Are you proud to be English? Page 4

• Page

of 12 First / Last

• Deleted user 11 February 2013 12:49:31
    BritishBlue1 wrote:
    @Pepsipop

I'm not really proud, per se, I take an interest in history and what achievements, faults and evil Britain has been involved in but I don't project what my ancestors did onto myself like the mongoloids you see on YouTube: "Us Brits invented computers/civilisation/sports. Hur hur". Isaac Newton said "If I have seen further it is by standing on ye sholders of Giants". We in the West stand here today by taking advantage of the struggles of other people not because our civilisation is exceptional in some way.

What I'm trying to say is I have a deep suspicion of nationalism/patriotism, history has demonstrated that when a particular society or civilisation starts thinking they are exceptional and special and above all others then they start thinking they are entitled to do anything they please which can lead to very bad things. So no, I am not proud of my country but I am proud of humanity's achievements.
    Of course we are different. We are all humans but our cultures changed and grow in different ways. There are small differences between races.
    It is not by magic that there was a British empire. It was not over night luck. It was generations of development and other events.
  • MetalDog 11 Feb 2013 12:49:59 23,920 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @BritishBlue1

Always worth bearing
    this poem
    in mind, I reckon. No matter how mighty and glorious a nation thinks it is, none of them will stand forever.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Deleted user 11 February 2013 12:51:06
    Deckard1 wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Deckard1 wrote:
    My mother is Jamican and my dad is from Lithuania but I was born here so I consider myself English, and yeah I'm proud of this country. We've got a pretty good track record with winning wars and stuff and there's Hugh Grant. I believe we also invented the piano.
    My dad's family are from Lithuania!

/high five
    I kind of made that up to make me sound more interesting. My mother is from Newcastle and my dad is from...... Newcastle.
    I admit I had my suspicions, just couldn't believe you were half Jamaican.
  • Deleted user 11 February 2013 12:51:18
    sajasanman wrote:
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:

I do get nationalistic in forums on the odd occasion when English people are flamed, I guess nationalism is a by product of the human condition to varying degrees.
    I suppose it is to a degree - not neccessarily even nationalism. It goes down to a sense of community and place. Of course, hopefully any rational thinking person can see it's extreme rubbish. It's self image for the stupid, with overtones of entitlement and prejudice. Proud of what, being born in a certain country, in a certain area? Proud of the dice rolled. Grow up.
    Heh 'grow up'. You've got to my core as a person from two lines of text, I'm clearly dealing with a wiser being!

Nationalism IMO is born out of the same sentiment that encourages us to value the notion of the family.
  • MetalDog 11 Feb 2013 12:51:59 23,920 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Boab wrote:
    How many digs has MetalDog had at Scotland so far
    If by 'digs' you mean a single aspect I wish wasn't there - two.

Many more at England, you sensitive little flower.

• sport 11 Feb 2013 12:53:58 12,811 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wow, we've got 1 Jew and 1 Black on this forum, AND THEY'RE BOTH FROM LITHUANIA!!!
  • JuanKerr 11 Feb 2013 12:58:03 36,445 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    BritishBlue1 wrote:
    first they were born a Human rather than a slug or ferret
    Most humans are wankers. I'd rather be a dog - don't have to work, you can sleep all day if you fancy it, and go for nice walks every day. And you can lick your own genitals.
  • Deleted user 11 February 2013 12:59:36
    Just the two, well done.
  • Bremenacht 11 Feb 2013 13:02:47 19,663 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Deckard1 wrote:
    My mother is Jamican and my dad is from Lithuania but I was born here so I consider myself English, and yeah I'm proud of this country. We've got a pretty good track record with winning wars and stuff and there's Hugh Grant. I believe we also invented the piano.
    My dad's family are from Lithuania!

/high five
    I kind of made that up to make me sound more interesting. My mother is from Newcastle and my dad is from...... Newcastle.
    :'D
  • MetalDog 11 Feb 2013 13:02:58 23,920 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Boab wrote:
    Just the two, well done.
    Do you really think Scotland is above criticism of any sort?

• SClaw 11 Feb 2013 13:03:53 826 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    BritishBlue1 wrote:
    Most humans are wankers. I'd rather be a dog - don't have to work, you can sleep all day if you fancy it, and go for nice walks every day. And you can lick your own genitals.
    And humans have to pick up your shit, which you can just leave wherever you like.
  • Deleted user 11 February 2013 13:04:08
    No but you are nothing if not predictable.
  • LeoliansBro 11 Feb 2013 13:05:45 44,957 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is it not enough to be proud to be Scottish without being defensive about it? Almost as if you're aware there's only a few things to be proud about. Obviously I know that isn't true of Scotland, but that's how it comes across.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• MetalDog 11 Feb 2013 13:06:15 23,920 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Boab wrote:
    No but you are nothing if not predictable.
    Consistent is the word you're looking for ;)

• neilka 11 Feb 2013 13:06:33 16,532 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    BritishBlue1 wrote:
    Or in ecosses's case some kind of hybrid of the two.

BAAANG!!!!! EXPLOTION!!!!!

• Deleted user 11 February 2013 13:08:46
    Guess turns out to be oddly accurate and I'm being defensive about blob of mountains I don't give a fuck about. Yeah jog on.
  • Deleted user 11 February 2013 13:11:28
    Troll
  • Deleted user 11 February 2013 13:11:42
    Great soundtrack. Infact..../ puts it on.

Mel Gibson loves England. Braveheart and the patriot in a row, both incredibly false accounts on history. For one William Wallace was a cold blooded murderer. Hollywood :)

Edited by Pepsipop at 13:12:13 11-02-2013
  • mcmonkeyplc 11 Feb 2013 13:12:33 39,569 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Proud of the accomplishments of Britain. Without Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. England wouldn't have done very much in the world.

Need to get your own back yard in order to take on the world.

There are times I'm proud to be British and then there are times when I despair.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• LeoliansBro 11 Feb 2013 13:13:19 44,957 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    Great soundtrack. Infact..../ puts it on.

Mel Gibson loves England. Braveheart and the patriot in a row, both incredibly false accounts on history. For one William Wallace was a cold blooded murderer. Hollywood :)
    Oddly that side of things is the more accurate. It's the usurping of the English Royal line that's more of a concern.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• MetalDog 11 Feb 2013 13:14:47 23,920 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I was born in Germany =D

• Deleted user 11 February 2013 13:14:59
    Being Scottish and proud is a good thing. Being super defensive and abusive to the English half the time isn't.
  • Deleted user 11 February 2013 13:16:33
    MetalDog wrote:
    I was born in Germany =D
    Nazi!!
    Love the Germans, strong country. Have a few close German friends.
  • ZuluHero 11 Feb 2013 13:17:03 4,317 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    THE LANDMASS I WAS BORN ON IS BETTER THAN THE LANDMASS YOU WERE BORN ON
    Well our landmass has been around longer, So it must be better ;)
  • RyanDS 11 Feb 2013 13:18:23 9,856 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm proud to not be pepsipop if that is relevant.
  • Page

of 12 First / Last