Shoulder Subluxation (ouch!)

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • woodnotes 19 Feb 2013 17:55:04 4,922 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hey peeps, intrigued to know if any of you are unfortunate enough to have recurring shoulder subluxation? And if so, what treatment/exercises you may have found to help?

For those who don't know, shoulder subluxation is a partial dislocation of the shoulder, which lasts around 10-60 seconds before popping itself back in. It's the most painful experience imagineable. It first happened when I was in a car accident a couple of years ago, but since then it just randomly happens for no reason without warning.

Last night for example, I woke up at 3am in absolute excruciating agony, only to find my shoulder not in its socket - shock and trauma ensued for around a minute until it popped itself back in. Now I'm afraid of sleeping ever again :(
  • Alastair 19 Feb 2013 17:56:57 15,470 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Are you like Martin Riggs in Lethal Weapon?

Not as nice as I used to be

• riceNpea 19 Feb 2013 17:57:32 592 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    my good friend had it, 2 friends actually, and they both had to have it operated on in the end. now they are dandy.
  • woodnotes 19 Feb 2013 17:57:54 4,922 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    Pretty much, but less comedy and more man-tears.
    riceNpea wrote:
    my good friend had it, 2 friends actually, and they both had to have it operated on in the end. now they are dandy.
    Nooooo! I don't want an operation :( But it's better than the alternative I suppose.

Edited by woodnotes at 17:58:32 19-02-2013
  • Alastair 19 Feb 2013 17:59:22 15,470 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    woodnotes wrote:
    Alastair wrote:
    Pretty much, but less comedy and more man-tears.
    I guess you don't get to shag Patsy Kensit either...
    :(

Not as nice as I used to be

• riceNpea 19 Feb 2013 18:00:51 592 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @woodnotes

you'll be ok. for some reason though they enter through your anus to get to the shoulder so as not to damage any nerves.
  • DaM 19 Feb 2013 18:12:10 12,901 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yes! I had it, but my GP didn't believe me (she was useless). Then I fell out of bed one night during a bad diabetic turn. I broke my shoulder bone. After a few hours, I figured it was just too sore to get back to sleep, and popped up to A&E (it was round the corner).

They put me under a general to try and sort it out (it kept popping out), but it wouldn't stay in, so they put me in the most mental plaster cast - I had a band round my stomach, and my arm in plaster from shoulder to wrist, and the bar connecting the 2. Imagine sticking your hand out to get a bus to stop, that was me for 6 weeks!

I spent the first 4 days in hospital, waiting for a MRI scan - they wouldn't let me go home, even though I could chuck a stone out the ward and hit my bedroom window (just about...). Then on the day of the scan they realised that I wouldn't fit in the machine with my crazy plaster....

Anyway, that fixed it, been fine since!
  • woodnotes 19 Feb 2013 20:58:23 4,922 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thanks DaM, sounds like quite a mess but glad it's all been fixed :)
  • drhcnip 19 Feb 2013 21:18:51 2,445 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    had it wih my kneecaps about 12 mths ago which was bad enough but i can imagine the shoulder is worse....bloody panful, but very entertaining to show others....
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next