Shoulder Subluxation (ouch!)

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • woodnotes 19 Feb 2013 17:55:04 4,935 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hey peeps, intrigued to know if any of you are unfortunate enough to have recurring shoulder subluxation? And if so, what treatment/exercises you may have found to help?

For those who don't know, shoulder subluxation is a partial dislocation of the shoulder, which lasts around 10-60 seconds before popping itself back in. It's the most painful experience imagineable. It first happened when I was in a car accident a couple of years ago, but since then it just randomly happens for no reason without warning.

Last night for example, I woke up at 3am in absolute excruciating agony, only to find my shoulder not in its socket - shock and trauma ensued for around a minute until it popped itself back in. Now I'm afraid of sleeping ever again :(
  • Alastair 19 Feb 2013 17:56:57 16,027 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Are you like Martin Riggs in Lethal Weapon?
  • riceNpea 19 Feb 2013 17:57:32 592 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    my good friend had it, 2 friends actually, and they both had to have it operated on in the end. now they are dandy.
  • woodnotes 19 Feb 2013 17:57:54 4,935 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    Pretty much, but less comedy and more man-tears.
    riceNpea wrote:
    my good friend had it, 2 friends actually, and they both had to have it operated on in the end. now they are dandy.
    Nooooo! I don't want an operation :( But it's better than the alternative I suppose.

Edited by woodnotes at 17:58:32 19-02-2013
  • Alastair 19 Feb 2013 17:59:22 16,027 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    woodnotes wrote:
    Alastair wrote:
    Pretty much, but less comedy and more man-tears.
    I guess you don't get to shag Patsy Kensit either...
    :(
  • riceNpea 19 Feb 2013 18:00:51 592 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @woodnotes

you'll be ok. for some reason though they enter through your anus to get to the shoulder so as not to damage any nerves.
  • DaM 19 Feb 2013 18:12:10 13,326 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yes! I had it, but my GP didn't believe me (she was useless). Then I fell out of bed one night during a bad diabetic turn. I broke my shoulder bone. After a few hours, I figured it was just too sore to get back to sleep, and popped up to A&E (it was round the corner).

They put me under a general to try and sort it out (it kept popping out), but it wouldn't stay in, so they put me in the most mental plaster cast - I had a band round my stomach, and my arm in plaster from shoulder to wrist, and the bar connecting the 2. Imagine sticking your hand out to get a bus to stop, that was me for 6 weeks!

I spent the first 4 days in hospital, waiting for a MRI scan - they wouldn't let me go home, even though I could chuck a stone out the ward and hit my bedroom window (just about...). Then on the day of the scan they realised that I wouldn't fit in the machine with my crazy plaster....

Anyway, that fixed it, been fine since!
  • woodnotes 19 Feb 2013 20:58:23 4,935 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thanks DaM, sounds like quite a mess but glad it's all been fixed :)
  • drhcnip 19 Feb 2013 21:18:51 2,533 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    had it wih my kneecaps about 12 mths ago which was bad enough but i can imagine the shoulder is worse....bloody panful, but very entertaining to show others....
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next