The *Official* Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate Thread (Wii-U and 3DS)

• Page

of 17 First / Last

Previous
  • brokenkey 25 Feb 2013 15:58:08 6,801 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    TOP TIPS:
    General tips for newbies- when foraging in Moga Woods, leave virtually everything at home bar a few bug nets, pick axes, a BBQ spike, maybe a trident. Leave room for collecting lots of stuff.

Mix up your ingredients as you go to save space.

The most important early cocktail you can make is the mega-potion- mix a herb with a blue mushroom for a potion, then honey (forage under any beehive- there in one directly opposite the entrance to the first area, behind that herbivore herd) with a potion for a mega potion.

In one trip, you can easily make ten mega-potions, plus ten potions, plus come back with ten herbs, blue mushrooms and honey for your box in your house.

Get used to dumping stuff you don't need- if you aren't a gunner, insect husks can be dumped etc.

Another early combo- make a net from spiders web (from the beehive) and ivy (the blue plant growing in that first main area). Buy a trap tool from the trader, and combine it with the net to make a pitfall trap. This will give you valuable time to pile on the damage against big monsters. Always take one when heading out to fight a big beastie.

YOu can only carry one pitfall trap at a time. But nothing is stopping you carrying more trap tools and nets to make more traps on the fly There are also shock traps (thunder bug+ trap tool), barrel bombs and paintballs (for telling you where a monster is if you don't have the 'psychic' skill, i.e. on hunter armour), farcasters (for teleporting to the camp), all common hunter tools, but we can chat about those later on, take it easy to start with and master the tools you have, you'll be a pro in no time

Always prepare your kit for the quest- get used to spending a few seconds doing it every time.
    Going out to forage for mushrooms? Dump everything you don't need.
    Going out to fight? You'll need whetstones, potions and steak. A pro hunter can beat anything with the map, mini-whetstone, ration and Medkit in the quest supplies box, but rookies should go prepared!

When you return to the village from foraging, start building your stocks. Put those well-done steaks and mega-potions in your box, and leave them there. Stockpile for later, get in the habit of preparing more every time you go out on a simple quest. If you are carrying 10 well-done steaks, you are good for one quest but aren't thinking like a campaigning hunter. Stash those steaks. Make more. Soooo tasty!

Put everything from your pouch in the box in the house (don't get confused and put in the gunners pouch by mistake if you are a blade user), that will let you see what your options are for combining stuff.

Learn to use the farm, it'll make things much easier, and also don't be afraid to explore the city, even if you don't want to tackle its quests yet, you can make good use of the shops- you can buy stuff there that you would have to prepare yourself at home if you can spare the cash and are short on time.

One more tip- your box will end up full of all kinds of stuff, that all goes on page 1 (and then 2 etc) when you put it there.. Dedicate one page (I always choose page 6, accessible with one tap of 'l') as your 'go page', and store all of your most-used items there, for ease of finding when you need them. All of my potions, steaks, antidotes, traps, bombs, pickaxes, bug nets, farcasters, dung bombs (for fighting off wyverns that maul you) and paintballs (plus any spare materials for making them) live there, as they are easy to find and allow me to see exactly what I have and what I need to prepare more of at a glance.

I like it when an urgent quest comes up and I can calmly stroll to my house, look at my supplies, and prepare for the hunt accordingly without worrying about what I am short of.

Antidote = Antidote Herb + Blue Mushroom
    (for curing poison)

Barrel Bomb L = Large Barrel + Gunpowder
    (for putting next to sleeping monsters- set ot off with a paintball or small stone!)

Bomb Casing = Iron Ore + Sap Plant
    Bomb Casing = Stone + Sap Plant
    (for making lots of cool tools with)

Cool Drink = Ice Crystal + Bitterbug
    (for keeping you from overheating in the volcano)

Dung Bomb = Dung + Bomb Casing
    Dung Bomb = Dung + Bomb Sac
    (for fighting off monsters that maul you)

Energy Drink = Honey + Nitroshroom
    (replaces energy, similar to a well-done steak)

Farcaster = Exciteshroom + Bomb Casing
    (returns you to the camp, use when low on life to bug out and heal)

Flash Bomb = Flashbug + Bomb Casing
    (can stun some monsters)

Gun Powder = Fire Herb + Nitroshroom
    (for making bombs)

Hot Drink = Bitterbug + Hot Pepper
    (stops you freezing in the snow)

Max Potion = Mega Nutrients + Dragon Toadstool
    (does what it says on the tin)

Mega Bug Net = Monster Bone M + Net
    Mega Pickaxe = Machalite + Ore Bone

Mega Potion = Potion + Honey
    (good potion for simple resources)

Net = Ivy + Spider Web
    (for pitfall traps)

Paintball = Sap Plant + Paintberry
    (for tracking monsters and setting off bombs)

Pitfall Trap = Net + Trap Tool

Potion = Herb + Mushroom

Shock Trap = Thunderbug + Trap Tool

Sonic bomb= screamer+gunpowder
    (for shocking monsters vulnerable to sound/vibration)

You'll also need tranquilliser, mix with bomb casings for tranq bombs to capture monsters you've trapped.

Edited by brokenkey at 23:09:46 18-05-2013

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• Armoured_Bear 25 Feb 2013 16:00:20 8,746 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    How do you stop the first monster in the demo just recharging his health and kicking your arse?

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Deleted user 25 February 2013 16:02:13
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    How do you stop the first monster in the demo just recharging his health and kicking your arse?
    You keep hounding him from area to area, don't give him time to pause and get a second wind.
  • spindle9988 25 Feb 2013 16:03:27 3,367 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Find his special place
  • brokenkey 25 Feb 2013 16:15:50 6,801 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nintendo need to think their advertising strategy - I didn't know the demo had been released until I happened to load up another web site using internet explorer. Ad Blockers getting in the way of important information.

3DS 3497-0122-1484

• Deleted user 25 February 2013 17:10:49
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unless you're shooting recovery ammo at it, the only way it can (slowly) restore health is by going off to sleep in area 6.

Monsters with low health will limp when changing areas, but other than that won't act any differently.
  • Raiko101 25 Feb 2013 17:45:15 5,533 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Apparently i've hit 3 hours with the Wii U demo and 2 on the 3DS. I should probably just wait for the game to come out now, before I over do it...

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• brokenkey 25 Feb 2013 22:01:54 6,801 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Is there a way to get the camera to keep the monster in view? Or is struggling with the view part of the game mechanic?

Also, how do you use potions?

(3DS)

3DS 3497-0122-1484

• Raiko101 25 Feb 2013 22:52:26 5,533 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Hit the monster button on the touch screen. From then on, everytime you hit L it'll target the monster. You'll press that button a lot, but its actually quicker than moving the camera manually.

Use potions by pressing Y. Holding L allows you to select items using Y and A, which seems weird, but allows you to change items while running.

• brokenkey 26 Feb 2013 08:52:43 6,801 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I thought Y did an overhead swing attack with my greatsword.

3DS 3497-0122-1484

• Alastair 26 Feb 2013 09:37:44 14,953 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Cid wrote:
    Unless you're shooting recovery ammo at it, the only way it can (slowly) restore health is by going off to sleep in area 6.

Monsters with low health will limp when changing areas, but other than that won't act any differently.
    Listen to this man - he is a MH legend!

Not as nice as I used to be

• DFawkes 26 Feb 2013 10:28:10 22,056 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    brokenkey wrote:
    I thought Y did an overhead swing attack with my greatsword.
    That'd be if it was a 360 pad. I NEVER get those mixed up myself ;) Okay, I always do. Every time. I've no idea why given I've been using the SNES pad for years more.

On Nintendo consoles it's X for the overhead slice. Y is sheath your weapon, then once it's sheathed you can press it again to use your current item. Like Raiko says, you can also switch item by holding L and pressing Y to go left or A to go right. Bit clunky I know, but you rarely have to do that in battle.

Edited by DFawkes at 10:28:56 26-02-2013

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• ZuluHero 26 Feb 2013 16:00:59 3,660 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Im tempted by the XL bundle too. Used to love MH on psp/ps2. how are the graphics, do thw hold upto the wii?
  • Alastair 26 Feb 2013 16:09:29 14,953 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Will there be a Wii-U bundle?
    Is there any indication that the Wii U version will support voice chat?

• DFawkes 26 Feb 2013 16:27:00 22,056 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yes to both. I saw the bundle when I was doing some price comparisons, and also found it has voice chat.

• roz123 28 Feb 2013 16:33:40 7,107 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Wii U version is going to have an update in April with off tv play support

• Frogofdoom 28 Feb 2013 17:27:50 801 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Nice to see. Capcom have been making a few more efforts recently to repair the damage to their reputation their dlc greed caused.
  • DFawkes 28 Feb 2013 18:38:43 22,056 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Adding Gamepad screen play is very good news for me, that's a feature I'm very interested in and was disappointed wasn't featured before. It must be relatively easy to implement if it can be patched in like that. Or maybe it'll be a big patch, I don't know.

It's also nice that there'll be cross-region play of course, but it's not that useful to me personally.

• brokenkey 28 Feb 2013 19:11:45 6,801 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ah. remember when Official Capcom Guy used to frequent the form? Good times.

3DS 3497-0122-1484

• Gambit1977 28 Feb 2013 19:12:12 9,543 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I downloaded the demo for this ages ago, but am so hooked on the Witcher 2 I haven't tried it. So is it just MH HD or have they changed much?
  • Rhaegyr 1 Mar 2013 11:54:52 1,109 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    This is the game I'm going to buy a Wii U for (now Rayman has been delayed).

I've never played a Monster Hunter before but poured hundreds of hours into Phantasy Star Online for the DC and GC and I get the impression this is very similar.

I'm pretty certain I'm going to love this game but I'm not 100% sure. My favourite games of the last few years have been Xenoblade Chronicles, Dark/Demon's Souls and Witcher 2 - can a seasoned player give me a rough idea if I'll like how it plays?

Thanks in advance!
  • acousticwilliam 7 Mar 2013 16:46:36 751 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Never played MH before. Had a click moment on the demo and killed the snow rabbit. Now I'm hungry for more. Might have to slap down a preorder.
  • Deleted user 12 March 2013 09:42:12
    I wasn't too keen on the demo at first but it's grabbed me since. I've read some reviews of Tri which this is based on and tney've been positive so this port has a good game at its core at least.

I'll be looking for a gang come the end of the month.
  • roz123 12 Mar 2013 09:43:35 7,107 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Battle trailer
  • Murbal 12 Mar 2013 10:26:32 21,547 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Zavvi have got a pre-order deal saving 10% with POG10. Just ordered the 3DS version for 26.99 as a result. There goes a guaranteed 100 hours plus, even if I never make it past the 3* quests ;-)

Edited by Murbal at 10:26:47 12-03-2013
  • Raiko101 12 Mar 2013 23:35:51 5,533 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Anyone got any tips for the harder monster? I'm making progress, but it's still a battle against the clock for me.

• Alastair 13 Mar 2013 08:05:01 14,953 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Is everyone playing the demo on WiiU, or it is available on 3DS as well?

• Alastair 13 Mar 2013 08:06:41 14,953 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    Anyone got any tips for the harder monster? I'm making progress, but it's still a battle against the clock for me.
    In general you need to find out it's weaknesses and tailor your approach based on that. Of course, at the beginning it's hard to have enough materials to craft different weapons.
    Also, consider stocking up on items that could help you - traps, bombs etc.

• Red_Bool 13 Mar 2013 13:01:38 1,142 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Alastair - It's available on both. Actually bought me a WiiU this monday (still don't know why, but it was a good deal: 270 euros for the premium pack). The demos are actually the same, which is surprising - WiiU obviously looks better but for the rest it's identical (both have 2 screens even :)).

I've tried both demos, but I'm not sure what to think of this yet. The controls feel odd and was not yet able to kill one of those monsters.
    I haven't played a Monster Hunter game before. Could someone explain what the "idea" behind it is? Why am I supposed to kill these monsters?
  • Page

of 17 First / Last

Previous