Nexus 7 - Battery

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • werewolf_poo 10 Feb 2013 18:10:53 150 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Hi Guys,

Wondered if any fellow Nexus owners can help me with this one.

When I plug the 7 into my laptop/mains/PC it seems to charge like a trickle charge. I get like 10% from 1.5 hours charge. This surely is not normal??

p.s please feel free to move this to a better category I just couldnt decide where to put this
  • L0cky 10 Feb 2013 18:17:22 1,521 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    From a laptop/PC it can be quite slow because USB has a limited amount of power (I'm not sure if the Nexus 7 takes advantage of the extra power available in USB 3).

From the mains it should be pretty fast though. I haven't timed it but I'd expect at least 50% from 1.5 hours; probably more.
  • werewolf_poo 10 Feb 2013 18:20:06 150 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @L0cky Thanks, I might try it one last time from mains. If it does not charge at that level it will be going back. cheers
  • Locky 10 Feb 2013 18:49:38 583 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is it a new Nexus? I would expect it to charge faster than that via the mains.

(On a side note, I let the battery on mine go totally flat recently and when I tried to charge it from the mains, the screen went black and little dots flashed up. It took a few attempts of plugging it in and out before it kickstarted the charging into life. It seems to be fine now but I was worried it was totally dead! Definitely won't let it run down so much in future!)
  • B0rked_Gamer 10 Feb 2013 18:58:10 2,569 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My Nexus 7 is a slow charger and I leave it on overnight. I thought that was normal to be honest.
  • crashVoodoo 10 Feb 2013 19:05:17 3,878 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    B0rked_Gamer wrote:
    My Nexus 7 is a slow charger and I leave it on overnight. I thought that was normal to be honest.
    Mine charges in about 2-3 hours I'm sure.  Are you using the adapter and cable that came with the device or one from an old or current phone?

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• mal 10 Feb 2013 19:12:26 22,462 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Locky wrote:
    Is it a new Nexus? I would expect it to charge faster than that via the mains.

(On a side note, I let the battery on mine go totally flat recently and when I tried to charge it from the mains, the screen went black and little dots flashed up. It took a few attempts of plugging it in and out before it kickstarted the charging into life. It seems to be fine now but I was worried it was totally dead! Definitely won't let it run down so much in future!)
    A lot of modern phones that charge over Micro USB seem to have that problem - they need to boot up certain services before they can draw power from it and start charging the battery. Though it does seem that in most models, at least a trickle gets through before that boot level, so leaving it on charge for a while, then unplugging it and rebooting it often works.

I've heard it's something to do with the latest chipsets, but it sounds like a bit of a fuckup to me. But in general, if your phone goes dead, it should have left enough power to boot up again to charge, but maybe not enough to be left dead for more than a day or so - so if your battery runs out, get the phone back on charge asap.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• ILoveThrashMetal 10 Feb 2013 19:12:40 714 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Do you use the mains charger it was supplied with?
    I have read a few horror stories with users not using the supplied charger, don't ask me why though.

Arsechickens

• B0rked_Gamer 10 Feb 2013 19:25:26 2,569 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    crashVoodoo wrote:
    B0rked_Gamer wrote:
    Mine charges in about 2-3 hours I'm sure.  Are you using the adapter and cable that came with the device or one from an old or current phone?
    USB mains charger that came with it. The thing needs charging now actually so I'll time it.

edit

Nope it still has 48% charge left. I haven't used it in a week and it was displaying about 50% charge then. /shrug

Edited by B0rked_Gamer at 19:29:38 10-02-2013
  • Destria 10 Feb 2013 19:27:29 2,823 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah. If nothing else, check what the adaptor spits out in terms of amps. The one that comes with it outputs 2A (I think), but my phone charger is under 1A
  • richardiox 10 Feb 2013 19:43:08 5,581 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Charging from mains is for some reason faster than through a USB slot. I discovered this after about a month of Nexys ownership after noticing the same thing as the OP.
  • richardiox 10 Feb 2013 19:43:09 5,581 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Charging from mains is for some reason faster than through a USB slot. I discovered this after about a month of Nexys ownership after noticing the same thing as the OP.
  • mal 10 Feb 2013 20:53:15 22,462 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    USB2 officially only delivers 500mA, and perhaps even less especially from laptop ports. Conveniently, power bricks that happen to spit out juice via a USB shaped port can deliver quite a lot more, although it all depends how much your phone is prepared to swallow. Still, can be quite a lot quicker through the same port from the mains than it is from your laptop.

• Carlo 10 Feb 2013 21:02:24 17,999 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My motherboard has some specific high amp USB ports in it, for example

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=817&Itemid=69&limit=1&limitstart=1
    The JFP2 and JFP1 split front panel connector MSI seems to be standardizing on is next, followed by an enhanced USB 2.0 port (with red background inside the connector) that can supply 1.5 amps for charging high-current USB devices like tablet computers.

PSN ID: Djini

• X201 10 Feb 2013 21:12:55 15,271 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Locky wrote:

(On a side note, I let the battery on mine go totally flat recently
    Don't do that with Lithium-ion batteries, it can permanently damage them.
    Charge them regularly. Keep them topped up.
  • mal 10 Feb 2013 21:22:04 22,462 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Thankfully, all consumer lithium ion batteries come with electronics to shut themselves off before they get dangerously low. The problem as I outlined above is the phone switching off before they get that low, but leaving the battery in a non-dangerous state where it only just has enough juice in it to reboot and restart charging.

Last time I checked the received wisdom was that it was still beneficial to allow your phone to get down to only a couple of bars or whatever before charging them up again, rather than leaving them on charge 90% of the time, cooking the battery via the charging circuits.

To be honest, given how frequently people upgrade these days it's not really worth worrying about though, so you may as well keep it topped up while you can. Worth topping up any old phones you have lying about in drawers every few years though, to stop their batteries naturally discharging to dangerous levels.

• L0cky 10 Feb 2013 21:43:43 1,521 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Another thing worth checking is Settings -> Battery. If Screen isn't the top battery user by a long margin then something else is doing something wrong.
  • crashVoodoo 10 Feb 2013 21:57:03 3,878 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Have you tried a different charger/cable to rule that out as faulty ?

Mine is flat, wont even power on. I'll capture a before and after screenshot of the battery graph and see how long it takes. I'm not even using the bundled kit, its an old HTC plug and my moto xoom data cable

Edited by crashVoodoo at 21:58:12 10-02-2013

Edited by crashVoodoo at 22:01:55 10-02-2013

• L0cky 10 Feb 2013 22:14:37 1,521 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I use the one that came with my Kindle. Use that for everything tbh.
  • crashVoodoo 11 Feb 2013 00:03:35 3,878 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Right well seems I was a bit off in my guesstimations. I've just switched it on after 2 hours into the charge and it is exactly 50% charged.

edit : wow epic screenshot butcherage ...

Edited by crashVoodoo at 00:09:29 11-02-2013

• Deleted user 11 February 2013 19:48:40
    It takes forever to charge via USB on a computer, charge it via the mains :).
  • DrStrangelove 11 Feb 2013 21:10:48 3,728 posts
    Seen 50 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I have no Nexus 7 (yet, going to replace my iPad 3 with one), but with my phones, I had and have the same problem. Recharging on a computer takes ages.

The iPad needs 4 or 5 hours even from the mains, but it has a really massive battery, so I'd expect the Nexus to charge a lot faster.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 21:13:30 11-02-2013
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next