Gamers needed for survey! Prize draw and instant feedback.

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • EmilyC 20 Feb 2013 11:36:00 5 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Hi everyone! I hope you don't mind me posting this, the mods said it'd be OK.

Iím a researcher at University College London (UCL) and Iím currently running a study looking at work stress and how people recover from work, investigating whether factors like playing video games and having online and offline social support help with this. Iím really keen to recruit gamers so itíd be great if anyone from this forum would be interested in taking part.

It only takes 15-20 minutes and youíll receive instant feedback on things like whether you have high work strain, whether youíre successfully recovering from work and whether youíre work life is influencing your home life. Plus, youíll be entered into a prize draw for one of six £50 Amazon vouchers (or equivalent, if youíre not in the UK) and youíll be doing your bit to help understand post-work recovery and the possible positive applications of video games!

The only requirement is that you work at least 3 days/shifts per week and are over 18. Please feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions or comments (my e-mail address is on the first page of the survey).

This is not a commercial survey and is being conducted as part of a larger research project hoping to develop tools to help people recover from physically or mentally demanding jobs.

Hereís the link:
    https://uclpsych.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_2nMbPpGorN24ogB

Thanks in advance for your help!

Emily
  • neilka 20 Feb 2013 11:37:48 15,623 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    hello emily
  • Trafford 20 Feb 2013 11:43:32 5,609 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sounds interesting, I will partake.
  • EmilyC 20 Feb 2013 11:48:18 5 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Hello! Great, thanks for taking part :) Let me know if you have any feedback on the survey!
  • joeymoto108 20 Feb 2013 12:09:48 628 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Is this now called surveygamer then?

'Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?'

• SClaw 20 Feb 2013 12:16:00 826 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Feedback; grey text on a white background is fucking hard to read for my old eyes.
  • SClaw 20 Feb 2013 12:25:32 826 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I enjoyed that survey but I know my data will be discarded as an aberration, because I'm a super happy freak who can switch stress off simply by exiting the room. I completely forget about work the second I leave the building and don't think about it again until I walk back in. On the other hand, I apparently trust no one with anything, like some twitchy coke fiend hobo with a sharpened spoon handle shiv.

Iíve learned something from this survey; being a paranoid loner is the least stressful, most relaxing existence you could wish for.

You scored 25 out of 25 for psychological detachment.
    Yes. Result. Ever.

Edited by SClaw at 12:38:08 20-02-2013
  • quadfather 20 Feb 2013 12:30:59 11,808 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @SClaw - Bizarre, I'm the same

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• speedofthepuma 20 Feb 2013 12:31:03 13,266 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Done, hope it helps.

My results:

An alternative way of measuring this is to look at the kinds of demands your job makes on you and how much decision making responsibility you have - if the demands are higher and the decision making ability lower than the national average, this indicates a high level of work strain. The reverse pattern inidicates low work strain. As this is a separate measure, it may not correspond to your score on the Effort-Reward Imbalance Questionnaire. You scored out of 48 on the 'demands' scale (the national average is 30.26) and out of 96 on decision making (the national average is 70.20).

In addition to this, you scored 6 out of 44 on the "Need for Recovery Scale", which measures how much you need to recuperate from work-related fatigue. The average score is 27.30 and the higher the score, the more you need to recover. If it's too high, you could be at risk of health problems so if that's the case, it's important to find ways to recover more effectively.

You scored 64 out of 80 on the "Recovery Experience Questionnaire" which measures how you recover from work. To recover from work successfully, you need to meet four criteria, which are psychological detachment, relaxation, a sense of mastery and a sense of control. You scored 21 out of 25 for psychological detachment, 12 out of 15 for relaxation, 14 out of 20 for mastery and 17 out of 20 for control. If you have a high score on the Need for Recovery Scale (the scale described in the previous paragraph), and are particularly low in one or more of these areas, this may be what you need to concentrate on to improve your recovery experience. Follow this link to see how you can increase the amount of psychological detachment, relaxation, a sense of mastery and a sense of control in your spare time.

You also completed measures on work-home and home-work interference. This is when stresses or experiences from one domain transfer to the other, and this can be positive (for example, being organised at work could make you more organised at home) or negative (for example sources of stress at home make you more stressed at work). You scored 18 out of 24 on negative work home interference, 4 out of 12 on negative home work interference, 12 out of 15 on positive work-home interference and 8 out of 15 on positive home-work interference. Improving your recovery can help reduce negative interference, as can reducing the amount of work you do at home in the evenings or overtime.

I've turned off all the avatars and crap, so don't expect me to be impressed by yours.

• DaM 20 Feb 2013 12:31:47 12,884 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bit long Emily...finished all the work questions, then got a barrage of questions on which sub-genres I play, and how long for...some of us have got work to do!
  • Zomoniac 20 Feb 2013 12:38:36 7,785 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Definitely a bit long, and a few of the questions felt a bit redundant (ie asked the exact same question as the previous one with a slight alteration of wording, almost as if trying to catch people out). But it was easy enough. It highlighted what I already knew; my job in and of itself isn't particularly stressful, but I get easily stressed at it because everyone I work with is retarded.
  • SClaw 20 Feb 2013 12:40:49 826 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @quadfather HmmÖ hmmÖ based on this research, my expert opinion is that other people fucking suck. I knew this already Ė anecdotally Ė but itís nice to have hard data to back it up.
  • EmilyC 20 Feb 2013 13:02:05 5 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'll try to cut down on the questions a bit next time. I wanted to get as much information on what people play, as a lot of the previous research has just spoken about "gamers" vs "non-gamers", as if people paying 10 hours a week of COD are going to have the same kind of experience as those playing 10 hours of Angry Birds, but it's possible I over-did it a bit with the details!

Thanks loads for taking part, hope it was at least a bit useful :)
  • DaM 20 Feb 2013 13:12:53 12,884 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I missed out the whole game bit, sorry!
  • Ultrasoundwave 20 Feb 2013 13:16:58 3,264 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Done!

Bottom line is i can have a stressful day in work and get quite wound up, go home and game for an hour and then i'm back to normal.

Or, as the Daily Mail would put it :

"Bottom line is i can have a stressful day in work and get quite wound up, go home and game for an hour and then go out and kill people"

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• ZuluHero 20 Feb 2013 13:20:17 4,011 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Summary of your results

Your results indicated that you have a low level of work strain. This was calculated by assessing how demanding aspects of your work environment are versus how much reward you receive for it (as measured by the Effort-Reward Imbalance Questionnaire). For this measure, you're seen as having a high amount of work strain if the ratio is equal to or above 1, and a low amount of work strain if the ratio is below 1. Your ratio was . This reflects how much the demands of your job are proportionate to the rewards you receive. If work is too demanding, this can lead to stress-related health problems.

An alternative way of measuring this is to look at the kinds of demands your job makes on you and how much decision making responsibility you have - if the demands are higher and the decision making ability lower than the national average, this indicates a high level of work strain. The reverse pattern inidicates low work strain. As this is a separate measure, it may not correspond to your score on the Effort-Reward Imbalance Questionnaire. You scored out of 48 on the 'demands' scale (the national average is 30.26) and out of 96 on decision making (the national average is 70.20).

In addition to this, you scored 0 out of 44 on the "Need for Recovery Scale", which measures how much you need to recuperate from work-related fatigue. The average score is 27.30 and the higher the score, the more you need to recover. If it's too high, you could be at risk of health problems so if that's the case, it's important to find ways to recover more effectively.

You scored 66 out of 80 on the "Recovery Experience Questionnaire" which measures how you recover from work. To recover from work successfully, you need to meet four criteria, which are psychological detachment, relaxation, a sense of mastery and a sense of control. You scored 23 out of 25 for psychological detachment, 13 out of 15 for relaxation, 16 out of 20 for mastery and 14 out of 20 for control. If you have a high score on the Need for Recovery Scale (the scale described in the previous paragraph), and are particularly low in one or more of these areas, this may be what you need to concentrate on to improve your recovery experience. Follow this link to see how you can increase the amount of psychological detachment, relaxation, a sense of mastery and a sense of control in your spare time.

You also completed measures on work-home and home-work interference. This is when stresses or experiences from one domain transfer to the other, and this can be positive (for example, being organised at work could make you more organised at home) or negative (for example sources of stress at home make you more stressed at work). You scored 11 out of 24 on negative work home interference, 7 out of 12 on negative home work interference, 5 out of 15 on positive work-home interference and 5 out of 15 on positive home-work interference. Improving your recovery can help reduce negative interference, as can reducing the amount of work you do at home in the evenings or overtime.

Want more information?
    All done. You didn't seem to have an entry for Games Industry and related jobs in the section asking you what your job is, which is a tad ironic given the survey's subject matter. Anyway I lumped myself under software development and multimedia, like I always do!

It was a bit long too, as other's have said, but I hope its of some use to your research :)
  • Deleted user 20 February 2013 13:20:30
    neilka wrote:
    hello emily
    You're such a tart.
  • drhcnip 20 Feb 2013 13:23:39 2,432 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    done
  • EmilyC 20 Feb 2013 13:23:46 5 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:

Bottom line is i can have a stressful day in work and get quite wound up, go home and game for an hour and then i'm back to normal.

Ah, that's really interesting - that's pretty much what I was thinking would happen! Would be good to see if that's the case for a lot of other people too. Thanks for taking part :)
  • EmilyC 20 Feb 2013 13:26:58 5 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    ZuluHero wrote:

All done. You didn't seem to have an entry for Games Industry and related jobs in the section asking you what your job is, which is a tad ironic given the survey's subject matter.

It was a bit long too, as other's have said, but I hope its of some use to your research :)
    Ah sorry about that - there's also not an entry for my job either weirdly enough! It was a standard occupation break-down that seems to miss out a lot but also include some weird jobs and categorisations (for example, sex workers are apparently in the "entertainment industry"!). It was the best I could find though so I'm hoping it covers most jobs (or people can at least give more details in the textbox).

I'll definitely cut the number of questions down for next time! Thanks loads, you've all been massively helpful!
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next