers indie game where you do different daft actions on a huge controller with near constantly shifting colours therefore changing the action.

A terrible game for the colour blind, great for everyone else.

/bear /bear /rockstar etc

Edited by Whizzo at 14:52:10 29-09-2013

• MrTomFTW Moderator 29 Sep 2013 15:07:05 37,681 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I can't find that game on the Indie Arcade list, but I did find the one I was looking for - Xenolith.

http://www.snowbolt.com/

• NotSoSlim 29 Sep 2013 15:14:56 3,119 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Will be off to the Expo at the NEC as well as Earls Court next year me thinks. However, this year has helped me decide to hold off on Xbox One.

Can wait until Titanfall. For all the pretty graphics owning both machines is an outlay i cannot justify. PS4 indie push is added bonus as seems ther will always be something to play.
  • graysonavich 29 Sep 2013 15:17:35 7,320 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The length of the queues this year was pretty mental. Saturday definitely felt like there were twice as many people as last year.
  • altitude2k 29 Sep 2013 15:27:04 4,044 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's great to hear people comparing and discussing the games rather than bitching about the damned hardware.
  • beastmaster 29 Sep 2013 15:29:31 11,295 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's only going to get bigger. Won't have new consoles there but you'll have the big Xmas games.

Now queuing up for Bayonetta 2.

• King_Edward 29 Sep 2013 15:35:25 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    What's all the transsexual hubbub about on Twitter? Apparently a journo was referred as an 'it' on stage by some comedian.
  • Whizzo 29 Sep 2013 15:40:00 43,061 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think it was a presenter on the Xbox One stage being an idiot, considering how fucking moronic they've been all expo I'm not surprised one of them really screwed up.

Not a great bit of PR Microsoft.

• spamdangled 29 Sep 2013 15:45:29 27,276 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @NotSoSlim

That's cool, though I think you should check out the ID@xbox scheme. They're really pushing indie development, with a net-yaroze sort of vibe.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• NotSoSlim 29 Sep 2013 16:05:38 3,119 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @darkmorgado Yea but wont be much until 2014 according to reports. Think its a great machine but over £500 is alot for me just to play Dead Rising and Forza.

Soon as Titanfall hits i am all over it

Edited by NotSoSlim at 16:05:54 29-09-2013

Edited by NotSoSlim at 16:06:25 29-09-2013
  • spamdangled 29 Sep 2013 16:44:40 27,276 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Leaving for home after the eg podcast session.

Game of the show.... Well, I need to give a joint award here. Octodad was brilliant, a genuine laugh out loud game. But Dream.... That blew me away with Oculus Rift. A genuine next gen experience playing with the headset. Nearly shat myself in the maze when I saw the cloud barrelling towards me after I turned a corner.

• urban 29 Sep 2013 16:55:52 10,938 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Xbox One Presenter Humiliated Me on Stage, Says Transgender Journalist

Edited by urban at 16:56:29 29-09-2013
  • Deleted user 29 September 2013 17:07:57
    Tbf, s/he looks like a dude. And if you are going to fill a convention hall with social retards/cosplay ladyboys, mistakes are going to happen.
  • Armoured_Bear 29 Sep 2013 17:08:36 10,511 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    urban wrote:

Wearing a wig and a skit makes you transgender these days?

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• beastmaster 29 Sep 2013 17:12:15 11,295 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm done. My knees and feet are anyway, so that's it.

The Friday and Saturday nights were fantastic fun and it was great to finally meet some of you.

Game of the show? Genuinely surprised I'm going with this but Killzone really stood out for me. As did the PS4 indie games.

After Expo repercussions are
    Drive Club - out
    Killzone - in
    Assassin's Creed 4 - in
    Wii U - in (Batonetta 2 and Donkey Kong sold it to me. Not payed a Mario game since the first one on the DS and that looked good. As did Mario Kart & Wonderful 101. Now, if one of these was bundled for £199...).

NFS Rivals looks interesting as well.

Will also get the UK version of Cards Against Humanity when it comes out. That was such a laugh playing with Broken Key and them two ladies in the pub last night.

Edited by beastmaster at 17:13:23 29-09-2013

• MrTomFTW Moderator 29 Sep 2013 17:17:10 37,681 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    urban wrote:

Wearing a wig and a skit makes you transgender these days?
    Identifying as transgender makes you transgender.

edit: I said Kotaku made the same mistake, they haven't - I'm just tired and misread it.

Edited by MrTomFTW at 17:19:02 29-09-2013

Edited by MrTomFTW at 17:33:05 29-09-2013

• Deanobi 29 Sep 2013 17:20:41 27 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Choppi wrote:
    Anyone play titanfall? The press are reporting it is the best game at all the gaming shows of late but not seen any opinions from you fine people.
    Whizzo wrote:
    I was sceptical of Titanfall and the level of praise it's been getting as it just looked like CoD with mechs. In a lot of ways it is but most importantly it's what CoD should have evolved into rather than playing safe.

I doubt it will replace Battlefield as my preferred online shooter but I will be picking it up on PC. It reminded me a bit of Brink with the parkour and story elements to it but it's far better than how that turned out.

The work Respawn team have done with the Source engine is extremely impressive too.

FOR IMAGES PLEASE FOLLOWING LINK: http://titanfallforums.net/showthread.php?tid=14

I was brave enough to face the 3 hour wait at Eurogamer for Titanfall, and I'm pleased to report was justly rewarded.

Approaching the over 18 floor via escalator I was met with a 5 person wide wall stretching roughly 80 meters across the view of massive booths such as Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag and Wolfenstein: The New Order.
    After 2.5 hours of queuing I finally reached the back of the Titanfall booth where we were greeted by staff and developers, then shown to some seats to view a short introductory video.

This video gave viewers a few brief details on who Respawn were and what Titanfall was about, alongside giving us information on the three basic Pilot and Titanfall classes we were about to play (yes you can mix and match Pilots to different Titans).

The three Pilot classes were; Assault; Tactical; & CQB. All these three classes had the B3 Wingman as a Sidearm, one frag grenade and the special ability of Clock (which makes the pilot invisible). There were another 5 unlockable spaces for classes.

The Assault class load-out was the R-101C automatic holosighted assault rifle (Main Weapon) and Sidewinder (Anti-Titan Weapon), which is a rapid-fire rocket launcher.

The Tactical class load-out was the Smart Pistol (Main Weapon) which could lock on to multiple enemies at close range (even firing round corners), and the Magnetic Grenade Launcher or MGL (Anti-Titan Weapon).

And the last Pilot class; the CQBís load-out was the EVA-8 shotgun (Main Weapon) and the Archer (Anti-Titan Weapon) which was a lock on rocket launcher.

The three Titan classes were; Main Battle Titan; Heavy Weapon Titan &; High Explosive Titan.

The Main Battle Titanís main weapon was the 40mm Cannon. This 40mm cannon fires a high powered explosive round which comes with 4 extra clips (14 rounds each). The Main Battle Titanís special ability was a force field, which momentary stops bullets and repels them (holding the force field for too long will repel the bullets into yourself). This titan class also came equipped with frag grenades.

The Heavy Weapon Titanís main weapon was the Arc Cannon. The Arc Cannon fires a lightning bolt at a low rate of fire with a short charge-up time. When firing the arc cannon at a cluster of enemies, plasma arcs will erupt from the main point of contact, connecting close-by enemies with the target, electrocuting a group. The Heavy Weapon Titanís special ability was electric smoke, which is a smoke screen which severely distorts enemy Pilots and Titans in the vicinity. This titan class came equipped with cluster rockets.

And the last Titan class; the High Explosive Titanís main weapon was the Titan Rocket Launcher. This weapon fires a tight-knit cluster of 4 rockets exploding upon impact at the target. Like the Heavy Weapon Titan it came equipped with electric smoke and cluster rockets. This was the best Titan to use if you wanted to cause unprecedented power (the Anti-Titan Titan if you will).

All Pilot and Titan weapons within the game had two slots; one for a modification, and the other for a attachment.

Finally the video explained that we would be playing the pre-alpha multi-player campaign level of Attrition which is effectively team death match where players must hold out again the enemy until the clock runs down. The map would be Angel City; more precisely the harbour district of a futuristic urban city under IMC control. The IMC or Interstellar Manufacturing Corporation is a main faction in the game.

Once the video ended we had another 15 or so minutes of waiting till we were finally seated in front of screen with an Xbox 360 controller. I was assigned on a team of 6 as an IMC player. Our role was to simply eliminate the other faction of 6 players the M-Cor (a militia formed by the colonies to defend against the invading forces of the IMC). The Pilot Class I chose was CQB and the Titan Class I chose was the Main Battle Titan.

The button configuration was detailed on a sheet in front of us which I can reveal as following:

Left Thumb Stick (Move/Hold down to sprint for Pilot and Titan)
    Right Thumb Stick (Look/Push down to melee for Pilot and Titan)
    Left Trigger (Aim for Pilot and Titan)
    Left Bumper (Special ability for Pilot and Titan)
    Right Trigger (Fire for Pilot and Titan)
    Right Bumper (Throw/Fire cluster rockets or grenades for Titan)
    Y (Weapon cycle for Pilot)
    X (Reload/Hold to enter Titan)
    B (Crouch)
    A (Jump/Evade for Titans)
    Down (Call Titan/Instruct)
    Left (Anti-Titan Weapon)

As you can see the buttons for Pilots and Titans are identical which make it very easy to switch between the two comfortably.

Upon starting the game the countdown for my individual Titan started at 2 minutes, however I could decrease the time simply by earning points. I chose to start the match by attempting to flank the opposition by going round the side of the map and behind (being a typical cod player). It actually took me a while to find an enemy as where I was wondering (at one side of the map) it was completely empty. It seemed throughout the match all fighting was isolated to the centre of the map. Nevertheless it gave me a opportunity to try double jumping of walls which was very easy to do straight off the bat. If you were in mid-air and hitting a wall, you would automatically run along it. Eventually I did however find a pack of enemy AI (Militia) who were very slow in firing at me and easy to kill with my shotgun. Using my EVA-8 shotgun I was able to hip-fire without Aiming down the sight and kill them from a far distance. They would respawn a few seconds later only a bit away from where I killed them on the opposition side of the map so I was effectively allowed to spam kills by spawn camping and melee-ing them. Thanks to this my Titan build time was slightly decreased and my Titan was finally ready.

Upon calling my Titan, I was given a short ETA in seconds (counting down) for when my Titan would be down and accessible. This allowed me to judge my run into the open. Once it hit the deck a large field formed around my Titan, Iím assuming protecting enemies from getting in or destroying my Titan. Playing as a Titan compared to a Pilot is slower but of course with more fire power. My first one on one came against an enemy High Explosive Titan, after a bit of a battle I eventually fell after being hit by only a few rockets and ejecting.

Finding yourself in an open space after ejecting where enemy Titans are - I wouldnít recommended, as I was killed instantly by just a wondering rocket. Encountering a Titan as a Pilot is a interesting and fun cat and mouse affair. I had to constantly move and one hit from my Archer wasnít enough to blow up a Titan. I needed at least 3 hits to down one Titan completely. The only negative I found regarding the buttons was that in cycling weapons using Y I could not equip me Anti-Titan weapon. Instead I had to press left on the d-pad. The only weapons I could cycle were just my main and sidearm.

During the game I managed to jump on an enemy Titans back and destroy it within about 15 seconds by firing at its wiring once it was exposed by my Pilot ripping off the cover on its back. I also found that you have the option to respawn as a Titan should you get killed before you call in your Titan as a Pilot.

After about 10 minutes the game was won and over entering the Epilogue, a roughly 50 second segment which I was tasked with preventing the enemy from escaping. I killed two Pilots however the rest were Militia who would just continually spawn a few seconds later just a little distance away from where they were killed. They even kept spawning after the enemy ship escaped providing easy kills for me and a teammate for the remaining 10 or so seconds closing the epilogue.
    Finally the game ended and the scoreboard was revealed. Militia kills would count for the least points, whilst killing a Titan would count for the most. I did manage to get a sneaky look at the title screen which had the options: Join Game; Options; Help &; Quit.

Overall I would say Titanfall met and exceeded my expectations but there is area for improvement. For example it could do with improving the AI Militia's skill, as the Pilot AI were quite slow in reacting and mainly static. Additionally Respawn should allow Anti-Titan weapons to be cycled with the Pilot's main weapon and sidearm with Y, rather than only being accessible by pressing left on the dpad. Increasing the amount of players on both teams (more than 6v6) would improve the enjoyability in my opinion. Incidentally I did get caught up beneath a teammates Titan for a few seconds when I accidentally ran under it, though I'm sure respawn will iron out all the bugs further down the line.

I was also present afterwards when the staff and developers had to reset the systems due to the game dropping frame rates on at least two systems pretty much to a standstill but Iím sure thatís just pre-alpha for you just like my incident being trapped under a teammates Titan, much more optimisation to come. If I had to give it a release style rating today based on that one game, one map Iíd give Titanfall a 4.5 out of 5. I'm sure come Spring 2014 it'll be a 5 out of 5.

p.s For those interested I would give the Beta versions of Call of Duty: Ghosts a 1 out of 5 and Battlefield 4 a 3.5 out of 5 compared to Titanfall's Pre-Alpha 4.5/5.

FOR IMAGES PLEASE FOLLOWING LINK: http://titanfallforums.net/showthread.php?tid=14

Edited by Deanobi at 17:23:03 29-09-2013
  • munchk 29 Sep 2013 17:21:29 13 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @MrTomFTW android cactus?
  • Page

of 47 First / Last