Random Musings Page 956

• Page

of 959 First / Last

• Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 7 Dec 2017 14:10:30 2,118 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Decks It's more about the depth of the flavour. Orange peel can be nice in small quantities and when mixed with other ingredients. Bite into a whole orange and it's just overwhelming.

It's like garlic. I'm very fond of food seasoned with it. But biting into a whole clove is frankly foul.
  • DukeSilver 7 Dec 2017 14:14:53 2,540 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Talking about parents, my parents went through just about every possibility when they retired. Every couple of weeks they were looking at some new idea. They thought about going abroad, moving to the country, buying a static home for some reason to do with their friends having one at the coast and it was apparently quite nice. In the end they built a giant extension which they're now starting to realise is a lot of effort to clean and maintain.

It's made me very aware of getting older. When I was young I'd witness my parents complaining about weird crap their elderly relatives would do like keeping excessive amounts of cash in a sideboard. Now I'm in that position.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 7 Dec 2017 14:16:18 11,423 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @Decks It's more about the depth of the flavour. Orange peel can be nice in small quantities and when mixed with other ingredients. Bite into a whole orange and it's just overwhelming.

No I mean surely everyone has done that. Even just to peel it.
  • challenge_hanukkah 7 Dec 2017 14:19:27 5,354 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    My Dad voted leave because butter was cheaper before we joined the EU.

I jokingly asked if he'd adjusted for inflation and he said he wasn't sure what I meant.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 7 Dec 2017 14:24:03 11,423 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    My mother voted leave but regretted it straight after apparently. Luckily she'd used the wrong envelope and posted her vote back to herself.
  • RelaxedMikki 7 Dec 2017 14:36:18 2,316 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My entire extended family, with the exception of my sister and an older cousin who is a Sargent in the Royal Engineers, voted leave.

Dicks.

Most disapointed in my mum. I knew my dad was backwards ever since he started going on about "Polish sausages in Tescos" a decade ago. The thing is, he is son of a European immigrant and refugee himself. You would think he would see the irony.
  • boo 7 Dec 2017 14:42:05 13,359 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    While I respect your right to hold whichever opinion you choose, you do not win an argument by simply referring to anyone who holds an opposing view as 'Dicks'.

Edited by boo at 14:43:34 07-12-2017
  • DrStrangelove 7 Dec 2017 14:43:12 11,315 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What do you suggest, calling them cunts? Don't you think that would be a little too rude?
  • Graxlar_v3 7 Dec 2017 14:43:45 771 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    My father in law was all about vote leave - even to the point of putting up a sign, He then found out as immigrant from Italy who never applied for an English passport (having lived here all his life and married here) he wasn't allowed to vote on the issue. His dumb racist wife (not my missus mum thank god) could vote though and did so.

His argument.. well my dad was asked to come here. Seriously, how fucking dumb.
  • boo 7 Dec 2017 14:46:00 13,359 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Given that I voted leave, I wouldn't call them either. Nor would I refer to anyone who wished to remain using such language.

I understand it's an emotive topic, but it seems to have brought the debate down to the ,level of a playground argument, which is a shame.
  • Psychotext 7 Dec 2017 14:46:28 62,167 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    boo wrote:
    While I respect your right to hold whichever opinion you choose, you do not win an argument by simply referring to anyone who holds an opposing view as 'Dicks'.
    You're never going to win an argument with someone that holds an opinion "because they feel that way". Hell, that's alt-right 101.

So yeah, you're pretty much fine to continue thinking of them as dicks, because you wont change their minds. If they had fact based reasoning, that's another story, but that's pretty light on the ground here.

My family are first generation immigrants, and (me aside), they all voted leave because they felt there were too many immigrants. So in my case, they're super fucking hypocritical dicks.

Edited by Psychotext at 14:47:41 07-12-2017
  • RelaxedMikki 7 Dec 2017 14:47:43 2,316 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    boo wrote:
    Yeah. You're right.

Sometimes my arguments get beyond shouting obscenties... other times frustration gets the better of me.
  • DukeSilver 7 Dec 2017 14:49:59 2,540 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Unless RelaxedMikki's family read this he's not trying to win an argument.
  • challenge_hanukkah 7 Dec 2017 16:44:45 5,354 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    boo wrote:
    Given that I voted leave, I wouldn't call them either. Nor would I refer to anyone who wished to remain using such language.

I understand it's an emotive topic, but it seems to have brought the debate down to the ,level of a playground argument, which is a shame.
    I'm pretty sure I remember you referring to Junker and co as corrupt bastards or something at some point.
  • boo 7 Dec 2017 16:46:59 13,359 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    That is entirely possible.
  • X201 7 Dec 2017 18:30:17 18,252 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    boo wrote:
    Unless itís a group of people called Richard who are claiming that there isnít a diminutive for their name.
  • Mr_Sleep 7 Dec 2017 18:55:36 21,389 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The other day I stopped to say hello to a former customer of the shop I work for and he is a pure dyed in the wool brexit man, he then spent ten minutes fulfilling every cliche of arguments about brexit including how we were fine before joining the EU, the country is being taken over by the foreigners from muslim countries, how the Germans failed twice to take over Britain and they were using the EU to take over the UK where they failed before.

It was an incredible tirade full of contradiction and out right nonsense. He also stated that everything will be fine and it will work out. He felt it was important to point out how young people like me don't understand, I am 35.

I stood there in all my liberal torpor and didn't argue a jot as there was fuck all point. I argued with him before brexit and he conceeded not one point made. Facts, informatiom and truth mean nothing to people like the above. It is impossible and a waste of time to even bother discussing anything as it will make no difference.
  • DrStrangelove 7 Dec 2017 19:06:38 11,315 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    how the Germans failed twice to take over Britain and they were using the EU to take over the UK where they failed before.
    Please reveal his ID, our intelligence will take care of him
  • monkman76 7 Dec 2017 19:14:00 12,030 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    boo
  • thelzdking 7 Dec 2017 19:17:19 6,479 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Why the fuck would Germany want to take over Britain now? It's a shithole full of wankers.
  • DrStrangelove 7 Dec 2017 19:19:28 11,315 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's a matter of principle.
  • Mr_Sleep 7 Dec 2017 19:19:42 21,389 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @DrStrangelove juat wander around South West London, you will be able to spot him based on his Costa Del Sol tan and the look he gives anyone who veers away from caucasian.
  • DrStrangelove 7 Dec 2017 19:20:30 11,315 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep

Thanks, I'll forward the information.
  • Mr_Sleep 7 Dec 2017 19:21:42 21,389 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @thelzdking i have no idea but it is clearly an opinion that is held by some. I am sure Germany would love to own Britain due to our natural resouces and cheap labour, oh wait...

You can probably discern why I didnt bother arguing.
  • Mr_Sleep 7 Dec 2017 19:22:44 21,389 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Oh and I forgot, he also did a "I am not racist but..." 😃
  • elstoof 7 Dec 2017 19:23:25 18,870 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Iíd love to know why the fuck Germany are so obsessed with taking over this place still, donít they know itís gone to shit lately?
  • elstoof 7 Dec 2017 19:24:02 18,870 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Heh, beaten to it
  • DrStrangelove 7 Dec 2017 19:26:25 11,315 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Iíd love to know why the fuck Germany are so obsessed with taking over this place still, donít they know itís gone to shit lately?
    Hum? We'll improve it and make it efficient, obviously
  • thelzdking 7 Dec 2017 19:29:16 6,479 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    elstoof wrote:
    Hum? We'll improve it and make it efficient, obviously
    You definitely won't win the populace over with promises to improve the country. The last few years have shown us that Brits like the place to be a dump run by incompetent bastards.
  • DrStrangelove 7 Dec 2017 19:30:56 11,315 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    We don't plan to "win" the populace over with promises
  • Page

of 959 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.