Defiance: The Game

• Page

of 40 First / Last

Previous
  • DFawkes 18 Feb 2013 22:12:05 22,963 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What is Defiance?

For those that don't know, the concept of Defiance is a sci-fi universe in 2 parts, a TV show set in St. Louis, and a game set in San Francisco. A group of alien races known as the Votans came to Earth in massive ships called Arks to ask if they could bunk up with us. Years of negotiations began, until their ships started blowing up. Why wasn't clear, but it forced them to take direct action and the Pale War began.

However, after years of fighting, something happened at the Battle of Defiance. Many soldiers on both side had enough, and decided to stop fighting. They banded together and started to save people trapped in the rubble they'd created. That was the turning point.

So the game will take place after that war. The Arks that were destroyed in orbit rained down terraforming technology that changed Earth into a far more alien landscape, as well as bringing many forms of hostile such as Hellbugs.

But a lot of the debris from those ship remained in orbit, and they rain down now and again in what are known as Ark Falls. The game casts you as an Ark Hunter, employed by Von Bach Industries to retrieve technology from Ark Falls.

The game is a shooter MMO, more heavily edged toward the shooter side. There's all the things you'd expect from a shooter, so there's plenty of PvP and co-op maps, as well as the MMO side with an open San Francisco to explore - you can opt in to the Shadow War open PvP if you wish too :)

I'm mostly just trying to drum up some interest as it'd be great to have more EGers hunting Ark Tech with me :D There are already a good few of us about.

Earn Free Stuff with Ark Hunter Codes!

Should you be interested, you can gain boosts by inputting codes found online on your My EGO page.

Check out this Google Spreadsheet for all the lovely codes :)

PC Players & Clan

These are the PC people. Most use the same name in-game, but you can only add them if they're online. We also have a clan, simply named Arkhunters of Eurogamer (AoE. Get it? Area of Effect! It's funny! Oh, no it isn't).

Dfawkes
    Whizzo
    Randomlampy
    xxblindmonkeyxx
    MyMateMarmite
    Zuluhero
    myk - myk
    HurbleBurble (Wildheart in-game)
    UltraSoundwave(GT The Big Mull)

Xbox Players & Clan

I play on PC so might not keep this up to date, but there is a special thread just for you here: Defiance on Xbox

So far you've got:

neilqpr
    Starchild H
    Fletch7100
    Private UMPalot
    RedSparrows
    Clumsy Shooter
    Duffman glen
    Vortex 808
    Meho PPPi
    Sandhurst
    B4TTLEB0RN

I'm sure there'll be a clan too at some stage - keep an eye on that thread.

PS3 Players

StaffyDog (PSN ID Staff1Dog)
    CholeriKen
    Megapocalypse (PSN ID Drahkir1984)
    CptSupermarket
    mikeck

I'm sure there'll be more as time goes on and word of mouth brings in more PS3 Ark Hunters.If anyone wants added (or removed of course) to any of the lists just give me a shout, and if I miss your post don't be shy, PM me and I'll get it done :)

Edited by DFawkes at 19:28:58 19-02-2014

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Moot_Point 18 Feb 2013 22:24:54 4,071 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Is this a MMO?

It would really shock me if it wasn't. ;)

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• DFawkes 18 Feb 2013 22:57:44 22,963 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yes, it's an MMO. No sub, it's going for the Guild Wars 2 style buying the game does it. There's also a Season Pass with the special editions so there'll be DLC too.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Moot_Point 18 Feb 2013 23:03:25 4,071 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    You MMO hog!

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• DFawkes 19 Feb 2013 16:16:39 22,963 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What can I say, I like persistent online worlds :) There's also the fact the hard drive on my gaming machine is on the road out, so to be on the safe side I only play MMOs and games that support Steam Cloud or similar.

I'd still fancy Defiance if it wasn't an MMO though, I quite like the world they've built.

• Whizzo 19 Feb 2013 16:28:06 43,124 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It certainly plays rather nicely, plus I don't know of any other game where your mount is a quadbike that has a cloak.

You found a good price for it yet Fawkes?

This space left intentionally blank.

• DFawkes 19 Feb 2013 18:46:39 22,963 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nope. Just £80 for the You're a Mug Edition with tat if it's PC. It was just over £60 but I missed it at that price.

They seem to be making it harder by having slightly different editions. Zavvi have a GAME exclusive edition for £29.99. A little more expensive, but with extra Bits currency for the in-game store, and a different pre-order weapon.

I shall report back if I see it at a better price though :)

• Roddles 19 Feb 2013 18:59:51 1,895 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Does anyone honestly think the servers will still be up in 3 years? The MMORPG genre died when Blizzard got a monopoly on it, and even now the market as a whole is on the decline.
  • DFawkes 19 Feb 2013 20:20:42 22,963 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, it should be still up in 3 years given then massive investment into it. Don't forget, it's not like this has all that many direct competitors given it's being released on consoles. There are only a handful of those about.

Plus the market really isn't in decline at all, it's paying monthly subscriptions that's in decline. This doesn't have that - if you buy the game on 360 or PS3, you'll still have a fairly length campaign to get through. I'm sure there will be people that really take to it, if they remember to market it ;)

• Whizzo 19 Feb 2013 20:24:36 43,124 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Given it's a cross-media tie in with the TV show as long as that doesn't flop badly the game will keep on going as long as it does. NBC (SyFy's owners) will almost certainly have based the show's lifespan at being a minimum of 5 years.

• DFawkes 20 Feb 2013 20:25:36 22,963 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They've started a webseries thing (also available on PS3) that serves as a bit of a prologue to the game. Before that, I'd also recommend you watch the trailer as it has some of the same characters.

Live Action Trailer

Ark Hunter Chronicles Episode 1

• DFawkes 22 Feb 2013 22:42:31 22,963 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I know what you're thinking. You're wondering why I haven't shared a link to someone playing the game for an hour. Either that or wishing I'd stop posting about it and let the game die. Well here you go if it' the first one!

IGN Play The First Hour

Since there's an NDA I can't share as much as I'd like to, but it's all there anyway.

• PenguinJim 23 Feb 2013 01:41:27 5,854 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    Given it's a cross-media tie in with the TV show as long as that doesn't flop badly the game will keep on going as long as it does. NBC (SyFy's owners) will almost certainly have based the show's lifespan at being a minimum of 5 years.
    Firefly was brilliant and cancelled. Star Trek: Enterprise is about as big as you can get in sci-fi names/prestige and was cancelled.
  • DFawkes 23 Feb 2013 02:09:15 22,963 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The thing is, SyFy clearly want this to be big. Really big. Probably even the start of a totally new franchise they can expand into books, comics, other games and who knows what else. The plan, right out the gate, is to ensure this is a success. Unlike Firefly, it's their own IP so they won't misunderstand the heck out of it and be so quick to abandon it.

I'm not saying it'll definitely be going for years and years, but they'll certainly be more willing to keep it alive for as long as is financially viable - after all, the investments they've made at the early stages make it more profitable the longer it runs.

But that's just the show, remember you've got the game too. The hope is the way they interact and have a shared canon should be able to make the whole experience more expansive. We're not just watching this show, we're in the same universe just down the road. Shards of dangerous rain debris falls in the show, and you'll know that'll be passing over in the game too eventually.

Edited by DFawkes at 02:10:10 23-02-2013

• PenguinJim 23 Feb 2013 05:34:22 5,854 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Red Faction: Origins springs to mind. ;)

I don't want to break NDA, but Defiance (the game) is currently a miss for me. I'll give the show a chance when it airs, but my hopes aren't high.
  • telboy007 27 Feb 2013 09:33:56 462 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Lets just say I had the beta, I played it once and then I uninstalled it.

Unlocked the achievement Exploring Uranus

• Whizzo 27 Feb 2013 09:43:53 43,124 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    PenguinJim wrote:Firefly was brilliant and cancelled. Star Trek: Enterprise is about as big as you can get in sci-fi names/prestige and was cancelled.
    Fox had given up on Firefly long before it aired, dicking about with the airing of the pilot and other fiddling. Enterprise failed because it was shit for most of the first three seasons (Temporal Cold War bullshit?!) and by the time Manny Coto had started to turn things around with the fourth season it was already too late so CBS cut their losses.

• PenguinJim 27 Feb 2013 09:48:26 5,854 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You're right, there's lots of potential for Defiance to be cancelled quickly. :p
  • SClaw 27 Feb 2013 09:59:58 826 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think this game has a wonderful aesthetic. Playing in the beta weekend it was – visually – very pleasing (graphics a little dated, but not in a distracting way) and although nothing special in terms of gameplay it did feel like Tabula Rasa. And I loved Tabula Rasa. On the other hand it didn’t feel like an MMO during the few hours I played it; just like a slightly poor, but interesting, third person shooter where you occasionally run across other people.

To me this seems like perfect console fodder; a fun, reasonable looking lite-MMO I don’t need a keyboard for or anything.

On the other hand I’m pretty concerned about how fast SyFy dump new shows. Sure they are showing a lot of support for it… but what happens after a ratings dip? Can I really be bothered to get into what, basically, feels like a single player game which may eventually get the axe because of fickle producer somewhere?

And then there is Destiny… which has the same find of aesthetic and a similar storyline… only it’s going to be more polished, it’s definitely going to play better and it absolutely will have support for years and years. So my heart is saying, “go on, Defiance is alright, give it a chance” but my brain is going “meh… just wait for Destiny”.

Ultimately I think it’ll be a pass though, because March is crammed with amazing games I won’t have finished by the time this comes out.
  • DFawkes 27 Feb 2013 11:35:59 22,963 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I can't see the game getting axed quickly, but I do appreciate the concerns about the TV show and with it, its connections to the game. As I say, the investment SyFy made is too much to just cut it quickly, given they've paid lots at the early stages for sets to ensure it'll be cheaper to make more. But if it really tanks, it might end after a couple of seasons. I hope it doesn't!

The game is strong enough on it's own to keep going though as a separate entity if it has to. The link to the show stuff has potential, but it's not essential. It's still a fairly solid shooter. The MMO elements do seem a bit light, but I think that might be for the best for the console owners, who may never have played an MMO.

Edited by DFawkes at 11:37:30 27-02-2013

• SClaw 27 Feb 2013 11:51:20 826 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Something to note; no cross platform (tech is in place, but Sony and MS won't agree on it). That was confirmed Friday, but I can't find the link.
  • DFawkes 27 Feb 2013 12:21:18 22,963 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, that one comes up a LOT on the official forum. The only one they could get past them was with Windows and 360 (both being Microsoft platforms), but they couldn't really find a way to balance mouse and keyboard versus controller without compromising the experience for both parties, so they've kept them apart.

It's still a shame they couldn't just get along and have both consoles on the same server. I'd imagine the PvP console wars could've been immense ;)

• Whizzo 27 Feb 2013 19:57:07 43,124 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    PvP trailer is up:

• PhoenixDown 27 Feb 2013 20:00:50 10 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'm not at all interested in the game but I sure hope the TV show succeeds because it looks to be really good and I'm definitely excited for it. I've got to say that SyFy and Trion have an ambitious project in both Defiance the TV show and game but I just can't get into the game. Heck, the market is over-saturated with shooter games these days.
  • ZuluHero 27 Feb 2013 20:43:10 4,145 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is there going to be a way to watch the show if you don't have Syfy? I feel like it be missing out on half the involvement if I couldn't watch the show?
  • DFawkes 27 Feb 2013 20:59:12 22,963 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The official word is there are "plans". Whether that just means they'll be up on iTunes relatively quickly I have no idea. I'd hope they might at least let you stream it from their site the day after or thereabouts, with the ads left in.

Also, Ark Hunter Chronicles Ep. 2.

Edited by DFawkes at 21:01:06 27-02-2013

• SClaw 28 Feb 2013 08:33:15 826 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Looking at this again it clicked... it's just Rift with guns and slightly more action-y play. I think Rift is a top game, but it's just crushingly generic and charmless in its setting. As I've already said, the post-apoc-future-cowboys thing this game has got is pretty good though.

I'm being swayed...
  • DFawkes 8 Mar 2013 21:38:54 22,963 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Should anyone be interested, the fancy pants special edition with stuff (both real and virtual) is down to £57.67 for PC on Amazon UK. The 360 and PS3 versions are a few more quid at about £63.

Pre-order nets you:
    - Exclusive in-game outfit: Outlander
    - Exclusive in-game title: Iron Demon
    - Amazon Exclusive in-game weapon: Intoxicator
    - Three days XP Boost (activated as soon as you start playing Defiance)
    - Beta code (Beta Access is between March 15 - 18 only)

And this edition has this stuff:

• SClaw 12 Mar 2013 09:23:33 826 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I got a bone to pick with you DFawkes. You can't just show a man that sort of a deal and not expect him to cave! Damn you.

I was sold the second I saw the messenger bag. I'm a sucker for a messenger bag.

So. PC version here. I was considering PS3 but until I see actual gameplay on a console, I'm not touching it.

FYI to anyone not following this; there is another beta this weekend I believe. Any pre-orders before the 14th should get in (I guess I might have a spare code too, seeing as I got in the last beta so I don't need the amazon one?).
  • Whizzo 12 Mar 2013 09:35:33 43,124 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ah hell, I guess I'll be getting the super-duper one now then...

• Page

of 40 First / Last

Previous