is it worth buying a gaming pc Page 2

• Page

of 4 First / Last

• andytheadequate 23 Feb 2013 17:44:05 7,949 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Don't buy a pc just for the graphics as it really isn't worth it. The joy of pcs is playing games you would never be able to play on a console e.g. MMORPGs, strategy games, and things like planetside 2 and 64 player bf3. If you just want to play the big AAA games then wait for the ps4 as it will probably have more of them and will save you a fortune.
  • JayG 23 Feb 2013 17:54:11 828 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I got no problem waiting for games to be released. I have a similar issue with GTA 5 coming up, buy the 360 version or wait for the PC one. But again, that's personal, I'm one of the few who prefers mouse and keyboard for GTA games. Makes aiming a lot easier. I can understand why games get delayed, and one of the reasons I hate piracy. One of the reasons so many PC gamers might have issues with bugs etc could be pirated versions. Has been known to happen.

And as someone who is debating picking up a P4, I do reckon the 720 will have better exclusives. Just not really the type of games I like.

Thought of 2 more games, Max Payne, which really looked spectacular on PC, and Arkham City which was probably the only game I got that was broken on the PC. the Direct X 11 mode never worked, but otherwise still worked fine. As it happens though the only AAA game I'll be getting this year for PC will be Bioshock, but otherwise there is a lot of Kickstarter games coming that look good, and Age of Wonders 3 is a must have.

Edited by JayG at 18:16:19 23-02-2013
  • andytheadequate 23 Feb 2013 23:29:04 7,949 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @DarkSpaceDS - only children argue over which is better. Adults discuss which format they prefer...
  • RedSparrows 23 Feb 2013 23:34:28 20,745 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DarkSpaceDS wrote:
    Moot_Point wrote:
    DarkSpaceDS wrote:
    PC lol. its a fools game.
    I could make a list on why consoles are better than PC.
    please do, i could do with a laugh.

Edited by RedSparrows at 23:34:42 23-02-2013
  • phAge 23 Feb 2013 23:35:37 24,280 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just today I bought a used leather chair which I've put in front of my 32" Philips LCD in my room.

Telly is hooked up to my PC, and sometime next week I'm going to attach wooden plates to the armrests so I can use mouse and keyboard like a boss. Gave it a go with Frozen Synaps earlier today, and it is already very, very Dr. Evil.

BF3 looks fucking stunning as well.
  • Cannon_Fodder 24 Feb 2013 00:11:53 210 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    DarkSpaceDS wrote:
    RedSparrows wrote:
    DarkSpaceDS wrote:
    Moot_Point wrote:
    DarkSpaceDS wrote:
    Consoles are easy to use, don't have to worry about compatibility and drivers, can trade games in, you know a game will work, exclusives, actual innovation, better developer support, better to play on sofa than on desk, some games like GTA and sports games don't feel right on PC, looks better with your TV set up, PCs have high power consumption meaning a bigger electricity bill etc.
    Actual innovation? Exclusives?

Edited by Cannon_Fodder at 00:13:33 24-02-2013

Twitch TV: http://twitch.tv/drunk_geordie

3DS: 3196-3686-5181 (Cannon)
    Xbox Live: CannonFodderDOS
    PSN: DrunkenGeordie

• WrongShui 24 Feb 2013 01:16:00 6,574 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DarkSpaceDS wrote:
    RedSparrows wrote:
    DarkSpaceDS wrote:
    Moot_Point wrote:
    DarkSpaceDS wrote:
    Consoles are easy to use, don't have to worry about compatibility and drivers, can trade games in, you know a game will work, exclusives, actual innovation, better developer support, better to play on sofa than on desk, some games like GTA and sports games don't feel right on PC, looks better with your TV set up, PCs have high power consumption meaning a bigger electricity bill etc.
    Terrible list is terrible, it's not even in listy shape! I demand bullet points or numbered items!
  • RedSparrows 24 Feb 2013 01:37:39 20,745 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Making a list at all = missing every point.
  • Dirtbox 24 Feb 2013 03:14:45 76,317 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Interesting list and all completely wrong.

Take the electric bill; it costs the same amount to power a large HDTV and a console as it does a PC. In some cases a lot more if you've got a plasma that's over 38"

The only true one on there is second hand games, but that will be a thing of the past and PC games will still be cheaper.

Edited by Dirtbox at 03:23:17 24-02-2013

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• superdelphinus 24 Feb 2013 09:12:53 7,262 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fuggin hell I remember lame arguments like this in cvg in the 90s. There are benefits to both, but pcs are hugely superior in every way apart from cost, and even that is debatable these days. The driver compatibility thing isn't really true any more I don't think.

I don't think my pc as it stands at the moment would be able to run that watchdogs as it looks on the video though, the other ones I think it would be fine.
  • Maturin 24 Feb 2013 09:15:41 2,728 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I built a new PC a few months ago. I haven't any problems running any of the games I want to play.

I do remember the days of PC gaming being a nightmare. But these days it's simple.
  • beastmaster 24 Feb 2013 09:22:40 10,171 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No longer have to alter config.sys?

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• mcmothercruncher 24 Feb 2013 09:47:13 5,704 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You don't have to, but PC gaming attracts the kinda person who likes to.
  • bad09 24 Feb 2013 10:11:35 5,503 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Wait, the OP has saved enough to buy a meaty gaming PC, but can't save enough money for a PS4 that's not out until the end of the year possibly next year in Europe? Riiiiiight.........

Anyone would think this another PC v console thread.
  • mcmothercruncher 24 Feb 2013 10:34:43 5,704 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think it's a PC or console thread.
  • SuperBas 24 Feb 2013 10:37:24 1,436 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    To answer your first question, Sony uses cheap cooling paste for its PS4. If you build your own PC, you can use high end paste, and get a significant boost in performance.
  • Deleted user 24 February 2013 16:35:52
    The problem with the original question of 'is a gaming PC worth it' is that there is no correct answer.

The right question to ask is "is a gaming PC worth it for me?"

You will always get idiots like DarkspaceDS who don't have a clue what they are talking about and also PC elitist dicks who harp on about the pros of PC gaming but never any of the negatives. Ignore them.

You need to ask yourself what you want from a gaming platform and address the pros and cons correctly.

I for example was in the market for a new laptop, I realised spending 400 on a Laptop and then another 300 on a console was silly when I could just have a gaming rig that did the job of both and still bests the specs of the PS4.

Some of the main benefits of PC gaming come from the freedom of the platform, cutting edge graphics, the modding scene, backwards compatibility and the indie scene. Do these matter to you? If the answer is no then then save yourself some hassle and money and stick with console. And lets be honest, with the exception of graphics most people do not care about these benefits, it's why Sony aren't bothered with backwards compatibility with the PS4, as much as people moan 90% of people don't give a shit about it and the same goes for PC gaming. Yeah I love it but a lot of the things I love and justify for me the premium price are completely wasted on most people.

As for exclusives however, people seem to be very ignorant of PC games. Not really their fault I suppose, Eurogamer is a console based website that only occasionally covers the PC scene.

Currently I am playing

Chivalry
    Planetside 2
    Path of Exile
    Hotline Miami
    Tribes Ascend
    Guild Wars 2

With the exception of Hotline Miami which comes out on PS3 later this year (which you really should buy, it's fantastic) none of those games listed are on consoles.

Then you have League of legends, the biggest game in the world, dwarfing Call of duty. PC exclusive. Now personally I'd rather have the fantastic Uncharted but I'm only really listing it to make a point. Exclusives are few and far between and not something you should be basing a 400+ decision on especially as with the next generation hardware being so similar to PC we will see very few exclusives outside of first party titles. Porting will be a far more simple process than it currently is.

No platform is better than another platform. You have to decide based on what you want from it.
  • JayG 24 Feb 2013 16:49:34 828 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you are interested in all the different aspects of PC gaming, should check out http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/ .

As for PC Gamers who are total pricks, was a link on RPS to this lad having to deal with entitled gamers.

http://arcengames.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/valley-2-official-1001-mouse-aiming-for.html

Comments there says it all. For the record I've been playing PC games since DOOM, and back then most of the time Consoles were graphically superior basically until 3d cards came along. Basically play PC because the type of games I like are developed for it. For a long time PC and Console could exist side by side without any of this shite as the games were aimed at totally different audiences.
  • Deleted user 24 February 2013 16:57:01
    What?
  • killersrquiet 24 Feb 2013 17:54:57 1,386 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I would always recommend PC gaming over a console though it truly comes down to the type of games you like.

Cost is another factor as staying relatively up to date hardware wise requires upgrading more frequently.

If console games satisfy your gaming needs right now then its pointless.

For someone like me who moved from PC gaming to console the biggest drawbacks I have are:

1. Controller - keyboard and mouse are easier to use
    2. Resolution
    3. FOV (field of view)
    4. Player count ie 64 man servers
  • Hiragana 24 Feb 2013 17:59:43 2 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    If your an avid console gamer that doesnt mind paying 30+ for games then id just stick with ps3/4. I decided to get a gaming pc after i bought a ps3 near launch and realised id bought less than 15 games over the last 7-8 years.
    I built a new pc with eyefinity (playing on 3 screens), crossfire etc a couple of months ago and ive considered it money well spent so far. If you already have a decent pc then you might not be so impressed, but personally i went from a prebuilt 4 year old office pc to this and the difference blew me away. I actually enjoy using my pc these days, everythings so fast that even if something crashes/BSOD me then im back to desktop in about 20 seconds. The graphics on games are stunning, however its the kind of thing that if you never experience it then you arent going to miss it. Ive also had no problems running recent games, the only times i have to turn to google is when games dont support eyefinity.
    Ive already got more games on my steam account that i got in sales than i ever bought for my ps3 and finding games like Chivalry and other indie games is great. The playstation 2 emulator pcsx2 is also amazing if you like ps2 games, being able to play all those games i missed out on during the ps2 era in HD is fantastic.
    Like i said though, if you still love your consoles and regularly buy games for them you might be better off just buying a ps4 and spending the rest on games.
  • RedSparrows 24 Feb 2013 18:05:48 20,745 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DarkSpaceDS wrote:

"PC elitist dicks" ? Are you talking about actual PC owners ? The only reason I created that list was because me and every other console owner is sick of elitist PC "dicks" who are so insensitive that they have to spout PC is better than consoles.

I thought your list was terrible. Not because I'm a 'PC elitist', but because it was... terrible. C'est la vie.
  • Dirtbox 24 Feb 2013 18:25:56 76,317 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Consoles are pick up, wait an hour to download and install updates and play.

As for PC elitest dicks, maybe you shouldn't go into threads about PCs and spout clueless bollocks.

It's all pointlessly defensive bullshit from both sides, so be a good chap and toddle off.

Edited by Dirtbox at 18:29:13 24-02-2013

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Page

of 4 First / Last