• Alastair 11 Jun 2013 22:41:12 15,707 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Either I think.

Not as nice as I used to be

• Wolves1877 13 Jun 2013 12:31:42 404 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I am struggling with this game guys, Any pointers to a getting starting website or anything?

• brokenkey 13 Jun 2013 12:43:01 7,028 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    Either I think.
    So what's the actual mechanic to gifting then? I've stood in front of the other person, what next?

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• brokenkey 13 Jun 2013 12:43:28 7,028 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Wolves1877 wrote:
    I am struggling with this game guys, Any pointers to a getting starting website or anything?
    Read the very first posting on this thread for various tips.

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• Alastair 13 Jun 2013 13:26:34 15,707 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    brokenkey wrote:
    Alastair wrote:
    Either I think.
    So what's the actual mechanic to gifting then? I've stood in front of the other person, what next?
    Erm. I really can't remember. Haven't played since MHTri.
    It's something along the lines of going into your inventory, highlighting the object and choosing 'Gift'. Your avatar then stands there and a bell sounds.
    The recipient approaches you and should get a prompt to press A (or similar) to accept.

• Alastair 13 Jun 2013 13:27:47 15,707 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Wolves1877
    http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Portal:MH3U

• Raiko101 13 Jun 2013 20:00:10 6,296 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Wolves1877 Take time to master the controls and the weapon you use. This game will really punish any kind of hack and slash. Get used to dodging monsters. You'll be doing that at least as much as you will attack. Also, study the behaviour of the monsters you hunt. You'll be able to predict attacks seconds before they're executed and you'll know when to attack (when they're tired) and when to focus on dodging (when they're in a rage).

Also, take some time to get to know the town. Make sure you eat before every hunt and learn how to make items you find useful, so you can farm them.

There is a lot to learn in this game, but you don't have to learn it all in one go. Just make sure you don't completely ignore particular elements of the game.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Red_Bool 13 Jun 2013 22:23:11 1,173 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I have caved in and ordered this on 3DS just now. After playing the demo a couple of times more something in this has peaked my curiosity. The last game that did that was Dark Souls and I ended up playing that almost exclusively the better part of last year (over 130 hours and still going!).

Plus it means I've got my 3 games, so I'm getting Animal Crossing for free :D

Now I only need to find time (still playing Fire Emblem as well...)
  • Alastair 14 Jun 2013 08:02:17 15,707 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The demo of this kind of proves to me that Nintendo should've got their fingers out of their arses years ago and made demos available.
    It sucked me in and reminded me that I love hunting giant snow rabbits and carving bits of odd herbivores. Without the demo it would have been too easy to pass this by...

• JiveHound 14 Jun 2013 09:01:56 2,434 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    The demo actually really got its hooks in me after initially being underwhlmed. I must have played it ten times before the game came out.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• Red_Bool 14 Jun 2013 10:02:35 1,173 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    JiveHound wrote:
    The demo actually really got its hooks in me after initially being underwhelmed
    Same here. Initially I thought it was an uncontrollable mess, but the enthusiasm here together with some Youtube research got me playing it again. Can't wait to start this proper :)

Hopefully my wife will be at home when the parcel is delivered (Somehow they managed to package it as a parcel instead of a bubbly envelope...really odd)

Update: Package is delivered according to the track&trace :D

/is still at work :(

Edited by Red_Bool at 13:15:50 14-06-2013
  • binky Moderator 18 Jun 2013 01:11:38 9,623 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm still having trouble connecting with this game. I want to like it but 3-4 hours in I feel like I'm battling almost every part of it.

Playing on Wii U and have a freebie copy on 3DS but maybe I'll swap the Wii version in and keep plugging away on the handheld exclusively, though how much time I give to it I'm not sure. Shame, I love the scale of it but it just feels so... I don't know! Archaic?
  • Alastair 18 Jun 2013 08:07:27 15,707 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @binky Have you managed to meet other EGers for an online hunt? I really enjoying hunting with the guys. Makes it a hell of a lot easier to take on the bigger tougher monsters. You can get the parts for better armour and weapons. Then when you go back to single player you are better equipped to fight them solo.
    On the flip side - I guess the game isn't for everyone. And even within the genre you can like and dislike a game - I love MHTri but couldn't get on with MHFU on PSP...

Anyway, it looks like the 3DS copy I thought might be coming for Father's day is being saved for my birthday in July... On the bright side it means I can play more Fire Emblem.

• binky Moderator 18 Jun 2013 08:17:11 9,623 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Alastair I've not had the chance yet, nor have I really indulged in crafting of any sorts, just exploring the maps (the desert map opened for a quest yesterday) but it all feels a bit... shonky. The ranged weapons appear (at first glance) to be utterly awful. The aiming of them is very clunky and the way you swing any weapon other than the dual blades feels very unsatisfying imo.

I don't want to give up on it just yet, it just feels like one of those games that if you want to get the best out of it you have to play this and nothing else. Ever. Again.
  • Red_Bool 18 Jun 2013 08:31:36 1,173 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Alastair - I have a MH3U gift code if you're interested :)
  • Alastair 18 Jun 2013 08:32:57 15,707 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well, I think the missus has bought the game so it would be bad form to download it in advance.
    If you still have it by 11 July then I can confirm one way or another...

• Alastair 18 Jun 2013 08:34:16 15,707 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @binky I never used the ranged weapons, and didn't see many other people doing so.
    I went with sword and shield, then hammer and then mainly played with the lance.

• midi82 18 Jun 2013 08:34:23 673 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @binky You need to take time to learn the weapons. Something like the great sword is slow but does massive damage, you need to figure out the timing before it comes into it's own.
    Something like the switch axe is fun as that completely changes depending what mode you are in (axe or sword) so you get good damage, but it is still pretty quick.

It does seem to get to a point where a certain monster is just too hard with the gear you have got, the best thing then is to go back and hunt some easier monsters. As you learn the moves this gets much easier. You need to upgrade your weapons and armour or you will start to struggle fairly early on.
  • Red_Bool 18 Jun 2013 08:46:03 1,173 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    Well, I think the missus has bought the game so it would be bad form to download it in advance.
    If you still have it by 11 July then I can confirm one way or another...
    No problem :)
  • binky Moderator 18 Jun 2013 09:04:15 9,623 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @midi82 I've not got to the point where it's hard (I've only done a few hours worth of missions, it just feels a little monotonous thus far with only one stand out moment in 4 hours (the early monster guts mission). Will give it a few more hours but it's possible that it's just not for me. :(
  • Alastair 18 Jun 2013 09:16:30 15,707 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Have you done the egg carrying one? That's a little different.

• Raiko101 18 Jun 2013 09:20:36 6,296 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @binky Clunky is definitely the right word for it, but it's worth sticking with it. At least a little longer. This game does an awful job of easing you in, but it does get better as you invest more and more time.

I find the larger swords most satisfying to use as you have to find that balance between offence and defence. There's almost an art to finding the right opportunity to unleash a massive combo or charged attack. It's all about reading the monsters behaviour, which becomes more important as they get bigger. You might not think you're doing much damage and that you're not attacking as much as you think you should be, but you'll soon know when a monster is knocking on death's door.

I remember thinking the controls for every weapon I tried felt archaic too, but now i'm thinking it's intentional. It'll take a few hours to properly get the hang of each weapon and could take 3 or 4 times as long to realise how you should be using it, but I find the most satisfying weapons are the ones that involve timing your strikes.

For what it's worth, i'd find a weapon you enjoy using and stick with that until you've defeated some of the larger monsters. Get some multiplayer done on the Wii U too, if you can, as it'll drop hints as to how you'll be approaching the game later on.

If you're still not enjoying the game after 10+ hours, then perhaps it's not for you.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Alastair 18 Jun 2013 09:24:29 15,707 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    There is a monotonous element to it - you need to hunt certain monsters repeatedly in order to gain the materials you need. If you enjoy the combat then this isn't such a chore, but if you're struggling with it then it will certainly seem like a grind.
    It can still be a chore even if you do enjoy the combat if you're *still* waiting for Rathian Plate after the 20th hunt!!!

• binky Moderator 18 Jun 2013 09:27:24 9,623 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Thanks for the post Raiko. I'll certainly not just give up on it now as there is an element of me wanting to enjoy it, though my erratic gaming hours mean committing to online play just isn't something I can likely do. I'm more of a "drop in, drop out" kinda gamer these days due to family.

Hopefully I'll be back at the end of the week telling you all how it just "clicked" ;)
  • Wolves1877 18 Jun 2013 09:39:34 404 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I don't think the game really opens until you are 10 hours plus into it.

Edited by Wolves1877 at 09:39:51 18-06-2013

• binky Moderator 19 Jun 2013 09:55:25 9,623 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Tried a few more quests last night. Hunting a Great Jaggi.
    Back to the dual blades as they suit me best, and yet still it wasn't clicking. I'm not sure how much more patience I'll have with this one in all honesty. Kinda disappointed in myself!
  • JiveHound 19 Jun 2013 10:07:16 2,434 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    It's not for everyone. I can only play it when I'm in the mood and I'm not in a rush for gratification.

I did a mission to capture a Lagiarus and it had me raging with all the stuns it was inflicting on me. I managed to capture it though and the sweet relief was palpable.

As you've only just embarked on big monster hunts now you haven't really seen the game at its best. It's all about overcoming seemingly insurmountable odds. Getting to that last health potion and bringing that beast down when you are so close to failing. No other game really comes close.

Well maybe Dark Souls.

Edited by JiveHound at 10:08:12 19-06-2013

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• midi82 19 Jun 2013 10:12:24 673 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think it is just the feeling you get when you finally master whatever monster it is, especially after a few attempts - it just feels like a real achievement, you have to learn to defeat the monsters, if you just randomly run about and attack you will get found out, you need to know when to dodge and when to attack. The more you play the more you will learn to read the monsters.
  • Alastair 19 Jun 2013 10:20:42 15,707 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    What used to amaze me was when, later on in the game, a Great Jaggi or a Royal Ludroth would appear and I could despatch it with what felt like a couple of hits!
    /badass Nailen!!

• binky Moderator 19 Jun 2013 10:34:00 9,623 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    hhmmm....

But.. but... it's so frustrating!

I do get what you're saying about the satisfaction of taking down the big monsters, it's the reason I was interested initially from playing the demo. Seeing as I picked up the MHU 3DSXL bundle for the cheap system I have it there to chip away at anyway - I think maybe I'll concentrate on that and get some pennies back on the Wii U version in the mean time.

/Sensible hat on.
  • Page

of 45 First / Last