Headphones Page 7

• Page

of 12 First / Last

• Armoured_Bear 2 May 2013 21:58:29 10,582 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    @mowgli they aren't the best styled but they sound amazing :)
    They do have a good reputation.
    The thing about over the ear headphones is that you have to be careful with comfort, if they're a bit too "tight" for your head shape/size they'll end up useless.
    I ended up dumping by superb Sennheisser HD-25 SP II because of that.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Deleted user 2 May 2013 21:58:59
    You fuckers are just giving me more to look at. I'm indecisive enough as it is.
  • Armoured_Bear 2 May 2013 22:02:56 10,582 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    You do want to buy the right ones, don't you? :-)

Seen these ones?

• Armoured_Bear 4 May 2013 08:40:09 10,582 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    These are well liked and fold up small for commuting, well worth considering, they weren't out when I bought my K550

• Deleted user 4 May 2013 09:56:43
    Not sure about the look if I'm honest, they look like gamer headphones! But will look into them, cheers. With the Monday holiday I've got the weekend to ponder. Still in love with the k550 even if that cord is putting me off.
  • THFourteen 4 May 2013 10:01:21 33,185 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    You do want to buy the right ones, don't you? :-)

Seen these ones?
    They've been upgraded

Dunno where you can buy these in the UK though
  • Deleted user 4 May 2013 10:09:14
    Looked at some reviews and they do actually look decent. 250 on Amazon though!
  • THFourteen 4 May 2013 10:49:47 33,185 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have the original versions that A_B linked to. I like them, got the dark coloured ones so they are not too overstated.

Definitely better for dance and trance music, although i understand that the mid-high ranges have been improved on the new versions.

The only thing that stops me using them more is the cable!
  • FuzzyDuck 21 May 2013 00:37:06 4,022 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Have a nice set of Sony MDR ZX-600s (in the black and grey finish) for out and about.

Great passive sound isolation, nice, neutral sounding (I hate bass heavy sounding phones), very comfortable to wear for extended periods (even over the arms of my glasses), flat cable is perfect length for portable use too.

No idea why the review says "The ear cups are a fair chunk bigger than some on-ear headphones. They're able to fit around the ear... " as they are most definitely a supra-aural set.
  • gamingdave 21 May 2013 10:22:02 4,216 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not sure if you got any mowgli, but I am still on the hunt for my perfect pair of closed backs and I did try the AKG 550 which were on my shortlist. The sound was great and the high quality Spotify tracks were not a major bottleneck, but as is mentioned in the reviews getting a perfect seal is very important.

I didn't find it hard doing so, and a few seconds adjustment is all it took, but one shake of the head and they have moved. On an intercity train they would probably be ok, but on a tube or bus I think you would find them constantly slipping.

I now want to find a pair of Sony MDR-1R to try. Sony were recently giving them away with one of their Android phones and as a result eBay is flooded with cheap pairs. You should be able to pick them up for around 100 which is less than half RRP. They review very well.

The one issue with driving from a mobile though is power. The amps just won't drive a decent pair of headphones overly well, or loud. I picked up a FiiO E07k portable DAC/headphone amp and with both my Etymotic hf2 IEMs and open backed Sennheiser 595 HDs it makes a big difference. Sound is fuller and responsive and has the ability to go much louder. My Nexus 4 on full volume is pretty loud, but if out and about I want a couple of extra notches which the E07k provides. It also doubles as an external soundcard at work to sit between my laptop and amp.
  • Mr_Sleep 21 May 2013 10:40:21 16,933 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You might want to have a look at Audio-Technica, a friend of mine has a pair that cost about 150 and they're really very good indeed. Great clarity across the frequency range. Unfortunately I can't remember which specific ones they were.

You are a factory of sadness.

• BillMurray 8 Jun 2013 21:01:11 7,701 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @gavinjames Get tae fuck.
  • Dougs 27 Aug 2013 10:09:02 67,184 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My original Sennheiser CX300s have finally died, a good 5 years or so of use. Are the 400 II worth it over the 300 II?
  • Trane 27 Aug 2013 10:57:04 4,050 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    AKG 451s are currently 49.95 with richer sounds. Just a heads up.
  • Dougs 27 Aug 2013 11:01:01 67,184 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cheers - really after earphones rather than headphones though (I know it's not exactly the right thread...). They live in my suit/coat pocket so even foldable headphones will be a pain to cart around
  • Trane 27 Aug 2013 11:07:38 4,050 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ah sorry Dougs that wasn't aimed directly at you, just users in general - as they have been discussed a few times in the thread, and are a great set of phones.
  • Dougs 27 Aug 2013 11:10:33 67,184 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    No worries. I've read the reviews and am tempted though...
  • THFourteen 27 Aug 2013 11:15:51 33,185 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    once you've used proper headphones there's no going back IMO.

plus the fuckers dont keep falling out of your ears too

should add i have earphones for use when i need to put them away and dont have a bag, like going to footy / pub

Edited by THFourteen at 11:16:18 27-08-2013
  • Trane 27 Aug 2013 11:15:56 4,050 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hehe, good stuff. On another note, can anyone recommend some decent in-ears that actually stay in your ear?

I have a bit of an issue with wax buildup and even though I clean them (my ears) every day, my Phonak PFE012 just don't stay seated as well as I'd like. The silicone tips are rubbish (all 3 sizes) so I bought the relevant comply foam tips but they deteriorate over time, and I'm not too chuffed importing consumables on a regular basis - I'd prefer to invest in a long term solution. I've never had much luck with in-ears.
  • Trane 27 Aug 2013 11:17:55 4,050 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    once you've used proper headphones there's no going back IMO.

plus the fuckers dont keep falling out of your ears too

should add i have earphones for use when i need to put them away and dont have a bag, like going to footy / pub
    Yeah I have some denon cans which I love, they are OK for flights etc but a bit bulky for my every day commute. Thinking of the 451s myself, trying to curb a spending spree ATM though :p
  • THFourteen 27 Aug 2013 11:21:22 33,185 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've also struggled getting in-ears to stay "in", maybe something like shures which are supposed to go over the top of your ears and then in?

or those super expensive moulded to your ear canal ones?

i did just buy a pair of NOCS N800 which are ace, and very light so stay in your ears fine, but i wont recommend them as i dont think they are worth the extortionate price...
  • kalel 27 Aug 2013 11:43:11 86,961 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    In my experience more expensive in-ears just stay in. My Klipshe in-ears don't budge a millimetre.

Don't know why they don't use similar design on cheaper ones. I guess it's just to give another reason to justify the more expensive ones.

In other news, I now have a DAC/headphone amp for use at work, to go with my AKG 550s. It is sexy aural pleasure time at work these days (although i'd still kill for some open backs, but sadly my workmates would end me).
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 27 Aug 2013 13:02:06 6,654 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I took a punt on a pair of AKG 451s off the back of their What HiFi product of the year award.

What HiFi apparently reviewed them at 150 and still they won an award, so seeing them at 50 on Amazon, I thought, why not.

Product of the year? what the fuck are they smoking, far too bass heavy.
  • BinaryBob101 27 Aug 2013 13:32:28 22,637 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Trane wrote:
    Hehe, good stuff. On another note, can anyone recommend some decent in-ears that actually stay in your ear?

I have a bit of an issue with wax buildup and even though I clean them (my ears) every day, my Phonak PFE012 just don't stay seated as well as I'd like. The silicone tips are rubbish (all 3 sizes) so I bought the relevant comply foam tips but they deteriorate over time, and I'm not too chuffed importing consumables on a regular basis - I'd prefer to invest in a long term solution. I've never had much luck with in-ears.
    Yeah, my Soundmagic E10s are fantastic for the price, together with Comply foam tips, they are pretty much unbeatable imo, at that price point and never fall out of my ears.

About 40 for the lot.

Edited by BinaryBob101 at 13:32:48 27-08-2013

Sir_Walter_Rally wrote:
    Many films are based on phone charge running out and being trapped somewhere...

• Mr_Sleep 27 Aug 2013 13:35:49 16,933 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    Product of the year? what the fuck are they smoking, far too bass heavy.
    What music were you listening to? You could always equalise the bass down a bit. I have 451's and I have never thought the bass was too much.

Edited by Mr_Sleep at 13:36:18 27-08-2013

You are a factory of sadness.

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 27 Aug 2013 13:38:38 6,654 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Various MP3s. I think my expectations were too high off the back of the rhetoric.

It also doesn't help that my last pair where Grado 80s which aren't very bassy at all.

Do they need to burn in at all?

Edited by bitch_tits_zero_nine at 13:39:08 27-08-2013
  • kalel 27 Aug 2013 13:43:41 86,961 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Headphone breaking-in is basically a myth. Saw an article in some posh audiophile magazine where they did extensive testing of a load of headphones to see what the actual response difference is over a long period of time, and it's completely negligible.

It's not like speakers which really do have a breaking-in period.
  • Page

of 12 First / Last