The *Official* Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate Thread (Wii-U and 3DS) Page 5

• Page

of 45 First / Last

• Deleted user 1 April 2013 19:49:31
    I believe the save transfer moves the entire profile (all three character slots), so you'd need to shift yours to another 3DS before she could move hers to the Wii U.

Stand near the person and press A to accept a gift.
  • Deleted user 1 April 2013 20:14:49
    Out of curiosity, can someone explain the point of the port in SP to me?
  • redcrayon 1 Apr 2013 20:24:36 4,573 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    At the port you have access to all the multiplayer quests, special quests and arena battles, it's a huge amount of content, including monsters, items and rewards you won't find in the SP campaign. You and your NPC companions can take them on, some are really worth it.
    You can find goods available at the two traders there that you won't find at Moga village.

It's worth going to check it out as soon as possible, and checking in regularly with the traders every few quests or so as their goods change.

Once you have got your head around the single player campaign, particularly once you have an NPC companion, it's worth trying the quests there, as really the SP campaign is just teaching you how to deal with the content you'll find at the port- the quests there assume you know how to hunt, whereas the quests at Moga village gradually teach you everything with hints at the start.
  • Matt36 1 Apr 2013 20:28:21 1,477 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Quick Q - Is it essential to have the WiiU version when buying the 3DS version? Does it add or take away from the game?

I only want the 3DS version, but don't want to miss out?
  • Deleted user 1 April 2013 20:30:23
    @redcrayon Cheers dude, appreciate it! Completed the one and two stars in mega Village and progressing through the three stars. It just confused me slightly but I take your excellent advice on board.

Sadly being on 3ds, I'm really going to struggle to get an MP group going.
  • Raiko101 1 Apr 2013 20:51:40 6,694 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Matt36 Except for the fact that the Wii U version offers online multiplayer, they're exactly the same game. You only need one copy.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87 (Dave)
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• JoeGBallad 2 Apr 2013 10:46:27 388 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Hi folks, sorry about this, but I was wondering if anybody fancied watching my review of the 3DS version? It's from the perspective of a Monster Hunter virgin. Yous will be pleased to know that I really loved the game :D

If anybody in Glasgow has the 3DS version and knows of anywhere that folk meet up for hunts, that'd be great. It's a bit lonely sometimes on Moga island!

If you aren't utterly disgusted by me please check out my videogames show at:

www.youtube.com/BitSocket

• JinTypeNoir 2 Apr 2013 11:10:15 4,392 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's a nice review; I enjoy your accents. The humor is a bit over my head, I suppose, because it seems like I'm missing some essential link.

But something really, really bothers me.

Why do you have katakana below the English name and if you were going to have it, why didn't you check so that you could spell it correctly? Is there some sort of weird relation to the Japanese BitSocket?
  • JoeGBallad 2 Apr 2013 13:48:36 388 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I don't think there is a Japanese bit socket, bit to be honest, with the kana thing, I just wanted to show how 'into' Japanese games we are. The spelling probably is off, but I'm sure it says Bi To So Ke To which is... Close haha

• JinTypeNoir 2 Apr 2013 14:43:49 4,392 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ah, gotcha. I just saw it and was like, "Huuuuh?" Honestly, to my ears it sounds like some weird made-up Indian tribe from a 70s anime. :p

There actually is a Japanese Bit Socket, but they aren't a videogame YouTube channel. They're a really obscure indie band that produces jazz covers of various non-jazz hits.

As for the spelling, you're close, it just sounds really strange. You have to add this character: ッ between the bi and to and the ke and to. Not that Japanese people will see it beside me.
  • DFawkes 2 Apr 2013 14:51:08 24,042 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Should definitely add that character anyway as it looks like a smiley face. Plus google translate adds it and google is LAW :p

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• uiruki 2 Apr 2013 14:51:21 3,756 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Heh, reminds me of this one issue of Famitsu I saw where they ribbed BigBig for writing ビグビグ on their logo. They changed it in the end.

Edit: Back on topic, I've been playing a fair bit of the Wii U version and thoroughly enjoying it, which I haven't done with Monster Hunter before. I think the difference was in the demo I tried lots of different weapons and really got the satisfaction of landing a good hit. Dazing stuff by clobbering them in the head with a huge hammer is really, really rewarding.

Edited by uiruki at 15:13:43 02-04-2013
  • JinTypeNoir 2 Apr 2013 15:24:38 4,392 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You can just imagine how the idea for Monster Hunter came about at Capcom.

Everyone's just goofing around at the meeting table, trying to figure out what to make next. Someone casually muses, "We just appeal to that ancient part of lizard brains that survived by clobbering animals on the head really hard; we could probably make a gazillion dollars on that."

Whoever that guy was, he was most likely poisoned later that night while the producer of Monster Hunter as we know it stole the idea.
  • uiruki 2 Apr 2013 15:36:58 3,756 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Soul Sacrifice does the same thing, except with punching enemies in the face with big flaming fists or rolling into them at a hundred miles an hour as a huge boulder. It wouldn't work at all without the commitment, wind-up and cool down and I think that's what is missing from what I've played of Toukiden. That and some surprisingly muted reactions from Omega Force.
  • JoeGBallad 2 Apr 2013 16:52:54 388 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    JinTypeNoir wrote:

There actually is a Japanese Bit Socket, but they aren't a videogame YouTube channel. They're a really obscure indie band that produces jazz covers of various non-jazz hits.

That is INCREDIBLY cool. I'll need to look them up!

JinTypeNoir wrote:

As for the spelling, you're close, it just sounds really strange. You have to add this character: ッ between the bi and to and the ke and to. Not that Japanese people will see it beside me.

Ah! Thanks. I'll sort out the logo at some point in the future. Yes, I'm a bit of an ignorant Japanophile :( I hope you like our videos though. Be sure to check out some of our others, especially this one I made when I was in Tokyo!

• Daeltaja 3 Apr 2013 00:15:59 1,183 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Hi dudes, I've been away so a little late to the party. Add me for some coop funs!

ID is Daeltaja.
  • Matt36 3 Apr 2013 03:41:30 1,477 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    So can i play against/co-op with a friend with our 3DS's?
  • JiveHound 3 Apr 2013 05:23:48 2,712 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    You can play multiplayer by linking up 3ds' yes.

I don't get why they omitted online from the 3ds version. Maybe due to the culture in Japan whereby everyone meets up, and they didn't want to affect that.

I'm disappointed that the way things are I can't take my game file with me from my wii u to 3ds if I want to play co op with my girlfriend.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• Agent_Llama 3 Apr 2013 09:36:01 3,379 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JiveHound wrote:

I don't get why they omitted online from the 3ds version. Maybe due to the culture in Japan whereby everyone meets up, and they didn't want to affect that.

I'm disappointed that the way things are I can't take my game file with me from my wii u to 3ds if I want to play co op with my girlfriend.
    There is a download from the 3DS store that lets you transfer data to and from the Wii U to the 3DS version. It's pretty quick and painless.

3DS: Mooky - 2019-9643-8311
    NNid: Agent_Llama
    Vita/PS3/360: Faloola
    FFXIV ARR: Alekzander Lockhart, Odin

• shamblemonkee 3 Apr 2013 09:57:24 14,652 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Had my first mp experience of this last night, friend came over with his 3ds, hooked up to my wii u and off we went fighting barroths, ludroths and that bird thing with 6hr old characters

Now I get it :) such a good time
  • JinTypeNoir 3 Apr 2013 14:13:09 4,392 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    JiveHound wrote:
    Are you saying they omitted the online from the Wii version porting to the 3DS? No portable version until this summer's Monster Hunter 4 has online options for multiplayer in it--at least until a month ago when Capcom released a tool to let you play online if you have a Wii U, but that's more of an afterthought than true support--and that's been the case all the way back to the original Monster Hunter Portable. I kind of think it might be a mistake to put online into Monster Hunter 4. Capcom should probably just build the hooks so that when they localize it they can add online multiplayer, but keep it out of the Japanese version, kind of like how certain PS360 games are PS3 only in Japan or Dragon Quest VIII only had voice-acting and a symphonic soundtrack in the international version because Square Enix knew Japanese gamers wouldn't tolerate sacrificing the quick pace of the game for it.

Monster Hunter got famous in Japan for the dynamics of playing with another person beside you. The online-enabled console versions were always less popular. It makes me wonder if new Japanese players who come into Monster Hunter 4 and try the online only won't find it as compelling because the feel of your friends being right next to you might get lost. But who knows, when Nintendo put in the casual mode that literally takes out the most unique element of Fire Emblem, it helped it sell much better than past entries and a lot of people seemed to like it, so maybe it'll all be hunky dory.

Edited by JinTypeNoir at 14:15:49 03-04-2013
  • JiveHound 3 Apr 2013 19:00:58 2,712 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Agent_Llama wrote:
    JiveHound wrote:

There is a download from the 3DS store that lets you transfer data to and from the Wii U to the 3DS version. It's pretty quick and painless.
    I do have that but it seems that to transfer my save to the 3ds it wipes my girlfriend's file into the bargain. It's all three slots or nothing.

Which kind of sucks to be honest. You basically have the mutually excluisive choice of using the 3ds for multiplayer or as a portable Wii U file.

Patch please.

Unless I'm missing something obvious of course.

• JiveHound 3 Apr 2013 19:09:07 2,712 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @JinTypeNoir

I get that trying to keep the experience intact is preferable, but choosing that before selling the product to an audience with expectations makes poor business sense. It's fine to be niche but Capcom have been quoted as wanting to make a western breakthrough.

The fact is that in Britain at least people over a certain age don't meet up to play games. Outside is constantly wet and grey and most people prefer solo online play.

The fact that Capcom said that then went Nintendo exclusive kind of weakens my argument but maybe when the project was started they had hoped that the Wii U would take off more -shall we say- positively.

• JiveHound 3 Apr 2013 19:11:30 2,712 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Awesome game mind. It's the advancement of Phantasy Star Online that I didn't even know I wanted.

I'll be watching Monster Hunter 4 more closely. What are the mooted platforms for that?

• Raiko101 4 Apr 2013 05:05:22 6,694 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    3DS exclusive, at the minute.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87 (Dave)
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• aeschylus 5 Apr 2013 12:26:09 446 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Still enjoying it, though I am at the part when it does dawn on you that you now have to dtart to grind..

just got to 4 star in HR and you get exposed very quickly if your gear is no up to scratch

Brachydios seems to be the point, had several parties now where a wipe is not uncommon...

Just had some guy called he-man come into one such hunt with no potions or cool drink, die twice within 3 mins!
  • Agent_Llama 5 Apr 2013 13:22:52 3,379 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JiveHound wrote:
    Agent_Llama wrote:
    JiveHound wrote:

I do have that but it seems that to transfer my save to the 3ds it wipes my girlfriend's file into the bargain. It's all three slots or nothing.

Which kind of sucks to be honest. You basically have the mutually excluisive choice of using the 3ds for multiplayer or as a portable Wii U file.

Patch please.

Unless I'm missing something obvious of course.
    That's a stupid feature. I don't think there's a way of choosing a specific slot, it doesn't ask you to choose. Guess it's to force you into buying another copy.

3DS: Mooky - 2019-9643-8311
    NNid: Agent_Llama
    Vita/PS3/360: Faloola
    FFXIV ARR: Alekzander Lockhart, Odin

• JiveHound 8 Apr 2013 22:07:19 2,712 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I took on the Great Jaggi quest and kicked its arse as I had previous big monster experience through getting owned by various beasties in link up.

I have some questions though. I'm using the long sword and my weapon started glowing after I managed a full special move combo (right bumper). My weapon bar also started glowing. Did I buff my sword through awesomeness?

• Progguitarist 9 Apr 2013 00:20:43 10,532 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If I hated the demo and didn't get alone with the PSP version, what's the chances I'll enjoy this on Wii U?
  • shamblemonkee 9 Apr 2013 08:23:12 14,652 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @JiveHound yeah if yo can max out the spirit bar (under the knife for sharpness you will buff the damage for a while.

if you then complete a R trigger combo using the entire bar you'll buff to yellow. you can then do that to red.
  • Page

of 45 First / Last