of 958 First / Last

• neilka 7 Dec 2017 08:11:46 20,692 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ever seeing a margarita again.
  • neilka 7 Dec 2017 08:12:08 20,692 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You'll have to go back a page for that one.
  • DrStrangelove 7 Dec 2017 10:24:56 11,299 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    How comes there's no Edwin Evans-Thirlwell appreciation thread yet?
  • neilka 7 Dec 2017 11:37:28 20,692 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I haven't made it past the first paragraph of any of his articles yet, someone else will have to start it. It should include a report of how many times "great piece", "lovely piece" and "excellent piece" appear in the comments on his and Christian Donlan's articles though.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 7 Dec 2017 11:38:38 2,086 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    How comes there's no Edwin Evans-Thirlwell appreciation thread yet?
    I'm sure it would fit quite naturally into "The Poo Diaries".
  • Jyzzy-Z 7 Dec 2017 11:40:09 2,366 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I think spacemonkey was more coherent to be honest.
  • JamboWayOh 7 Dec 2017 11:44:01 3,796 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I just tried to read that article, it honestly hurt my brain. It's actually making me nostalgic for the simplistic reviews of Mean Machines Sega.
  • Jyzzy-Z 7 Dec 2017 11:47:07 2,366 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Reminded me of Jablonski reading a bit of that mass effect article.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 7 Dec 2017 11:59:10 11,363 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah fair enough, I've just read the first paragraph and its fucking cringe.
  • elstoof 7 Dec 2017 12:25:15 18,836 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    How much did his dad actually invest in Gamer Network, do we know yet
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 7 Dec 2017 12:27:05 2,086 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Parents... who'd have 'em?

About a year ago, mine moved out into the middle of nowhere. To be clear, since I was 7 they've always lived somewhere semi-rural; generally countryside-ish, but just a couple of minutes' drive from suburbia. But a few years back, they started listening to The Archers and fell in love with some kind of fantasy rural utopia. So they move out to somewhere so remote that the closest Tesco is in Mordor.

I did warn them at the time that they might find this difficult. I had a very serious conversation with them where I flagged up that:

- they'd miss a lot of the mod-cons they were used to;
    - the place they were moving to looked pretty, but also had all the signs of being a maintenance nightmare;
    - they'd be adding 40 minutes in each direction to their daily commutes (they're both a couple of years from retirement); and
    - the real countryside is not The Archers.

But they had answers to all of these points and were convinced everything would be fine. I didn't push it, because, after all, what they do with their lives is ultimately their choice. So instead, I smiled, nodded, helped with the move and so on. I didn't want to destroy my relationship with them over it.

After a year of pretending that things are fine, they've basically now broken and admitted that everything is hell. All of my worries turned out to be spot-on.

Except...

Somehow it's all my fault, because I knew all of this in advance and didn't argue hard enough.

Can't win.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 7 Dec 2017 12:35:31 31,562 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    How dare you, though. You could've held them at knife point (make sure to hide the bread bin so they can't counter you) and screamed right in their faces "THIS IS A TERRIBLE IDEA!", but did you? Did you arrange a gas "accident" to destroy the empty house before they moved into it, to save them from themselves? Did you show them the sensitive, well researched and completely non-alarmist documentary about the area, Britain's Stabbiest Village?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 7 Dec 2017 12:41:12 2,086 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @DFawkes The village isn't massively stabby, though they do have a fair old burglary problem (not unusual in very rural places).

My main worry is that the parents will end up in a wicker man.
  • minky-kong 7 Dec 2017 12:43:15 13,259 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Parents... who'd have 'em?

About a year ago, mine moved out into the middle of nowhere. To be clear, since I was 7 they've always lived somewhere semi-rural; generally countryside-ish, but just a couple of minutes' drive from suburbia. But a few years back, they started listening to The Archers and fell in love with some kind of fantasy rural utopia. So they move out to somewhere so remote that the closest Tesco is in Mordor.

I did warn them at the time that they might find this difficult. I had a very serious conversation with them where I flagged up that:

- they'd miss a lot of the mod-cons they were used to;
    - the place they were moving to looked pretty, but also had all the signs of being a maintenance nightmare;
    - they'd be adding 40 minutes in each direction to their daily commutes (they're both a couple of years from retirement); and
    - the real countryside is not The Archers.

But they had answers to all of these points and were convinced everything would be fine. I didn't push it, because, after all, what they do with their lives is ultimately their choice. So instead, I smiled, nodded, helped with the move and so on. I didn't want to destroy my relationship with them over it.

After a year of pretending that things are fine, they've basically now broken and admitted that everything is hell. All of my worries turned out to be spot-on.

Except...

Somehow it's all my fault, because I knew all of this in advance and didn't argue hard enough.

Can't win.
    You could very easily change "Move to the country" with "Vote Leave" and this would still make perfect sense.
  • mrpon 7 Dec 2017 12:43:30 33,787 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oranges, bit of a ballache to open and eat.
  • Jono62 7 Dec 2017 12:44:32 18,436 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Rogueywon Did your parents vote leave by any chance?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 7 Dec 2017 12:52:16 2,086 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Jono62 My dad voted Leave. My mum voted Remain.

Yeah, there's been tension over that.
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 7 Dec 2017 12:59:15 47,258 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Easy-peeler tangerines are the way forward.
  • quadfather 7 Dec 2017 13:01:56 29,597 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I went to see the Boston Celtics basketball game last night. That was entertaining. Free food and beer and met Kevin bacon. He's smaller than you think.
  • JamboWayOh 7 Dec 2017 13:07:13 3,796 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Did you actually meet Bacon or did you just see him? And if you did meet and talk to him was he hawking EE phones to make up for all the cash he lost in that Ponzi scheme?
  • Negan 7 Dec 2017 13:15:07 368 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    mrpon wrote:
    And I hate it when those stringy bits stay on the orange too.

Not worth the hassle.
  • Rivuzu 7 Dec 2017 13:37:09 16,699 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Years ago, during 6th form, there was one guy who tried to be edgy and insisted he normally eats oranges like he does apples, just biting through the skin.

Watching him try to eat one when confronted was fucking hilarious. Dude was a moron.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 7 Dec 2017 13:57:03 31,562 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What's wrong with that? You can put orange peel on cake. Surely eating through the peel basically makes it an orange cake?
  • quadfather 7 Dec 2017 13:58:28 29,597 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Did you actually meet Bacon or did you just see him? And if you did meet and talk to him was he hawking EE phones to make up for all the cash he lost in that Ponzi scheme?
    I went back to his hotel
  • JamboWayOh 7 Dec 2017 14:00:45 3,796 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    I went back to his hotel
    Ahhh so that was the 'steak and ribs' that you had at the hotel...
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 7 Dec 2017 14:01:11 2,086 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    What's wrong with that? You can put orange peel on cake. Surely eating through the peel basically makes it an orange cake?
    Tried it once out of curiousity. It's utterly foul.
  • quadfather 7 Dec 2017 14:02:01 29,597 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Kevin Bacon doesn't like orange peel either
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 7 Dec 2017 14:06:51 11,363 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    DFawkes wrote:
    Tried it once out of curiousity. It's utterly foul.
    Surely everyone has tasted orange peel?
  • neilka 7 Dec 2017 14:09:10 20,692 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Requesting information on how user mal eats an orange.
  • DukeSilver 7 Dec 2017 14:10:09 2,526 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Full thing directly in the mouth with a bin bag over his head, sex game style?
  • Page

of 958 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.