Headphones Page 19

• Page

of 19 First / Last

Next
  • DMJ 20 Oct 2017 10:50:07 749 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I got a pair of AKG N60NC Wireless headphones yesterday. They're not cheap (£225 down from £250) but most of the reviews have been 5*. I have a wired pair of Y50s already, which are excellent (and only £50), but had been considering a wireless pair for ages.

Used them on the commute this morning. The noise cancellation is great, though it's the first pair I've ever had with the feature so can't say how they compare to anything else.

And they sound wonderful too, which is the most important thing.

Edited by DMJ at 13:24:49 20-10-2017
  • Tomo 20 Oct 2017 12:51:02 15,610 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @thumbgoals

Wow, that's a win right there. Well played.
  • thumbgoals 20 Oct 2017 14:34:18 31 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Following on from my BOSE QC bargain it actually gets better. I went back into Currys yesterday to pick up an Apple Watch strap for my wife that I saw in the bargain bin. To my amazement there was a set of Sennheiser Momentum 2 over ears in there for £85. Swiftly grabbed them and took them to the till and same routine, 50% off so they were £42.50...these aren’t the wireless ones but still well over £200 in most places. I also discovered a black Apple leather case for my iPhone 7 which are usually £45 and was £8 and also an Apple Smart Cover and silicone case for my iPad mini 4 for £12 the pair. The silicone case alone retails for £60. Crazy times.
  • nickthegun 20 Oct 2017 15:20:15 72,033 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    There's a dickbag sat 20 feet away from me and I can still hear the music plopping out of his crappy apple earbuds, the selfish cunt.
  • ozthegweat 10 Nov 2017 18:59:44 1,632 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Headphones newbie here. I'm looking for a nice pair for gaming (PS4 and XB1) at home in a flat (hence headphones), I don't plan to use them on the go. I'm on my own (insert forever alone meme here) so from what I've read there's no reason not to go for some open back headphones. I don't need a mic; 99.9% of the time I play on my own, so on those very rare occasions I need a mic I just use the cheapo mics that came with the consoles.

Budget is £200-300. What to choose? Fidelio X2 seem nice, but quite expensive. Sennheiser have a limited sound stage according to reviews.

I planned to simply attach them to the audio output of the TV. Or is an amp really worth it?
    And what about wireless? Is it possible to have nearly equal sound quality compared to wired headphones, with a dropout-free connection?
  • reviewer 10 Nov 2017 19:08:03 4,782 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It's difficult for anyone here to give a good opinion as few will have tried many to compare.

I have the sennheiser momentum 2s and have no issue at all, they're better than any expensive in ear ones I've had.

I'd only bother with wireless if the convenience is that important. If the cable isn't going to get in the way then I'd stick with wired for indoor home stuff unless you spot a bargain.
  • FuzzyDucky 10 Nov 2017 19:41:52 2,678 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I use my open back Sennheiser HD558s through an amp and they sound fantastic with the caveat they'd sound like crap just plugged into the TV audio out. They need the amp.

I picked up the Sony Wireless 2.0 headset during the summer (on sale) and they sound pretty great over wireless. You obviously can't use them like that on the Xbawks, but you get a 3.5mm to 3.5mm and can use them as a standard set that way.
  • ozthegweat 11 Nov 2017 08:25:29 1,632 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @reviewer Those are Bluetooth right? Can you connect them via cable as well and do you hear a difference compared to BT?

@FuzzyDucky Do you use it with a headphone amp, and if so, does it have a virtual surround processor? Are they worth it?
  • nickthegun 11 Nov 2017 08:52:05 72,033 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Your best bet is to go to the biggest Currys you can find and demo some. They obviously don't have the high end audiophile grade stuff but the aircraft hangar sized ones do tend to have a fair smattering of good stuff like Bose qc35 and Sony 1000x.

When I got my beats solo 3 from work, I popped in to make sure they weren't as shit as urban legend would have you believe and whether or not the studio were with the extra fiver a month.
  • uiruki 11 Nov 2017 09:24:07 4,424 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I have the Momentum 2 Wireless, the over ear ones; you can connect them via an included earphone cable or USB (they can act as their own DAC/amp). Only things that I'd call minuses are that the noise cancelling isn't as strong as other brands (I ended up changing to the Sony WH-1000XM2 for that reason) and if you're on iOS only the over ear ones don't have AAC support (though the in-ear ones do), which means they can sound a little fuzzy on an iPhone.

You can get them without wireless/NC too and they're quite a bit less expensive that way.

Edited by uiruki at 09:24:58 11-11-2017
  • mrharvest 12 Nov 2017 02:43:15 5,450 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Your best bet is to go to the biggest Currys you can find and demo some.
    This is the truth. Headphones are such a personal preference thing that there's hardly any one-size-fits-all solutions, except maybe the very top end models. You just have to try a bunch and see what works for you.

Also remember that EU guarantees right to cancel on Internet sales, so you can try a pair in the comfort of your home for a week and send them back if you don't get along.
  • UncleLou Moderator 12 Nov 2017 06:06:32 38,870 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    mrharvest wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Your best bet is to go to the biggest Currys you can find and demo some.
    This is the truth.
    You might end up with the ones with a banana-shaped frequency response that sounds the "flashiest" and are a little louder than the others, which annoy you after 20 minutes. ;-)

Really difficult.
  • mrharvest 12 Nov 2017 07:45:33 5,450 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, there is that risk. Which is why I suggested ordering online so you can send them back if they turn out to be Bose. ;)
  • FuzzyDucky 12 Nov 2017 08:35:55 2,678 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @ozthegweat The Wireless 2.0 I use just with the 3.5mm cable for music from my laptop or phone (if I'm lying in bed), no amp used as they are pretty easy to drive.

Using them on the PS4 there's a USB dongle you plug into the console and they set up automatically. You can then store two EQ presets and flick between them with a switch.

I find the virtual surround a bit "Meh" unless the game is designed to take advantage of them. Uncharted Lost Legacy really stood out in that department.
  • ozthegweat 27 Nov 2017 12:07:11 1,632 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    After having a short obsessive phase where I had to read up on everything related to headphones, I thought about going all in (high quality audiophile-grade headphones, headphone amp, DAC), but having to get up to adjust the volume and having a cable dangling all over the living room put me off.

I have now bought a Steelseries Siberia 840 last weekend, and after a few hours of gaming I am quite happy so far. That Dolby thing seems like an absolute gimmick, no difference in "surround" but noticeably worse sound quality.
  • beastmaster 30 Nov 2017 11:32:16 17,639 posts
    Seen 44 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I would definitely recommend the Klipsch X11i in-ear headphones. Lost my last set and was looking for an alternative but decided fuck it and got the same again.
  • Page

of 19 First / Last

Next

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.