Do People need to stop Pre-Ordering? Page 2

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• TheRealBadabing 14 Feb 2013 22:38:20 1,329 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I still say that review sites like EG should provide information about embargo dates. Put it on the relevant game page, whether they intend to review or not.

Knowing in advance that a marketing/PR department doesn't want anyone apart from their "exclusive" partners writing stuff is generally a good indicator. Naming and shaming would go a long way to eradicating the practice.
  • FuzzyDuck 14 Feb 2013 22:50:36 4,355 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Carlo wrote:
    I didn't pre-order Ni no Kuni

I didn't get a copy.

There you go.
    I'm jammy enough to have a copy now, but this happened to myself. My local shop had a single copy of Anarchy Reigns delivered to them for release day - my pre ordered copy.

I've got Metal Gear Rising on preorder for a few reasons: it's a Platinum game; it probably won't be a huge seller and it's the only way I can guarantee myself a copy of it and I got sweet deal trading in a few old titles that were gathering dust.

With regards to A:CM, I don't think preordering is a problem, it's BS like review embargoes and the misinformation spat out by Gearbox in the run up should be stopped.
  • Kid_Icarus 14 Feb 2013 22:53:33 555 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think people on this site know naming and shaming those sorts of people isn't necessarily a good idea.
  • riceNpea 14 Feb 2013 22:55:42 592 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    pre-ordering should always have a place in the game industry just like any other. why would i want less choice? surely the onus is on the consumer to make an informed decision. if they blindly pre-order a turkey or they wilfully succumb to the hype machine and are subsequently disappointed, that's too bad. they made their choice.

i don't want pre-ordering taken away from me as an option on the back of someone who should be venting their anger inwardly at their poor choice rather then blaming everyone else.

if people think companies aren't going to place their product in the best possible light then they're naive.

as others have said, i would only pre-order titles i trust in. anything else is a gamble. even then if i pre-order a game that i was sure was going to meet my expectations and it didn't what right have i to cry foul?

having said all that this doesn't excuse false advertising, and the games industry is unique in the world of entertainment. in other forms of media i may buy an album or dvd and then find i hate it but at least it's fit for purpose. games like Homefront, that was unplayable for the first month after release, are intolerable and there should be mechanisms in place to punish publishers like THQ that release games clearly unfinished. for some consumer rights mean nothing in situations like this. i'm not sure if it's our apathy or the perception that gaming is juvenile.
  • TheRealBadabing 14 Feb 2013 23:06:48 1,329 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Kid_Icarus wrote:
    I think people on this site know naming and shaming those sorts of people isn't necessarily a good idea.
    And that's exactly why we should encourage it.
  • SClaw 14 Feb 2013 23:17:33 826 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I pre-order everything I like the look of. Not just games but books, DVDs... all that sort of stuff I'd piss my money away on randomly when I just see it in the shops (at a stupidly inflated price). It allows me to budget in advance (I never buy anything from a physical shop, so I have a ready list of what's going out when during the month before I even start spending it). Plus, you don't actually pay until dispatch... so I can pretty much cancel it right up until the day before, which is more than enough time to read a few reviews. Pre-ordering or not pre-ordering makes absolutely no difference if you don't actually pay in advance, which you'd be a turnip to do.

Bonus shit and so on makes no difference to me, although when I do actually go all the way and let something come I do get it all. Which is... a bonus...

In fact I don't remember the last time I bought a game which wasn't pre-ordered (Steam sales aside).
  • TheRealBadabing 14 Feb 2013 23:27:27 1,329 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @SClaw I agree that one can get some nice deals by pre-ordering (bullshit bonuses aside) but the problem lies in embargoes that take us right up to shipping dates.

I wonder how many people tried to cancel their orders of A:CM after reading the reviews, only to find it had already gone to "shipping" or "processing". This is not a one off, it happens all the time.
  • Kid_Icarus 14 Feb 2013 23:38:50 555 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    TheRealBadabing wrote:
    Kid_Icarus wrote:
    And that's exactly why we should encourage it.
    It's not worth it when those same people will screw you over if you dare to suggest they might've been unprofessional in some way.

It would be better if we could just praise the good journalism and ignore the dickheads looking for their next free trip.

Edit - You can't really rely on the what the devs and publishers have to say either, they're just after your sale after all.

Edited by Kid_Icarus at 23:45:12 14-02-2013
  • TheRealBadabing 14 Feb 2013 23:56:53 1,329 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I admit that calling it "naming and shaming" is a bit strong. I still can't see why a reputable site like EG could be penalised for releasing embargo dates to the public. Not breaking them, just telling us about them.

Really, who loses out? EG (or any other site) will still get the page hits come review day. The publishers and their PR still get their exclusives if they want them.

Customers are the only ones that lose out with the current system and it's about time someone with a bit of clout did something about it.
  • Shikasama 15 Feb 2013 00:17:40 6,994 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The gaming 'press' are completely beholden to game publishers.

If EA or Activision cut off EG it would have devastating ramifications for their business.
  • TheRealBadabing 15 Feb 2013 00:25:06 1,329 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    And it's vital we maintain that status quo.
  • Syrette 15 Feb 2013 00:31:50 43,772 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Thread is bewildering - I honestly never knew anyone had a problem with pre-ordering... or rather to be more specific, a problem with other people pre-ordering.

Not even being empathetic, calling pre-orderers mugs and morons.

Are you under the impression that everyone pre-orders everything they've got even the slightest interest in, and that they pay for the game the moment they order it (thus locking themselves into a sales contract)? Do you not realise how easy and convenient it is? And how easy it is to cancel a pre-order?

And very few pre-orders are late, so it's a minimal risk worth taking.

I rent 99% of my games for what it's worth, but I can see the benefit in pre-ordering for those that regularly purchase new titles.

Edited by Syrette at 00:32:59 15-02-2013

• riceNpea 15 Feb 2013 01:29:46 592 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    TheRealBadabing wrote:
    @SClaw I agree that one can get some nice deals by pre-ordering (bullshit bonuses aside) but the problem lies in embargoes that take us right up to shipping dates.

I wonder how many people tried to cancel their orders of A:CM after reading the reviews, only to find it had already gone to "shipping" or "processing". This is not a one off, it happens all the time.
    if you don't open it you can still send it back.

i agree with Syrette. this thread is ridiculous. the mock indignation stinks.

no-one is forced to pre-order. pre-orders are easily cancelled. you are well within your rights to return the game unopened in timely fashion if you change your mind. should you pre-order a game that isn't as good as you thought it would be, as long as it was fit for purpose, then perhaps next time you'll show better judgement. blame yourself.

if you want to take issue with how publishers represent their forthcoming products or embargoes they invoke then go right ahead, but berating the option to pre-order is nonsensical and branding those who do as morons is itself moronic.

edit: spelling

Edited by riceNpea at 01:43:46 15-02-2013
  • ecu 15 Feb 2013 01:45:05 77,034 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    Thread is bewildering - I honestly never knew anyone had a problem with pre-ordering... or rather to be more specific, a problem with other people pre-ordering.

Not even being empathetic, calling pre-orderers mugs and morons.

Are you under the impression that everyone pre-orders everything they've got even the slightest interest in, and that they pay for the game the moment they order it (thus locking themselves into a sales contract)? Do you not realise how easy and convenient it is? And how easy it is to cancel a pre-order?

And very few pre-orders are late, so it's a minimal risk worth taking.

I rent 99% of my games for what it's worth, but I can see the benefit in pre-ordering for those that regularly purchase new titles.
    Yeah that's what I'm thinking. Why does anyone care if someone else pre-orders? If you don't agree with pre-ordering, then don't do it.

Unless the talking point is that pre-order bonuses are somehow damaging the final product? Because I don't think that's the case. I really don't see the issue here.
  • PenguinJim 15 Feb 2013 02:39:24 5,908 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I like people pre-ordering. They pay more so I pay less! :)

Still can't quite see it, myself. If a game is quite cheap to pre-order, I'd expect it to drop in price quite quickly. If a game is quite expensive to pre-order, I'd definitely wait for a price drop.

I pre-ordered AC3 last year because a friend of mine LOVES that series (even had mine sent to his house in case his didn't arrive on release day). The reviews were looking positive - EG even gave it a 9! But the EG forum thread turned out to have far more accurate assessments of the game a week after release. And neither my Game Collection copy nor his Amazon copy arrived on release day anyway. REGRET.

(I think my pre-order before that was The Witcher 2, which had all sorts of nice stuff in an allegedly limited edition pack and cost 20 including international delivery, which was nice)
  • Deleted user 15 February 2013 02:47:39
    The anti-pre-order brigade genuinely baffle me a bit. Mostly because the ones I've encountered elsewhere will point and laugh at anyone who preorders a title they're interested in, dismissing them as an idiot with more money than sense, yet at the same time sing the praises of Kickstarter and happily throw their money at anything that looks even vaguely quirky.

Hypocrites to a man, they were.
  • Mola_Ram 15 Feb 2013 02:58:41 7,710 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I generally don't pre-order unless I think a game might sell out quickly. Or if the pre-order bonuses are good. They rarely are good enough for me to justify the extra cost.

But generally I support the enterprise. There's nothing really wrong with it imo.
  • bad09 15 Feb 2013 02:59:21 6,008 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @meme

Good point. Kickstarter is a strange one. I love the idea of offing publishers but I just can't do it myself, the thought of putting money down for something not even made seems just too weird and silly to my brain. Some do say they have an understanding that they are funding development (with the game as a "reward" ) as opposed to "buying" a game but I wonder how many people doing it think like that.

Edited by bad09 at 03:01:11 15-02-2013
  • PenguinJim 15 Feb 2013 03:18:54 5,908 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'd like to fund a Kickstarter, but that's quite different in my mind - more like gambling than buying. I'd still like to do it (haven't quite been tempted by a particular project yet), but it really would be a spin of the wheel.

As for general pre-ordering, sometimes games do get more and more expensive as time goes on, so it's best to get in at the start.
  • bad09 15 Feb 2013 03:27:12 6,008 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Jesus that's 9 quid on Amazon :eek:

mind you it could always be "on sale", love the sale price error though :)

Edited by bad09 at 03:33:21 15-02-2013
  • guts 15 Feb 2013 09:22:59 1,690 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Started reading the thread but running out if time as this post comes to you during a 'comfort break'.
    I pre order for the following reasons:
    Special offer/extras exclusive to pre order.
    I get home and the game us waiting for me. No having to go out if my way on the way home from work to go and find somewhere that the price is good, the game is still in stock and the eyes aren't too long.
    When it comes to big titles like gears if war and gta the supermarkets tend to have a little price war but normally you can find an online retailer that will despatch for day of release (sometimes the day day before) for maybe only a couple of quid more. Takes all the hassle out of it. Some will price match too and you pay when it is despatched, not when you reserve the order.
    I do only tend to pre order the big titles though.

Whassamattayou, whyoulookasosad, itsanicaplace, itsanotsobad, heyshaddupayourface.

• PenguinJim 15 Feb 2013 10:07:38 5,908 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    bad09 wrote:
    Jesus that's 9 quid on Amazon :eek:

mind you it could always be "on sale", love the sale price error though :)
    They fixed it. 70.85 was obviously a typo. ;)
  • megalomaniacs4u 15 Feb 2013 10:13:28 65 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    yeah, biggest reason for preordering is getting a cheap price. Sometimes it will be the cheapest price you'll see for the game for up to 3 months after release. Generally if the price drops quickly it either didn't sell or it stinks...
  • Mr-Brett 15 Feb 2013 10:15:06 12,828 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If you really want a game, have plenty of disposable income and are confident in developer then I see no real problem with pre-ordering. It may not be entirely logical but we do a lot of things that aren't logical.

Personally my disposable income is a lot less at the moment, in recent years I've bought games on release or pre-ordered and the game has dropped to half the price within a fortnight and I have a sizeable backlog to get through. So I've stopped pre-ordering or buying near release, Halo 4 was the last one and that was the first in a while.

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• PenguinJim 15 Feb 2013 10:16:41 5,908 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    megalomaniacs4u wrote:
    yeah, biggest reason for preordering is getting a cheap price. Sometimes it will be the cheapest price you'll see for the game for up to 3 months after release. Generally if the price drops quickly it either didn't sell or it stinks...
    What?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
  • PenguinJim 15 Feb 2013 10:16:52 5,908 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 15 February 2013 10:31:20
    anthonypappa wrote:
    don't even know why pre-ordering is a thing.

i "pre-order" a few days before the game is out and i know it's a must buy.

but what are the reasons ordering months in advance? or even before you know the game is any good?

is it out of giddiness? stupid practice imo.

pre-ordering should be to ensure that you book your copy... but when have stocks ever ran out of a game you wanted, across the entire internet?!
    Companies want money before release and get as many sales as they can before anything bad is said about the game. Only before release do they have full control of the hype and marketing.

They give away things/discounts on pre orders to encourage this.
  • Mr-Brett 15 Feb 2013 10:31:58 12,828 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    anthonypappa wrote:
    don't even know why pre-ordering is a thing.

i "pre-order" a few days before the game is out and i know it's a must buy.

but what are the reasons ordering months in advance? or even before you know the game is any good?

is it out of giddiness? stupid practice imo.

pre-ordering should be to ensure that you book your copy... but when have stocks ever ran out of a game you wanted, across the entire internet?!
    Last week with Ni No Kuni.

It's far from the normal situation but I pre-ordered Battlefield Bad Company 2 for 25ish on 360 months before it came out and it didn't drop to that price post-release for at least 6 months, maybe a year.

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• kinky_mong 15 Feb 2013 10:32:47 10,465 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I preorder games because I get them the day before release and for cheaper than it would have been to travel to one of the ever decreasing number of stores full of the great unwashed.

Apparently I'm the moron for doing that. Oh internet, you so crazy!

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• Page

of 5 First / Last