• bitch_tits_zero_nine 27 Aug 2013 13:48:06 6,652 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Oh right.
  • simiankid 27 Aug 2013 14:13:28 594 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Headphone breaking-in is basically a myth. Saw an article in some posh audiophile magazine where they did extensive testing of a load of headphones to see what the actual response difference is over a long period of time, and it's completely negligible.

It's not like speakers which really do have a breaking-in period.
    At the risk of appearing to be completely dense, aren't headphones just little speakers? Why do speakers have a period when headphones don't? The size of the components/amount of speaker 'action'?
  • kalel 27 Aug 2013 14:33:07 87,933 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    simiankid wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Headphone breaking-in is basically a myth. Saw an article in some posh audiophile magazine where they did extensive testing of a load of headphones to see what the actual response difference is over a long period of time, and it's completely negligible.

It's not like speakers which really do have a breaking-in period.
    At the risk of appearing to be completely dense, aren't headphones just little speakers? Why do speakers have a period when headphones don't? The size of the components/amount of speaker 'action'?
    Yeah, it has to be the size of the parts. There were some differences that occurred over time but they would have been nothing you could actually hear. Those differences would be much more considerable with bigger speakers though.

To be clear there's lots and lots of stuff out there about headphone break-in, and a lot of people absolute swear by it. There is in essence though no proof that it makes an audible difference, whereas there is with speakers.

Regardless, unless you're using a headphone amp and a good DAC, I severely doubt it'll make a huge amount of difference to the quality of your MP3s.
  • FuzzyDuck 27 Aug 2013 23:31:39 4,208 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've always equated headphone breaking in as psychological, in that you adjust to what you're hearing.
  • gamingdave 29 Aug 2013 12:24:46 4,238 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    ... What HiFi product of the year award .... Product of the year? what the fuck are they smoking, far too bass heavy.
    What HiFi reviews appear to line up with the prominent advertisers on the site and in print. Of course I am not publicly stating the reviews are paid for, but, well.
  • Dougs 29 Aug 2013 12:28:37 68,060 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I went with tried and tested and got some Senn CX300 MKII.
  • kalel 29 Aug 2013 12:33:30 87,933 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    I've always equated headphone breaking in as psychological, in that you adjust to what you're hearing.
    I agree it's probably largely psychological.

I think there's actually often disappointment when you get a new bit of hifi type stuff. You convince yourself this will be the thing that makes it sound like the LSO are playing violins inside your head. Once you get over that initial disappointment, you start to notice the more subtle improvements.
  • simiankid 30 Aug 2013 16:49:19 594 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    I agree it's probably largely psychological.

I think there's actually often disappointment when you get a new bit of hifi type stuff. You convince yourself this will be the thing that makes it sound like the LSO are playing violins inside your head. Once you get over that initial disappointment, you start to notice the more subtle improvements.
    This^. I bought some super lovely Sony earbuds (I forget the model, but they were 50 nicker or so) and I absolutely could not get on with the sound of them at all. I had to get rid of them, but I probably should have persevered!
  • FuzzyDuck 30 Aug 2013 17:24:50 4,208 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @simiankid

Not entirely though, I think if you're inclined to get rid of them, they'll probably never sound good!

I had a set of Panasonic superaurals for a good lot of my time at uni and while they were really sturdy and folded up into a really compact shape, for the 2.5 years I had them they always sounded shite.

First thing I did when I graduated and had a few quid to spare was run out and buy a better set!
  • Fake_Blood 30 Aug 2013 17:38:53 4,223 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've gotten myself some dj headphones, they sounded good from the start.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 30 Aug 2013 17:51:05 6,652 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    gamingdave wrote:
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    ... What HiFi product of the year award .... Product of the year? what the fuck are they smoking, far too bass heavy.
    What HiFi reviews appear to line up with the prominent advertisers on the site and in print. Of course I am not publicly stating the reviews are paid for, but, well.
    Yeah, when I was really into hifi years ago, they had a real boner for Mission speakers.

To be fair to the Akgs, they can sound really good with decent source mp3s. I also think the Grados were truly exceptional.
  • superdelphinus 28 Sep 2013 21:28:56 8,074 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mine have started crackling subtly in one of the ears now :(
  • FuzzyDuck 29 Sep 2013 22:03:31 4,208 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    superdelphinus wrote:
    Mine have started crackling subtly in one of the ears now :(
    Sounds like loose wiring.
  • simiankid 2 Oct 2013 12:28:02 594 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I ended up with a pair of Sennheiser CX300-II, and d'you know what, they sound fantastic. I really don't know why I was going to lash loads of cash on swanky ones when you can spend 35 and hear how shit your mp3's are : )

And I know its got to be psychosomatic, but I swear I can feel the gut-hit when listening to tunes with scary bass.

Also got a neat little carry pouch. Bargain.
  • BonzoBanana 2 Oct 2013 13:36:55 88 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just to go back to the debate of wearing in headphones to get the best sound, John Grado of Grado labs states their headphones need about 50hrs of use before they sound their best. Considering they are just about the best manufacturer of headphones in the world I think they know their stuff. Whether this applies to all headphones is another matter but in my experience it is certainly true for some headphones I have purchased. If you accept that speakers need some use before the best sound is obtained then it is surprising anyone would believe it was not the case for headphones.

I've got various headphones and my favourite headphones are the Sennheiser's HD429. I got a pair from Clas Ohlson for 30 delivered in an offer about a year ago. For me they easily beat the AKG K450's for overall sound I also have. The AKG's are much more portable though.
  • Deleted user 2 October 2013 13:38:54
    I own the k550s which sound great but I find myself never bloody using them. And instead default to Klipsch s4 rugged set. Even when lying in bed etc.
  • kalel 2 Oct 2013 14:16:06 87,933 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    BonzoBanana wrote:
    Just to go back to the debate of wearing in headphones to get the best sound, John Grado of Grado labs states their headphones need about 50hrs of use before they sound their best. Considering they are just about the best manufacturer of headphones in the world I think they know their stuff.
    It's proven that it makes a difference, the question is whether it's a difference you'd actually notice.

Grado is probably using his headphones listening to vinyl on a 10k deck and another 10k on the amp, which is then hovering on a bubble of air to reduce vibrations. So yes, he can probably tell the difference.

I still think for the majority of people it's psychological. You stop being critical of your headphones after a while and start to appreciate the sound more.
  • nickthegun 2 Oct 2013 14:57:09 60,158 posts
    Seen 22 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You also get used to it. Its amazing how quickly it takes to normalise sound in your head. Even apple earbuds will start to sound ok after a few weeks.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• smoothpete 2 Oct 2013 15:09:30 31,536 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    For me, it's still all about the Sennheiser PX-100.
  • kalel 2 Oct 2013 15:15:56 87,933 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    For me, it's still all about the Sennheiser PX-100.
    Definitely one of the best you can get for under 50. That or the i-Grado.
  • kalel 5 Nov 2013 16:19:12 87,933 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My P5s have died. Daily use for nearly four years into too bad I guess, but a bit annoying. Normally I'd relish the opportunity to get some new cans, but I only recently got some serious over-ears for work, and am not in the mood to spend more on travel on-ears.

That said, needs must. P3s are probably the ones to go for now, but am loath to get another set of B&Ws. Quite like the look of the Sennheiser momentum on-ears.
  • billythekid 5 Nov 2013 16:31:13 11,146 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    How have they died? Not repairable at all?

I'd be highly annoyed if anything happened to mine.
  • kalel 5 Nov 2013 17:39:00 87,933 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The right ear (not the one where the lead plugs in) must have a disconnected wire. It's just stopped working. Due to the build of the headphones I can't see how it could be repaired.

I'm starting to think any headphones that you take out and about with you regularly will die in around 4/5 years. I've never had a pair go beyond that. The only ones I've had that really last are ones that get used in one place all the time like a desk.
  • kalel 5 Nov 2013 17:51:50 87,933 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fidelio M1 are a bit of a bargain on Amazon at the moment. Think that's my boy.
  • THFourteen 5 Nov 2013 17:53:18 33,623 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tried contacting the manufacturer? They might give you a discount on a new pair

I know vmoda do
  • billythekid 5 Nov 2013 17:56:08 11,146 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    B&W customer service is supposedly top notch, it's at least worth an enquiry.
  • billythekid 5 Nov 2013 17:58:16 11,146 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm sure you've tried all this but they have a page about it on their site.

http://bowersandwilkins.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/130/p/1%2C5/related/1
  • kalel 5 Nov 2013 17:58:44 87,933 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Might give that a go. Not a bad shout.
  • kalel 5 Nov 2013 18:04:47 87,933 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    billythekid wrote:
    I'm sure you've tried all this but they have a page about it on their site.

http://bowersandwilkins.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/130/p/1%2C5/related/1
    Yeah, it's none of those, but ta. I can almost get it working again just by tapping the right ear so it's clearly a loose/disconnected wire.

I'll explore my options.
  • billythekid 25 Nov 2013 17:20:34 11,146 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @kalel

If you want a new pair they're coming up at 7pm on Amazon's Black Friday deals!

To anyone else, they're excellent headphones and if they come in at a good price you'd be very very happy with them.
  • Page

of 12 First / Last