Weirdos you've encountered Page 6

• Page

of 6 First / Last

Next
  • richardiox 27 Feb 2013 00:58:08 5,640 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I did some youth work with a load of traveller kids on various sites in Peterborough several years ago.

Blew most of my preconceptions out the water but have to admit was shitting it the first time I went 'on site' as they were places of local infamy.

As it happens the kids and parents were all very nice to me and far from being 'dirty gypsies' every caravan I went in was immaculately clean... although that's to do with how they essentially enslave their women.
  • speedofthepuma 27 Feb 2013 02:46:07 13,304 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    "My preconceptions were blown away, so I formed new ones."

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• FuzzyDuck 27 Feb 2013 03:23:17 4,334 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Scurrminator wrote:
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    Apologies if I offended anyone. I know tarring everyone (and I'm referring to specifically Irish travellers, as they are the ones I've had contact with) with the same brush is bad form, but opinions are shaped on your experiences, and my experiences with these people are all negative. Their only contribution to society is a drain on resources and are at best a headache, at worst a genuine threat to normal, hardworking people.

Me saying 'sink the lot of 'em' is an overreaction, I was pretty pissed off at the time, keyboard warrior and what have you. How about they get an island for themselves somewhere as they don't want to be functioning members of this society, and most people I know would be happy to see the back of them.

And I'm sure if anyone had a bunch move next door to them their first response wouldn't be "can't wait to meet the new neighbours!".
    Just ask yourself would you say this about black people? Or how the Polish took ouuuurrrrrr jeeerbs?
    I get that some of them do not help their image BUT there are a lot more that are perfectly decent people. It's my wife's job to work with their communities and get their kids into school.
    I think what I'm trying to say is don't be a racist douche.

Those YouTube videos of the fight threatening Irish travellers are funny though :-)
    Maybe my initial comment was a bit off the cuff and not picked up how I intended - I'm just sick of the dregs of society basically doing what they want, without any care for anyone but their own selfish selves, basically living above the law, thinking they call the shots and living off the fat of the land. In my instance last night, I was minding my own business, and had this person invade my personal space, question my sexuality in a very nasty way (I don't think someone leering into your face and calling you a "dirty fucking queer" is one of jest). How would I have felt if i was homosexual, and more to the point one who had yet to become comfortable with my sexuality with a comment like this?

If it was me or anyone else here who did and said what this one did last night I would expect to either have the cops called on me or have my face smashed in there and then. But no, if i said 'boo' to this one in return she would have been out to the car that was parked outside to get her knuckle headed fella in to kick the shit out me. I care not for skin colour or ethnic background; a nice person is a nice person regardless of race, and the same is true of all douche bags. All ethnic groups will invariably feature people from one end of the spectrum to the other.

My point is that I'm yet to meet an Irish traveller that doesn't reinforce the negative stereotype, and my experience last night was just another in a long, long list of incidents that reinforce said stereotype. Ye guys seem to have positive experiences with them - that's great for ye and I'm happy to meet these people too and smash my preconceived notion, but as I stated already, yer experiences shape yer opinion and yer experiences are that they're not all bad, but equally, my experiences shape my opinion to the effect that they're all despicable excuses for people who are nothing more than wastes of oxygen.

Edited by FuzzyDuck at 03:23:58 27-02-2013
  • Scurrminator 27 Feb 2013 14:54:10 8,437 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You likely never will see the nicer side of the community though as I seriously doubt that you will go wondering onto a site and begin conversing with them :-)
    But they do exist; and a lot of them live in houses too nowadays thanks to local councils trying to get them to stay put so that their kids can attend a single school.
    And lets leave it there; there are far more weird people than Travellers anyways!

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• RedSparrows 1 Mar 2013 12:06:17 23,298 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've had my personal space invaded by plenty of non-traveller weirdos. One in particular seemed very interested in whether I was married... to my brother, or not.

:/
  • RedSparrows 1 Mar 2013 12:10:29 23,298 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    Scurrminator wrote:
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    Apologies if I offended anyone. I know tarring everyone (and I'm referring to specifically Irish travellers, as they are the ones I've had contact with) with the same brush is bad form, but opinions are shaped on your experiences, and my experiences with these people are all negative. Their only contribution to society is a drain on resources and are at best a headache, at worst a genuine threat to normal, hardworking people.

Me saying 'sink the lot of 'em' is an overreaction, I was pretty pissed off at the time, keyboard warrior and what have you. How about they get an island for themselves somewhere as they don't want to be functioning members of this society, and most people I know would be happy to see the back of them.

And I'm sure if anyone had a bunch move next door to them their first response wouldn't be "can't wait to meet the new neighbours!".
    Just ask yourself would you say this about black people? Or how the Polish took ouuuurrrrrr jeeerbs?
    I get that some of them do not help their image BUT there are a lot more that are perfectly decent people. It's my wife's job to work with their communities and get their kids into school.
    I think what I'm trying to say is don't be a racist douche.

Those YouTube videos of the fight threatening Irish travellers are funny though :-)
    Maybe my initial comment was a bit off the cuff and not picked up how I intended - I'm just sick of the dregs of society basically doing what they want, without any care for anyone but their own selfish selves, basically living above the law, thinking they call the shots and living off the fat of the land. In my instance last night, I was minding my own business, and had this person invade my personal space, question my sexuality in a very nasty way (I don't think someone leering into your face and calling you a "dirty fucking queer" is one of jest). How would I have felt if i was homosexual, and more to the point one who had yet to become comfortable with my sexuality with a comment like this?

If it was me or anyone else here who did and said what this one did last night I would expect to either have the cops called on me or have my face smashed in there and then. But no, if i said 'boo' to this one in return she would have been out to the car that was parked outside to get her knuckle headed fella in to kick the shit out me. I care not for skin colour or ethnic background; a nice person is a nice person regardless of race, and the same is true of all douche bags. All ethnic groups will invariably feature people from one end of the spectrum to the other.

My point is that I'm yet to meet an Irish traveller that doesn't reinforce the negative stereotype, and my experience last night was just another in a long, long list of incidents that reinforce said stereotype. Ye guys seem to have positive experiences with them - that's great for ye and I'm happy to meet these people too and smash my preconceived notion, but as I stated already, yer experiences shape yer opinion and yer experiences are that they're not all bad, but equally, my experiences shape my opinion to the effect that they're all despicable excuses for people who are nothing more than wastes of oxygen.
    Yes, your experiences shape your views. But even then you can tell that 'they're all despicable excuses for people who are nothing more than wastes of oxygen.' is not necessarily entirely fair, surely? Given the numbers of people involved, and the nature of mental conditions - i.e. they don't just affect Irish travellers... (let alone a smidge of an overreaction, if we take 'wastes of oxygen' to its bitter end).

General note: I'm not offended by these views so much as disheartened. There's a really pernicious counter-PC thing going around where if you disagree with something you're being overly-sensitive, man up, or even just being 'offended' is rubbish, because offence is what makes us tough, therefore all offence is fine (+ 'that's my opinion.' Yes it is. It's shit. NEXT) etc etc. Bollocks to that. /ramble

Edited by RedSparrows at 12:11:14 01-03-2013
  • imamazed 1 Mar 2013 12:10:29 5,791 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    I've had my personal space invaded by plenty of non-traveller weirdos. One in particular seemed very interested in whether I was married... to my brother, or not.

:/
    Well, are you?
  • Tonka 19 Aug 2013 07:12:33 20,793 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Random nutter story with a bit of a build up.

Me and my family had been to Greece and the flight home was at 3am
    Landed around 5 local time in Denmark and got on the train to Sweden.

The trains have some special carts for people with luggage and strollers and since we had both we headed for that cart. (Wagon?) As we enter there's a party going on. A guy with a big ass african drum, one with dual cowbells and a girl (they're all light hippies) are playing and singing and dancing some african music and a hipster/hippie couple are enjoying it.

I'm no big fan of world music so I was sort of relieved when they finished their song and things quieted down. The hippie hipster (or was he a hipster hippie?) gave some compliment and failed at namedropping some other world music band and the drummer said something about letting the children sleep. It was quite clear that everyone had had a big night out.

All of a sudden four very drunk run of the mill swedish white middle class yoofs stumbled into the car and gave up a massive cheer. Turns out that on the train to Copenhagen they had partied with the music troupe on the train and that this had left an everlasting memory in the minds of the drunken yoofs. THey started chanting and banging the drum and asking for a song so that they could dance.

The drummer was trying to calm things down and pointing to my kids and saying "There are children here, they should sleep".

One of the drunks asked me if I minded and I said "No" since it would be more trouble if the kids had fallen asleep and I was getting curious about the music and thought it could be a fun thing to see the drunken youths in action.

There was a lot of "No we can't play" and "Ooohhh COME ON!"

Then the nutter appears

A weird upscale hipster in Marty McFly bubble vest and trucker hat puts his head in our cart screaming at the top of his lungs
    "Stop the fucking plonking for fucks sake!"
    "There are grown ups trying to sleep here!"

The youth brigade burst out laughing and the yuppi hipster disappears.

For a few seconds

Then he's back hurling a plastic box with a half eaten salad inside straight at ME!

The youth brigade along with the cowbell player storms off to confront the nutter and a shouting match ensues.

Then things quieted down since people started arriving at their stops and getting off the train. The youth brigades leader has a drunken conversation with my father in law (who only speaks chinese so he doesn't understand a thing) and gives him a drunken bro hug before he leaves the train.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Page

of 6 First / Last

Next