The Horsemeat Scandal

• Page

of 7 First / Last

Previous
  • Moot_Point 15 Feb 2013 01:50:22 4,624 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I am sure we are fully aware of horse being sold as beef in recent reports. However, today news broke of a horse tranquilizer called bute being found in samples of horsemeat heading for the human food chain. Bute has been shown to cause a blood disorder in humans and is banned for animals being bred for the food chain. Article.

So even though its has been a joke topic recently, this newest development could have some very serious consequences.

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• mal 15 Feb 2013 02:03:44 22,842 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    There's really no health aspect to this story IMO. According to the news earlier, you'd need to eat hundreds of 100% horse burgers to even get a single human dose of this stuff.

What's more concerning is the lack of control and transparency in our meat supply trade, especially when it comes to processed meat. Investigations are digging up some interesting characters like Jan Fasen who has a history of mislabelling horsemeat as halal beef, who somehow was still allow to trade in meat.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21464287

Edit: Also, that's not how you spell scandal.

Edited by mal at 02:04:10 15-02-2013

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• puddleduck 15 Feb 2013 02:09:49 1,854 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mal is spot on. The issue for me has never really been that it's horsemeat, or that it might kill people etc... It's the issue of just how much unregulated meat might be finding it's way into the supply.
  • riceNpea 15 Feb 2013 02:21:40 592 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    it's ironic that your user name is moot point because what you've posted is exactly that.

the issue isn't what we're being sold, the issue is the society we've allowed to flourish the past couple of generations.

we have been complicit in accenting to the produce of 'meat' products that need only be 47% of the advertised nutriment with the rest comprising of scraps of otherwise unprofitable and unsavoury off-cuts.

in our pursuit for convenience and time saving we in the 'civilised world' have provided the perfect scenario for such practises to be tolerable.

the chain from origin to household of these frozen meats is staggering. the Findus beef lasagne scandal alone incorporates 13 countries and 28 companies from the meat's source to your plate.

Governments too are wilfully negligible - the UK Coalition cutting back on manpower in an already understaffed Food Standards Agency.

i am not saying that labour saving, cheap food produce is inherently wrong but our over reliance and lackadaisical attitude towards it is.

edit: spelling (as usual)

Edited by riceNpea at 02:24:10 15-02-2013
  • Khanivor 15 Feb 2013 02:30:33 41,286 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    As long as it's not diseased or pumped full of chemicals then I couldn't give a fuck, really. Anything else is in the mind.
  • mal 15 Feb 2013 02:35:51 22,842 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    puddleduck wrote:
    Mal is spot on. The issue for me has never really been that it's horsemeat, or that it might kill people etc... It's the issue of just how much unregulated meat might be finding it's way into the supply.
    Well, if it were a fact that it might kill people, that would be a big issue indeed. But to the best of my knowledge, this bute business won't do that - and is highly unlikely to even make anyone ill.

• Deleted user 15 February 2013 02:38:56
    We've gone all la-di-dah middle class recently and only get in organic, locally sourced meat, not necessarily because of mystery meat and so on and so forth, but mostly because processed food in general is just horrifyingly unappetising. Don't look at the horsemeat stuff, look at the massive recall of thousands upon thousands of ready meals recently because they were found to contain a hefty quantity of glass.

Glass.

In a fucking ready meal.

That being said, I am sat here currently eating a large Jack-In-The-Box sirloin burger because it's been an absolute cunt of a day and I wanted some stodgy grease and a ridiculous amount of fries.

But still.

Glass.
  • puddleduck 15 Feb 2013 02:42:22 1,854 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Exactly! It's the clear signs that a lot of food is obviously not being regulated anywhere near enough. That's the worry.
  • mal 15 Feb 2013 02:45:50 22,842 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've given up processed food (except for the occasional bangers from the butcher), but I've yet to be convinced that non-organic meat is a problem, especially when all it takes to stop meat being organic is for it to eat some grass that's been artifically fertilised.

• Deleted user 15 February 2013 02:50:44
    Organic stuff also tends to avoid being injected with hormones pre-slaughter, and water and flavourings post-slaughter. You actually get 100% meat, rather than 70% meat, 30% brine. Though you literally can't get non-organic local meat here. It's either organic local, or non-organic Walmart.
  • Mola_Ram 15 Feb 2013 02:51:31 8,316 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I spent the last 2 months of 2012 eating dinners with a host family in a Nepalese village. There were rats in our house. And they cleaned the floor with cow poo. It could always be worse.

But glass in food?!? Wtf. No glass in my ass, thanks. Do not want.
  • mal 15 Feb 2013 04:00:06 22,842 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Organic stuff also tends to avoid being injected with hormones pre-slaughter, and water and flavourings post-slaughter. You actually get 100% meat, rather than 70% meat, 30% brine.
    Curiously, shops are required to tell you how much pork ends up in 100g of any ham you buy. Good ham should contain over 100g of meat per 100g of ham, as the curing process drives off natural water, whereas I've seen cheap ham only containing as little as 80g per 100g.

I'm less bothered by animal hormones that may have been introduced to the animal while it was still alive. Unless it's injected just before it's slaughtered, which I'd have thought is unlikely, I'd have thought it would mostly have degraded and blood levels returned to something like normal.

But yeah, you've a point re availability. Shame there's no classification for not organic, but still not massively fucked-about with meat.

• Dirtbox 15 Feb 2013 04:23:19 79,216 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The only good thing about this is it means it's a fucking slow news week for people to get worked up about something so utterly trivial.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Phattso Moderator 15 Feb 2013 04:40:27 13,947 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm more horrified by the spelling in the thread title.
  • MetalDog 15 Feb 2013 07:41:35 23,920 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's not really utterly trivial. The odds that this current bruhaha is purely down to a handful of horses and pigs ending up in products they shouldn't have seems quite small and if you can't keep track of what animal it is, you sure as hell aren't keeping proper tabs on what drugs are in it and what parasites or diseases it has.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• neilka 15 Feb 2013 08:06:34 16,539 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anyone know which ready meal I have to buy to get a bit of human in my dinner?

BAAANG!!!!! EXPLOTION!!!!!

• mal 15 Feb 2013 08:10:02 22,842 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If in doubt, always go for Brain's Faggots.

• Deleted user 15 February 2013 08:19:21
    Dirtbox wrote:
    The only good thing about this is it means it's a fucking slow news week for people to get worked up about something so utterly trivial.
    It's taken three weeks of the public going "meh" to this - the press have gone to extreme odds to turn this into a "scandal".
  • SClaw 15 Feb 2013 08:28:37 826 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I had some of the effected Tesco burgers. Didnít notice a problem with them; tasted like cheap shit like the always do. If it said it on the packet, it wouldnít really bother me. Itís more a case of false advertising (issues of bute etc aside). So itís nay problem.

No? OkÖ Iíll trot offÖ
  • mal 15 Feb 2013 08:34:34 22,842 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's not so much false labelling, as the labellers having not a clue what they've actually got their hands on. It highlights the lack of control in the modern meat trade, and the presence of fraudsters in it.

Like others, I'd be quite willing to try a bit of horse provided it was well reared and wasn't contaminated with any dodgy beef.

• Deleted user 15 February 2013 08:55:15
    If you are buying tesco value burgers you should be happy with the fact there is any meat in there.
  • Mr-Brett 15 Feb 2013 08:57:34 12,897 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rhythm wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    It's taken three weeks of the public going "meh" to this - the press have gone to extreme odds to turn this into a "scandal".
    At least they didn't call it 'Horse-Gate'.

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• Deleted user 15 February 2013 08:59:32
    I've been patiently waiting for the news that donkey meat has been found so I can use the the assburger joke I've been planning.

Steal it and I'll CUT YOU.
  • Frogofdoom 15 Feb 2013 09:05:31 1,088 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    a tweet i saw yesterday sums it up nicely.

Why all the fuss over horsemeat in the UK? If you're buying ready meals from Tesco, you clearly don't give a shit what you put in your body.
  • SClaw 15 Feb 2013 09:08:11 826 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Occassionally a shit, terrible tasting grease burger is exactly what you want to eat though. And yes, you totally get what you deserve with it.

The thing which surprises me though... surely horses, in general, are more expensive than cows?

Assburger. I like that. I'm writing it down.
  • JuanKerr 15 Feb 2013 09:10:33 36,446 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    If you are buying tesco value burgers you should be happy with the fact there is any meat in there.
    Exactly.

If the only meat I could afford was Tesco value, I think I'd not bother and just eat vegetables instead.
  • robthehermit 15 Feb 2013 09:14:09 4,329 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mal wrote:
    If in doubt, always go for Brain's Faggots.
    They're awesome.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• TheSaint 15 Feb 2013 09:26:15 14,833 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The worrying thing is that if these burgers had been 100% cow anus everything would be absolutely fine.

As others have said, if I could only afford value meat then I'd rather become veggie.

Edited by TheSaint at 09:27:04 15-02-2013
  • Page

of 7 First / Last

Previous