Hiding games in XMB or child friendly account?

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • ZuluHero 27 Feb 2013 23:23:29 4,010 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So my 5 year old is getting more and more into PS3 gaming. At the moment she's just playing on my main account, but my other half isn't happy that she has to scroll through all the scary games, complete with some of their horrifying splash screens (RDR: undead nightmare is particularly gruesome) mixed in to my game list to find her child friendly LBP, pooyoos and da blobs.

If I create a new user, all the games are still visible, so will parental controls hide the offending games or failing that is there some manual way to hide them?
  • Triggerhappytel 27 Feb 2013 23:45:24 2,667 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I know by pressing square you can file games differently - maybe you can customise it? I don't know about parental controls as I've never used them, but I doubt they hide the games rather than lock them out.
  • ZuluHero 27 Feb 2013 23:48:13 4,010 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ahh that might be enough, if I can create a folder or something and move the more adult stuff in there, that might buy me some time to figure out something better!
  • graysonavich 27 Feb 2013 23:53:02 7,309 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Little shits get their sticky fucking jam fingers everywhere these days.
  • kingcrowbar 28 Feb 2013 07:13:12 911 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The parental controls on PS3 are rubbish. You can set the level of games visible on the new account but it is system wide so you essentially have the same level on your account.

You could put them in an album together but good luck trying to figure out if you want to play "Restricted content" the FPS, "Restricted content" the RPG or "Restricted content" the Adventure since everything over the level you have allowed appears that way.

You will need to switch off parental controls globally when you use it and remember to put it back on again each time or learn the file sizes to identify the games.

It's something I hope gets more attention for the next consoles as they are all as bad as each other atm.
  • FuzzyDuck 28 Feb 2013 18:34:20 3,884 posts
    Seen 43 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @ZuluHero

If you click triangle on a downloaded game and then select 'information', it should allow you to edit what album that title belongs to (should be blank by default). Name it whatever you want, name the other games you want to group together with it in the same manner, press square on the XMB in the 'game' column until it says 'by all' and it should have them all bunched into a folder with the name you specified.

Bit fiddly way of implementing it, but it works!
  • dominalien 28 Feb 2013 18:40:05 6,821 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Of course the parental controls are system-wide, there's no password protection for accounts. Setting them on, however, should give you the option to input the password to access games above the rating, so,they'll basically do what you need them to.

PSN: DonOsito

• ZuluHero 28 Feb 2013 21:38:43 4,010 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thanks guys, offending content both hidden and locked with a pass code. I basically had to mess with the levels until it would show stuff like Lego, and nothing 'worse'.

You're right, it is account wide, which is really annoying as it would be cool to have different levels and set ups for different users in the house, like young kids, teenagers and adults, but I guess it's a start.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next