Need some help with an application as was fired from my last job.

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • pacrifice 14 Feb 2013 17:40:14 1,079 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Here goes.

I worked at a call centre and their late policy was that if you're late by even a minute, you're given a late form with which, if you accrue three, in a three month period, it goes onto an investigation etc

I already had late forms previous. I didn't have enough to trigger an investigation.

When I were running late by approx 2 mins, I text a friend to sign me into the system to avoid a late form. They caught on, investigated, dismissed under gross misconduct.

I regret what I did, went to an appeal, that didn't work out. Didn't just lose the job, lost some friends too.

So now I'm trying to move forward and I'm completing an application form. I've googled and the net says to be honest (which I'll do of course) but in the space where you're to enter for leaving, I'm thinking "a conduct issue which lead to me having to leave the business".... the net says I could put down something like "contract terminated - can discuss at interview" or just leaving it blank.

I'm screwed but wtf?!?! Yesterday I had an interview, and they absolutely murdered me in there... telling me how i clearly pre-meditated and i could've thought about the trouble I'd be getting into... I told that guy that he made good points, he's right in what he says and it has been what i've been thinking about... and then he stopped talking... it's what i can expect from now I guess.

What do you think i should do about the application form?
  • neilka 14 Feb 2013 17:44:00 15,955 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I bet you regret that wank now.

A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

• THFourteen 14 Feb 2013 17:45:36 33,431 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just tell them you were terminated for being late but you've learned your lesson and are always on time thesedays. Don't mention the falsification. It's close enough to the truth.

And FFS stop being late for work, it's not difficult to get out of bed on time.
  • Deleted user 14 February 2013 17:47:38
    How long were you there? If it was only for a short period of time, you might as well leave it off the CV. Being unemployed for a bit is better than being fired very quickly.
  • pacrifice 14 Feb 2013 17:48:28 1,079 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @meme

4 years.
  • mrpon 14 Feb 2013 17:48:30 28,920 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Where did you work, lastminute.com?

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Deleted user 14 February 2013 17:50:13
    Ah. Can't really leave that off the CV, then. Yeah, do what THFourteen said, just say it was terminated for lateness. You can mention it was for literally minutes and that you've improved since then. Don't mention the fraud.
  • Fake_Blood 14 Feb 2013 17:50:44 4,211 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Gansosleftpeg wrote:
    LIE and LIE again.
    This.
  • El_MUERkO 14 Feb 2013 17:53:00 17,033 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Murder Suicide.
  • kinky_mong 14 Feb 2013 17:55:36 10,288 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    And FFS stop being late for work, it's not difficult to get out of bed on time.
    Bollocks, at this time of year it's a Herculean struggle to leave a nice warm bed to stand on a cold train platform with the chance of the train being cancelled due to a bit of frost.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• mattigan 14 Feb 2013 18:03:43 1,429 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not as big a struggle as you are having getting a new job now though eh?
  • kalel 14 Feb 2013 18:06:21 87,688 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    At some point I realised that as fun as staying up late and gaming/watching films/whatever is, actually going to bed earlier means not only can I happily get up earlier, but my entire working day is easier, and I actually get motivated and even enjoy my work, and hence enjoy my life more.

Think it's a growing up thing, but yeah, highly recommend it.
  • pacrifice 14 Feb 2013 18:13:41 1,079 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Some people are assuming and they're being reasonable in that but it wasn't an issue of getting out of bed.

I'd wake up at 7, do some exercise, leave at 8 for the track, and run. I'd get back home, clean up, then set off for work. Sometimes I was slow and that's when I'd rush to get to work on time or texting mate.

The running is in part to being diet controlled, diabetic type 2. Still not on medication but Kalel, you're right. I always aim to get a solid 8 hours of sleep. I function better, purr like a kitten.

Even in my unemployment, I'm gaming less and less. Last top game I played was Dishonored and that's when I was employed.
  • nickthegun 14 Feb 2013 18:15:55 59,937 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Then you should maybe have gotten up at 6.30. Lifes full of pacrifices.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• kalel 14 Feb 2013 18:16:47 87,688 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah I was kinda just sayin', not really aiming it at anyone - kinkymong if anything.

Anyway, think you've had some good advice. Don't lie, but I think you can be careful with the truth. Just one job will be enough to never have to mention leaving this one again, so maybe do some temp work or something just to get over the hump?
  • puddleduck 14 Feb 2013 18:16:48 1,854 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What Kalel said. Too many people look at their employers like they have some kind of right to get given money. Be on time, seriously, it's not very hard.

When you're going to need the reference due to working there for four years, I can't really understand why you'd fuck around like that. With the way the job market is these days, everyone is unfortunately replaceable.

Good luck though. I don't think legally they're allowed to give you a bad reference though? Maybe some lawyer types can confirm that?

Edited by puddleduck at 18:18:11 14-02-2013
  • puddleduck 14 Feb 2013 18:20:41 1,854 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Also, yeah, find some temp work as quick as you can. Can then at least say you left this job due to cost cutting measures on behalf of the company or a desire to test yourself further etc... Then you won't need the reference and it'll be a consistent 4 year role you've occupied.
  • Deleted user 14 February 2013 18:24:13
    Past employers can legally give the reasons why you were fired in a reference, so best not to put them down as one if possible.

Edited by meme at 18:24:36 14-02-2013
  • FWB 14 Feb 2013 18:24:24 44,583 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Indeed you can't give a bad ref. the least you can do is confirm the person worked there. That's it. However, hat itself will send alarms off to any new employer.

Not going to go on about the tardiness. Is done now. But sounds like you are in a shitty situation.
  • pacrifice 14 Feb 2013 18:29:13 1,079 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    Not going to go on about the tardiness. Is done now. But sounds like you are in a shitty situation.
    Amen.
  • jonsaan 14 Feb 2013 18:32:20 25,352 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just say you left as you want to be more challeneged in your working life. The have to give you a reference and won't say you were terminated, just that you worked there from X to Y.

FCUTA!

• jabberwoky 14 Feb 2013 18:32:48 522 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Whatever you do, don't tell the truth. Employers are risk averse and even if the interviewer himself thinks you should have a break, you won't get one, there will always be someone else without your issue next in the queue. Quite simply, you need a clean sheet.

You have to be streetwise, find some way of not having to put it if you possibly can.
  • FWB 14 Feb 2013 18:36:30 44,583 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    One of my mates was struggling to get vetted. A past work weren't getting back to his new one. They eventually asked for a few personal references, including me. Not sure if that is an avenue or not.
  • RyanDS 14 Feb 2013 18:40:49 9,376 posts
    Seen 1 second
    Registered 6 years ago
    Lie.

It's the only way.

Reason for leaving: Round of redundancies.

If it comes up in the interview (which will be before they request a reference) simply explain the policy, and say as you were 2 minutes late you autmatically got kicked into the redundancy pool.
  • Dirtbox 14 Feb 2013 18:42:33 78,209 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've been fired from a couple of jobs, I just left them off my CV and replaced them with freelance periods.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• MadCaddy13 14 Feb 2013 18:52:37 1,927 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I did that when i worked at macdonalds a good few years ago. My mate told me to clock him in, so I did. He went upstairs and chilled as I was getting my ass kicked downstairs coz they saw me clock him in :p. I got suspended with pay for around 4 days then they let me back. Spose I was lucky!
  • Khanivor 14 Feb 2013 19:06:32 40,772 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You should probably have laid off the painkillers :)
  • Load_2.0 14 Feb 2013 19:10:43 19,279 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Lie.
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous