1UP, UGO and Gamespy being shut down. IGN hit with layoffs.

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 21 Feb 2013 20:06:31 37,905 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    http://www.polygon.com/2013/2/21/4014196/ign-layoffs-1up-ugo-and-gamespy-shutting-down

IGN has laid off an unspecified number of editorial employees today, Polygon has learned, and plans to shutter sites 1up.com, GameSpy.com and UGO.com.

According to an internal memo from Ziff Davis CEO Vivek Shah, "Our goal is to do fewer things and to do them exceptionally well. In that vein, we want to direct all of our energy and work behind our two flagship brands: IGN and AskMen."

Shah writes that Ziff Davis, which recently acquired the IGN network of websites, will be "winding down" 1UP, UGO and GameSpy. UGO editor-in-chief Chris Radtke wrote in a goodbye letter to readers, "UGO is dead." While editorial staffers for some of the IGN-owned shuttered sites have been laid off, sources tell Polygon that some personell will be rolled into IGN.com's editorial team.

The company is also looking for a buyer of IPL, IGN's eSports network. Rather than coordinate and publicize its own IGN Pro League, "IGN's role going forward will be to broadcast and cover a variety of eSports events."

Shah's memo can be read below.

Today, we took some difficult but important actions that will ensure the continued growth and health of IGN and AskMen. Before I go into more details about the changes, you should know that they resulted in the elimination of jobs at IGN. It's always upsetting to say goodbye to colleagues and let's do what we can to help these employees as they seek new opportunities.

It's also important for you to know that we are absolutely confident that we now have the best structure and team to successfully move the company forward and that there are no further planned reductions.

The changes we made today are designed to allow us to Simplify and Focus. Our goal is to do fewer things and to do them exceptionally well. In that vein, we want to direct all of our energy and work behind our two flagship brands: IGN and AskMen. They are both category killers and share a vision of a multi-screen (PCs, tablets, smartphones, TV) and multi-format (text, photos and video) world.

As a result of our decision to focus on our core brands, we are:
    · Winding down 1UP.com, UGO.com and GameSpy.com;
    · No longer ad repping 3rd party sites such as GameStop.com and FamilyGuy.com;
    · Actively engaged with parties interested in acquiring IPL. IGN's role going forward will be to broadcast and cover a variety of eSports events;
    · Dividing our ad sales team into two: one focused on IGN and the other focused on AskMen.

On the IGN front, Peer Schneider will continue to oversee all of editorial and product, focusing those resources exclusively on IGN. The foundation of this entire company is its content and we will continue to have the best people in the industry producing it.

Charlie Barrett will oversee the monetization of IGN everywhere in the U.S. - PCs, tablets, smartphones, YouTube, consoles - and now be able to concentrate the sales and ad ops teams' efforts where they can make the most impact.

Frank Puma will assume an exciting new role as executive director of programs and solutions, reporting to Charlie. The sales development, design and creative teams will report to Frank, whose charge is to deliver world-class advertising experiences.

A new head of engineering and technology for IGN will be recruited as quickly as possible. Tech has a monumental role to play in the growth of IGN and will be committed to working hand-in-glove with edit, product and sales.

On the AskMen front, Ric Poupada will continue to oversee all aspects of the AskMen organization and is excited to have a new VP of sales, Paul Chenier, reporting to him. Paul has been a longtime advocate of the AskMen brand and is one of the most talented sales executives in our organization. Having him build a dedicated AskMen ad sales team will do wonders for the business.

Ian Chambers will continue to run International out of the UK for both IGN and AskMen and we're thrilled with the performance of our businesses overseas.

Mike Etheridge will be the VP of finance and operations for IGN and AskMen, working across all of the departments to ensure that we're growing our business, expanding our margins and making metric-based decisions.

Rachelle Igoe will be the head of human resources for IGN and AskMen, ensuring that we continue to nurture, attract and retain the best talent in the industry.

I'm sure that there will be a number of questions in the days and weeks ahead but please know that we will be a better functioning and nimbler organization from this moment forward.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• jellyhead 21 Feb 2013 20:21:07 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Heard about UGO but didn't know that 1up and gamespy were included.
    Sad to see them go. Good luck to all involved.

On a related note. Who the hell are the AskMen? Strange that they are a brand they're keeping but i've never heard of them. Nothing gaming related then?

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Feanor 21 Feb 2013 20:22:42 14,154 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Find some men and ask them.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 21 Feb 2013 20:22:50 37,905 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just another men's lifestyle website (and magazine?) Nothing interesting.

• RedSparrows 21 Feb 2013 20:23:36 22,351 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    MEN LIKE GURLS
  • ronuds 21 Feb 2013 20:23:58 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    AskMen does a "top 99 women" feature every year, which I think is what's made them most popular.
  • Deleted user 21 February 2013 20:24:00
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    shutter
    Gnnngh.

At least they didn't say "sunsetted" I suppose.
  • Ror1984 21 Feb 2013 20:28:24 3,118 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'd happily lose IGN over 1up - I've been reading The Grind for ages :( Hopefully all those affected land on their feet.

FFXIV: ARR - Khroma Midgard, Odin.

• nickthegun 21 Feb 2013 20:34:02 59,537 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hasnt 1up been in a perpetual state of closure for years now?

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Razz 21 Feb 2013 21:11:07 61,113 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah most of the community moved to neoGAF, only the diehards remain. Had some good times there over the years, but it's nice to finally get closure. Heh.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• caligari 21 Feb 2013 21:12:18 17,024 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I give this sad news a 9.7 out of 10.
  • jellyhead 21 Feb 2013 21:16:47 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hey
    I don't wanna go to work today
    Wanna stay home and play all my video games

No
    I don't wanna take it nice and slow
    Wanna get ready to go
    On the one up show

On the one up show
    You know you'll be a star
    On the one up show You already are
    Everyday is like a holiday

So long, good bye
    Im gonna run away right now

Game on
    All night
    I'm gonna be on the one up show

On the one up show
    One up, one up, one up...
    On the one up show
    On the one up show
    On the one up show

This signature intentionally left blank.

• senso-ji 21 Feb 2013 21:31:33 5,860 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm not surprised that 1up and Gamespy are going - they are both very similar to IGN in design and content. I can imagine that the users, and subsequently, advertisers will invest their time into just one of those sites.

UGO is surprising because Game of Thrones, Star Wars, Marvel films and other fantasy/sci-fi/comic book franchises are on the rise.
  • Jazzy_Geoff 21 Feb 2013 22:36:49 7,767 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    big who cares
  • Gruff 21 Feb 2013 22:54:39 2,855 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    1up in it's pomp was awesome, some great content and reviews.

It was just a shadow of its former self, shame it was put out to pasture.
    Thankfully the old crew have moved onto better things and are involved in some of the best gaming podcasts around.

IGN can shove it.....

“It's not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it's not possible to find it elsewhere.”
    ― Agnes Repplier

• Zomoniac 21 Feb 2013 23:05:24 7,827 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I honestly thought 1up had closed a few years ago. Sure I heard that somewhere. How odd.
  • Dirtbox 21 Feb 2013 23:22:59 77,769 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Never even heard of UGO and haven't visited Gamespy for about 10 years. And it still looks exactly the same.

Meh.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• ecureuil 21 Feb 2013 23:54:22 76,738 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    I honestly thought 1up had closed a few years ago. Sure I heard that somewhere. How odd.
    It was the website for EGM, EGM was sold to UGO and the magazine shut down, lots of people got laid off including 1up.com staff. It was pretty big news at the time, so that's probably what you're thinking of.
  • rivuzu 22 Feb 2013 09:27:21 1,634 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    In other news, Lord Bramwell sits utop the dark and stormy EG Towers in his throne of 8's, chortling as the grand scheme comes together.

Tomorrows news: EG rebrands to WorldGamer? :o
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 22 Feb 2013 09:39:08 37,905 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    EG > IGN. Everyone knows that.

Mind you, being kicked in the upper lip > IGN.

• Deleted user 22 February 2013 09:50:59
    IGN=Being kicked in the lower lip.
  • graysonavich 22 Feb 2013 09:51:52 7,321 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    For a while their podcast was second to none. Until Luke Smith left to go to Halo stuff :(
  • sanctusmortis 22 Feb 2013 10:05:39 9,628 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @rivuzu Not quite; USGamer is on the way, though. Julian Rignall posted jobs for it on hearing this news, in fact.

Irony is, 1Up and Gamespy probably have a better rep than IGN.
  • Mola_Ram 22 Feb 2013 10:28:34 7,266 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Sad about all of those except IGN
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next