The *Official* Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate Thread (Wii-U and 3DS) Page 3

• Page

of 17 First / Last

• scuffpuppies 23 Mar 2013 11:38:33 203 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Started MH3U last Thursday once I'd finished GoW:Judgment, and I'm so surprised...actually, I'm shocked. Why? Because I love it.

I'm a Monster Hunter virgin, and I played the demo but like a lot of people I hated it. In fact I thought it was sh*t, and subsequently deleted it immediately.

But considering other than playing the demo, I hadn't turned on the Wii U for over two months I thought I should at least buy something for it, and I'm so glad I did.

Visually it's 100x better than I expected. Don't get me wrong, this is no God Of War or Gears of War level of fidelity, but it still looks really nice in places and the monsters always look very impressive.

It can be a little confusing at first as Capcom have approached MH3U as though all gamer's have played a Monster Hunter title before, but once you get to grips with the set-up it becomes very, very addictive.

The downside is I have only one friend who owns a Wii U, and he's in New York working for the next 6 months. So as I can't play cross-region right now, I'm stuck with teaming up with random strangers...which I hate.

If anyone on here buys MH3U, and wants to hook-up on a regular basis then please...please send me an invite. I hate being "Billy No Mates".

Anyway, don't judge this game from the demo as it's much much better than that depicted. So give it a go...if only so I have someone to play MH3U with :cry:

XBL: Scuffy P
    PSN: Scuffy_P
    NN: ScuffyP

• Agent_Llama 23 Mar 2013 12:15:08 3,248 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @HurbleBurble Just depends on size of hand I guess. The glorious Kid Icarus has the same effect on me. I think on an XL it'd be more comfy.

Whatever it is, I've picked up the Wii U version as the DS can hook up to it anyway for multiplayer hunting fun.

3DS: Mooky - 2019-9643-8311
    NNid: Agent_Llama
    Vita/PS3/360: Faloola

• Raiko101 23 Mar 2013 17:28:48 5,541 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Kid Icarus might actually be more difficult to play on an XL. Holding that console with one hand isn't really an option and tucking the little finger of the stylus-holding hand under the console isn't a comfortable solution either. I had to rest the console on my lap, with my feet up in order to play it for extended periods of time.

I will say, however, that it was absolutely worth it. It's probably in my top 3 portable games of all time. I'd strongly consider a HD purchase if such a port was ever to happen.

Edit - Getting back on topic though. I've realised i'm buying more games than i'm playing at the minute. Monster Hunter now stares at me from the shelf as I hurry to complete Assassin's Creed III and DQ IX.

Edited by Raiko101 at 17:30:41 23-03-2013

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• daddygerplex 24 Mar 2013 03:54:20 298 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh god i am addicted. I tried playing MHFU on the PSP but it just didnt click. It was so close... This on the other hand seems to explain its systems better and i can actually control it without breaking my hands.

Started off on the Wii U version and said "I DONT WANT THE 3DS ONE" then the next day desperately tried to get the 3DS one and failed from town so got it from the eshop. Now at home i am grinding away on the Wii U and away from the house i am grinding away on the 3DS constantly.

Add me Prop3r Badman if you want to play with a MH noob.
  • Agent_Llama 24 Mar 2013 09:51:21 3,248 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Very much enjoying Wii U version so far. Will add peeps in this thread. My Id is Agent_Llama.

3DS: Mooky - 2019-9643-8311
    NNid: Agent_Llama
    Vita/PS3/360: Faloola

• Deleted user 24 March 2013 11:36:57
    Dear Great Jaggi that randomly appeared in Moga Woods.

Fuck you very much and thanks for all the loot.

Love,

HB.
  • Deleted user 24 March 2013 21:47:25
    Think it's fair to say I am now addicted all over again. Looks great, so utterly charming and the combat is fantastic even without the second analogue pad for camera controls. I now want a WiiU for this and 4.
  • Murbal 25 Mar 2013 08:31:35 21,547 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Few hours in and have just made the village 2* quests although did do a couple of single player excursions from the port. I've put plenty of time into the PSP games so have some history with the franchise.

I have complaints.

Playing on an XL, I can't believe how difficult it is to retain the 3D. The graphics are blurry (are they reusing Wii assets?) and the text can be difficult to read. Controls are second nature to me *except* when swimming. I'm not going to buy a CPP just for this, but just navigating the deepwater areas can be problematic. Having to do a major hunt with these controls? Not looking forward to that...

I love having Moga woods just out the back though, and being able to disappear there for farming resources without taking up a quest is a neat touch.

Regardless of how I feel about the game/controls, other than a couple of hours on Tomb Raider I've played pretty much nothing else this weekend.
  • brokenkey 25 Mar 2013 14:01:17 6,805 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Is there a way to send stuff back to the house without having to return to the village first - I keep running out of bag storage?

Shame about the 3DS XL comments Murbs, I've got a regular 3ds and find the screen way too small. I guess its because they've downscaled the WiiU assets, and the XL screen then scales them back up.

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• Murbal 25 Mar 2013 14:04:58 21,547 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's definitely a '3D off' kinda game.

@brokenkey do you mean if you're out on a hunt? You're stuck with it. Just don't forget to drop it off before heading back out again - I've done that a couple of times ;-)
  • Raiko101 25 Mar 2013 16:10:03 5,541 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I didn't have any troubles with leaving the 3D on for the demo. I'm using the XL too. The underwater controls are definitely problematic though! I would get the CPP again, just for that.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Deleted user 25 March 2013 17:36:42
    So what is the consensus on weapons? This is my first foray into Monster Hunter and currently using the Cerberus Katana, are long swords a good bet? What do you veterans recommend?
  • brokenkey 25 Mar 2013 22:05:15 6,805 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bagpipes.

Edit - never played the game before this weekend.

Oh, and I've somehow got the mini-map zoomed in, I have no idea how I did this. How did I do this?

Edited by brokenkey at 22:06:19 25-03-2013

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• Deleted user 25 March 2013 22:06:46
    @TearYouAsunder I'm sticking to sword and shield at the moment, just upgraded to the commander's dagger. The long swords and great swords are tempting me, particularly given my recent encounters where I think I'd prefer a bit more range though.

Genuinely amazed at how epic it all feels on the little 3ds, but I do agree with 3d on the text can get blurry. Not had any problems with swimming though control wise.
  • redcrayon 26 Mar 2013 11:13:30 4,538 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm playing the 3DS version, and put in 230+ hours on Tri on the Wii, so can probably help if anyone has any questions.

I'm a lance user, and if anyone is having trouble with fighting underwater, I heartily recommend it, as its range compensates a lot of camera difficulties. Plus the lance charge lets you travel quickly even underwater!

General tips for newbies- when foraging in Moga Woods, leave virtually everything at home bar a few bug nets, pick axes, a BBQ spike, maybe a trident. Leave room for collecting lots of stuff.

Mix up your ingredients as you go to save space.

The most important early cocktail you can make is the mega-potion- mix a herb with a blue mushroom for a potion, then honey (forage under any beehive- there in one directly opposite the entrance to the first area, behind that herbivore herd) with a potion for a mega potion.

In one trip, you can easily make ten mega-potions, plus ten potions, plus come back with ten herbs, blue mushrooms and honey for your box in your house.

Get used to dumping stuff you don't need- if you aren't a gunner, insect husks can be dumped etc.

Another early combo- make a net from spiders web (from the beehive) and ivy (the blue plant growing in that first main area). Buy a trap tool from the trader, and combine it with the net to make a pitfall trap. This will give you valuable time to pile on the damage against big monsters. Always take one when heading out to fight a big beastie.

YOu can only carry one pitfall trap at a time. But nothing is stopping you carrying more trap tools and nets to make more traps on the fly ;-) There are also shock traps (thunder bug+ trap tool), barrel bombs and paintballs (for telling you where a monster is if you don't have the 'psychic' skill, i.e. on hunter armour), farcasters (for teleporting to the camp), all common hunter tools, but we can chat about those later on, take it easy to start with and master the tools you have, you'll be a pro in no time :-)

Always prepare your kit for the quest- get used to spending a few seconds doing it every time.
    Going out to forage for mushrooms? Dump everything you don't need.
    Going out to fight? You'll need whetstones, potions and steak. A pro hunter can beat anything with the map, mini-whetstone, ration and Medkit in the quest supplies box, but rookies should go prepared!

When you return to the village from foraging, start building your stocks. Put those well-done steaks and mega-potions in your box, and leave them there. Stockpile for later, get in the habit of preparing more every time you go out on a simple quest. If you are carrying 10 well-done steaks, you are good for one quest but aren't thinking like a campaigning hunter. Stash those steaks. Make more. Soooo tasty!

Put everything from your pouch in the box in the house (don't get confused and put in the gunners pouch by mistake if you are a blade user), that will let you see what your options are for combining stuff.

Learn to use the farm, it'll make things much easier, and also don't be afraid to explore the city, even if you don't want to tackle its quests yet, you can make good use of the shops- you can buy stuff there that you would have to prepare yourself at home if you can spare the cash and are short on time.

One more tip- your box will end up full of all kinds of stuff, that all goes on page 1 (and then 2 etc) when you put it there.. Dedicate one page (I always choose page 6, accessible with one tap of 'l') as your 'go page', and store all of your most-used items there, for ease of finding when you need them. All of my potions, steaks, antidotes, traps, bombs, pickaxes, bug nets, farcasters, dung bombs (for fighting off wyverns that maul you) and paintballs (plus any spare materials for making them) live there, as they are easy to find and allow me to see exactly what I have and what I need to prepare more of at a glance.

I like it when an urgent quest comes up and I can calmly stroll to my house, look at my supplies, and prepare for the hunt accordingly without worrying about what I am short of.

Edited by redcrayon at 15:25:41 26-03-2013
  • oldschoolsoviet 26 Mar 2013 12:18:41 5,415 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Heh, we taught you well, Cid and I.
  • Alastair 26 Mar 2013 12:27:31 14,953 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @redcrayon Are the maps exactly the same as MHTri?
    What is actually different?

Still umming and ahhing about getting a WiiU in order to play this...

Not as nice as I used to be

• midi82 26 Mar 2013 13:19:35 578 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The maps are the same as Tri, the tutorial/intro is a little bit different, I think it's slightly easier to get into than tri was. Maybe that's just experience.
    There's a few new monsters, and a couple of little tweaks, but there aren't really any massive changes. And it's just as addictive as before.
  • DFawkes 26 Mar 2013 13:20:30 22,063 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There is an additional map. Misty Peaks or Misty Mountains, from one of the PSP ones.

Edited by DFawkes at 13:24:52 26-03-2013

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• midi82 26 Mar 2013 13:23:12 578 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    SPOILERS!!!!!
  • midi82 26 Mar 2013 13:23:22 578 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    :)
  • DFawkes 26 Mar 2013 13:25:58 22,063 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sorry about that, I wasn't really thinking there. I do apologise. Have to manually type out the spoiler tags on mobile too, but it's done :)

Probably best keep it a surprise for those that want it to be. Or is the fact there even is an additional map also a spoiler? Just thought that might help Alistair out.

Edited by DFawkes at 13:27:52 26-03-2013

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Alastair 26 Mar 2013 13:31:13 14,953 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I might put a WiiU on my 40th birthday present list and see if the missus bites. Unlikely, but you never know. There might have been a decent price drop by July. I won't miss too much. Based on MHTri people were playing online for a year.

• redcrayon 26 Mar 2013 13:39:28 4,538 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    oldschoolsoviet wrote:
    Heh, we taught you well, Cid and I.
    Yes, yes you did. And now those veteran stripes on my arm allow me to impart such sacred knowhow to others :-)
  • Deleted user 26 March 2013 14:21:18
    @redcrayon

Your tutelage is very much appreciated!

For some stupid reason Ive overlooked the benefits of using traps while going out on normal hunts, Ive only used them for capture quests so far /o\ will cetainly look to employ them on every big hunt from now on.

And thanks for the lance tip, Ive found the underwater hunts most cumbersome so far, will give this a try.
  • Alastair 26 Mar 2013 14:24:23 14,953 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I started Tri with Sword and Shield as it was the default weapon (I think).
    After a few online hunts with Cid I switched to Lance, which I used through to the end. Towards the end I was also experimenting with the Switch thingy..

• midi82 26 Mar 2013 14:26:31 578 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    In tri I started with a Switch-axe and I think I used Hammer quite a lot.

I have gone for a long sword so far with this, just to try something different.
  • redcrayon 26 Mar 2013 15:14:21 4,538 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    I started Tri with Sword and Shield as it was the default weapon (I think).
    After a few online hunts with Cid I switched to Lance, which I used through to the end. Towards the end I was also experimenting with the Switch thingy..
    The ideal is to master several different weapons as some monsters need body parts smashed with a hammer etc, but I also used a lance for 95% of the time, it's my favourite default weapon. It doesn't do the most damage and isn't the quickest, but you get range (also good for hurting the biggest creatures where your head is only up to their knees!) and a nice bit of variety in the move set.

The main reason I chose it was because it seemed appropriate seeing as I grew up watching Jason and the Argonauts, Sinbad etc!
  • redcrayon 26 Mar 2013 15:40:46 4,538 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I know people playing the 3DS version wont have the advantage of learning from watching other hunters, so, for ease of reference, here are the 20 most used combos from my last playthrough, along with what they are used for, I didn't use a guide, and found out either through blood sweat and tears or being told by other hunters! They might not be the best at each role, but they are makable with relatively common materials, which is why I used them for general play and kept a few of each handy in my 'go page' in the item box.

Spoilered in case people want to find out for themselves.

Antidote = Antidote Herb + Blue Mushroom
    (for curing poison)

Barrel Bomb L = Large Barrel + Gunpowder
    (for putting next to sleeping monsters- set ot off with a paintball or small stone!)

Bomb Casing = Iron Ore + Sap Plant
    Bomb Casing = Stone + Sap Plant
    (for making lots of cool tools with)

Cool Drink = Ice Crystal + Bitterbug
    (for keeping you from overheating in the volcano)

Dung Bomb = Dung + Bomb Casing
    Dung Bomb = Dung + Bomb Sac
    (for fighting off monsters that maul you)

Energy Drink = Honey + Nitroshroom
    (replaces energy, similar to a well-done steak)

Farcaster = Exciteshroom + Bomb Casing
    (returns you to the camp, use when low on life to bug out and heal)

Flash Bomb = Flashbug + Bomb Casing
    (can stun some monsters)

Gun Powder = Fire Herb + Nitroshroom
    (for making bombs)

Hot Drink = Bitterbug + Hot Pepper
    (stops you freezing in the snow)

Max Potion = Mega Nutrients + Dragon Toadstool
    (does what it says on the tin)

Mega Bug Net = Monster Bone M + Net
    Mega Pickaxe = Machalite + Ore Bone

Mega Potion = Potion + Honey
    (good potion for simple resources)

Net = Ivy + Spider Web
    (for pitfall traps)

Paintball = Sap Plant + Paintberry
    (for tracking monsters and setting off bombs)

Pitfall Trap = Net + Trap Tool

Potion = Herb + Mushroom

Shock Trap = Thunderbug + Trap Tool

Sonic bomb= screamer+gunpowder
    (for shocking monsters vulnerable to sound/vibration)

You'll also need tranquilliser, mix with bomb casings for tranq bombs to capture monsters you've trapped.

Edited by redcrayon at 15:41:45 26-03-2013

Edited by redcrayon at 15:52:46 26-03-2013

Edited by redcrayon at 15:56:00 26-03-2013
  • Alastair 26 Mar 2013 15:55:34 14,953 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ahhh, the memories come flooding back...

• Page

of 17 First / Last