The *Official* Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate Thread (Wii-U and 3DS) Page 16

• Page

of 43 First / Last

• brokenkey 30 Aug 2013 21:22:20 6,945 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    To be honest, I have no idea how streetpass works or what it actually does..!

Is it a one shot thing, or do I have to re-meet with the same person over time to get updates/new things?
    no, you can keep sending the same Hunter out, mission after mission

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• Alastair 2 Sep 2013 19:52:38 15,441 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Heh! I just took down a Lagiacrus while wearing only Leather armour! Forgot to change after a gathering session.
    :)

Not as nice as I used to be

• DFawkes 2 Sep 2013 20:25:45 22,593 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ooh, check out Mr Invincible! Next time, no armour at all, and take down 5. With the weakest weapons. Blunt ones.

I deactivated Sonic Generations StreetPass so I could activate MH3, and got 3 StreetPasses within a couple of days :) How do you actually make them do stuff though? I found their Guild Cards and added them, but that's all I've managed so far.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Alastair 3 Sep 2013 10:48:55 15,441 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What do people consider to be the best approach for breaking Lagiacrus back spikes?
    I need some Shell Shockers and it seems pretty hit and miss as to whether I manage to break them. I figure using a pitfall trap will help in order to get them lower down. But for general striking should I be using a lance in order to use it's longer reach?

• Deleted user 4 September 2013 17:18:32
    The back is weakest to impact attacks, so they're your best bet. It's also better to capture if you want Shell Shockers.
  • Alastair 4 Sep 2013 22:49:23 15,441 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Cid
    I got one through sheer persistence.
    Next up - Rathalos. Any tips? Am gonna use Bolt Axe (Lagi parts)

• Raiko101 5 Sep 2013 10:40:51 6,062 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I didn't even know you could remove the spikes from the back of a Lagiacrus. It shows how little i've been experimenting with weapons.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Alastair 5 Sep 2013 11:28:17 15,441 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I like the switch axe since I discovered that element discharge move in sword mode.

In case you don't know, press R to switch to sword, then hold X+A and the sword will glow and start to do a discharge. Tap X and the discharge will continue and you get a bit of a boom at the end. It then auto switches back to axe.

• Red_Bool 29 Jan 2014 11:49:07 1,173 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ok, I'm getting a tiny bit annoyed... For the last couple of days I've been trying to complete the ("simple") 2-star quest to capture an Arzuros ("Bear trap") (on 3DS btw). Now I've even looked it up on Youtube and it looks like I'm doing *exactly* the same thing - wait for it to limp, lay down shock trap, throw a couple (i.e. all my) tranq bombs - but still it won't be captured. On Youtube it looked stupidly easy...

Any tips from the resident professional hunters?

Having said that, my handling of the switch-axe has improved quite a bit in the process :)
  • Moot_Point 29 Jan 2014 12:03:38 3,914 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Red_Bool Make sure there are no other enemies around when throwing the tranqs. It is very easy for a jaggi or some other minor monster to get in the way. You can throw tranq bombs at the monster prior to capture to make things easier. It normally takes two bombs for a capture.

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• Raiko101 29 Jan 2014 12:06:02 6,062 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's all a case of knowing how far from death your prey is. They have to be on their last legs. You have to feel that if you attacked it much more, you'd likely kill it. Only when it's that close to death should you be setting up traps.

I do believe their is a skill that can pretty much tell you when you should be laying traps, but it's not something i've dabbled with, myself.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Moot_Point 29 Jan 2014 12:12:04 3,914 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah, that skill is capture guru. I have it, but it's on a charm, not armour.It completes my Hunters armour. Currently upgraded my hunters set to hunters S. I now have outdoorsman (map), autotracker, speed setup and capture guru.

Capture guru makes the monster icon flash when it's ready to capture.

================================================================================

• DFawkes 29 Jan 2014 12:13:50 22,593 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Though I'm certainly no pro, it's worth noting you can take materials to make a second trap, as well as spare tranqs. I usually overcome my lack of skill by stocking up on enough items to make sure I can recover from anything that goes wrong. So make sure you're prepared, just in case ;)

So take at least 1 Trap Tool, which you can buy at the shop by the village docks, and a Thunderbug, or alternatively a Trap Tool and a Net for a Pitfall Trap.

Combine those to make a Trap if you don't manage with the first one.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Red_Bool 29 Jan 2014 12:29:29 1,173 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thanks guys! I'll gives your suggestions are try tonight. Tranq-ing before capture is an interesting one I hadn't thought of yet, the preparation I did consider but the problem for me was running out of tranq bombs (and I don't know how to make those yet). Taking along some extra traps sounds logical :)
  • Moot_Point 29 Jan 2014 12:36:09 3,914 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Sleep herb + parashroom = tranquilliser. Bomb material + tranquilliser = tranq bomb.

Both tranquilliser ingredients are available from flooded forest onwards. I found that annoying because I prefer to capture monsters, rather than kill. You get much more monster parts in comparison to just killing the the monster a majority of the time. 2 captures equates to 3-4 kill rewards.

Edited by Moot_Point at 12:37:18 29-01-2014

• Red_Bool 29 Jan 2014 13:41:30 1,173 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    hmmm, I didn't find any of those items yet (except the bomb casing). Since the game isn't really leading you by the hand (which I like btw) I'm just doing the quests to see where this leads me. It does seem to teach me the basics this way (fishing, gathering, mining and now capturing).
  • Alastair 29 Jan 2014 14:23:10 15,441 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Feels like so long since I played this I can't remember any capture tips apart from the above.
    I think after the monster limps off to rest, you need to hit it a few more times before you can cap.
    Capture Guru is pretty much a must as it makes it all so much easier.

• Alastair 29 Jan 2014 14:27:43 15,441 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Red_Bool Look to make the Bone Armour ASAP - based on a comment I made 2 pages ago it gives Capture Guru.

• Moot_Point 29 Jan 2014 16:14:00 3,914 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Alastair Is capture guru much use without autotracker?

• Alastair 29 Jan 2014 16:17:22 15,441 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yes, it works with paintballs.

• Alastair 29 Jan 2014 16:17:33 15,441 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think.

• Moot_Point 29 Jan 2014 16:28:18 3,914 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I always ever remember to paint a monster when it's ready to escape to another area, so always roll with armour with detect then gem up to autotracker.

My other views on armour in general is that even though there are some nice skills on armour, if a monster is going to kill you anyway, why bother farming for sets other than the beginners ones. (Rathian armour being prime example needing a plate ^_^ )

Mind you, my approach to armour hasn't inhibited my progress at all because it's all about the weapons for me. The only skill I prize is autotracker, and will make any armour set that has it on.

• brokenkey 29 Jan 2014 16:33:12 6,945 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Is autotracker that big a deal? Seems like a waste of a skill for the small time saving it provides.

anti-poison ftw.

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• Moot_Point 29 Jan 2014 16:38:40 3,914 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Red_Bool wrote:
    hmmm, I didn't find any of those items yet (except the bomb casing). Since the game isn't really leading you by the hand (which I like btw) I'm just doing the quests to see where this leads me. It does seem to teach me the basics this way (fishing, gathering, mining and now capturing).
    Something else you could do is go to the tavern (there is a solo and MP section to it) and do the 1* gather quest in flooded forest). Be careful though, because there is a random chance of a monster showing up.

All you need to find is one sleep herb and parashroom, then grow them at the farm. It will be worth taking a pickaxe so you can mine the underwater spots for charms (once appraised become talismans)

• Moot_Point 29 Jan 2014 16:41:28 3,914 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    brokenkey wrote:
    Is autotracker that big a deal? Seems like a waste of a skill for the small time saving it provides.

anti-poison ftw.
    Horses for courses, it's just my thing. Very handy if you favour capture rather than killing. Cha-Cha has the antidote dance, so poison has not been an issue for me.

• Alastair 29 Jan 2014 18:54:18 15,441 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    brokenkey wrote:
    Monsters usually spawn in the same few places so I feel I can cope without it, use a paintball then focus on getting the hits in!

• Red_Bool 29 Jan 2014 21:55:20 1,173 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Success! \o/ 2 tranq bombs after weakening it, then setting the trap and another 2 tranq bombs and I ve caught myself an Arzuros :D I also stocked up on some extra traps, but didn't even need them.

How does the armor forging work? Do you get more options depending on the stuff you've gathered? I only now started seeing bone armor stuff in the list.

I have a feeling this might become my new time sink...
  • Alastair 30 Jan 2014 07:25:40 15,441 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Red_Bool wrote:
    Success! \o/ 2 tranq bombs after weakening it, then setting the trap and another 2 tranq bombs and I ve caught myself an Arzuros :D I also stocked up on some extra traps, but didn't even need them.

How does the armor forging work? Do you get more options depending on the stuff you've gathered? I only now started seeing bone armor stuff in the list.

I have a feeling this might become my new time sink...
    Good work on the capture!

Yes, you have to have some of the parts in order for the armour to appear. There will usually be one part of the armour that requires a tricky item..!

Time sink? For deffo!

• hypoBla5t 30 Jan 2014 07:32:46 1,360 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    How essential is the circle pad for 3DS chaps?
  • Murbal 30 Jan 2014 07:51:09 21,922 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @hypoBla5t not always necessary - roaming around on land doesn't really require it... However. I would say is darn near essential for the underwater sections; it makes life so much easier.

Edited by Murbal at 07:53:06 30-01-2014
  • Page

of 43 First / Last