How much extra would a BC version cost? Page 2

• Page

of 3 First / Last

• Ged42 22 Feb 2013 08:04:32 7,701 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I made a big thing of BC when the PS3 came out, but the only PS2 game I played was Final Fantasy XII for a week or two, then never used it again.

I've played PS1 games via PSN downloads (Resident Evils and Final Fantasy 7-9) more than i've used my wheezing 60GB PS3 BC abilities.

I hope they find a way of bringing games like Journey to the PS4 in some form, but I'll probably be too busy playing Thatgamecompany's new titles to bother playing it.
  • grey_matters 22 Feb 2013 08:06:20 3,676 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    what is this bloody obsession with back compatibility

if you buy a cd player you cant put a tape in it.

move on already!
    Well, it has been nice to able to play the same copy of Civ2 over 8 machines and many different operating systems down through the years (not tried Win8 yet). I've a feeling there will be more BC from this coming gen to the next.

Edited by grey_matters at 08:14:06 22-02-2013
  • Chopsen 22 Feb 2013 08:54:42 15,726 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The PC is different, as it's main *point* is compatibility (both backward and otherwise).

Having said that though, some games work better than others. Anything that used the old "direct audio out from CD to sound card" trick are now silent, and early directX games are a mixed bag wrt compatibility.
  • roz123 22 Feb 2013 09:02:54 7,112 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Nothing major will be lost, the PS3 only has a handful of classic games that are not available on the PC
  • elstoof 22 Feb 2013 09:14:48 6,626 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sid-Nice wrote:
    Nintendo spent a lot of time and money customising the Wii U hardware
    HAHAHAHAAHAAAHa
  • crispyduckman 22 Feb 2013 09:25:37 1,856 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hopefully, we'll eventually have ps3 emulation available on the pc. I'm not worried about playing emulated games myself on ps4, but it would be a shame for some games to be lost forever, never to be experienced again by future generations.

PSN/XBL/Steam/Origin: crispyduckman

• elstoof 22 Feb 2013 09:26:21 6,626 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    uneducated flaming of Sony's Cell BE technology since 2006 has worked. You've killed it.
    Actually no one "killed it" apart from Sony, Toshiba and IBM. The whole experiment turned out to be a massive waste of time and money, IBM no longer offer servers with the processor and I think Toshiba made 1 TV with it that no one bought. This was supposed to be a chip that powered everything from PS3's to servers to engine control units to your your toaster. What kind of moron thinks that one chip for all these jobs will be in any way efficient or powerful? I don't want to play games on my car satnav, and I don't want to control my smoke alarms with my games console. The whole foul jamboree was doomed to fail from the start, no matter how many times fanboys knocked one out over the MGS propaganda video at launch.

Edited by elstoof at 09:28:35 22-02-2013
  • Spunkweazle 22 Feb 2013 09:35:03 470 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    when the masses go down to Game with their old console and stack of games, so that they can get screwed over the trade-in value, and ripped off over the prices, its going to hurt a lot more knowing there is hundreds of pounds of worthless dlc on the hard drive

http://www.scottyslittlesoldiers.co.uk/
    dedicated to supporting the children of men and women killed while serving with the British Armed Forces.

• Deleted user 22 February 2013 10:02:50
    elstoof wrote:
    vizzini wrote:
    uneducated flaming of Sony's Cell BE technology since 2006 has worked. You've killed it.
    Actually no one "killed it" apart from Sony, Toshiba and IBM. The whole experiment turned out to be a massive waste of time and money, IBM no longer offer servers with the processor and I think Toshiba made 1 TV with it that no one bought. This was supposed to be a chip that powered everything from PS3's to servers to engine control units to your your toaster. What kind of moron thinks that one chip for all these jobs will be in any way efficient or powerful? I don't want to play games on my car satnav, and I don't want to control my smoke alarms with my games console. The whole foul jamboree was doomed to fail from the start, no matter how many times fanboys knocked one out over the MGS propaganda video at launch.
    No, you are still cherry picking quotes out of context from developers and flaming technology you don't understand. Go read the first 2 chapters of OpenCL programming guide, then “try” coming back to the discussion.
  • elstoof 22 Feb 2013 10:12:49 6,626 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Firstly I didn't quote anything, and secondly I didn't "flame" any technology and thirdly, you don't need to read even a single word of an OpenGL programming guide to know that no one wants to use the processors, not even the people who made it.
  • Flying_Pig 22 Feb 2013 10:20:58 10,696 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    BC seems to be one of those things which really matters until you have it. I shelled out extra for the 60GB BC PS3 at launch and only played a bit of Psychonauts and most of Beyond Good & Evil.

While BC in the PS4 would be a 'nice to have', I personally don't consider it to be essential and don't really understand how it can sway anyone from a Buy Day 1 position to one where they're not going to buy it at all...

Anyway, haven't Sony said that they're gonna implement BC via Gaikai? I guess the issue is whether you'll be able to play stuff you've already bought or will have to buy it all over again...?
  • Psychotext 22 Feb 2013 10:28:49 53,846 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Would have agreed last gen, but not this one. I have hundreds of games that I can't sell and about a third of them I'm yet to even play. All no BC means is that it'll be a long, long time before I buy a next gen console.

Oh, and the CD vs tape argument is horseshit. There's a tiny percentage of music that never made it onto CD after being on vinyl, tape, etc. How many games from the PS3 / 360 do you think will make it onto the PS4 / 720?

Edited by Psychotext at 10:31:46 22-02-2013
  • Mr-Brett 22 Feb 2013 10:30:42 12,723 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @vizzini Give up already the war is over, you lost.

Portable view - Never forget.

• nickthegun 22 Feb 2013 10:32:16 58,805 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The previous gens were reasonably short so it didnt matter. This gen was not and it kind of does but, as annoying as it is, its not like sony are going to stop making or supporting the PS3 for years to come, so people will be able keep one under the TV and chill the fuck out.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Whizzo 22 Feb 2013 10:32:25 43,036 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Digital downloads is the big game changer for BC, cloud gaming is no substitute either, imagine trying to play something like Geo Wars 2 (a game I still regularly fire up) over the internet?

This space left intentionally blank.

• Whizzo 22 Feb 2013 10:35:45 43,036 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think I'll probably still be playing GTA V by the time any new console turns up.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Fake_Blood 22 Feb 2013 10:38:11 4,074 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Hey vizini, when are you going to tell us wtf you do irl? I've asked you like 3 times since you washed ashore here but you always ignore the question.

I mean, if you're reading opencl technical documentation you'd better get paid for it.
  • Psychotext 22 Feb 2013 10:42:01 53,846 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm starting to think the difference is those who have basically played every game that they own to death and those of us with large backlogs. I can certainly understand why the multiplayer obsessed don't care about BC.
  • PenguinJim 22 Feb 2013 10:47:12 5,758 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    Digital downloads is the big game changer for BC, cloud gaming is no substitute either, imagine trying to play something like Geo Wars 2 (a game I still regularly fire up) over the internet?
    Digital downloads are going to change everything. So long, analogue downloads! You are shit! We hate you! We only like digital downloads now!
  • Deleted user 22 February 2013 10:48:37
    elstoof wrote:
    Firstly I didn't quote anything, and secondly I didn't "flame" any technology and thirdly, you don't need to read even a single word of an OpenGL programming guide to know that no one wants to use the processors, not even the people who made it.
    @elstoof

Read the word again. Open CL, not Open GL. If you don't understand the difference, then you are way out of your depth already and your negative opinion of the Cell BE technology is moot to begin with.
  • elstoof 22 Feb 2013 11:01:44 6,626 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Would GL or CL make any of the points made, which you've stuck your head in the sand over, any different? I don't understand why you think there's any "depth" that I or anyone else is "way out of" when it comes to spotting a failed technology. It may well be wonderful at what it does but you're the only person who knows what it does apparently, because - and I can't emphasise this enough - no one wants it.

If it was some sort of wonder chip then it would be everywhere. Where is it though? I don't see it? Cell is basically the Betamax if this era, wether you like it or not. And I don't hate on Sony, or the Cell or whatever you imagine I'm doing, it's just simple facts. Do yourself a favour and wake up to them.
  • THFourteen 22 Feb 2013 11:06:26 32,868 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    anthonypappa wrote:
    last thing i want to do after laying down 400 sheets is play the same games i've been playing for the past 7 years.

fuck BC.
    A good, reasonable post. :-)
  • DodgyPast 22 Feb 2013 14:25:43 8,415 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    The previous gens were reasonably short so it didnt matter. This gen was not and it kind of does but, as annoying as it is, its not like sony are going to stop making or supporting the PS3 for years to come, so people will be able keep one under the TV and chill the fuck out.
    This is the silver lining for me.

For me it's stuff like the Street Fighter games, some of the pixel junk and that game company which I'll still be enjoying dipping in and out of.

It's another reason to keep my PC as my main platform.
  • pinebear 22 Feb 2013 14:45:45 8,565 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Jazzy_Geoff wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:
    I really don't understand why backwards compatibility has become such an issue. If you want to play PS3 games, buy a PS3. Or keep the one you already have. I don't remember people getting upset that their N64 couldn't play SNES games. This is one gaming issue that I just do not get at all.
    Because I don't have room under the telly for both and I dislike having extra shite knocking around the gaff
    Then buy a bigger house man! Don't start counting the cost - this is BC we're talking about here.

• Moot_Point 22 Feb 2013 18:26:32 3,917 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Hey OP, don't frown! here is a BC prototype...>

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• oceanmotion 22 Feb 2013 18:29:56 15,662 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I wonder what they will call remakes. Real HD or something.
  • Moot_Point 22 Feb 2013 18:31:38 3,917 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    HD Extreme!

Edited by Moot_Point at 18:38:21 22-02-2013

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• Feanor 22 Feb 2013 19:40:05 14,058 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    I'm starting to think the difference is those who have basically played every game that they own to death and those of us with large backlogs. I can certainly understand why the multiplayer obsessed don't care about BC.
    I hardly play any multiplayer games. I just don't buy more games than I have time to play.
  • Aretak 22 Feb 2013 19:56:20 10,345 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I owned a backward compatible PS3 for over two years (before the YLoD struck it down), and I can remember playing precisely one PS2 game on it, which was Final Fantasy XII. I don't know, to me it seems silly to buy a shiny new console and spend most of your time playing old games on it. You'd be better off just not buying said shiny new console at all until you'd finished everything you wanted to play from the old one.
  • Page

of 3 First / Last