Do video games cause violence? Page 2

• Page

of 4 First / Last

• Murbal 26 Feb 2013 13:56:28 21,565 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    neilka wrote:
    I once disembowelled a man with a broken Sonic Adventure disc.
    Is that because the f***er tried to fix it for you?
  • craigy Senior UI Designer, Gamer Network 26 Feb 2013 13:56:57 7,386 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There may not be a direct link to video games and violence (yet), but they are linked to other problems like low self-esteem, lowered empathy, lowered social skills, depression, schizoid disorders, introversion, and narcissism. All media is, though: even books. The book "iDisorder" is a good primer on the subject.
  • cubbymoore 26 Feb 2013 13:57:04 36,443 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Which came first, violence or video games? Or religion...? Hm?
  • Trafford 26 Feb 2013 13:57:22 5,277 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It is unproven, however Nintendo can turn you into a Vile Nonce.
  • MetalDog 26 Feb 2013 13:57:27 23,706 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Depends.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• whatfruit 26 Feb 2013 13:57:35 1,082 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Have you been reading the New Statesman?
  • santashi 26 Feb 2013 13:59:08 4,940 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I once smacked a friend and a wardrobe while playing a video game. It was my first time using a Wii and I think I overestimated how much flailing the tennis required.

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• malloc 26 Feb 2013 13:59:37 2,140 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    How about this... Do video games have an effect on the gamer? If so then what effect?

I think it can desensitise a person to violence and lead to an increase in violent behaviour. Video games are unique that you actually take on the role of the protagonist in the game.

Just to add that driving can cause accidents but it doesn't mean nobody should drive, just that sensible precautions should be taken. What and how that should look like is another discussion altogether.
  • Murbal 26 Feb 2013 13:59:54 21,565 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    santashi wrote:
    I once smacked a friend with a wardrobe
    Is how I read that.
  • santashi 26 Feb 2013 14:01:52 4,940 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Murbal wrote:
    santashi wrote:
    I once smacked a friend with a wardrobe
    Is how I read that.
    'Do video games cause superpowers?'

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• PazJohnMitch 26 Feb 2013 14:05:46 7,314 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Video games do not cause violence. However a violent person could fuel their anger by playing games. Games could also give them ideas in much the same way as violent films and books.

Games have the ability to imprint ideas on you. Many people including myself have commented on how games like Mirror's Edge, Crackdown and Assassin's Creed make you view the surrounding buildings in a new, climb-able, way.

So it would not be a huge step forward for games like CoD to make impressionable people want to shoot things. Toy guns are still a common feature in toy shops.

Or for Ninja Gaiden or MGS Rising to make someone want to learn how to fight with a sword. The Star Wars films also glorify sword (light-sabre) fighting. Many kids love to re-enact light sabre fights. It is likely games can have the same effect
  • SClaw 26 Feb 2013 14:06:16 826 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Things that cause violence: Video games. TV. YouTube (The Innocence of Muslims, etc). Movies. Books (Satanic Verses, Das Capital, etc, etc, etc). Religion. Poverty. Wealth. Monarchies. Dictators. Racial and cultural differences. Black Friday sales. Alcohol. Sports… etc, etc, etc…

BAN THAT SICK FILTH. BAN EVERYTHING EVER.
  • Dangerous_Dan 26 Feb 2013 14:15:13 2,175 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    No, it's a way to kill time until you die.
    It occupies your mind as well - so does a lot of entertainment.
    If anything they should do something about people who are not getting entertained - makes them strange.
  • ModishNouns 26 Feb 2013 14:23:16 4,633 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    If anything they should do something about people who are not getting entertained
    Kill them!
  • Dangerous_Dan 26 Feb 2013 14:26:19 2,175 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    You are preaching to the choir. The evil that is brewing in their minds needs to be stopped!!! !!!
  • MightyMetalMonkey 26 Feb 2013 14:35:52 599 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Time spent playing games is time people aren't out killing each other - the answer is obvious - play more games! Force people to play games, introduce a non-gaming tax for not spending every hour on the computer or console... Compulsory game subscriptions for all !

But seriously, the only time I wanted to twat someone in regards to a video game was my cousin James and we were both very young and to be honest, he needed twatting! The little obnoxious gitt (It was his atari games system).
  • Deleted user 26 February 2013 14:43:27
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    My dad is pushing 70 years old, and reads thrillers with very violent themes.

Violence permeates all forms of media within our culture, so if ideas are contagious, which I believe they are, then my answer would be maybe.
    The main difference with games is you are part of the violence where a film you are passively watching it. In say the new tomb raider you choose to put the axe in the mans face. .
  • King_Edward 26 Feb 2013 14:48:41 11,454 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:

Violence permeates all forms of media within our culture, so if ideas are contagious, which I believe they are, then my answer would be maybe.
    The main difference with games is you are part of the violence where a film you are passively watching it. In say the new tomb raider you choose to put the axe in the mans face. .
    It's worse than that even. You're actively rewarded for doing it. 10xp for a headshot and maybe even a lovely Achievement. You can't unlock an extra chapter in a book by re-reading the grizzly bits.

I'd stop short of suggesting that this breeds real world violence though. It's just a pretty sick type of entertainment when you think about.

Edited by King_Edward at 14:51:27 26-02-2013
  • Deleted user 26 February 2013 14:49:02
    Pepsipop wrote:
    SPOILERS!
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 26 Feb 2013 14:50:41 6,654 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:

I guess. It's definitely up for debate.
  • kinky_mong 26 Feb 2013 14:58:33 9,609 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Do video games cause violence?
    No, but people predisposed to certain types of violence can gravitate towards them for entertainment, just as they would to particularly violent films, TV shows, books, etc.

A better question would be "Do video games desensitise people towards violence?", which I think they do to some degree, but again so do other forms of violent media.

Anecdotal evidence would be that I can happily chow down on my dinner while watching a zombies head explode into chunks by having a car boot slammed on it in The Walking Dead, while I imagine others who haven't been exposed to so much fictional violence might not stomach spaghetti bolognaise while watching it.

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• Deleted user 26 February 2013 15:00:37
    craigy wrote:
    There may not be a direct link to video games and violence (yet), but they are linked to other problems like low self-esteem, lowered empathy, lowered social skills, depression, schizoid disorders, introversion, and narcissism. All media is, though: even books. The book "iDisorder" is a good primer on the subject.
    Or do people with those issues have a tendency to play video games more?
  • Dangerous_Dan 26 Feb 2013 15:10:28 2,175 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    If it's about reducing violence in society then I'd give people some drugs which make them more relaxed - add it to the water supply would be an easy solution.

Other than that we could remove violent elements of society. If you believe in genetical inheritance of violence then you'll have to stop them from breeding and remove them from the genepool. Select for the peaceful elements.
    If it's only a mimetic trait then it's sufficient to basically just reiterate over many years, maybe even generations that violence is not acceptable in society and have a punishment/reward system in place.

So then I wonder, if video games still have violent content and we have centuries of mimetic engineering behind us... - curious thing.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 26 Feb 2013 15:17:00 6,654 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Manifesto for the Inverse Peace Nazis
  • Commander Keen 26 Feb 2013 15:17:09 718 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    No.

Unless the FUCKING COMPUTER IS CHEATING!!!! RRRAAWWRRR!!!!!

*Destroys keyboard*
  • craigy Senior UI Designer, Gamer Network 26 Feb 2013 15:19:35 7,386 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Aargh. Yeah, I guess people predisposed to the issues I mentioned above may have a tendency to play video games more than others. If you do suffer from any of the problems mentioned then unfortunately playing too many video games will exacerbate them.

If you feel like any form of technology or media is having a negative effect on your psyche, get out into nature for a while. I'd suggest skinny dipping in a public fountain.
  • Dirtbox 26 Feb 2013 15:30:48 76,372 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    DO cats cause genocide?

Hitler was a cat lover, you know.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• kalel 26 Feb 2013 15:38:47 84,037 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    DO cats cause genocide?

Hitler was a cat lover, you know.
    Dogs.
  • Deckard1 26 Feb 2013 15:40:04 25,499 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    He liked teddys too

bless him

Called it

• Dangerous_Dan 26 Feb 2013 15:45:01 2,175 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Not people cause genocide, ideas cause genocide.

It's bullshit week, didn't you know?
  • Page

of 4 First / Last