Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• imamazed 11 Feb 2013 11:55:26 5,530 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    sport wrote:
    Problem over here is the red tops have masked blatant jingoism with "pride".
    That's been the case for 150 years. Look at the origin of the word jingoism!

I'm happy to be proud to be British and not be fazed by the negative connotations some have about that. Just because it can be used to justify racism and anti-immigration sentiments, doesn't mean it has to. That said, it would be nice if it didn't at all.
  • Whizzo 11 Feb 2013 11:56:23 43,061 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Pride comes before a fall, many of these certainly do as well unfortunately from personal experience.

This space left intentionally blank.

• craigy Staff 11 Feb 2013 11:56:48 7,567 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @LeoliansBro Probably, yeah. It must be pretty common for people to live vicariously through their kids. I'm acutely aware that my impending kid should not become a reason to stop striving to achieve things on a personal level.
  • MetalDog 11 Feb 2013 11:56:59 23,697 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    We should be proud of pretty much any human being (collectively or individually) when they act well and be critical when they do not. You shouldn't be proud of your country (or your kids) when its acting like an arse.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• mal 11 Feb 2013 11:58:48 22,419 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm glad I'm english, but proud? Not so much. I guess it's true the country does punch above its weight, although a lot of that is residual wealth from years of conquest and slavery (although you could say that about most of the first world, to be fair).

We are culturally quite a strong nation. I'm proud of a lot of the music produced here, and proud of the BBC and of our theatres and playwrights. But proud of the national concept? Seems to me we've done more in spite of it, not because of it.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• SparkyMarky81 11 Feb 2013 12:00:33 565 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    craigy wrote:
    Possibly controversial: flag waving is for people who don't have enough personal achievements in own their lives to be proud about, so they seek esteem and validation from wide-reaching and completely random areas such as nationality or region of birth.
    Would you say the same about being proud of your children, for instance?
    But parents do have some contribution to the achievements of their kids in a lot of instances so I don't think that is the same thing.
  • Mr-Brett 11 Feb 2013 12:02:23 12,748 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Proud? no, glad that it's one of the safer and less extreme places to live? sure. That's got nothing to do with pride though, pride should be associated with accomplishments not geography and a society that's the result of millions of different events over thousands of years by millions of people you have not even met.

Portable view - Never forget.

• Deleted user 11 February 2013 12:05:03
    What is it that has made the English this way over other nations? Perhaps being a small island that was conquered numerous times and so became a mixture of dominatant races?
    There must be reasons, no other nation has shaped todays world as much and we are one of the smallest. America don't forget was born from England. Sure there were millions from Ireland, Holland etc but it was still predominantly English/British.
  • CosmicFuzz 11 Feb 2013 12:05:25 23,780 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Scotland is way cooler than England, bitches.

Episode 5 of our gaming podcast Open Source is a Gamescom Special. Check it out here!

• LeoliansBro 11 Feb 2013 12:05:56 43,672 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    We should be proud of pretty much any human being (collectively or individually) when they act well and be critical when they do not. You shouldn't be proud of your country (or your kids) when its acting like an arse.
    This, although I'd note that being proud of another country risks sounding intensely patronising.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• LeoliansBro 11 Feb 2013 12:06:16 43,672 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Colder. the word is 'colder'.

• Deckard1 11 Feb 2013 12:06:32 27,604 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Colder. It's colder.

Hush you ponce

• Deckard1 11 Feb 2013 12:07:03 27,604 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ah 16 seconds.

Hush you ponce

• graysonavich 11 Feb 2013 12:07:46 7,320 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Why do English people find it so hard to differentiate between British and English?
  • LeoliansBro 11 Feb 2013 12:08:40 43,672 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Eh?

I don't see myself as British, if that's what you mean?

• graysonavich 11 Feb 2013 12:09:41 7,320 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Aimed at raven really, she seems to flip flop between meaning British and English each paragraph.
  • graysonavich 11 Feb 2013 12:11:13 7,320 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    If Andy Murray was on a treadmill would his car heat up quicker if he was British?
  • MetalDog 11 Feb 2013 12:12:05 23,697 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    As a half-scot, imo this sort of thing makes Scotland very uncool, which is a pity as it has quite a lot going for it as a country once you shoulder your way past the rampant nationalism.

• MetalDog 11 Feb 2013 12:15:08 23,697 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    This, although I'd note that being proud of another country risks sounding intensely patronising.
    Well, really I mean proud of good acts, which isn't really the same of being proud of a lump of land. Love would probably be a better term for the lands themselves, but I would fall in the camp of loving Britain as a landmass, rather than just England.

• Deleted user 11 February 2013 12:16:28
    Most of the accomplishments are English. It's not like the other countries always love to be in the union.
    Yes the union is stronger because of Scotland and Wales no question.
    Not to say the English are stronger individually but the English have always been the power of the union ever since it began.
  • Dirtbox 11 Feb 2013 12:18:18 77,656 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The more I travel the more my sense of national pride grows. Especially when I go to America. Much less so when I'm in Europe though.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Deleted user 11 February 2013 12:18:38
    Yes, the union would be weaker if it was just England in it.

Pepsipop with some more amazing insight.
  • Load_2.0 11 Feb 2013 12:19:33 19,115 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I love it here, you keep importing the talent from Europe so there are loads of fit birds and you get to rip the piss out of wops, frogs, krauts and gypo's with gay abandon whilst maintaining a weird sense of superiority over everyone but especially the yanks.
  • the_dudefather 11 Feb 2013 12:19:37 9,266 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ENGERLAND!!!!

*kicks over wheelie bin*

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• graysonavich 11 Feb 2013 12:20:45 7,320 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You might want to re-read your list and do a bit more research then tbh.
  • Zizoo 11 Feb 2013 12:21:22 8,258 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'd say being grateful to be English is more appropriate imo.

The amount of people who would love to live in England is crazy. The means people go to are quite extreme. Here in South Africa everyone wanted to move there. Perhaps not so much anymore as SA is having an influx of people coming home, but even my girlfriend had a good cry a couple of years ago over not having emigrated when it was easier to do so.
  • sport 11 Feb 2013 12:21:25 12,677 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So what the hell are you actually asking, revan?

"Why are the English just, ya'know, better?"
  • Deckard1 11 Feb 2013 12:23:01 27,604 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yorkshire puddings really are quite splendid.

Hush you ponce

• DaM 11 Feb 2013 12:23:21 12,971 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    As a half-scot, imo this sort of thing makes Scotland very uncool, which is a pity as it has quite a lot going for it as a country once you shoulder your way past the rampant nationalism.
    I think it was a bit tongue in cheek! Anyway, if you saw the "UK covered in snow" pic from last week, there was a big green patch around Glasgow with zero snow, very depressing. Must be all the cannabis farms.

There isn't much rampant nationalism - support for independence is below 25%. Voting for the SNP shouldn't be confused with a wish for independence (I know it seems strange). Since devolution, the Scottish Parliament and MSPs take more stick than Westminster and MPs.
  • Page

of 12 First / Last