is it worth buying a gaming pc

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous
  • ehsanmazhar 23 Feb 2013 15:13:30 8 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Hi there guys so I really wanted to purchase a gaming pc and saved enough pennies to be able to buy 17 3770k , 16gb 1866 mhz kingston ram, 750watt psu, ati 7950 3gb, gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R-SLI motherboard but now that the ps4 specs are out, is it still worth buying the gaming pc or should i just wait for the ps4. bearing in mind i saved up through the last year and can only afford one or the other thanks guys
  • quadfather 23 Feb 2013 15:18:12 11,827 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    If you've saved enough to buy that kind of spec, it'll do anything the ps4 can do and more. You could probably buy 2 ps4's for that kind of pc price. Id say that spec will last a fair few years and you could always upgrade it as you go along.

I'd say the only other thing to think about is where you're going to put it. Connected to your tv or on a desk with a monitor?

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• quadfather 23 Feb 2013 15:19:17 11,827 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Might want to think about a 77 based mobo for upgrade reasons. Though I'm not sure how well the one you've mentioned scales

• ehsanmazhar 23 Feb 2013 15:24:09 8 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @quadfather hey thanks for the reply, yes i think the mobo can be upgraded for 50-80 pounds more so no problem there, i guess your right i can probably buy a xbox 720 and ps4 for that price so might do that but a pc is a pc ah so confused . yes its costing me around 785-800 gbp for that build so i could probably buy better things with my money and as a student money is hard to come buy. already have xbox 360 and ps3 and love them but when you have friends spread all-over on multi platforms its reignites desire to have all the consoles/gaming pc
  • grey_matters 23 Feb 2013 15:25:23 3,672 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You could save about 230 by going with 8Gb RAM, i5 3570k, and a 7850 and it will still be a fine PC. The consoles won't be out until around Christmas anyway so maybe you could save a bit more to add to this by then? Good PC now, plus PS4/XBox/SteamBox later.
  • Moot_Point 23 Feb 2013 15:26:36 3,914 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    PC will always be the better long term investment, with a lot more BC games to choose from. The only BC the PS4 will have will be the cloud streaming that Sony allow (look at how Sony dealt with the PS2 BC on PS3. ie HD collections). Also, most of the games are a lot cheaper than console released games.

The decision is really yours.

Edited by Moot_Point at 15:27:14 23-02-2013

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• ehsanmazhar 23 Feb 2013 15:26:44 8 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Maca0716 yeah Maca is right, it's shame that pc is more powerful but filthy developers only seeks the highest return/low risk return for their investment yeah i will return the graphic card and not order the pc anymore its not worth it anymore no wonder why the prices for pc hardware fall considerably over few months
  • ehsanmazhar 23 Feb 2013 15:27:44 8 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @grey_matters might go down that path of downgrading
  • ehsanmazhar 23 Feb 2013 15:28:50 8 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Moot_Point yeah advantages and disadvantages but given that pc exclusives are becoming rarer means that most likely i will not be buying a gaming pc anymore
  • Fake_Blood 23 Feb 2013 15:31:51 4,068 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think the first thing that will keep you from playing the latest games will be video memory.
  • ehsanmazhar 23 Feb 2013 15:34:04 8 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Fake_Blood i suppose but not all of us have another 400pounds to spent to get gtx 680 in sli which i can but the costs would skyrocket so ps4 it is (unless prices drop considerably over next few months)
  • RedSparrows 23 Feb 2013 15:34:13 22,030 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yes, consoles get a lot of exclusives.

But PC gets a lot of games you won't even have heard of unless you're looking, and they can be fantastic. It's not just about Far Cry 3 et al.

Plus PC games are cheaper, normally.
  • Fake_Blood 23 Feb 2013 15:37:49 4,068 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ehsanmazhar wrote:
    @Fake_Blood i suppose but not all of us have another 400pounds to spent to get gtx 680 in sli which i can but the costs would skyrocket so ps4 it is (unless prices drop considerably over next few months)
    Actually, SLI doesn't double the VRAM, say you have two 2gb cards, the system still sees that as 2gb total.
    I just bought a gtx670 4gb and it was closer to 300.
  • ehsanmazhar 23 Feb 2013 15:37:58 8 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @RedSparrows yeah i suppose over time the costs would even out the higher investment now however i also have a older brother who likes console gaming so i think the best thing to do will be to buy a pc then save up more and EXTORT money from my brother. nothing like the Spanish acquisition in the household... but yh quite split really do i spend my money on the pc that i saved..do i go on a holiday or do i buy a ps4. uni work is piling up so perhaps as my mother noted that its not a good idea but i do try to work hard and play hard as such i try to
  • ehsanmazhar 23 Feb 2013 15:40:39 8 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Fake_Blood i suppose i could strech my budget to 350 for gpu so that would push costs to 890 ish far too much for a part time shelf stacker/student
  • quadfather 23 Feb 2013 15:46:42 11,827 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Yes, consoles get a lot of exclusives.

But PC gets a lot of games you won't even have heard of unless you're looking, and they can be fantastic. It's not just about Far Cry 3 et al.

Plus PC games are cheaper, normally.
    Definitely this

Edit - also, PC's are extremely versatile too. It's not just games. Take up photography, making music etc - all compliment a pc nicely. You're basically getting your cake and eating it

Edited by quadfather at 15:53:39 23-02-2013

• JayG 23 Feb 2013 15:54:08 833 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Also the PC has a lot of mods that can improve a lot of multiplatform games. GTA 4 has some amazing graphic mods, Skyrim is a lot better with user improvements and the Stalker games are always updated. Also has backwards compatability which is great for those old timers like me who like to play ancient games. And this year has a lot of PC Kickstarter exclusives that are looking pretty great like Wasteland 2.
  • SYS64738 23 Feb 2013 16:05:50 1,581 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Maca0716 wrote:
    I bought a gaming PC last year i5 3570k, 8GB RAM, GTX670, it was great at first but I gradually moved back to my consoles, most PC games are ports of console versions and don't take advantage of the PC power.

The exclusive great PC games are a dying breed and don't come out that often, in fact most of the awesome PC games last year were indie games.

Dayz is awesome but a mod i spent over 200 hours on it according to steam.

I would say no its not worth it from my experience, people will say that PC is and will be more powerful than the PS4 and they are right but that PC won't be able to play the great console games that will come out just for the PS4.
    I've been through a very similar situation years ago. While it was great to be on the leading edge technically (for a while at least), there weren't actually that many games that really took advantage of it. Ended up with a PS3 eventually due to a number of console/PS3 exclusives, and no need to tweak constantly and/or wait for driver updates etc. (had an awful time with GTA4 on my PC, it was quite frustrating). At least on console you'll know a game either runs well or it doesn't. For some people it's part of the fun which is fine I guess.

I think the biggest factor to consider though is what genres you prefer. Stuff like RTS's or proper Simulations you won't easily find on consoles, plus there are loads of older games to pick from, so there's definitely more variety on the PC.

On the other hand, you usually can't easily sell your games (unless you use ebay etc.), though that can be said for console games more now too given that many high street shops are disappearing or offering bad trade in deals.
  • Moot_Point 23 Feb 2013 16:05:53 3,914 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    ehsanmazhar wrote:
    @Moot_Point yeah advantages and disadvantages but given that pc exclusives are becoming rarer means that most likely i will not be buying a gaming pc anymore
    What? lol

There are plenty of PC exclusives out there worth playing. In fact one of my favorite ones (Don't Starve) I cannot find time to play as I have so many other games to play.

I doubt I will notice this next gen of consoles pass by, to be honest.

================================================================================

• JayG 23 Feb 2013 16:19:48 833 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It is a hard choice if your short of money. Bear in mind with a PC, you have endless Steam sales or other on line versions where you can get games very cheap. And multiplatform releases are often a lot cheaper. I've had the same PC for 2 and a half years, and games still run on close to the highest settings. Having said that the P4 does look great. It really depends on what you are after, with the PC it is very easy to have a great collection very cheaply with Steam. Consoles have the most expensive games.
  • Moot_Point 23 Feb 2013 16:27:06 3,914 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    DarkSpaceDS wrote:
    PC lol. its a fools game.

• Waffleaber 23 Feb 2013 16:35:53 374 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The PS4 announcement gave me a lot of hope for gaming PC's when the next gen consoles launch.

It's my hope that the closer console architecture gets to that of a PC the higher the quality/quantity of the ports. Add to that PC exclusives, indie games and a lower rrp on games and it's a no brainer for me.
  • graysonavich 23 Feb 2013 17:00:14 7,309 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I can link a cheap mid-range notebook you can buy tomorrow if you want something in-line with the PS4 release early next year?
  • JayG 23 Feb 2013 17:01:47 833 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you going to use the main page as a argument for anything, your insane. Don't buy a vita, main page says no games, too expensive. Don't buy a Playstation, multplatform games always best on XBox and Sony hate's Europe. Don't buy a 360, Kinect. Not the mention the totally insane fuckers who seem to post on each thread. Really is the worst of gaming.
  • monty2k 23 Feb 2013 17:15:43 241 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    A lot of the services in the Playstation 4 announcement haven't been confirmed for launch. Considering the PS3 dropped an HDMI port and 2 USB ports from it's announcement to the actual launch model I reckon it'd be a better idea to wait for the PS4 launch.

Not only would you be able to get firsthand experience of the console, you'd also be able to get a better PC for your money. Alternatively you may find the steambox, Nvidia shield or the next xbox more to your liking. Wait a few months, find out more and make an informed decision.
  • JayG 23 Feb 2013 17:30:09 833 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @PedigreeDogThief Actually, yes judging by my own personal experience which is all I can go by. The games I got last year, most of them had direct x 11, and top range graphics. No problems running them either, then I use either Mouse and Keyboard or Controller depending on the game. As it happens my main gaming platform has been the Vita.

Games I brought with improved graphics for the PC. Sleeping Dogs, Far Cry 3, Hitman, Dishonoured, Ass Creed 3, Skyrim. All worked fine for me. The reason I reckon so many games had these options been honest is preparation for next gen. PC does end up been cheaper, and it's far from the cheapest way to buy games now.
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous