of 11 First / Last

Next
  • Moot_Point 21 Feb 2013 22:06:37 4,624 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Jazzy_Geoff wrote:
    he was latvian
    Are you sure?

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• 4gate 21 Feb 2013 22:24:37 362 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    crispyduckman wrote:
    I went to Manchester for business and my client there put ice in his lager. Blew my fucking mind.
    Only way to get really, really cold lager without returning it to the fridge.

I welcome all immigration, and may it continue until we help them reach our standard of living, or we hit theirs, I couldn't give a fuck either way, the West has grown rich (to a certain extent) by visting and ripping off the rest of the world, and now we say 'fuck off this is ours'. Aliens flying past would take one look and label the US and Western Europe as a bunch of sociopathically greedy fuckwits who need putting up against a wall.

Which country has put soldiers in more foreign countries than any other? /waves Union Jack. I'd come here and get a job as a waiter and wank in the soup if I wasn't already from here.
  • Jazzy_Geoff 21 Feb 2013 22:28:20 7,782 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    Jazzy_Geoff wrote:
    he was latvian
    Are you sure?
    obviously not
  • Jazzy_Geoff 21 Feb 2013 22:31:10 7,782 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    4gate wrote:
    Aliens flying past would take one look and label the US and Western Europe as a bunch of sociopathically greedy fuckwits who need putting up against a wall.

irony
  • deem 21 Feb 2013 23:53:14 31,641 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    simsini wrote:
    Children in London schools are suffering because they are having to cater for so many different languages.
    What the fucking hell are you talking about? What statistics or reports is this statement based on?
  • Jazzy_Geoff 22 Feb 2013 00:06:58 7,782 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well as someone whose wife is a primary school teacher in a London primary school there is some truth to this. A hell of a lot of resources go into taking care of the kids who don't speak the language, which is money and time that obviously isn't being spent on the kids that do.

I think the reason for the white flight is simple. People who can afford to bring up families in London, especially inner London, fall into two groups.

A) the poor, who are on housing benefit. Disproportionately not white British
    B) the rich, who can do what they want. Also disproportionately not white British.

The middle class who don't qualify for benefits but also can't afford the best part of a million quid for a family home are getting pushed out into commuter land and beyond. Perhaps the reforms to housing benefit will see them trade places with the inner city poor. If I'm honest, I hope that's the case.
  • deem 22 Feb 2013 00:16:46 31,641 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well that goes against my experience, and my London based friends and their children's experiences. My son is 6 and goes to school at one of the most ethnically and culturally diverse state schools in London. He's one of around 4 kids in a class of 30 for whom English is a first language.

I'm a single parent, work full time and as a result, don't get an awful lot of time to teach him or help him learn. I have to mainly rely on his schooling. He's not top of the class, and neither is he bottom. A lot of my friends live outside London, in very white, middle class areas that are almost exclusively English speaking and I can safely say he is at almost exactly the same stage if not slightly more advanced than their kids of the same age at both reading and writing. And more importantly, he's fucking happy and absolutely loves his school.

I'm sure it's very difficult for the schools and the teachers, but I certainly don't get the impression that either him or his classmates are suffering.
  • Jazzy_Geoff 22 Feb 2013 00:46:12 7,782 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah I'm not really saying that the standard of teaching is worse, just that resources are focused differently. The London schools probably have more resources to start with though. I wouldn't so sure about your "most ethnically diverse" stat - they are all like that. Some good, some awful.
  • Page

of 11 First / Last

Next