The *Official* Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate Thread (Wii-U and 3DS) Page 15

• Page

of 45 First / Last

• revengemadmax 21 Aug 2013 16:30:11 7 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    Spend money on it? I'd suggest that ;) Or you could trade some stuff in.

Though to be fair I was shopping for it this week and not a single shop had it in stock for 3DS. I like buying games from shops, but they don't half make it difficult. Bought it from Shopto in the end and got it today. Not far into it yet, but it's nice to be back into Monster Hunter again. I played the PSP one lots so it's great to be back hunting and gathering.

I plan to but im trying to decide if its worth it.

I have the latest psp version i have the wii version i have the wii u version. Should i even get the 3ds version?

Edited by revengemadmax at 16:30:28 21-08-2013
  • Ashleyfiddes 21 Aug 2013 16:39:10 980 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    If you have the wii u version if is the same as the 3ds one

A good feature I have read about is cross play so you can carry your wii u save over to your 3ds and vise versa
  • Red_Bool 21 Aug 2013 20:52:58 1,174 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Raiko101 & @DFawkes - Cheers guys! I'll just go along at my own pace then. Thought it was either me or due to playing this too late in the evening ;)
    Actually, I'm going to play it right now :)
  • DFawkes 21 Aug 2013 21:13:51 23,819 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have to admit I wasn't really feeling it, much like I didn't when I played Tri on Wii, until I made my first set of Dual Blades made from materials I scavenged with my own hands (never even got that far on Wii). Now I've got upgrades to aim for :)

Hope you enjoy your session Red_Bool, it might feel like it's all a bit much but the quests will give you something to focus on, as well as anything you might decide to try yourself.

Edited by DFawkes at 21:14:29 21-08-2013

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Alastair 22 Aug 2013 17:08:37 16,287 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Duramburos - oooofff!!!
    Never fainted on a quest and now just failed due to faints. I guess this is the point where shit gets real.
    Lagiacrus and Rathian were relatively simple in comparison. Perhaps because I have vague memories of their moves.

Am enjoying hunting horn and gunlance as weapons. Trying my best to mix up the weapons a bit.
  • DFawkes 27 Aug 2013 11:50:56 23,819 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've been playing this on and off for about a week now and I'm enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. I sunk hours into Monster Hunter Freedom on PSP but never really got that far in the quests as the next piece of equipment always felt a bit out of reach.

But the flow in this just feels so much better. I think it might be because there's more of a gentle curve with the quests. Freedom seemed to leap quite suddenly from basic hunting and gathering to taking down things like Yian Kut-Ku quite quickly. Heck, taking down a Velocidrome is a 1 Star! It just felt like a bit much too quickly to me.

By comparision, MH3 just feels a bit gentler. The 1 Star Quests are all a lot more forgiving with no "go kill this massive thing!" early on, and the 2 Star I'm on just now feel like a gentler progression. Mostly smaller hunts, with a nice progression up to slightly larger, then onto capturing. No idea how it goes after this of course, but it feels more natural this way.

it also seems to me like there is a lot more stuff to craft, and earlier on. Plus there's seems to be a lot more variety in the earlier herds of monsters, so you end up with a wider range of materials. Again, this all creates a nicer flow to me.

I can even see my buying the Wii U version too someday so I can play online. Not yet though, I'm still learning really, but it's a nicer experience than I found Freedom to be :)

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Alastair 27 Aug 2013 12:10:49 16,287 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've hit the learning curve a bit, but that's on 5* quests.
    Duramboros and Nibelsnarf have been a bit of a challenge, but both beaten after a couple of attempts.

I've just discovered Dual Blades. The Lagiacrus pair (Acrus Blades?) are awesome!
  • Ashleyfiddes 27 Aug 2013 12:18:21 980 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    i havent spent long on it but i would absolutely recommend the wii u version as well as 3ds it just looks alot nicer and it is easier to see what you are hunting (though stupid dialog boxes are really small)
  • DFawkes 27 Aug 2013 12:21:45 23,819 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm not jealous of those blades Alistair. No siree :) Think mine are earlier in the same path (Jaggid Shotels).

Dual Blades are awesome. I tend to dodge rather than block anyway, so a weapon that has no block isn't as big of a handicap. Need sharpened a bit more often, but nothing a stack of Whetstone can't fix.

I'll definitely get the Wii U version someday, but I've always preferred MH as a portable game. It'll still be nice to be able to go online and get back-up for some bigger creatures, and play it on the big screen.

Edited by DFawkes at 12:23:38 27-08-2013

• Alastair 27 Aug 2013 12:30:24 16,287 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I wish there was a way in game to see the weaknesses of monsters. E.G. the Duramboros is weak to fire. That should appear in your hunter notes. At least after you've either faced it once, or defeated it.
    It can make a big difference to your success imo.
    Also, a way to view weapon trees in game would also be useful.
  • Red_Bool 29 Aug 2013 18:04:02 1,174 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'd like to second what DFawkes said a couple of posts above. It eases you nicely into the flow of things. Never played MH before and am only in the one-star quests so far, but I'm really having fun. After the initial confusion you kind of have to settle down a bit and go with the flow. Everything becomes clear as you go along.
  • Alastair 29 Aug 2013 21:38:34 16,287 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Armour tip - make Jaggi armour, and upgrade it as much as possible.
    Then make some Steadfast and Standfast gems and attach them to the armour to gem out stun completely.
    That will keep you going to 5* quests. Only downside is for capture quests where you'll have to pay more attention to when the monster is limping so you know it's ready for capture.
    I am one hunt away from forging my final bit of Lagiacrus armour and am still using Jaggi.
    Also useful are Rhenoplos as it negates mud and snow, and Wroggi for negate poison.
  • Alastair 30 Aug 2013 07:50:19 16,287 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oh, and make Loc Lac armour for transport quests. You'll need poison smoke bombs so you can carve Bnahabra/Altaroth parts.
  • Red_Bool 30 Aug 2013 08:59:06 1,174 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Jaggi armour - check! I've got lots of Jaggi 'parts' already - will have to check tonight. Don't think I've seen any of the other monsters you mention though (1* remember? ;)). Also gems haven't been mentioned yet, but I'll try and remember (where's my notebook? :))

Question: Is there a way to have the switch-axe default to sword when you take it out?
  • brokenkey 30 Aug 2013 09:21:54 7,124 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Wroggi armour is SO useful. Being poisoned is so damaging and with some of the monster you get poisoned so frequently its just not true.

Oh, and do your best to streetpass another MH player. They can then do missions for you from the Tavern and get you lootz.

Edited by brokenkey at 09:22:46 30-08-2013

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• Alastair 30 Aug 2013 09:23:56 16,287 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bnahabra are the big mosquito-like things and Altaroth are the giant ants.
    The blacksmith makes gems under 'Decorations'. They fit into slots in your armour and some weapons and boost stats.

Rhenoplos are rhinoesque monsters that appear in Sandy Plains. Great Wroggi will appear in time, in Tundra I think.

Re. your SA question - dunno I'm not an expert, I just mash the buttons somewhat. Only recently learnt how to do the element discharge move... :)
  • Red_Bool 30 Aug 2013 13:07:12 1,174 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ok, I think I'll start remembering all those names as I go along :)

To get a streetpass I'd really have to do my best though, the 3DS almost never leaves the house...

And Wroggi armour is also added to my shopping list :)
  • Alastair 30 Aug 2013 13:31:34 16,287 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    To do the Streetpass thing I would need to know someone with a 3ds and who plays Monster Hunter...
  • brokenkey 30 Aug 2013 14:32:42 7,124 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    To do the Streetpass thing I would need to know someone with a 3ds and who plays Monster Hunter...
    Even if you could convince your local games store to set up a preowned copy for you to streetpass it's worth it, even a brand new character can go on missions and get you stuff.

Failing that, come to the EG Expo.

3DS 3497-0122-1484

• Alastair 30 Aug 2013 16:50:15 16,287 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm going to the Expo. Will there be a Streetpass corner for lonely hunters?
  • brokenkey 30 Aug 2013 17:02:18 7,124 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well, Last year Nintendo had a "streetpass lounge" area for that sort of thing. I'll certainly be there, and if you're travelling through london you'll probably pick up a few extra hits.

Just remember, you need to check the notificaitons app every 10 hits, otherwise it seems to stop adding more.

3DS 3497-0122-1484

• Alastair 30 Aug 2013 17:12:12 16,287 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    To be honest, I have no idea how streetpass works or what it actually does..!

Is it a one shot thing, or do I have to re-meet with the same person over time to get updates/new things?
  • DFawkes 30 Aug 2013 17:45:37 23,819 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Quick question about skills - I take it from the stuff on skill trees that the points don't have a direct effect until they total up to a certain level?

For example, there's a Decoration I was going to use that has Attack + 1. Would I be right in thinking that'll not actually give me an Attack boost until I equip enough seperate things for all the + 1s to hit a certain amount?

Edited by DFawkes at 17:45:53 30-08-2013

• Alastair 30 Aug 2013 17:51:55 16,287 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Alastair 30 Aug 2013 17:52:13 16,287 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yep, +10 is the magic figure. Then +15 gets even more. +20 is the max.
    So, Jaggi armour has Attack +10. You can fairly easily gem it to +15. +14 would make no difference.
  • DFawkes 30 Aug 2013 18:00:01 23,819 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Awesome, will keep that in mind. Cheers Alastair :)

• Deleted user 30 August 2013 18:28:05
    Red_Bool wrote:
    Question: Is there a way to have the switch-axe default to sword when you take it out?
    Press R, X and A at the same time. If your gauge is too low you'll draw into a reload instead.
  • Alastair 30 Aug 2013 18:55:14 16,287 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hello Cid, you MH legend!
  • Red_Bool 30 Aug 2013 20:22:38 1,174 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cid wrote:
    Red_Bool wrote:
    Press R, X and A at the same time. If your gauge is too low you'll draw into a reload instead.
    Thanks! I think I need a bigger 3DS to do that comfortably though ;)
  • Page

of 45 First / Last