The Islam Thread. Page 53

• Page

of 114 First / Last

• Mola_Ram 26 Dec 2013 04:00:41 8,275 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    A Sri-Lankan prime minister was assassinated by a Buddhist monk in 1959. The current party in power, as well as the country's Prime Minister, is Buddhist, and have been suspected of war crimes against the Tamils.

In Thailand, monks aren't going on Muslim-killing rampages or anything, but they're hardly blameless in the troubles either. Monks have been very much involved with anti-Islam nationalist movements, many of which have resulted in violence.

And then you have the Burmese government justifying some of their actions with Buddhist teachings. And the 1995 sarin gas attacks in the Tokyo subways, carried out by a cult with Buddhist trappings, etc, etc

I'm not trying to say that Buddhism on the whole* has been as involved with violence as some other major religions. Indeed, it has a pretty good record.

But it's not a perfect record. Buddhist parties have been involved in oppression of minorities. Buddhist teachings are open for reinterpretation, and these reinterpretations have been used to justify violence on numerous occasions. I lean towards many Buddhist teachings myself, but I recognise that it's not always the peace-loving, pacifist religion/philosophy that many imagine it to be.

*saying "on the whole" is problematic as, like Islam, Buddhism is not a particularly organised religion. Except for Tibetan Buddhism.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 04:14:20 26-12-2013
  • Defecationqueen 26 Dec 2013 09:46:33 654 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Mola_Ram
    Yeah.....but I'd sooner exchange our Muslim population for Buddhists, or even Sikhs. I genuinely mean that.
  • Mola_Ram 26 Dec 2013 09:54:24 8,275 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    They're people, not fucking goods for barter.

Deal with the people you have. Many are refugees, coming to seek a better life in your country, and I'd wager that most want for their families basically the same things that you want.

Besides, if you deported every ethnic population that had a few loudmouth nutjobs, you wouldn't have anyone left.
  • Darth_Flibble 26 Dec 2013 10:15:22 1,779 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    In Thailand, monks aren't going on Muslim-killing rampages or anything, but they're hardly blameless in the troubles either. Monks have been very much involved with anti-Islam nationalist movements, many of which have resulted in violence.
    Its true there has been some vile stuff from both sides but the muslims in the south have far worse in violent attacks. So you can't say both sides are bad as each other
  • Defecationqueen 26 Dec 2013 10:17:41 654 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    They're people, not fucking goods for barter.

Deal with the people you have. Many are refugees, coming to seek a better life in your country, and I'd wager that most want for their families basically the same things that you want.

Besides, if you deported every ethnic population that had a few loudmouth nutjobs, you wouldn't have anyone left.
    A few nutters is excusable. A religion that preaches conquest, subjugation and Medieval rule is not something we should be importing into Europe. We had enough of that with Christianity.
  • Mola_Ram 26 Dec 2013 10:18:12 8,275 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Darth_Flibble wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Its true there has been some vile stuff from both sides but the muslims in the south have far worse in violent attacks. So you can't say both sides are bad as each other
    No, I can't. But I didn't say that they were as bad as each other.
  • Darth_Flibble 26 Dec 2013 10:36:57 1,779 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Darth_Flibble wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    you did say they are "hardly blameless" "involved with anti-Islam nationalist movements" - trying to blame both sides. I don't blame the monks being involved protesting against these violent extremists.
  • Mola_Ram 26 Dec 2013 10:38:49 8,275 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Darth_Flibble wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Darth_Flibble wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    you did say they are "hardly blameless" "involved with anti-Islam nationalist movements" - trying to blame both sides. I don't blame the monks being involved protesting against these violent extremists.
    Yes but the point wasn't to equate the sides with each other. The point was to refute the mistaken notion that Buddhists are all pacifists. That is not the case.
  • Darth_Flibble 26 Dec 2013 10:53:51 1,779 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Did someone really say all Buddhists are pacifists? if yes then thats a silly to say but in thailand's case there are being pushed into taken action by people think its ok to kill non-muslims for their cause of taken over an area of land.
  • Mola_Ram 26 Dec 2013 11:06:17 8,275 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    There was an impression on the previous page that Buddhism is a non-violent religion. I was merely pointing out that this has not always been the case, using Thailand as one of my examples.

Even if their violence is justified (as it might be), it's still violence, and an example of Buddhists being willing to commit violence. That's the only point that I was attempting to make. I'm not really pushing for an argument over Thailand in any direction.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 11:08:05 26-12-2013
  • Darth_Flibble 26 Dec 2013 11:33:04 1,779 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    No religion is ever 100% peaceful as people can be driven to violent attacks for reasons (or people are just scum) but you don't see Buddhists enforcing their beliefs on others or who walk through the streets calling for non believers to be beheaded in western countries.
  • Mola_Ram 26 Dec 2013 11:42:21 8,275 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    No (although they don't have as many qualms about militancy in non-Western countries), but I think it's important to note that one is not granted immunity from dickheadery simply by virtue of his particular religion. Or lack of religion. Everyone can be a bellend, everyone can commit violence and oppress people, and there are many, many religious sayings and non-religious philosophies that one could use to justify those actions if one were so inclined.

Anyway, this thread is about how awful Islam is. So it's good to be back on topic.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 12:45:47 26-12-2013
  • Defecationqueen 26 Dec 2013 11:49:15 654 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    No (although they don't have as many qualms about militancy in non-Western countries), but I think it's important to note that one is not granted immunity from dickheadery simply by virtue of his particular religion.
    Especially in Islam, where the religion actually encourages "dickheadery" towards non-believers.
  • senso-ji 26 Dec 2013 12:42:10 6,042 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's confusing when bigots talk about Islam being a religion of conquest, as if it's something that is happening all the time. In my lifetime, I can recall several examples where non-muslim nations have invaded muslim ones: replacing governments with their own puppet ones, re-writing constitutions and in some cases attempting to commit genocide against the muslim population, but their seems to be less of it happening the other way round.
  • NBZ 26 Dec 2013 15:36:10 2,384 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oil says otherwise.

Saddam says hi, So does Iran. I could add egypt and Syria from the past but their current turmoil is more internal with just an external helping hand.

None of them threatened "the world". It was the other way around.

Look at Sudan. The Muslim north let the christian south secede relatively peacefully, but that doesnt mean the south hasnt spun into a civil war of its own.
  • NBZ 26 Dec 2013 15:38:42 2,384 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The "Muslim world" was designed to be problematic after its conquest following WW1 to stop any great power rising up in the place of the decimated ottoman empire.

The damage done then and continued onwards (including arbitrary borders drawn by pencil and ruler, which are then enforced as if they have always been there...) is something that still hasnt been undone - WW1 isn't really over in the middleeast.
  • Khanivor 26 Dec 2013 15:41:58 41,261 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Um,the north of Sudan treated the south do abhorrently they were essentially forced to split the country. It was quite the thing on the news, for oh, a decade or so.

Much of the strife in Africa that is currently hot has a high religious element. Christians and Muslims ducking it pity for control of their patch. Neither lot deserves anything other than contempt so perhaps we shouldn't pretend that Islam is the only religion causing agro nor that Islam has only been the victim of late.
  • senso-ji 26 Dec 2013 15:52:24 6,042 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The current problems in Africa have less to do with religion and more to do with the way various ethnic groups were forced to live together after their land was partitioned ny colonialism. What's happening in South Sudan is just the most recent case in a long standing problem.

Edited by senso-ji at 16:35:34 26-12-2013
  • ILoveThrashMetal 1 Apr 2014 22:21:19 825 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    How to be a racist: http://youtu.be/BY_DqzLGpCk

Arsechickens

• Mola_Ram 2 Apr 2014 00:16:14 8,275 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Wow, that guy has a massive chip on his shoulder. There's one or two good points in there, but also a lot of flailing wildly at strawmen.
  • FatSternKikwi 2 Apr 2014 02:21:19 667 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Darth_Flibble

On that count, the british would be first to go too.
  • Latin 2 Apr 2014 11:42:41 3,826 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I was served by a guy called Islam in Boots today.

That is all.
  • Moot_Point 2 Apr 2014 12:48:08 4,611 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    ILoveThrashMetal wrote:
    Heh!

You can't talk about anything these days without being branded a racist. I agree with that point totally.

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• senso-ji 2 Apr 2014 13:10:53 6,042 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ILoveThrashMetal wrote:
    Christ, the fucking comments on that video. How about this one:

If you want to know how to be racist then grow up as an ethnic minority in a country that has a far richer and more sophisticated culture. Then develop a resentment toward the indigenous majority out of a well founded sense of inferiority. Add to that, a fascination with African American rap and gang culture and the supremacist tenants of Islam.
  • Moot_Point 2 Apr 2014 14:17:29 4,611 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Umm no. Reading YT comments is more retarded than the person writing the comment in question.

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• bladdard 2 Apr 2014 14:33:14 1,021 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @uglygamer

I think you missed his point in the video, he said it was racist to disagree with a religion that doesn't allow secularism, use barbaric methods of slaughtering animals and does not believe men and women are equal. He didn't say Islam was racist, quite the opposite in fact.
  • Darth_Flibble 2 Apr 2014 20:10:18 1,779 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @FatSternKikwi

What message are replying too, if its my last one then it makes no sense
  • Darth_Flibble 2 Apr 2014 20:15:00 1,779 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    uglygamer wrote:
    If you know Muslims who are racist, remember its them and its nothing to do with Islam.
    Thats not 100% correct, some are fueled by hateful teaching of preachers to kill non-believers
  • Page

of 114 First / Last