Random Musings Page 82

• Page

of 384 First / Last

• DFawkes 1 Jul 2013 13:51:27 23,061 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Your review of Catwoman is excellent Brem :) I have to say as a plus point for me, it didn't physically rape me. Mind rape possibly, but that's all.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Bremenacht 1 Jul 2013 14:01:20 18,459 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thank you kindly!

And yes -fair enough- I did check my bank account the following day and the money was still there PLUS I could still poo normally, so it's not all bad.
  • Deleted user 2 July 2013 00:01:16
    Starting to wonder if I'm rucking cursed with technology now. Inn the space of a couple months I've broken my nexus 7,my kindle randomly decided to die, and just now my TV has given up (picture is all dark with lots of ghosting - quick Google suggests it's dead now). Wife is refusing to let me buy anything new because of how unlucky I've been recently. Oh and my galaxy s4 slipped out of my pocket and landed on the carpet slightly denting it. Works fine but it was 3 days after I bought it so very rucking annoying. Even more annoying when I had just that morning received a case for it in the post.
  • mal 2 Jul 2013 00:09:17 22,608 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Rucking?

Nah, more like modern technology is almost guaranteed to die just after the warranty runs out, they've got that good at it. That and you're a 'rucking' klutz for dropping your new phone.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Blotto 2 Jul 2013 02:18:17 2,776 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just watched the Have I got News For You episode after the Angus Deayton scandal, it was brutal.

Didn't see it at the time. It was hugely mean spirited and Paul Merton came out of it looking like a complete and utter cunt. Can't stand that man.

/current
  • Ziz0u 2 Jul 2013 04:41:53 8,399 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just got on the bus that I'll be on for a 14 hour trip. Yay.
  • chopsen 2 Jul 2013 08:36:00 16,094 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The argument went, I think, that HIGNFY pulls politicians up on misbehaviour in public lifeand that becomes untenable if the host of the show is just as bad. Misses the point that a comedian hosting a comedy show is not really subject to the same moral standards expected of someone in a position of genuine power, but I guess it does give people a "well at least I'm not snorting coke out a prostitute's crack" get out of jail free card.
  • chopsen 2 Jul 2013 08:38:58 16,094 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh, and I have a bigger problem with Hislop. Ever since I saw that iterview that Mark Lawson did with him. Sanctimonious reactionary prick.
  • Load_2.0 2 Jul 2013 09:53:57 19,361 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I do like HIGNFY but it is down to the format along with the host/guests. Merton and Hislop come accross as rather smug and neither are particularly interesting or amusing individually.
  • nickthegun 2 Jul 2013 09:56:39 60,164 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Paul Merton is genuinely hilarious. Ive seen him do stand-up and I loved his brief Paul Merton show on channel 4.

Its just a shame he doesnt seem to do any other TV than HIGNFY.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• chopsen 2 Jul 2013 10:01:42 16,094 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, I think Merton's great and seen him live a few times. However, he did a recent tour which was a weird kind of autobiographical variety type thing, and it was awful.
  • nickthegun 2 Jul 2013 10:03:59 60,164 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hes a bit of a scholar of old entertainment by the looks of it. he did that silent comedy series a while ago.

• localnotail 2 Jul 2013 13:49:18 23,093 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I really like Hislop. He's been a thorn in the side of all politicians who fail to do their job for about 30 years. He's appeared on every episode of HIGNFY despite a strong dislike of being on TV, through a commitment to politicial satire. He's probably the most sued man in England.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Blotto 2 Jul 2013 14:06:05 2,776 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah, as has been said, a host of a TV show (the one that's presumably made them rich) shouldn't face the same moral scrutiny as a politician.

Just made them both look like horrible people, they'd been working and laughing with him for years and then when he gets in trouble the BBC makes him go on and Merton and Hislop just mercilessly attack him with very little humour to it.

Thought 8 out of 10 cars handled Jimmy Carrs tax thing much better
  • Deleted user 2 July 2013 14:13:24
    Hhmmm, my attempt today of a fast day has completely crumbled now that I'm working from home and the in-laws are having curry. Fuck.
  • King_Edward 2 Jul 2013 14:19:34 11,454 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm sure I remember the Angus Coke hignfy episode being hilarious. Can't stand a ribbing? Don't get caught sniffing coke with prostitutes.
  • Kay 2 Jul 2013 14:23:09 17,905 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Blotto You got a link to the episode please? Google can't seem to throw up the right one.
  • Deleted user 2 July 2013 14:25:50
    King_Edward wrote:
    I'm sure I remember the Angus Coke hignfy episode being hilarious. Can't stand a ribbing? Don't get caught sniffing coke with prostitutes.
    Yeah don't remember it that clearly but if your job is to take the pics out if people in the situation you deserve it ten fold if you are guilty yourself.
  • Blotto 2 Jul 2013 14:31:33 2,776 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It wasn't a ribbing though, celebrities get a ribbing, even the politicians get a ribbing, they were more like bullys than comedians imo.

Have no great affection for Deayton but it was just a mean spirited episode, there wasn't a single smile when making these jokes. Merton even laid in to the woman who shouted "Leave him alone".

I was watching it on Dave so I have no links unfortunately.
  • sport 2 Jul 2013 14:32:05 12,758 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Hhmmm, my attempt today of a fast day has completely crumbled now that I'm working from home and the in-laws are having curry. Fuck.
    Remember mowgs, a moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips.
  • nickthegun 2 Jul 2013 14:36:25 60,164 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Blotto wrote:
    Thought 8 out of 10 cars handled Jimmy Carrs tax thing much better
    It was different for a couple of reasons, namely what Carr did wasnt illegal and, realistically, not that bad whereas Deaytons was a long established pattern of behaviour of drug taking and cheating on his wife with whores.

And then theres the fact that, by all accounts, most people on the production team thought Deayton was a cunt and couldnt wait to see the back of him.

• nickthegun 2 Jul 2013 14:37:42 60,164 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hence, with regard to the above points, the reason that they mercilessly laid into him. Merton especially disliked him so absolutely relished giving him a proper pasting.

• chopsen 2 Jul 2013 14:42:45 16,094 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    I really like Hislop. He's been a thorn in the side of all politicians who fail to do their job for about 30 years. He's appeared on every episode of HIGNFY despite a strong dislike of being on TV, through a commitment to politicial satire. He's probably the most sued man in England.
    Private Eye is actually a bit shit though, isn't it? It's not that funny (at the level of a college rag mag that somehow made it nationally) and often, by virtue of relying on rumour, factually inaccurate. People have sued the Eye *successfully*, and they often print letters from people pointing out inaccuracy. It flaunts the kind of standards it apparently thinks the media should uphold. The way they dealt with MMR was pure tabloid.

And if he hates TV so much, what about this: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0386810/#Self

Edited by Chopsen at 14:43:35 02-07-2013
  • Blotto 2 Jul 2013 14:44:24 2,776 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Fair enough, I have no idea what was going on behind the scenes.

I guess I just dislike Merton in general. He was perfectly described by someone on here as the kind of friend who punches your arm slightly to hard and says "Ha Ha just joking!" when you're not really sure if he is or not.
  • cubbymoore 2 Jul 2013 14:55:39 36,497 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hislop is good at pointing out hypocrisy. But I'd hesitate to think he has views that are that progressive, he comes across as pretty conservative in his thinking, particularly regarding libel law, which I'm convinced is only because of his own self interest in the ongoing position of Private Eye.
  • chopsen 2 Jul 2013 14:57:33 16,094 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ditto with his opposition to privacy law.
  • thelzdking 2 Jul 2013 15:07:05 4,367 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    localnotail wrote:
    Private Eye is actually a bit shit though, isn't it? It's not that funny (at the level of a college rag mag that somehow made it nationally) and often, by virtue of relying on rumour, factually inaccurate. People have sued the Eye *successfully*, and they often print letters from people pointing out inaccuracy. It flaunts the kind of standards it apparently thinks the media should uphold. The way they dealt with MMR was pure tabloid.

And if he hates TV so much, what about this: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0386810/#Self
    Some fair points, but a very one-sided assessment. The have dug up plenty of real stories and scandals in their time.
  • Doomspoon 2 Jul 2013 15:53:24 2,479 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Why does the Fable 3 "monorail" have two rails?
  • Alastair 2 Jul 2013 16:02:25 15,894 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    If you had curry for lunch, then you could at least skip dinner...

I lost another 2 pounds-ish. Down to 12st 10.
  • Page

of 384 First / Last