The Horsemeat Scandal Page 6

• Page

of 7 First / Last

• riceNpea 16 Feb 2013 21:46:24 592 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Carlo wrote:
    Ka-blamo wrote:
    We're a horse country, we have horses as pets, we bet on them, we love them, girls grow up dreaming of...
    OK let me stop you right there!

We all know what girls dream about regarding horses and it's disgusting.

DISGUSTING!
    i don't know, i've never been a girl or witnessed their dream. will you tell us? do i need to sit down for this? will i need a bucket? it's not going to be like War Horse is it because that made me cry and right now i'm a bit sensitive what with my condition and all: extreme shyness, social anxiety, fearfulness and an all encompassing need to cover myself in foil. the doctors call it Hyper-Sensitivity and say i'm borderline demented but i don't believe them because they've never met me.
    i also like the colour blue, i wish for WORLD PEACE and goodwill to all men and look great in a swimsuit.
  • Carbon_Altered 16 Feb 2013 22:02:15 675 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My concern is that the meat isle at Tescos is going to be empty soon if we keep losing more stuff to this faux outcry.

So how about we bring the badger and fox cull forward? Kill two birds with one stone (then add those birds to the fox mince and badger burgers)
  • Anthony_UK 16 Feb 2013 22:15:38 2,511 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Curious to know whether all these tests are specifically looking for horse DNA. Could there be other animals in this contaminated meat what we haven't even heard about yet
  • riceNpea 16 Feb 2013 22:21:10 592 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Anthony_UK wrote:
    Curious to know whether all these tests are specifically looking for horse DNA. Could there be other animals in this contaminated meat what we haven't even heard about yet
    are there still animals that we haven't heard about? you mean like the Earwax stork or a Fallopian fish or a Flying Roundhousekick dog, the imaginary list is endless. how exciting
  • DaM 16 Feb 2013 22:21:44 13,336 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Anthony_UK wrote:
    I think what happened was that legal minced horse was exported and passed from supplier to supplier. At some point along the way, some crooks switched the labels, or just tippexed out horse and wrote cow. Going to the effort of mincing cats, dogs, rats etc would be too much effort, especially as the horse meat was so cheap.
  • riceNpea 16 Feb 2013 22:35:16 592 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @DaM

ahh, the old tippex out horse and write cow eh? clever bastards. incidentally i once owned a mincing cat. kept himself to himself and was very good to his mother but refused to use the litter tray until i splashed strong cologne all over it.
  • Moot_Point 18 Feb 2013 19:49:38 4,349 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago

Funny how when asked, no-one wants to eat horsemeat, but they buy it blindly in a supermarket.

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• DFawkes 18 Feb 2013 20:14:43 23,350 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I want to eat horsemeat. I want the burgers I used to buy, back in the freezer section but relabelled to make it clear they're horse. They were tasty so I want them back. All they do now is Birdseye and they don't taste as nice.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• mal 18 Feb 2013 20:26:57 22,710 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Programme about this on channel 4 now. Will be on +1 in 35 mins.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• mal 18 Feb 2013 20:34:36 22,710 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    And Panorama just started on BBC1 as well.

• mal 18 Feb 2013 20:55:08 22,710 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Genius, Iceland boss claims their burgers might well contain dog and cat. Nice PR job there, mate!

• Moot_Point 18 Feb 2013 20:59:08 4,349 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It is very rare I eat processed meat, I'd rather pay a little extra and get what I pay for in a butcher.

================================================================================

• Deleted user 20 February 2013 07:58:20
    The entire horsemeat scandal, (and the 'pink slime' one before it), reminds me of the following excerpt from Scott Adams' book The Dilbert Principle (page 138):

Marketer #1: "You and I might prefer beef in our hamburgers, but the average consumer isn't that discriminating."

Marketer #2: "I heard of a guy who eats light bulbs and nails."

Marketer #1: "Exactly. They don't care what they eat."

Marketer #2: "So we could fill our burgers with lawn clippings and toenails and that kind of [expletive deleted] and they'd never know the difference."

Marketer #1: "They might even thank us for saving them money."

Marketer #2: "I'm exhausted from all of this market analysis. You want to get a steak?"

Marketer #1: "I'm a vegetarian."

Edited by EndlessSolitude at 07:59:40 20-02-2013
  • spamdangled 20 Feb 2013 08:02:21 27,413 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    It is very rare I eat processed meat, I'd rather pay a little extra and get what I pay for in a butcher.
    To be honest, Butchers aren't immune to being affected either. They get their meat from other providers like everyone else. It's not like they go out to the fields with a meat cleaver in hand and slaughter the animals themselves.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• disusedgenius 20 Feb 2013 08:12:22 5,431 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    No, but most of them will know the guy that does (or the guy who tells another guy to at least). In general it's a way, way shorter supply chain.
  • Moot_Point 23 Feb 2013 21:41:01 4,349 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Screw being poor in Germany!

• DFawkes 23 Feb 2013 21:55:32 23,350 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Damn right! It's not like it's not fit for human consumption, it's food that's being wasted because it was mis-labelled. That's it! You don't have to force it, just hire a hall or something and put out the word there's free meat for those that want it.

Screw it, send it all to me. I'll be set for life :)

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• speedofthepuma 23 Feb 2013 21:57:48 13,304 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, I'm not sure where I stand on that, if it's safe (?) then why not is give it away to people who can choose not to eat it?

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• DFawkes 23 Feb 2013 22:08:43 23,350 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Don't get me wrong, don't force it on anyone, but do offer it for those that just don't give a monkeys on whether they're eating horse. Or monkeys.

• mal 24 Feb 2013 01:03:31 22,710 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Also known as the people who buy Tesco value burgers.

• Moot_Point 24 Feb 2013 04:01:12 4,349 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Moot_Point wrote:
    To be honest, Butchers aren't immune to being affected either. They get their meat from other providers like everyone else. It's not like they go out to the fields with a meat cleaver in hand and slaughter the animals themselves.
    You must be a supermarket luddite. When you go to a butcher, there tends to be a more sociable atmosphere when looking at the meat available. If this is not the case, then it's pretty obvious its not the shop for you.

Every butcher I have used currently and in the past, I check and ask them how they source their meat. In some cases, I have found out that some butchers sell hung meat (drained of blood). Only by talking to the butcher will you find these things out, and on the whole I am a sociable guy so it's never a problem to strike up a conversation on the fly when shopping.

This is the very thing I detest most about supermarkets, no friendly banter to gauge the person you are trusting when buying foodstuffs from. Its a sad world indeed when people shuffle into a supermarket, pick up a box, shuffle to the checkout and queue in silence then briefly smile as they hand over their cash.

Edited by Moot_Point at 04:02:10 24-02-2013

• mal 24 Feb 2013 04:09:59 22,710 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    In my old butcher, if you asked for lamb chops they'd pull out half a spine of lamb and cleave it into chops in front of you, then tidy them up and bag them. God help you if the person in front of you asked for a rack of lamb, cos that takes an absolute age to butcher.

These days I go to the butcher across the road most often, as they're a little less snooty there, and they do more varieties of sausages. They do most of their butchering in a room at the back though.

• Fab4 25 Feb 2013 11:52:40 6,115 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    NO!!!!!!!!! Not the meatballs from IKEA too!!!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21569645
  • nickthegun 25 Feb 2013 12:05:34 60,479 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

They are actually one of the few things where I wouldnt be too upset with mystery meat in them.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Ka-blamo 25 Feb 2013 12:11:04 7,471 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:

Funny how when asked, no-one wants to eat horsemeat, but they buy it blindly in a supermarket.
    Yes, Blindly.

"Funny how people won't eat a plate of my pubes but when I put one in his burger without him knowing he happily eats it"
  • DaM 25 Feb 2013 12:11:19 13,336 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    At least you know where you are with a horse. In our house they are known as reindeers' balls.
  • DaM 25 Feb 2013 12:13:24 13,336 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    None of this meat would ever appear in a butchers or supermarket by itself, it's only in processed products. It's the shittiest scraps blasted off the stripped carcass.
  • nickthegun 25 Feb 2013 12:16:16 60,479 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thankfully, I dont eat ready meals or frozen burgers, so im fairly confident that I havent eaten any of that shit.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• GuiltySpark 25 Feb 2013 12:22:01 6,427 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Moot_Point So you're the guy who holds the queue up for half an hour with your insatiable urge to talk about meat.

Get bent.

• THFourteen 25 Feb 2013 12:28:24 33,856 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Moot_Point

Nooooo

I want to walk in and out of MnS in as little time as possible. I don't want no idle chit chat. The self checkouts are a fantastic invention, i dont even need to take my headphoens off anymore.
  • Page

of 7 First / Last