Are you proud to be English? Page 3

• Page

of 12 First / Last

• neilka 11 Feb 2013 12:25:00 15,644 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    graysonavich wrote:
    Aimed at raven really, she seems to flip flop between meaning British and English each paragraph.
    She's American
  • neilka 11 Feb 2013 12:25:51 15,644 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    the_dudefather wrote:
    ENGERLAND!!!!

*kicks over wheelie bin*
    /carefully picks up bin and tuts passive-aggressively
  • Deleted user 11 February 2013 12:27:06
    Got Jerusalem playing now.

The English soccer players should watch the English rugby players for tips on the national anthem. The rugby men are all singing full voice with arms round each other. The soccer players look like they are day dreaming about which Ferrari to get next week.
  • kalel 11 Feb 2013 12:28:20 86,329 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    Say want you want about Americans but at least they love their country and believe in the positives.
    It's a good thing, but also perversely at the heart of most things wrong with the country. Everything from their meddling foreign policy to their attitude towards guns is rooted in their deep belief that America rules.

I think I agree that I'm glad I'm English more than I'm proud. I think on the scale of places where it's good to be from, England is pretty high up, in terms of the chances of me living a reasonably pleasant and happy life. So in that sense I consider myself quite lucky.

Not sure about "pride" as such. I'm capable of feeling pride in my nation, but generally my identity is made up of many complex elements, only one of which is being English, and so it's rare that I feel a genuine sense of nationalistic pride. When I do it's usually media induced - the Olympics for example.
  • kalel 11 Feb 2013 12:28:42 86,329 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What the fuck is soccer?
  • TarickStonefire 11 Feb 2013 12:29:50 2,897 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm not English, I'm British. Is this only for English people, then?

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• Ka-blamo 11 Feb 2013 12:32:08 7,287 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm glad I'm British, If I had to choose my nationality I think I'd choose British.

It's shit but good, or good but shit. It's weird.

For instance the weather is shit, but it makes us appreaciate the good weather days. If it was sunny all the time our holidays wouldn't be as good.

The history I really do appreaciate it makes me feel infinitely proud and lucky when you can go to any town or city or village and there'll be a blue plaque somewhere saying this is where shakespere was born, here is where Tolkien drank, here is where eccles cakes were invented, this is Darwins house, this is where Newton went to school etc the list is endless and inspires me and lifts me.

'But its a fluke you were born here, if you were born in Delhi you'd be proud to be Indian and be inspired by Gandhi, I hate being English you must too blah blah'

This rhetoric annoys me, I understand it's a backlash to the people that are proud AT others(nationalists) I hate that too. But your opinions can't be soley formed in a reaction to idiots.

What I do hate about the British(not all) is the bitter or jealous or aggressive treatment of others that are finacially comfortable, or successful, or good looking, or have ambition. Or are a different class.

We don't seem to be able to be happy for anyone else. Just an observation.

Anyway, for all our failings or triumphs I think we can all agree, thank fuck we're not French :)

Edited by Ka-blamo at 12:34:34 11-02-2013
  • Armoured_Bear 11 Feb 2013 12:32:45 10,266 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    Most of the accomplishments are English. It's not like the other countries always love to be in the union.
    Yes the union is stronger because of Scotland and Wales no question.
    Not to say the English are stronger individually but the English have always been the power of the union ever since it began.
    What accomplishments are these?

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• MetalDog 11 Feb 2013 12:33:35 23,708 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @DaM
    I go up there time to time to visit the Scottish half of the family and so far, without fail, I have run into rampant nationalism somewhere down the line (sometimes from my own relatives). Not during discussions about anything national either, just out of the blue 'English people suck, Scottish people rule' bullshit. Maybe having a souf lunden accent brings it out in some people, heh.

Of course the gibberish Pepsi is spouting about England being the prime source of awesome in the union is equally lame nonsense and I find myself kind of hoping that independence fully happens just so that each country will be forced to pull its head out of its arse and appreciate what it's lost.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Deleted user 11 February 2013 12:33:58
    It's a difficult one these days because there's a fine line being patriotitism and jingoistic racism.

Putting a St George's cross in your window is a passive aggressive fuck you to anyone not 'proper English'.
  • Rusty_M 11 Feb 2013 12:34:27 4,577 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm British, and not particularly proud of it, although not ashamed either. I'm not English and I'm somewhat irked by how interchangeable English and British seem to be for many people. They are not!

One is part of the other.

Personally, I think the world could be a better place if there was just one huge country with quite a lot of devolution.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• kalel 11 Feb 2013 12:34:29 86,329 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Pepsipop wrote:
    Most of the accomplishments are English. It's not like the other countries always love to be in the union.
    Not to say the English are stronger individually but the English have always been the power of the union ever since it began.
    Maginalising the Scottish has to be up there.
  • Chopsen 11 Feb 2013 12:34:48 15,717 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    sport wrote:
    So what the hell are you actually asking, revan?

"Why are the English just, ya'know, better?"
    We had a strong navy, and weren't afraid to use it. Plus you could take the piss with slavery and genocide back in the day like nobody's business.
  • Deckard1 11 Feb 2013 12:34:50 27,143 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    My mother is Jamican and my dad is from Lithuania but I was born here so I consider myself English, and yeah I'm proud of this country. We've got a pretty good track record with winning wars and stuff and there's Hugh Grant. I believe we also invented the piano.
  • Tonka 11 Feb 2013 12:36:13 20,011 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You should be, you invented TCoE!

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 11 Feb 2013 12:36:20 6,654 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The Tories in power make me cringe when they speak on an international stage. I think their perception of the UK is 100 years out of date and very pompous.

I do get nationalistic in forums on the odd occasion when English people are flamed, I guess nationalism is a by product of the human condition to varying degrees.
  • Deleted user 11 February 2013 12:39:00
    My grandfather was Scottish and immensely proud. I liked that about him. He also didn't sit around and slag off the English but then he was in British armed forces.

Edited by Pepsipop at 12:39:35 11-02-2013
  • SparkyMarky81 11 Feb 2013 12:40:35 562 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @HairyArse

I think that is a result of sustained effort on the part of New Labour and leftie Guardian reader types who have made people think that way.

In reality, the flag could be there for any number of perfectly valid reasons.

A flag means what you want it to mean. To some it will be a source of pride, others a symbol of oppression.

Edited by SparkyMarky81 at 12:40:43 11-02-2013
  • DUFFMAN5 11 Feb 2013 12:40:53 14,393 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Proud does not come into, I feel very lucky about the fact I was not born in a third world or war torn country, or deeply religious country for that matter.

Total fluke* where you are born and what life hands you because of it

*as in going back to were my/our ancestors decided to live and breed ;)

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 12:47:42 11-02-2013

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• kalel 11 Feb 2013 12:42:12 86,329 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    My mother is Jamican and my dad is from Lithuania but I was born here so I consider myself English, and yeah I'm proud of this country. We've got a pretty good track record with winning wars and stuff and there's Hugh Grant. I believe we also invented the piano.
    My dad's family are from Lithuania!

/high five
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 11 Feb 2013 12:42:49 6,654 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah, in that context I also feel bloody lucky
  • BritishBlue1 11 Feb 2013 12:42:54 128 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Pepsipop

I'm not really proud, per se, I take an interest in history and what achievements, faults and evil Britain has been involved in but I don't project what my ancestors did onto myself like the mongoloids you see on YouTube: "Us Brits invented computers/civilisation/sports. Hur hur". Isaac Newton said "If I have seen further it is by standing on ye sholders of Giants". We in the West stand here today by taking advantage of the struggles of other people not because our civilisation is exceptional in some way.

What I'm trying to say is I have a deep suspicion of nationalism/patriotism, history has demonstrated that when a particular society or civilisation starts thinking they are exceptional and special and above all others then they start thinking they are entitled to do anything they please which can lead to very bad things. So no, I am not proud of my country but I am proud of humanity's achievements.
  • Chopsen 11 Feb 2013 12:42:59 15,717 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Maybe you're cousins!
  • LeoliansBro 11 Feb 2013 12:43:22 43,227 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Pepsipop wrote:
    Maginalising the Scottish has to be up there.
    Marginalising, subsidising, humouring, tolerating.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Deckard1 11 Feb 2013 12:45:54 27,143 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Deckard1 wrote:

/high five
    I kind of made that up to make me sound more interesting. My mother is from Newcastle and my dad is from...... Newcastle.

Edited by Deckard1 at 12:46:32 11-02-2013
  • Chopsen 11 Feb 2013 12:47:02 15,717 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Newcastle, Lithuania?
  • BritishBlue1 11 Feb 2013 12:47:24 128 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Proud does not come into, I feel very lucky about the fact I was not born in a third world or war torn country, or deeply religious country for that matter.
    When you put it like that, I agree. I think everyone who was born in Britain can consider themselves very lucky.
    I sometimes wonder why many people put money on the lottery, they've already won the greatest lottery twice; first they were born a Human rather than a slug or ferret then they were born into a prosperous country where you're very unlikely to starve to death or be murdered by roving armies. We really are lucky fuckers.
  • kalel 11 Feb 2013 12:48:28 86,329 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Deckard1 wrote:

/high five
    I kind of made that up to make me sound more interesting. My mother is from Newcastle and my dad is from...... Newcastle.
    Oh.

The divide becomes wider still.
  • Deleted user 11 February 2013 12:49:28
    How many digs has MetalDog had at Scotland so far
  • Page

of 12 First / Last