Why have the white British left London? Page 9

• Page

of 11 First / Last

• RedSparrows 21 Feb 2013 16:21:57 22,069 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    crispyduckman wrote:
    sweatyBallacks wrote:
    @crispyduckman You gotta get away. Any self-respecting, cultured man would have plans to get away from the country as soon as possible. For a start, I can earn a lot more in Brazil teaching English. Also, what's ludicrous is the cost of owning your own home. What's the average mortgage deposit now in London? 40,000?? Fucking insane and insulting.

You'd have to be a millionaire to buy a decent home and provide for two kids living in London, seriously.
    Nah, I'm one of those left wing liberals who takes massive advantage of the right wing capitalist ways of this country.
    What on earth does a 'cultured man' have to gain by leaving Britain? Srsly.
  • RedSparrows 21 Feb 2013 16:23:07 22,069 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    simsini wrote:

The UK has allowed almost unchecked immigration in recent times and it is too much too fast. Nobdoy has been given time to gel with each other and this is good for nobody regardless of your race, religion or culture.
    Have you been to a port of any kind recently?

You've won. Now shut up and reap the rewards of your anti-immigration ideal.
    Recent developments aside, this idea of 'unchecked immigration' is intriguing.

There has been a lot of migration. Immigration has been prominent in people's minds, due to the changes simsini refers to.

But was it actually 'unchecked'? If not, why are we saying it is? If so, how would 'unchecked' immigration work?
  • elstoof 21 Feb 2013 16:26:05 6,631 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Who are these "self respecting, cultured" men whose best available career options are teaching English in developing countries?
  • crispyduckman 21 Feb 2013 16:31:13 1,856 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    simsini wrote:

The UK has allowed almost unchecked immigration in recent times and it is too much too fast. Nobdoy has been given time to gel with each other and this is good for nobody regardless of your race, religion or culture.
    Have you been to a port of any kind recently?

You've won. Now shut up and reap the rewards of your anti-immigration ideal.
    Recent developments aside, this idea of 'unchecked immigration' is intriguing.

There has been a lot of migration. Immigration has been prominent in people's minds, due to the changes simsini refers to.

But was it actually 'unchecked'? If not, why are we saying it is? If so, how would 'unchecked' immigration work?
    I'm pretty sure it's nearly impossible to move to the UK legally unless you're an EU citizen already or your life is under serious threat.

PSN/XBL/Steam/Origin: crispyduckman

• simsini 21 Feb 2013 16:34:11 312 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @RedSparrows Perhaps unchecked was the wrong word, but I would mainly say unlimited numbers from within the EU and the government not knowing how many illegal immigrants are in the country.

It will only get worse next year when Bulgarian and Romanian citizens come here in huge numbers.

Edited by simsini at 16:37:05 21-02-2013
  • mcmonkeyplc 21 Feb 2013 16:54:30 39,387 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's called a single market. Deal with it.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• FWB 21 Feb 2013 16:54:37 43,852 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Given London is almost 20 percent of the population of England, I would say it is a fair chunk of it.

I know a guy who claimed the same thing about the capital. That it didn't represent him cos of all the diversity. What does he go and do? Marry a Japanese lass.

I am also not quite sure how the pace of change, quick or slow, is an issue. What difference does it make? Who cares? The only thing I will say, and I say it as a English teacher to adults, is that the government goes too far to cater for different languages. Private sector? Sure. Do what you want. But the government should not be providing translators nor translating so many documents. It is on your head to learn the language if you want to engage with it. And it ISN'T expensive or difficult. It just requires you being arsed. And I KNOW there are number (not a mass, granted) that can't be bothered but expect to be catered for. I deal with them.

Edited by FWB at 16:57:01 21-02-2013
  • simsini 21 Feb 2013 17:01:22 312 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @mcmonkeyplc I will when I get my vote in the referendum coming up.
  • LeoliansBro 21 Feb 2013 17:02:52 43,236 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So, you're going to vote to leave Europe because you don't like foreigners coming over here with their strange smelling food and their odd voices taking your jobs and living in your London?

How delightfully old fashioned.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• crispyduckman 21 Feb 2013 17:04:02 1,856 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    I know a guy who claimed the same thing about the capital. That it didn't represent him cos of all the diversity. What does he go and do? Marry a Japanese lass.
    Hey, if you can't beat em...

Edited by crispyduckman at 17:04:18 21-02-2013

• crispyduckman 21 Feb 2013 17:05:36 1,856 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    So, you're going to vote to leave Europe because you don't like foreigners coming over here with their strange smelling food and their odd voices taking your jobs and living in your London?

How delightfully old fashioned.
    Lmfao

• Dangerous_Dan 21 Feb 2013 17:06:43 2,380 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @simsini You are witnessing the decline of (western) civilization. Immigration and things like that are just one small part of a much bigger development. Don't try to argue. Lean into the wave and use it.
  • FWB 21 Feb 2013 17:07:02 43,852 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    We will have to recall all those Brits living in the EU. Granted, not as many there as EU citizens here, but they'll have to come back and find jobs. And I can't see them being waiters or cleaning staff.

Fucking ex-pats coming back stealing our women and jobs.
  • Moot_Point 21 Feb 2013 17:07:22 3,917 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    crispyduckman wrote:
    FWB wrote:
    Fuck their wimmin!

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• FWB 21 Feb 2013 17:09:51 43,852 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    crispyduckman wrote:
    FWB wrote:
    He still slags us off for our mix here.

But then people will never cease to amaze me. Met one Balkan who had just got his passport and started telling me in his thick accent how we needed to close the borders, how all of this diversity was not he real England. How he real England was out in the countryside. Immigrants can be just as racist as the natives, particularly as they see other immigrants as economic threats.
  • LeoliansBro 21 Feb 2013 17:11:11 43,236 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think I'm spoiled by living in London. I see racial tolerance and diversity as pretty much how things are, but obviously the rest of the country is a little different here and there.

• Moot_Point 21 Feb 2013 17:13:33 3,917 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    crispyduckman wrote:
    FWB wrote:
    He still slags us off for our mix here.

But then people will never cease to amaze me. Met one Balkan who had just got his passport and started telling me in his thick accent how we needed to close the borders, how all of this diversity was not he real England. How he real England was out in the countryside. Immigrants can be just as racist as the natives, particularly as they see other immigrants as economic threats.
    Like I said earlier:
    Lets face it, all creeds are racist. Multiculturalism is another 'ism' born to fail.

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• FWB 21 Feb 2013 17:15:26 43,852 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Err... No. While the first is true, although I would add the modal "can", the latter isn't.

Agree, Leo. Variety is the spice of life, and I love sampling so many cultures.

Edited by FWB at 17:16:12 21-02-2013
  • crispyduckman 21 Feb 2013 17:16:00 1,856 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I like to know I could go over to Eastern Europe at any time and live like a king in a palace surrounded by a harem of beautiful women. Just keeping it in mind as an escape plan of sorts.

Edited by crispyduckman at 17:19:12 21-02-2013

• elstoof 21 Feb 2013 17:22:20 6,631 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Show me a place that isn't multicultural, where every resident was born there and no one is an "outsider", and I'll show you a place that's so fucking backwards and devoid of any reason for its existence that no one from another place would be stupid enough to even entertain any ideas to ever visit it.
  • Deleted user 21 February 2013 17:23:01
    elstoof wrote:
    Show me a place that isn't multicultural, where every resident was born there and no one is an "outsider", and I'll show you a place that's so fucking backwards and devoid of any reason for its existence that no one from another place would be stupid enough to even entertain any ideas to ever visit it.
  • LeoliansBro 21 Feb 2013 17:23:15 43,236 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oldham.

• Jeepers 21 Feb 2013 17:25:20 13,173 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anywhere North of Birmingham.
  • Jeepers 21 Feb 2013 17:25:39 13,173 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I assume there *is* something north of Birmingham?
  • LeoliansBro 21 Feb 2013 17:26:07 43,236 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Chaos wastes. And Durham, like a bastion of poshness.

• FWB 21 Feb 2013 17:26:44 43,852 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    How do you access north of the M25. Thought the roads stopped. They got fire up there?
  • crispyduckman 21 Feb 2013 17:31:47 1,856 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Jeepers wrote:
    I assume there *is* something north of Birmingham?
    You've played Fallout right?

• simsini 21 Feb 2013 18:17:21 312 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @LeoliansBro Putting words into people's mouths now eh?
  • RedSparrows 21 Feb 2013 18:57:57 22,069 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    @simsini You are witnessing the decline of (western) civilization. Immigration and things like that are just one small part of a much bigger development. Don't try to argue. Lean into the wave and use it.
    What absolute tosh.
  • RedSparrows 21 Feb 2013 19:00:06 22,069 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    simsini wrote:
    @RedSparrows Perhaps unchecked was the wrong word, but I would mainly say unlimited numbers from within the EU and the government not knowing how many illegal immigrants are in the country.

It will only get worse next year when Bulgarian and Romanian citizens come here in huge numbers.
    I don't mean any offence, but you really do sound like you are speaking without knowing quite what you're referring to.

I don't necessarily have an issue with you disliking immigration. My annoyance more comes from these kinds of blanket statements. It also ignores emigration (of anyone, including immigrants) and logical things like illegal immigrant count: how can you know exactly when they are here illegally? The terms of discussion are so warped and vague as to be purely emotive, and that never helps - even though the emotion is also important.

Edited by RedSparrows at 19:02:34 21-02-2013
  • Page

of 11 First / Last