The Islam Thread. Page 2

• Page

of 110 First / Last

• markyHD 17 Feb 2013 10:08:22 455 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I love the way outspoken islamists talk about the western world.

I'll take westernised whores and oil guzzling 4x4's over drought and a sausage fest any day of the week! :)
  • FWB 17 Feb 2013 10:09:51 44,851 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Islamists guzzle oil too, you know. Plenty also enjoy whores.
  • b0rk 17 Feb 2013 10:11:04 2,889 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Why should religion and a persons belief in supernatural mumbo-jumbo be respected?
  • RedSparrows 17 Feb 2013 10:11:09 23,331 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Shock: humans are hypocritical.
  • FWB 17 Feb 2013 10:12:42 44,851 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Because people are different. Because we all have different things we prefer. You may not respect the belief, but you should respect the right to believe in it.
  • RedSparrows 17 Feb 2013 10:12:59 23,331 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    B0rked_Gamer wrote:
    Why should religion and a persons belief in supernatural mumbo-jumbo be respected?
    Because, I think, there is a basic human trait for belief in the mysterious et al. As long as it doesn't impinge on others, why is this so wrong? Intelligence and faith aren't mutually exclusive.
  • Deleted user 17 February 2013 10:16:59
    FWB wrote:
    Yes, shame you can't understand it. I think you are confusing respecting someone as an individual who can have their own beliefs, with the belief itself.
    Yeah you clearly don't get it. One does not have to respect the religion to respect the connection/faith people can have in it. I'm sorry but that is a dragon level autistic lack of empathy.
  • markyHD 17 Feb 2013 10:17:15 455 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I respect peoples faith, but I have a hard time respecting religion of any kind. I see it as two different things really.
  • b0rk 17 Feb 2013 10:18:23 2,889 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    B0rked_Gamer wrote:
    Because, I think, there is a basic human trait for belief in the mysterious et al. As long as it doesn't impinge on others, why is this so wrong? Intelligence and faith aren't mutually exclusive.
    Yes but we see it impinging on others all the time. As for believing in the mysterious I would agree but it is a primitive instinct, a sort of fill-in-the-blanks instinct because the human mind seeks order, even when there is none. :)

Edited by B0rked_Gamer at 10:18:36 17-02-2013
  • disusedgenius 17 Feb 2013 10:20:26 5,431 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    They are different things. And still perfectly possible to do - I can recognise and respect something like Buddhism's lack of belief in the self (to take a non-Abrahamic example) as a life philosophy without believing it.
  • FWB 17 Feb 2013 10:22:06 44,851 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    FWB wrote:
    Yes, shame you can't understand it. I think you are confusing respecting someone as an individual who can have their own beliefs, with the belief itself.
    Yeah you clearly don't get it. One does not have to respect the religion to respect the connection/faith people can have in it. I'm sorry but that is a dragon level autistic lack of empathy.
    With the name calling now, eh, mowgli? It's cute when you lose the plot. You need to learn how to engage in the grown up world of conversation. :)

What's more baffling though, is that you acknowledge just what I said. That one doesn't respect the religion itself.
  • Deleted user 17 February 2013 10:22:45
    Another bad example of Muslims. Most are not like this man, it is the vocal minority as with most groups.
  • Deleted user 17 February 2013 10:23:07
    You have to be a complete fucking mong to only see religion - especially the faith people have in it - as nothing but belief in their respective books. It is so much more than that and allows for living your life and referring to it as guidance ('primitive instinct' makes you a tool). It is hugely ironic levels of ignorance to attack it from that stance (something Dawkins likes to do a lot). TLDR: You don't have to, say, believe the earth is only 10,000 years old to be a christian.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 17 Feb 2013 10:24:21 38,729 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    B0rked_Gamer wrote:
    RedSparrows wrote:
    B0rked_Gamer wrote:
    Yes but we see it impinging on others all the time. As for believing in the mysterious I would agree but it is a primitive instinct, a sort of fill-in-the-blanks instinct because the human mind seeks order, even when there is none. :)
    And the reason why Richard Dawkins is a bit of a cunt, because he's the opposite - he presses his atheism on others and acts the ass to those who dare to believe.

I don't believe in God myself, but I sure as hell don't think it's appropriate don't try and tell people they're wrong just because they choose to have faith.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• FWB 17 Feb 2013 10:26:29 44,851 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It also helps him pimp his image ( good or bad) and sell books.

I for one find him entertaining. Anyone getting worked up by him his giving him what he wants. Best solution is to ignore those who irritate you. You don't have to engage with them.
  • disusedgenius 17 Feb 2013 10:27:04 5,431 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dawkins is a cunt because he's always arguing with them. It's amazing the difference in the guy when he's back to gentle academic debate with another white-haired dude.
  • AwesomeWells 17 Feb 2013 10:27:12 410 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @mowgli But you DO have to believe that a) a virgin gave birth to the son of god and b) that same son of god was executed and then came back to life.

As far as I'm concerned, they are both up there with the earth is only 10,000 years old on a scale of 1 to Bonkers.
  • Deleted user 17 February 2013 10:31:47
    FWB wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    FWB wrote:
    With the name calling now, eh, mowgli? It's cute when you lose the plot. You need to learn how to engage in the grown up world of conversation. :)

What's more baffling though, is that you acknowledge just what I said. That one doesn't respect the religion itself.
    It was a response to the incredibly annoying, misplaced arrogance that slips into all your posts.

And yes, you really, really aren't getting it. I can't actually break it down anymore than this so here goes: We have 1) wo/man, 2) religion (bible for example) and 3) the faith people have in for example using it as guidance (without following it strictly). Using it to help introspect on unanswerable questions. Etc. You seem unable to see the third point and just limit yourself to the first two = 'you can respect the person and not the religion, that is all'. I respect the faith and guidance (3) that people can find in religion. I respect how it can guide them to do some incredible things. I do not blanket respect the religion as it can also lead to some fucking horrible things. It is this blanket determination of what religion is that makes Dawkins and his internet flock so fucking tiresome.
  • Deleted user 17 February 2013 10:34:57
    AwesomeWells wrote:
    @mowgli But you DO have to believe that a) a virgin gave birth to the son of god and b) that same son of god was executed and then came back to life.

As far as I'm concerned, they are both up there with the earth is only 10,000 years old on a scale of 1 to Bonkers.
    He wasn't the son of god.
  • Rusty_M 17 Feb 2013 10:36:52 4,772 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    He was a very naughty boy!

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• b0rk 17 Feb 2013 10:40:17 2,889 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    B0rked_Gamer wrote:
    RedSparrows wrote:
    B0rked_Gamer wrote:
    And the reason why Richard Dawkins is a bit of a cunt, because he's the opposite - he presses his atheism on others and acts the ass to those who dare to believe.

I don't believe in God myself, but I sure as hell don't think it's appropriate don't try and tell people they're wrong just because they choose to have faith.
    But they are absolutely wrong.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 17 Feb 2013 10:43:43 38,729 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    B0rked_Gamer wrote:
    And how is that your problem? Or Dawkin's problem. It's a bigger version of going up to people playing Rock Band and going "You're not really playing that, STOP HAVING FUN".

So what if you know it isn't real, they're happy with it.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Trowel 17 Feb 2013 10:47:18 17,913 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    AwesomeWells wrote:

If, rather than mocking it as a ghost story, you actually went out and correctly learnt what Christianity was, you might find it's the best thing ever.

Myself, I did all the bible classes, exams, church things like that when I was a kid, and it's not my cup of tea, so I move on with my life while respecting other people's right to live their life by the doctrine they feel fits them best.
  • MrDigital 17 Feb 2013 10:47:32 1,866 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dear Everyone on either side of this debate,

Don't get too worked up. We're all going to die anyway. Even if you write the best rebuttal ever today, it won't matter, life is meaningless. So chill.

Take some comfort in that even though you die, so will everyone alive today, so will all their descendants, so will all the human race, the Earth, our Sun and even existence itself will cease to exist eventually.

So take it easy,
    Your Friendly Neighbourhood Nihilist.

Formerly TheStylishHobo and Geesh.

• FWB 17 Feb 2013 10:48:23 44,851 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mowgli, You really are confused, and I'm now bored of trying to explain it to you.

Difficult not to feel superior to you. You make it so easy. :)
  • b0rk 17 Feb 2013 10:50:43 2,889 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    B0rked_Gamer wrote:
    And how is that your problem? Or Dawkin's problem. It's a bigger version of going up to people playing Rock Band and going "You're not really playing that, STOP HAVING FUN".

It really isn't the same as enjoying Rock Band. Rock Band is real for one thing. I don't understand this it isn't real but they're happy with it argument. Why should I or indeed anyone be happy with so many people believing in utter nonsense?
  • Deleted user 17 February 2013 11:00:11
    FWB wrote:
    Mowgli, You really are confused, and I'm now bored of trying to explain it to you.

Difficult not to feel superior to you. You make it so easy. :)
    Ooft, that inferiority complex couldn't be any more transparent. But if you can't respond don't worry champ, none of us care enough to think any less of you.
  • Rusty_M 17 Feb 2013 11:09:04 4,772 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    B0rked_Gamer wrote:
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    B0rked_Gamer wrote:

It really isn't the same as enjoying Rock Band. Rock Band is real for one thing. I don't understand this it isn't real but they're happy with it argument. Why should I or indeed anyone be happy with so many people believing in utter nonsense?
    How can we possibly know if they're wrong or not. Why not allow people to be wrong if they want to be?

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• disusedgenius 17 Feb 2013 11:09:19 5,431 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    B0rked_Gamer wrote:
    Why should I or indeed anyone be happy with so many people believing in utter nonsense?
    Because life is too short.
  • RedSparrows 17 Feb 2013 11:18:06 23,331 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    B0rked_Gamer wrote:
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    B0rked_Gamer wrote:

It is real for them. Why are you allowed to tell them it's not?i, with respect, doubt you are entirely rational about all aspects of life

Edited by RedSparrows at 11:19:05 17-02-2013

Edited by RedSparrows at 11:19:18 17-02-2013
  • Page

of 110 First / Last