The *Official* Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate Thread (Wii-U and 3DS) Page 14

• Page

of 45 First / Last

• Alastair 18 Jul 2013 08:23:42 16,233 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hunted 4 Great Jaggis last night. Three in quest and one while foraging in Moga Woods.
    It wasn't as big as I remember, and it didn't put up much resistance to my long sword - quite liking it as a weapon. I need to be more accurate with the overhead strike, but the sideways whirl (X+A) works pretty well.
    Only managed to get one King's Frill yet I'm sure I broke the frill each time.

Aiming to forge Hunter armour for the ability to see monsters on the map, and the Bone armour for the insight into when they are trappable. memories are now coming flooding back of noting down the required parts and going hunting for them...

I love this game!
    :)
  • JiveHound 18 Jul 2013 09:14:34 2,638 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Alastair wrote:

you can only break the head with impact weapons, not blades.
    Not strictly true that. I've broken a few heads with my long sword. Not many mind, but it's definitely possible.

I really need to get back into this. My fiancÚ has been away a lot and she's my wingman normally. With Jambii hopefully getting it I'll have someone to play more regularly with.

Can be a bit grindy by yourself.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• Alastair 18 Jul 2013 09:15:54 16,233 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Cid wrote:
    brokenkey wrote:
    If you use the gunlace, do you end up using a standard ammo, or is it somehow reloading something you are carrying. If the latter, how do you choose which ammo to use when you've got two types?
    It's unlimited ammo. You don't need to carry anything.
    Really?
    So all the ammo in the game is just for bows and bowguns?

Can you get better ammo for the gunlance, or does it just get more powerful as you upgrade the gunlance itself? (I think I just answered my own question)
  • Alastair 18 Jul 2013 09:24:43 16,233 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    JiveHound wrote:
    Alastair wrote:

Not strictly true that. I've broken a few heads with my long sword. Not many mind, but it's definitely possible.

On a Barroth?
  • Deleted user 18 July 2013 12:03:08
    Alastair wrote:
    Really?
    So all the ammo in the game is just for bows and bowguns?

Can you get better ammo for the gunlance, or does it just get more powerful as you upgrade the gunlance itself? (I think I just answered my own question)
    They'll get stronger as you upgrade the gunlance. You can see your current Shot Level (1-5) on the weapon status page, along with its type (Normal, Long, Wide).

But yeah, all ammo is for bowguns only.
  • Alastair 18 Jul 2013 12:15:43 16,233 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Cid wrote:

But yeah, all ammo is for bowguns only.
    Embarrassed - I won't buy any more of it! :)
    I did wonder why my pouch still showed 10 ammo despite several reloads...
    Why does the gunlance start the adventure/free gathering session with no ammo loaded? Seems odd, and it's what made me think I needed to buy ammo. Never thought to simply try re-loading.

I deffo fancy having a proper go with the gunlance and the hunting horn.
  • Alastair 19 Jul 2013 09:59:19 16,233 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So I took on the G Jaggi with the gunlance last night.
    Seems that a pretty simple strategy is to block and wait. Just after he attacks you can get in a stab with X then be blocking again before he reacts. Or there's time then stab stab shoot also seems to be a good combo.
    Also the fire attack from R looks like it would be pretty effective against fire weak monsters.
  • JiveHound 20 Jul 2013 17:11:33 2,638 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    JiveHound wrote:
    Alastair wrote:

On a Barroth?
    Yup, pretty sure I've smashed a Barroth's skull in with a long sword.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• Deleted user 20 July 2013 18:34:12
    I always thought you could only break barroth's head with impact weapons, but apparently not. It's just much easier that way.

Edited by Cid at 18:38:21 20-07-2013
  • Alastair 22 Jul 2013 08:31:33 16,233 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Progressing nicely.
    Flooded Forest unlocked. Great Wroggi beaten. Gunlance and Switch Axe are current weapons of choice, with Greatsword in 3rd place. I'm glad I decided to go with new/different weapons, it makes it feel like a 'new' game rather than just replaying Tri.
    Bone, Hunter and Jaggi armour all crafted. Need to craft the Loc Lac armour next. And upgrade the Hunter and Bone sets.
  • Raiko101 22 Jul 2013 10:27:26 6,562 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I do find the weapons really do change up how the game feels. If Monster Hunter 4 does hit these shores, i'll definitely be playing it with different weapons. Just to further change it up.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87 (Dave)
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Alastair 23 Jul 2013 08:09:05 16,233 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Did a bit of grinding in order to forge the Loc Lac armour last night, which entailed foraging for the parts to make poison smoke bombs in order to get Altaroth jaws.
    Next monster in m sights in the Querepeco (sp?). I always remember feeling that they were a bit tricky in Tri... Still, the G Jaggi is already at the point where it just feels like an annoyance rather than a challenge, so maybe the 'Peco won't be so bad. (Until he calls in a Rathian!!)
  • Alastair 25 Jul 2013 09:00:13 16,233 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    Next monster in m sights in the Querepeco (sp?). I always remember feeling that they were a bit tricky in Tri... Still, the G Jaggi is already at the point where it just feels like an annoyance rather than a challenge, so maybe the 'Peco won't be so bad. (Until he calls in a Rathian!!)
    'Peco is still tricky!
    Did a hunt and a capture. Both took about 30 mins, compared to 5-10 mins for G Jaggi and G Wroggi. I think that's down to taking time out to kill off the summoned G Jaggi and in that time he's probably doing his health revival call. Plus I didn't manage to interrupt all the calls, so he recovers better than other monsters.

I'm finding that the switch axe feels like it's doing the most damage. But I'm still determined to use the gunlance and longsword as well. Need to go back to hunting horn as well...
  • Raiko101 25 Jul 2013 09:13:13 6,562 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    How do you interrupt those calls. It seems that, very rarely, you can slash his throat and he'll quieten down, but most times this approach is ineffective. I've also heard that you can drown out his calls with particular bombs (I've forgotten the name), but i've not pulled that off at all.

• Alastair 25 Jul 2013 09:27:48 16,233 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You can throw a sonic bomb, or as you say slash his throat. When the throat slash works then the buff is transferred to you, so it's worth trying. I managed it with the SA more than with the longsword...!
    I was also finding that attacks were often bouncing off his wings. Also, I know that the tail is quite a low damage area, but it's the easiest part to hit. This may also contribute to the longer battle.
  • Raiko101 25 Jul 2013 11:19:34 6,562 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I almost always went for the head/body. I'm quite good at reading it's attacks and if I ever hit the wings, it's accidental. They are annoying to fight though. Not so much when they're calling Jaggi over, but when it's something larger, it really draws out the battle. Dung Bombs are helpful here, but you're still left with the sense you're not making much progress.

• ProfessorLesser 25 Jul 2013 11:25:02 19,399 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Are you guys playing on WiiU, or 3DS? I really want to get my MH on, but the 3DS version without online play seems completely stunted :(
  • Alastair 25 Jul 2013 11:28:39 16,233 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm playing on 3DS.
    Was really torn between getting 3DS or WiiU. In the end I went for 3DS as I also wanted to play Fire Emblem and it was cheaper, whereas the WiiU was really only for MH.

The lack of online does detract slightly, but it is still very good and the single player goes on well beyond the Ceadus, unline in Tri where that was pretty much it. Seems that you can do Jhen Moran missions solo (with the two Shakalakas).
  • Raiko101 25 Jul 2013 11:37:42 6,562 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If you ever decide get a Wii U, you can take the 3DS version online via that, which is a nice bonus.

Personally, I went with the Wii U version as it offered the second analog stick, which helps with the underwater gameplay. If it weren't for that, i'd have probably gone with the 3DS version as the 3D visuals look great and the game feels like it's better suited to portable play. Also, the camera is perfectly fine out of water.

• Alastair 25 Jul 2013 11:41:15 16,233 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I have the Circle Pad Pro. :)

I have my fingers crossed that MH4 with be online on 3DS...
  • Raiko101 25 Jul 2013 11:44:21 6,562 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It will be in Japan at least! I'll happily pick it up on 3DS, either way.

• Alastair 25 Jul 2013 11:46:02 16,233 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I still can't work out why I didn't like MHFU. I can only think that it's the PSP that I don't actually like. The thumbstick is in a terrible place...
  • Alastair 31 Jul 2013 08:50:24 16,233 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Can someone remind me where to get frogs? Is there a guaranteed gathering spot in the Flooded Forest? Memory tells me there's a spot in Deserted Isle/Moga Forest in area 10...

Also, I'm struggling to find Carpenterbugs, which I seem to need for each weapon upgrade I'm interested in, and all the armour forging! Don't think I can farm them at the moment. Can the upgraded bug boxes farm them?
  • brokenkey 31 Jul 2013 09:18:41 7,111 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    carpenter bugs are in the felvine cave in moga woods. frogs you get from the same places as worms

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• revengemadmax 20 Aug 2013 22:40:35 7 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    you guys have no idea what I would do for a copy of this game!!!!!
  • DFawkes 21 Aug 2013 00:03:57 23,711 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Spend money on it? I'd suggest that ;) Or you could trade some stuff in.

Though to be fair I was shopping for it this week and not a single shop had it in stock for 3DS. I like buying games from shops, but they don't half make it difficult. Bought it from Shopto in the end and got it today. Not far into it yet, but it's nice to be back into Monster Hunter again. I played the PSP one lots so it's great to be back hunting and gathering.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Red_Bool 21 Aug 2013 15:24:51 1,174 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So I have started this and am still in the tutorial phase (next up is underwater hunting). There's just too much information to get through! Yesterday I found out how to change to the switch-axe and try that out for a bit.

Is it normal to be overwhelmed with info early on? For instance it gave me an ore fetch-quest, but then I didn't really understand what I could do with the ore I found (except for changing it into resource points).

I do love the vibe of the game though - I can see this becoming a huge time-sink if I'm not careful :)
  • DFawkes 21 Aug 2013 15:28:14 23,711 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It is rather overwhelming at first. I think I'm at the same point as you so far, but the best thing is you can just mess about in Moga Woods experimenting. Combining the stuff you gather can be worth trying out too, but you can take it all at your own pace.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Ashleyfiddes 21 Aug 2013 15:29:23 980 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Have played 3ds version and thanks to joeymoto I will have the wii u version tonight :) looking forward to facing the great jaggi in HD (won't be able to play much this week cos of an inner ear problem)
  • Raiko101 21 Aug 2013 15:38:01 6,562 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Red_Bool Try not to worry about it. It is overwhelming, but this information is constantly given out to you. Just play the game at your own pace. You can always redo quests and the villagers are full of information. That and Moga Woods is always open when you want to learn more about how the game functions, where to find items, etc...

• Page

of 45 First / Last