Dongle gaming

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • king26 13 Feb 2013 15:07:41 546 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Hi I'm in the army and am currently based in Tidworth, not sure if I'm aloud wi-fi to be installed yet. I've got a PS3 and want to get on PSN. Is this possible via a 3 mobile dongle? Thanks in advance.
  • quadfather 13 Feb 2013 15:11:51 11,814 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I managed to get my ps3 up and running once by connecting to my phone's 3g signal (vodafone) and it works fine. Should be the same for a dongle, I'd have thought

If it's a phone you use, you might wanna keep the phone charging while it's up and running - sucks the battery life

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Fake_Blood 13 Feb 2013 15:14:57 4,059 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It won't work if you plug it into the ps3, it might work with a wifi router that has an usb port. But in any case, the latency over 3G is so high that it is unusable for online gaming.
  • Inertia 13 Feb 2013 15:15:46 676 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You can but you will need an ethernet cable between your laptop and PS3 and then go to properties, in windows for example, in network connections and tick share connection via ethernet.

Performance is very patchy though for online gaming but if you want to download something then it would be fine.
  • tonyferrino 13 Feb 2013 15:21:31 178 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yes, it works - I've used a Mifi and an Iphone tethered to a PS3 and an Xbox in barracks. Depends on your signal, obviously, and make sure you have an unlimited policy or you monitor your data. You won't have perfect gaming by any means but it's ok, and at least you can get demos/PSN etc.

Do you have any internet connections installed in your accommodation already? I have Wifinity here in Colchester and it's actually really good - I pay 25 for a 20Mb/s connection - that's up AND down, solid as a rock, and it's got no limits or fair-use policy. Worth looking into what's available at your barracks.
  • Deleted user 13 February 2013 15:38:19
    @king26 It is possible but you need a computer to share the connection. 3G speeds suck balls at peak times so take that into account.
  • monty2k 13 Feb 2013 16:42:12 241 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I had a similar problem when I was living in temporary accomodation for a few months whilst I looked for a house in France.

I ended up connecting my PS3 to a MiFi 3G hub (available from 3 here). I was able to use the PSN and download patches and DLC. Certain games like CoD: MW3 worked fine over the 3G connection. Other games like Battlefield 3 lagged to hell no matter what server I joined.

It was the cheapest option I could find at the time (august 2012) and you can get it on a rolling contract (so you can cancel anytime). Another advantage of buying the hub is that it's easy to use (it's exactly like a normal wifi router) and you can have up to 5 devices connected (so no swapping the dongle between your PS3 and laptop/PC/iPad all the time). One idea might be to buy it and then share the cost between your mates in the barracks as they could use the hub too. Additionally it also works abroad although the roaming prices are extortionate!

Before buying anything though, I'd recommend checking the 3G coverage for your barracks here. I'd definitely advise a 3G hub over a dongle any day.

Hope this helps!

Edited by monty2k at 16:50:27 13-02-2013
  • graysonavich 13 Feb 2013 16:50:50 7,309 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Surely all those game updates will just rape your download limit.

SUPPORT YOU ARE TROOPS.
  • king26 17 Feb 2013 12:16:01 546 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Cheers for that guys. Turns out my next door neighbour has wi-fi so I'm squared.

Edited by king26 at 12:20:00 17-02-2013
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next