Starting a PS2 collection

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • Ultrasoundwave 28 Feb 2013 08:58:46 3,411 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Long story short - i picked up a new, slim PS2 quite cheap. So far i've managed to get Resi 4, MGS 2+3, Shadow of the Colossus, God of War and Indiana Jones to go with it (all new and sealed also).

Basically, i'm thinking of getting a collection together as a small investment.

Looking around on Amazon, its very rare that you can find an older console in new condition and, when you do find one, their worth even more money!.

Anyway, i'm after ideas for either PS2 games that you'd think would appreciate in value or other PS2 related things (peripherals, books, etc) to go with it.

Any help would be appreciated.

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• Triggerhappytel 28 Feb 2013 09:03:57 2,695 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dark Chronicle
    Ico
    Okami
    Silent Hill 2
    Dark Cloud
    Primal
  • Flying_Pig 28 Feb 2013 09:08:48 11,492 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Gregory Horror Show?
    Auto Modellista?
    Beyond Good & Evil?
    Psychonauts?
  • Deleted user 28 February 2013 09:09:21
    Trouble with collecting these days is that any game is subject to an HD re-release or some such which can torpedo the value of rare games.

My own personal opinion (and this is from someone who has collected a lot of stuff) is that its just not worth it anymore.

I would say collect for enjoyment by all means. If prices go up that’s a bonus but don’t count on it.
  • spamdangled 28 Feb 2013 09:18:54 27,441 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    Long story short - i picked up a new, slim PS2 quite cheap. So far i've managed to get Resi 4, MGS 2+3, Shadow of the Colossus, God of War and Indiana Jones to go with it (all new and sealed also).

Basically, i'm thinking of getting a collection together as a small investment.

Looking around on Amazon, its very rare that you can find an older console in new condition and, when you do find one, their worth even more money!.

Anyway, i'm after ideas for either PS2 games that you'd think would appreciate in value or other PS2 related things (peripherals, books, etc) to go with it.
    What sort of genres? There's a tonne of good JRPGs on the system.

The value of the following is debatable, but I think these games have a place in any self-respecting PS2 collection:

Amplitude
    Frequency
    Atelier Iris trilogy
    Gregory Horror Show
    Rogue Galaxy
    Jak and Daxter: Precursor Legacy
    Timesplitters trilogy
    Dragon Quest: Journey of the Cursed King
    Silent Hill 2
    Fantavision
    SSX Tricky
    Maximo: Ghosts to Glory
    Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
    Katamari Damacy
    Burnout 3: Takedown
    Valkyrie Profile 2
    Final Fantasy 12

Some of those are multiplatform titles, and some have since received HD ports (though please stay away from the awful Silent Hill ones and the Devil May Cry trilogy as they are very poor ports), but they are all well worth getting. I've avoided the ones with very good ports (Ico, GoW, Rez, MGS2, ZOE etc) as you're better off getting the upgraded editions.

I would say though that if you're specifically looking for value, you might be better off going for the Gamecube - stuff like Doshin the Giant, Odama, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat etc can fetch very good prices if they're in mint condition.

Edited by darkmorgado at 09:21:09 28-02-2013

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Deleted user 28 February 2013 09:23:55
    Well if you are going to collect ...how about a Capcom theme?

Capcom were very prolific on PS2 and made some really cool and obscure games – most of them can be had quite cheap.

Im thinking Viewtiful Joe 1&2, Haunting Ground, God Hand, Chaos Legion, Devil Kings, Shadow of Rome, Under the Skin, Gregory Horror Show, Devil May Cry’s, Shinobi, Maximo, Okami, etc…
  • mrpon 28 Feb 2013 09:24:13 29,562 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Godhand seems like a cult classic.

Fuck

Edited by mrpon at 09:24:37 28-02-2013

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• Savatage 28 Feb 2013 09:26:54 38 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    God of War 1 and 2. First game is still my favourite of the series.
  • nickthegun 28 Feb 2013 09:37:21 61,299 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You should be able to find anything that will increase in value quite easily as it will already be more expensive than any other title. Everything else is just landfill.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• pistol 28 Feb 2013 09:44:17 13,019 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've still got one of the orginal Jap PS2's that has been chipped, but most of my games are from Japan.

Remember ATV Fury?
  • Ultrasoundwave 28 Feb 2013 09:45:37 3,411 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    You should be able to find anything that will increase in value quite easily as it will already be more expensive than any other title. Everything else is just landfill.
    Well yeah, thats the thing. I read somewhere that apparently there are something like 10,000 games available for the PS2 - whats more ridiculous than that is that, somewhere, you know there is someone trying to collect all those games. :eek:

Personally, i'm not after any specific genres, just the kind of iconic PS2 games and peripherals that the system will be remembered for.

• nickthegun 28 Feb 2013 09:53:24 61,299 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Unfortunately for you 'Iconic' isnt the same thing as 'valuable'.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• quadfather 28 Feb 2013 09:54:31 13,365 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Ultrasoundwave - yeah yeah, You want them all don't you - admit it :)

You need the Silent hill's for starters
    How about all the project zero's too? (I might be able to give you a good price for the first 3 :) )
    There's plenty more horror out there too

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• dominalien 28 Feb 2013 09:58:49 7,065 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @quadfather

Ah, no. I'll take the PZs off your hands quaddy, thank you very much. Please let me know what sort of price you have in mind.

Edited by dominalien at 09:59:07 28-02-2013

Edited by dominalien at 09:59:31 28-02-2013

PSN: DonOsito

• spamdangled 28 Feb 2013 10:03:22 27,441 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    ^^^

The "iconic" games that the system is remembered for are, by and large, the biggest-selling titles on the system and can be had for only a couple of quid.

The most valuable games on a system actually tend to be the worst ones, as noone bought them when they came out and they ended up being printed in very limited numbers.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• quadfather 28 Feb 2013 10:06:30 13,365 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    whoa, hang on a minute, those PZ's are going for a lot of cash online - I need to think about this! I didn't realise that

• boo 28 Feb 2013 10:10:13 11,935 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'd second what others have said - don't bother buying as an investment, as re-releases tend to scupper that. Just buy some decent games to play.

Off the top of my head...

Ico
    Metal Gear Solid (unless you've got it for the PS1)
    Beyond Good and Evil
    Grand Theft Auto : Vice City
    Zone Of The Enders
    ZOE : The 2nd Runner
    Jak & Daxter : The Precursor Legacy
    SOTC

Just Another Lego Blog

• dominalien 28 Feb 2013 10:12:54 7,065 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @quadfather

I'll still take them off your hands for a good price. Let me know if you decide to sell. :-)

PSN: DonOsito

• spamdangled 28 Feb 2013 10:13:05 27,441 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    boo wrote:

You mean Twin Snakes? Pretty sure that was a Gamecube exclusive and never found its way to anything else.

• PazJohnMitch 28 Feb 2013 10:17:41 8,727 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My favourites were:

Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
    Makai Kingdoms
    FFXII
    Dragons Quest VIII
    Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
    Ico
    Shadow of the Collosus
    Canis Canem Edit (Bully)
    God of War
    Persona 3: FES
    Ratchet and Clank 3

Edited by PazJohnMitch at 10:18:29 28-02-2013
  • Ultrasoundwave 28 Feb 2013 10:21:37 3,411 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    ^^^

The "iconic" games that the system is remembered for are, by and large, the biggest-selling titles on the system and can be had for only a couple of quid.

The most valuable games on a system actually tend to be the worst ones, as noone bought them when they came out and they ended up being printed in very limited numbers.

When i had a look around for iconic PS2 games yes, some of them sold big numbers and can be found quite cheap (for example, Metal Gear Solid 2 for £12).

However, I recently picked up Shadow of the Colossus for £50 and you cant find it anywhere for less than that (new).

The value of the iconic games doesnt seem to be consistent IMO.

• spamdangled 28 Feb 2013 10:27:30 27,441 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    However, I recently picked up Shadow of the Colossus for £50 and you cant find it anywhere for less than that (new).
    Oh?

And the HD remake actually runs a lot better than the original, which had horrendous framerate problems.

Edited by darkmorgado at 10:28:29 28-02-2013

• Ultrasoundwave 28 Feb 2013 10:31:59 3,411 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    Oh?

And the HD remake actually runs a lot better than the original, which had horrendous framerate problems.

Condition:Like New
    “slight wear on corners of the outer box but disc is virtually perfect along with instructions and the art cards”
    Sorry to be pedantic, but with the PS2 i'm only after new, factory sealed stuff as that seems to be what gains the most in value.

I've got the HD remake on the PS3 (played it and Ico, both spectacular) but i still picked up the PS2 version because, like i say, its one of the iconic games for the system.

• spamdangled 28 Feb 2013 10:34:18 27,441 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So you don't actually want to even play the games?

I just don't see the point in that personally...

As I said though, you will make the most money, if that's really all you're interested in, by going after the really, really shit releases on any system. Failed consoles, awful games, terrible peripherals - boxed and new, they fetch stupid money.

If you want to make money out of good games, you're going to have to spread out to more than one system because, to be honest, you're not going to find much.

Edited by darkmorgado at 10:37:17 28-02-2013

• Deleted user 28 February 2013 10:51:53
    Time to buy is when the stuff is still on general sale but going cheap. I bought loads of sealed Xbox and PS2 stuff at the end of last gen from places like Amazon, Play.com and Comet. Not trying to be an arse but I got a sealed Sotc (inc art cards) for £15 in a Comet sale.

In my opinion the boat has already sailed on making money on PS2 games.

If I was trying to make money now I would be looking at obscure sealed DS games that are still on sale. So many strange RPG's and oddities on that system.
  • boo 28 Feb 2013 13:48:05 11,935 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    boo wrote:

You mean Twin Snakes? Pretty sure that was a Gamecube exclusive and never found its way to anything else.
    Nope. I mean the original, PS1, Metal Gear Solid. If the OP's only just got round to buying a PS2, then it's entirely possible that he hasn't got / had a PS1.
    In which case he may not have played MGS.

Which is a crime!

If he has a PS2, he can pick up MGS and rectify the situation.

Just Another Lego Blog

• Ultrasoundwave 28 Feb 2013 14:08:10 3,411 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I have a PS1 and i have Metal Gear Solid for it. I also have a GameCube and MGS: Twin Snakes, so you can relax! :cool:

• quadfather 28 Feb 2013 14:09:39 13,365 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    you haven't got project zero 1-3 though :)

• Ultrasoundwave 28 Feb 2013 14:12:31 3,411 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dammit quad!, you and your salesman tactics wont work here!

• quadfather 28 Feb 2013 14:21:52 13,365 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've got number 4 too :)

But that's the jap version and I haven't got it work yet :/

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous