The Army and drug testing for prescription drugs.

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • pacrifice 8 Feb 2013 21:29:28 960 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm sorry if this isn't the right area to post and I'm unsure if a friend of mine is addicted to prescription drugs.

I'm monitoring her but she is in the reserve forces so, wouldn't they pick up on an addiction like that?

I googled and found info for the US army, not UK.

Edited by pacrifice at 21:33:45 08-02-2013

Edited by pacrifice at 21:33:58 08-02-2013
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 8 Feb 2013 21:31:39 6,654 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Interesting question. Performance enhancing drugs in the military.
  • Kostabi 8 Feb 2013 21:34:19 4,670 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    To be honest, I'd be in favour of the military using performance enhancers on the soldiers. Surely doping them into peak physical and mental condition would make their jobs safer?

As for the question at hand, I've never heard of the forces drug testing, or at least friends I've known in the Army and Navy have never mentioned it.
  • Locky 8 Feb 2013 21:47:51 583 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I found this online:

Alcohol and drugs: the facts

Dunno if that's any use? Can't read it on my phone very well.
  • Khanivor 8 Feb 2013 21:49:49 39,894 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What is she addicted to?
  • fletch7100 8 Feb 2013 22:56:51 6,186 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Well we had compulsory drug testing in the regular army. The testing team would just rock up in the morning, then test a certain percentage of people on the camp. Was done by urine sample. Have to found out what prescription drugs she is taking and what the effect is on her.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 8 Feb 2013 22:59:26 6,654 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I saw a documentary on the history channel that mentioned a marine that failed his course because he blew out ligaments in his knee.

You forget that they are essentially athletes.
  • Khanivor 8 Feb 2013 23:00:56 39,894 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    fletch7100 wrote:
    The testing team would just rock up in the morning, then test a certain percentage of people on the camp.
    I think they were doing it wrong.
  • fletch7100 8 Feb 2013 23:10:33 6,186 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It depends on which unit they were testing, we shared a camp with a few other units. So we may get tested and the others won't. Used to rotate around like that.

Edited by fletch7100 at 23:13:28 08-02-2013
  • wayneh 8 Feb 2013 23:14:47 2,200 posts
    Seen 5 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I was in the Navy and we were always subject to random drug testing. Although they are looking for the use of illegal drugs, ie coke, heroin, cannabis etc they will pick up on others but as long as you declare it and can explain it during the testing it's not a problem. Use of illegal drugs will land you a spell in military prison and dismissal but the use of prescription drugs would be treated more leniently with counselling, rehab etc.

Act like a dumbshit and they will treat you as an equal

• pacrifice 8 Feb 2013 23:18:42 960 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's just, things like painkillers. Always painkillers.

We talk on and off, we're not close, we've known each other for time and I don't wanna see her fall but it just seems as though that when we do get in touch, she's ill, she's come down with something and therefore on medication. Always lots of medication.

This week, she described symptoms similar to a chest infection or a flu like virus. When I had something similar, I was on Nurofen and paracetamol (one to treat the inflammation, one for the pain) but she's on painkillers and at nights, lemsip with some whiskey and the other day, she took 10mg tamazepam (google tells me it's a sedative for anxiety)...

I found this
    http://www.whatwinnersdo.com/what-is-an-addictive-personality/
    ^^^ She has those traits.

She explained that her doctor prescribed that she just run it out (I'd not be surprised if the they don't want to prescribe anything else as they want the current medication out of her system)...

I'll monitor her over the next few weeks. Hope i'm just overreacting.
  • Khanivor 8 Feb 2013 23:24:34 39,894 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    fletch7100 wrote:
    It depends on which unit they were testing, we shared a camp with a few other units. So we may get tested and the others won't. Used to rotate around like that.

Edited by Khanivor at 23:24:46 08-02-2013
  • Khanivor 8 Feb 2013 23:26:47 39,894 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If she's into the opiates and needs to get professional help then whatever happens try and persuade her against using Suboxone. It's commonly viewed as a wonderful alternative to methadone but from what I've seen coming off of it is worse than anything else. Word of warning.

Other than that, with an addict you can't do shit until they want to get better.
  • wayneh 8 Feb 2013 23:27:24 2,200 posts
    Seen 5 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    tbh if the doctors in the Army are anything like the Navy they don't really monitor anyone closely at all. For about 6 months I was suffering with constant headaches and all the doctor done was give me a box of 100 paracetamol and told me to come back and get some more when they had run out. No attempt to get to the bottom of why I was getting constant headaches at all. Unless she is willing to admit she has a problem and goes to her superior and states she has a problem nothing will get done. I'd recommend her speaking to the Army Chaplin first (they don't just deal with religion) as they give very good life advice but again she will have to admit to herself she has a problem.

• wayneh 8 Feb 2013 23:29:11 2,200 posts
    Seen 5 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Another thing is the forces hand out Ibuprofen like candy, extremely good for hangovers :)

• fletch7100 8 Feb 2013 23:35:25 6,186 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Ibuprofen for Hangovers, nah just went for a greasy fry up in the cookhouse where the scrambled eggs looked more like porridge
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 8 Feb 2013 23:38:52 6,654 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'd have to borrow someeone elses piss. No way I'm passing that shit
  • fletch7100 8 Feb 2013 23:47:09 6,186 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The worst part is waiting around if you don't feel you have the urge to piss. Spend the morning drinking loads of water and spend the time doing a sweepstake on who you think will fail the test. Mainly based on the guilty look, how nervous they are acting etc :)
  • TheRealBadabing 9 Feb 2013 00:23:33 1,196 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not sure if the rules are the same for Army but under the Naval Discipline Act, using any substance with the intention of getting high (I paraphrase) is an offence. Doesn't matter if it works or not, which is why people have been discharged for drying banana skins.

Whether the substances are legal or not, it only takes one slip up and, as far as the forces are concerned, the proof of intent is there. Before someone with a grudge shops your friend I would agree with wayneh and advise setting up a chat with the Chaplain.
  • FWB 9 Feb 2013 00:48:21 41,999 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The chest pains are a symptom that comes from excessive painkiller use. Had it before when I had shoulders pains. Got told to hit the PKs by my GP, did, got major chest problems and was told to come off them by another doctor. Went away.

She could be popping into different GPs for more prescriptions. It difficult for them to track that and most doctors have to go by feeling as to whether the patient is trying to trick them.

Edited by FWB at 00:50:16 09-02-2013
  • Psychotext 9 Feb 2013 10:28:45 52,802 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wouldn't heavy codine use show up? It's an opiate.

After all, eating poppy seeds can cause you to fail a drugs test and you'd have far less in your system that way than through munching codine tablets.

Edited by Psychotext at 10:29:45 09-02-2013
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 9 Feb 2013 11:25:23 6,654 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    SmarterThanTheCops wrote:
    If it's just pain killers she'll be fine. The piss tests they do search for cocaine, heroine and weed. I've passed drug tests before when high on ecstacy, mephedrone, and speed. Just make sure you stay away from heroine, coke and weed. Weed stays in your system for about 30 days tops if you're a regular user. Coke is out your piss in a couple of days but if they do an indepth hair follicle test (which they wont) it will show traces for years. Dunno about heroine.
    "It's a fuckin tightrope Spud!"
  • pacrifice 10 Feb 2013 15:58:51 960 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Locky wrote:
    I found this online:

Alcohol and drugs: the facts

Dunno if that's any use? Can't read it on my phone very well.
    Thanx for this, I read through it and it seems as though they do pick up on over the counter products/prescriptions.

I'm still gonna monitor as better safe than sorry.
  • Oh-Bollox 10 Feb 2013 16:30:55 5,094 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Testing in the reserves is non-existent. Never got tested or even heard of anyone being tested in the TA, for example. Random tests don't occur all that frequent in the regulars.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next