is it worth buying a gaming pc Page 3

  • Page

    of 4 First / Last

  • Dirtbox 24 Feb 2013 18:59:59 77,453 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    People are already reading from Sony's press sheet like it's fact? There's no hope for the world.

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • Dirtbox 24 Feb 2013 19:03:52 77,453 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Powering a 40" plasma costs a bomb too, and games are a few quid after a year on the PC as well, what's your point?

    And the only person banging on about graphics in this thread is you.

    Edited by Dirtbox at 19:04:12 24-02-2013

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 24 Feb 2013 19:06:18 6,654 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Downloads fucking rule. I'd pay a fiver extra for the steam version.
  • Dirtbox 24 Feb 2013 19:10:15 77,453 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You're not very good at trolling, are you?

    Unless you're one of those trolls that just makes themselves look like they're thick as shit to get a response, in whichcase, you're a great troll.

    Edited by Dirtbox at 19:11:18 24-02-2013

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • Pinky_Floyd 24 Feb 2013 19:13:32 7,341 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Powering a 40" plasma costs a bomb too, and games are a few quid after a year on the PC as well, what's your point?

    And the only person banging on about graphics in this thread is you.
    I have a 50" plasma.

    /burns 50 quid in front of a tramp

    that's a pound for every inch of power hungry goodness.

    Edited by Pinky_Floyd at 19:15:09 24-02-2013
  • Dirtbox 24 Feb 2013 19:16:33 77,453 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Decadent gaming.

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • Pinky_Floyd 24 Feb 2013 19:19:44 7,341 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Decadent gaming.
    I'm a plasma snob. Every forum has one.
  • Pinky_Floyd 24 Feb 2013 19:25:15 7,341 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I saw DarkSpaceDS licking a window earlier.
  • Dirtbox 24 Feb 2013 19:26:21 77,453 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm licking Microsoft Windows.

    Apparently.

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • Pinky_Floyd 24 Feb 2013 19:45:46 7,341 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The chief antagonist in this thread has persuaded me to ritually sacrifice my pc on the Altar Of Kaz.

    Kaz told me himself that the PS4 is definitely not similar to a PC.
  • Deleted user 24 February 2013 19:57:05
    DarkSpaceDS wrote:
    @mega-comrade "You will always get idiots like DarkspaceDS who don't have a clue what they are talking about and also PC elitist dicks who harp on about the pros of PC gaming but never any of the negatives. Ignore them."

    "PC elitist dicks" ? Are you talking about actual PC owners ? The only reason I created that list was because me and every other console owner is sick of elitist PC "dicks" who are so insensitive that they have to spout PC is better than consoles.

    Let me make this simple for you. Console owners don't give a shit if PCs are more powerful. People who already own consoles made their decision along time ago whether they want a PC or console.

    Most buy consoles because its pick up and play and most people own one meaning people want a system their friends have.

    If you like your PC fine but don't spout something people already know. People own consoles for their own reasons and won't be convinced by an 40 year old PC owner who is still living in their parents basement.
    I'm not sure what your trying to say in this post, except to insult people who own Pcs. No one was saying anything bad about consoles so don't use the defensive argument, you came in here and started shouting your mouth off about stuff you clearly don't know about and got laughed at. Now your claiming the victim card.


    As for your list, it was mostly garbage. For a start my PC is connected to a monitor but also has an extention HDMI to my TV so I play it on both.
    As several have already stated large TVs use more power than a PC.
    2nd hand is unnecessary due to the prices of PC games.
    Compatability is pretty simple these days, I've not come across a single game I couldn't run. I don't even need to look at spec requirements.

    Most of your complaints I could understand maybe 10 years ago but not today.

    Consoles are great for their cost and accessibility. PC has strengths in other areas. For some those strengths justify the extra cost and for others they don't and that's fine.

    This us and them nonsense needs to stop. Many people switch between being console gamers and PC gamers all the time. I was a PC gamer for 5 years then a console gamer for 8 and now I'm a PC gamer again. My needs change and so my platform of choice with them.

    Edited by mega-comrade at 20:01:58 24-02-2013
  • Folant 24 Feb 2013 20:24:39 1,161 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I use both. I like both. I'll use both in the future.

    Console gamer

    PC gamer

    Meh

    I just like games, and both give me games.

    I'm ok with that.

    Posted from my Nexus 4, not using Tapatalk 4.

  • Gambit1977 24 Feb 2013 20:54:24 9,583 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If I were to start building a steam box style pc, what price would I be looking at, and what equipment should I be buying, in order to be upgradeable to at least ps4 standard?
  • Armoured_Bear 24 Feb 2013 22:17:21 10,235 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I built a PC a few months back after years of console gaming, being annoyed by elitist tosspots with PCs and with ideas of endless fucking about to get stuff to run.

    It sits in my living room, looks like AV equipment and is connected to a 50" Plasma and a wireless 360 controller.
    It's really easy, everything I've bought has been downloaded so no discs are used and everything cost a fraction of what it would on console, most games have cost me well under a tenner and every game so far supports the 360 controller.
    The graphical improvement is quite noticeable and playing every game without tearing and at 60fps makes a bigger difference than you'd imagine.
    It's like a 360 but with much, much better graphics and cheaper games.
    You can fanny about as much as you want with mods and stuff but most games run perfectly and easily, it's not *that* much different from a console except the hardware is more expensive and the games are cheaper.

    Whether you want to game on Sony, Nintendo, MS machines or a PC should come down to what games you want to play. If you like Sony exclusives get a Playstation, ditto Nintendo and MS, for everything else get a PC (If you want the best possible experience).

    BTW My PC is quieter and far less annoying than any of the consoles despite having a GTX670, 3570K, 8GB RAM etc.

    XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

  • ibenam 24 Feb 2013 22:51:11 1,344 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    I built a PC a few months back after years of console gaming, being annoyed by elitist tosspots with PCs and with ideas of endless fucking about to get stuff to run.

    It sits in my living room, looks like AV equipment and is connected to a 50" Plasma and a wireless 360 controller.
    It's really easy, everything I've bought has been downloaded so no discs are used and everything cost a fraction of what it would on console, most games have cost me well under a tenner and every game so far supports the 360 controller.
    The graphical improvement is quite noticeable and playing every game without tearing and at 60fps makes a bigger difference than you'd imagine.
    It's like a 360 but with much, much better graphics and cheaper games.
    You can fanny about as much as you want with mods and stuff but most games run perfectly and easily, it's not *that* much different from a console except the hardware is more expensive and the games are cheaper.

    Whether you want to game on Sony, Nintendo, MS machines or a PC should come down to what games you want to play. If you like Sony exclusives get a Playstation, ditto Nintendo and MS, for everything else get a PC (If you want the best possible experience).

    BTW My PC is quieter and far less annoying than any of the consoles despite having a GTX670, 3570K, 8GB RAM etc.
    Cool Story bro.
  • RedSparrows 24 Feb 2013 22:55:48 21,960 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DarkSpaceDS wrote:
    RedSparrows wrote:
    DarkSpaceDS wrote:

    "PC elitist dicks" ? Are you talking about actual PC owners ? The only reason I created that list was because me and every other console owner is sick of elitist PC "dicks" who are so insensitive that they have to spout PC is better than consoles.

    I thought your list was terrible. Not because I'm a 'PC elitist', but because it was... terrible. C'est la vie.
    lol at the PC "hardcore" as I've hurt their little feelings. How was my list terrible and if so at least explain why as you make yourself look like a right tard.

    Oh gosh. I don't think I need to explain why your list was a smidge stupid.
  • bad09 25 Feb 2013 00:38:35 5,623 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    If I were to start building a steam box style pc, what price would I be looking at, and what equipment should I be buying, in order to be upgradeable to at least ps4 standard?
    Here you go. He doesn't include a blu drive or blu player software which is dumb IMO but I think he went for a pure gaming angle rather than the multimedia PS4 will no doubt bring.

    http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/02/21/pc-gamer-vs-playstation-4-theres-only-ever-going-to-be-one-winner-right/
  • timetraveler 25 Feb 2013 07:32:53 61 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I'd buy PC. New consoles are great of course, but I would be afraid that i'll get bored quickly. And PC games are much cheaper.
  • tonyferrino 25 Feb 2013 08:37:00 178 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    bad09 wrote:
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    If I were to start building a steam box style pc, what price would I be looking at, and what equipment should I be buying, in order to be upgradeable to at least ps4 standard?
    Here you go. He doesn't include a blu drive or blu player software which is dumb IMO but I think he went for a pure gaming angle rather than the multimedia PS4 will no doubt bring.

    http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/02/21/pc-gamer-vs-playstation-4-theres-only-ever-going-to-be-one-winner-right/
    Needs Windows too, so more like about 500, and the case/power supply combo is a bit dodgy.
  • UncleLou Moderator 25 Feb 2013 08:44:43 35,421 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Buy a PC now (but downgrade it a bit, as others have recommended, no point in buying top-spec hardware), then buy a next-gen console in 3 or 4 years when there's actually a few games worth owning.
  • THFourteen 25 Feb 2013 08:46:51 32,854 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What is the point of these "is xx worth it" threads

    worth what? how much does 500 mean to you? How do we know whether it is worth it or not?
  • Deleted user 25 February 2013 09:12:20
    I'd like a Gaming PC but wouldn't know where to start.
    Playing games (battlefield 2, PES 4 and the first Call of Duty) on my old PC is what got me into online gaming on a console in the first place.
  • bad09 25 Feb 2013 09:14:46 5,623 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @tonyferrino

    Yeah I forgot to mention that, the guy misses things (even k&m & controller) but a good guide to compare what you'll need for next gen spec wise.
  • nickthegun 25 Feb 2013 09:19:02 58,782 posts
    Seen 30 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I built a reasonable PC for bang on 500, mainly because im just sick of being gouged and treated like an open wallet, so couldnt see myself getting one of the new consoles. Steams Big Picture mode is just brilliant.

    Im now a gaming snob who cant take a joke.

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

  • Deckard1 25 Feb 2013 09:21:34 27,046 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    If you don't get one of the new consoles its over between us.
  • Page

    of 4 First / Last

Log in or register to reply