Defiance: The Game Page 2

• Page

of 40 First / Last

• WinterSnowblind 12 Mar 2013 10:55:23 1,246 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm wary about pre-ordering. The game seemed decent enough, from what I've played and the TV connection is certainly interesting, but I don't see it having a particularly long life span, so the fact they're already charging so much for DLC is worrying and adding in new areas/quests as paid content is only going to divide the user base.

I'll give it a second look when it drops in price a bit, but I'd definitely think twice about paying for that fancy collectors edition and such.
  • agparrot 21 Mar 2013 13:35:33 11,903 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    There are no comments on the console beta code giveaways on the front page, so thanks EG!

Will have a go at it later.
  • DFawkes 21 Mar 2013 13:40:16 23,342 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ooh, I hadn't noticed. I will make links!

360 Owners Can Haz Keyz

PS3 Owners Can Also Haz Keyz

Pre-ordering should've also got you a key, including one for you SClaw with your messenger bag ;)

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• SClaw 21 Mar 2013 14:00:35 826 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Absolutely. By pure chance I also have tomorrow off. BONUS!!!

I picked up a PS3 code as I'd like to try them side by side, but on launch I'll be playing PC. I hope that - one day - they'll find a way to link accounts/characters, as sometimes it would be nice to switch (PC gamer at heart, but lounging in front of the TV for casual questing is much easier).
  • shamblemonkee 21 Mar 2013 14:13:32 14,485 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    isn't it monday to weds?
  • SClaw 21 Mar 2013 14:21:50 826 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago

Advance Mission Beta 3

PC March 22(1500 GMT) March 24(0400 GMT)

PS3 March 20(1500 GMT) - March 26(0400 GMT)

XBOX 360 March 22(1500 GMT) - March 27(0400 GMT)
  • glo 21 Mar 2013 14:28:00 3,428 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just grabbed a key and redeemed the code for the xbox version. Went to check that it had been added to the download queue for my console and noticed that the beta is over 5GB in size!

Looks like I will have to delete a few things to make some space. Hope it is worth it.
  • agparrot 21 Mar 2013 14:28:34 11,903 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    shamblemonkee wrote:
    isn't it monday to weds?
    Whatever. I don't read the small print!

It does say 25th - 27th March on the front page article for the giveaway 360 beta key I yoinked, yes.
  • macmurphy 21 Mar 2013 14:39:01 999 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    In an act of raw stupidity I was so excited to claim one I didn't check the dates. I'm not back home for the beta so dig out on this:

CCFVG-JX2RY-TKYDK-GJCQQ-JDJ7Z
  • nextavailable 21 Mar 2013 18:46:36 1 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I want a beta key, it says keys available yet when I click it it keeps saying giveaway over, anyone else getting this?
  • shamblemonkee 21 Mar 2013 18:52:48 14,485 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    agparrot wrote:
    shamblemonkee wrote:
    isn't it monday to weds?
    Whatever. I don't read the small print!

It does say 25th - 27th March on the front page article for the giveaway 360 beta key I yoinked, yes.
    be good if it is over the weekend, plus it would make a lot more sense!
  • SFD 22 Mar 2013 02:13:21 504 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Spare Xbox 360 key here

KY3K4-6PF33-WJYRF-2F2PJ-J6T7Z
  • Daz190uk 22 Mar 2013 08:40:44 70 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    SFD wrote:
    Spare Xbox 360 key here

KY3K4-6PF33-WJYRF-2F2PJ-J6T7Z
    Thank you! I just redeemed this. I've been looking forward to this but, like others, have my doubts.
  • DFawkes 22 Mar 2013 09:58:08 23,342 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My main concern now is something we saw with the first PC beta - people finding bugs then raging about this unfinished game on the forum! The bugs they were on about aren't even in the game anymore, yet they seemed to think beta meant demo.

So if it's anything like that first beta, there'll be some issues, but they are pretty good at fixing them. So far, at least ;)

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Vortex808 22 Mar 2013 10:35:52 7,298 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I look forward to hearing some comments about this. I would've picked up a key, but only really get time to game over the weekends these days, so that Mon-wed killed it for me. Thought I'd better leave a key for someone else who'd actually use it instead.

It sounds an interesting idea to me, I just hope they make it work well.
  • Tryhard 22 Mar 2013 10:47:32 4,134 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Having received my key,thank you EG,I have watched some vids and a live stream.And there is more to this than meets the eye.It has a Borderlands feel without the art style and not first person.

One thing they did say is that they were all enjoying it.A good vid here with thoughts on the last beta gameplay.
  • DFawkes 22 Mar 2013 13:10:35 23,342 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I went into my local GAME and they had a big stand all for Defiance, since they have an exclusive edition of sorts. Is this the same anywhere else?

It does have that Borderlands feel in places, given Borderlands has that MMO feel to it. One thing I do like is the lack of barriers when exploring, as even your starter guns will get you by. Except if you try to cross the Golden Gate Bridge. I won't spoil it for you, but do give it a try ;)

On a side-note, NDA is lifted today, so if you have any questions please ask away. No cross-platfrom play in it though - if the official forum is anything to go by, that'll be about 75% of what people ask.

• Mr_interesting_2011 22 Mar 2013 15:11:01 102 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The PC Beta servers have just gone live. Attempting to play now...

Only problem is I am 876th in the queue. Wait time is only 4 days though so not all bad :)
  • Tryhard 22 Mar 2013 15:52:28 4,134 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I thought the beta was the 25th according to EG blurb[should have looked here first],why did I switch the download off only halfway through last night? Fricker.
  • shamblemonkee 22 Mar 2013 15:55:27 14,485 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @DFawkes

1) how good are the character customisation options compared to things like Rift?

2) do people look varied, i.e. not everyone in the same hat at lvl 10.

3) how good does the gunplay feel?

4) do you have to do all quests in an area to progress to the next one? this really effed me off in GW2.
  • Tryhard 22 Mar 2013 16:29:32 4,134 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It seems the xbox and pc servers got hammered.They say they have resolved xbox and working on pc.
  • agparrot 22 Mar 2013 16:33:57 11,903 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So, are the 1000 360 keys from the EG beta valid from today, then?
  • Tryhard 22 Mar 2013 16:46:05 4,134 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    agparrot wrote:
    So, are the 1000 360 keys from the EG beta valid from today, then?
    Staggered beta keys. Hmmm. I guess we won't know till we try. Xbox is down again they say.Almost feels like an MMO launch day to me.:-P Hope they do not lose any potential customers from this.I think it could be one of those games,if good will spread through word of mouth rather than massive launch sales.
  • Mr_interesting_2011 22 Mar 2013 16:50:49 102 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    PC is working (for me at least anyway) and thankfully I didn't have to wait 4 days to get in.

Great fun so far...
  • DFawkes 22 Mar 2013 16:58:28 23,342 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    shamblemonkee wrote:
    @DFawkes

1) how good are the character customisation options compared to things like Rift?

2) do people look varied, i.e. not everyone in the same hat at lvl 10.

3) how good does the gunplay feel?

4) do you have to do all quests in an area to progress to the next one? this really effed me off in GW2.
    1) Not great, if I'm honest. You get a bit of control over your face, but as it's a shooter they've left everyone with the same physical build to prevent people creating tiny Oddjob's to gain an advantage. It does make sense as game balancing is important, but it's still a shame.

2) Assuming beta carries into game, you've pretty much got 4 outfits at the start. There are also headgear options to unlock in game and a few races, but they generally just alter the faces. So yes, there will be a case of apparent clones early on. You do earn stuff fairly quickly though, and the full game will bring pre-order costumes, but there'll still only be a few starter costumes.

3) This the bit I love. The gunplay really does feel solid and satisfying to me. For example, if you start as the class that gets a Sniper Rifle during the tutorial, even that beginners rifle will pop heads in 1 shot. Shotguns feel meaty, LMGs spit a hail of powerful rounds, Assault Rifles accurate in burst and Pistols powerful enough that they shouldn't be disregarded.

The EGO powers mix it up well too. One build I had could cloak and did lots of bonus damage from behind, which was a good mix for sniping people :) There are 4 main powers and perks based around them as you level up.

4) Story quests unlock in order. The first quests in side-quest chains tend to unlock after Story missions. However, the spot challenges all over the map are always open, as are the random Arkfalls so if you do want to ignore the story and run about on your quad bike (unlocked very early on) you can.

So generally all the areas are open from the start. The beta area wasn't the full area though, so this may change.

• fletch7100 22 Mar 2013 17:20:24 7,352 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    On the beta on the Xbox. In the tutorial area the frame rate feels choppy. Get Past that and into the first real area and its much smoother.

Gets a bit laggy in on one of the hubs with plenty of other players around. Just had game hard lock on me. Now I can't sign in again

Edited by fletch7100 at 17:55:44 22-03-2013
  • BinaryBob101 22 Mar 2013 17:35:03 23,529 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    This is free on PSN+ too, if you didn't get a beta key.

Downloading it now, only 6gig.

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• fletch7100 22 Mar 2013 18:47:11 7,352 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So far yup it's rough, it's a beta so I will keep that in mind

Speeding along on your quad, then do a barrel roll jump off it never gets old.
    Cannon fodder enemy are just that, nothing too fancy about them
    Loads of unlocks, can respec your perks
    Some random events around the map, defend some NPCs, helping them out on my own then convoy of 5 quads arrive with players to randomly help out

Can summon your own quad that and grenades are a cool down charger respawn system
  • Tryhard 22 Mar 2013 19:32:48 4,134 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Loving it on xbox,Ivonna Barf carrying her LMG,invisbility skill.

Never in a battle have I gone from LMG,to pistol to shotgun in a blink of an eye,then knifed the last attacker.

Took down one of those Fallout 3 lookalike big mutants with a flaming launcher by myself.Felt really good.

Did the secure radio station mission so well.That I killed all enemies before I should have,and the mission would not progress so had to quit it.
  • fletch7100 23 Mar 2013 00:08:01 7,352 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Tryhard

Yeah I'm enjoying it as well despite its very rough edges. I think its more a wonder of what has been left out of this beta thats In the final game. Will be fun with a bunch of friends and a convoy of auad bikes. Yup it's a beta so I will let some of those things slide for now. Do use the bug reporting feature whenever I can. Like how they do that rating and reporting feature after you complete each mission. Every bit of info helps

Was surprised that they had a on screen chat option, didn't expect that in the console versions.

Co op missions I think are only 4 players, keep doing those arkfall random missions. Seen about 10 players turn up.

Will be playing this more over the weekend if you want to team up. Got the same idea LMG and invisibility

With the co op missions I think it's the first option, quite a large map for that co op mission against those bug creatures. Think that's the better of the 2 co op missions on offer
  • Page

of 40 First / Last