Xbox Gold and Xbox Music

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Sharzam 7 Feb 2013 18:41:36 2,825 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Evening,

Just wanted to check something and any ideas. I recently upgraded to Windows 8 and Windows phone so thought i would try out Xbox Music which seams to be pretty good. But here is the thing, i thought might see how it works on the actual Xbox however I am normally a silver member as i game on my pc and ps3 mostly. When i start the music app it says i need gold.

Is it just because it is the 30 day free trial, or do you really need to pay for xbox music and gold ? If it is the latter what are they thinking..

Saying that is it just,me am i doing something wrong?

Thanks

Edited by Sharzam at 18:47:04 07-02-2013

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• oceanmotion 7 Feb 2013 18:59:09 15,770 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    To use it on your Xbox you need Gold.

Just like the rest of the stuff behind the gold pay wall.

When I paid for the Zune/Xbox Music pass it really didn't enter my mind Gold was required when I tried it on Xbox. I was happily using it on my laptop and phone.

I should have known obviously but it's just so bonkers, you think of course they wouldn't but Microsoft are cunts.
  • ronuds 7 Feb 2013 19:01:40 21,788 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, you're not doing anything wrong - Microsoft is.
  • Baihu1983 20 Apr 2013 16:17:14 3,378 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Odd that you need gold for a service you need to pay extra for outside the free trial.

Anyways does anyone use this? If i download a song during the trial can i burn it to disc? I'm going to guess no but i wanted overall thoughts on the service.

Cant stand itunes and have been using Amazon for a while but if the 12 month sub is worth it i would give this a try. Just not able to download it at the moment.
  • Blocky 22 Apr 2013 13:55:49 196 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've starting paying for the Xbox Music service, I think it's awesome as I use it on my Xbox, Windows 8 laptop and most of all for downloading albums to my windows 8 phone. I haven't tried burning anything to disc but I would have thought you could during the trial.
  • Ror1984 22 Apr 2013 14:38:57 3,028 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    You have options to strem, download or buy. Any music downloaded has DRM. Anything you buy is DRM-free.

I can't even use my sub on my phone at the moment - something went wrong last Tues and I'm now getting a DRM error. I contacted live support only to be told that it's because my free trial ran out, so I told the guy that I've been subbing for over two years...

He told me to move the date on my phone one week forward, reset the phone, and then try it again. Amazingly, all my downloaded music worked. If I switch back to the actual date, I get the DRM error again. He told me to leave the date set a week ahead for a few hours then set it back and everything should be fine. The next day, it still wasn't, so I got back on live support and was told that it would actually take a week to resolve.

I reckon the bastards have fucked something up on my account. I've since deactivated my phone as an XBM device and then reinstated it, and now it won't play any subscription music no matter the date. I'll give it 'til tomorrow or Weds, then I'm getting back onto live support. I really don't want to factory reset my bloody phone.

/rant

FFXIV: ARR - Khroma Midgard, Odin.

• Baihu1983 22 Apr 2013 16:00:27 3,378 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    What about the 1 time use? Asked on another forum and someone [possibly trolling] claims that after you listen to a song once you have to re download it?
  • Ror1984 22 Apr 2013 20:49:02 3,028 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Wait, someone told you that if you download a song, you can only play it once? Yeah, that's pure unadulterated cow faeces. I had albums on my Lumia 920 for months and listened to them daily. I had albums on my Omnia 7 for ~2 years.

I can only assume they had pressed the 'play' button rather than hit download. And that they were also a bit thick.

• Baihu1983 23 Apr 2013 16:55:27 3,378 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    They said you have to re download it after every listen or atleast the DRM code for it.

As i said i think they were trolling the service but at the same time i was sure i read that when Zune first launched you had to re download after 3 plays?
  • Ror1984 23 Apr 2013 17:28:55 3,028 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The 3 plays rings a bell... I think that was wrt sharing tracks - if I remember correctly, you could share a song with a friend, who would then get a few plays of it before being prompted to buy. Admittedly my memory is a bit sketchy on that though.

But for those with a pass, there are no restrictions other than playing the content on (up to four of) your own devices. I've been using Zune/XBM Pass for around two and a half years now and never had to redownload anything. I also had a first-gen Zune, but I put all my own ripped music on that.

EDIT - Ah, here we go, from Wiki:
    The first generation and later Zune devices included a number of social features, including the ability to share songs with other Zune users wirelessly. Songs that had been transferred over wi-fi could then be played three times over three days
    Edited by Ror1984 at 17:29:45 23-04-2013

• Baihu1983 23 Apr 2013 17:51:52 3,378 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Thanks.
  • Ror1984 23 Apr 2013 18:16:31 3,028 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    No worries. If only I could figure out my own problem /o\

• Page