Knights of Pen and Paper: iOS thread

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • simiankid 7 Feb 2013 14:16:47 594 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Afternoon all. I've just picked up Knight of Pen and Paper for the iPhone. It's pretty, speedy to play and the music and art is awesome, so I'm loving it.

However, this is my first time out on a non-JRPG, and I can't help but feel I'm missing out on things. Sadly, there's no in-game help, and aside from a super specific wiki, I've not managed to find any other resources to help me out.

My main issues:

Can anybody help me out with the status ailment symbols? Fire is obviously 'burn', but the purple diamond made of lines? Stun, perhaps?

My other big question: is there a 'main quest'? Although I'm only in Default Village, do I just keep selecting quest types from the DM until I've exhausted them, or am I missing some quest trigger that kicks off the narrative?

Finally, is there any reason I shouldn't fill all five seats now that I've got enough cash to buy more members?
  • Murbal 7 Feb 2013 14:28:10 22,223 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Also available on Android kids!
  • AccidentProne 7 Feb 2013 14:38:34 1,163 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The purple debuff is weakness I think, stun is a flashing white circle.

Not sure on the main quest, don't really know how to differentiate main from side quests. Basically I just try and do all that are level appropriate.

I filled up all the seats as soon as I could, though by the time I could afford the last spot, the rest of my guys were level 15ish. Meant it was a bit of a pain levelling the last spot as she was getting one shot a lot.
  • sunjumper 7 Feb 2013 14:59:38 3,197 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The main quest can be tracked by the golden star appearing on the loctions where the next bit of the story takes place or where there is a mission to do.
  • TarickStonefire 7 Feb 2013 15:30:30 3,107 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Am I right in thinking that the main quest that comes with new downloads of the game now is completely different to the main quest that came with the game a few months ago? And that there was a second quest at that time but it's been dropped?

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• simiankid 7 Feb 2013 16:37:23 594 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @AccidentProne Ah, cheers, that'll explain why they were still hitting me then.

Aye, looks like filling them asap is the plan then. Now all I have to do is digest the wiki to decide who the hell I should pick. I've got a Rogue, a Warrior and a Mage so far, so maybe a support type next.

@sunjumper Thanks, that'll stop me worrying that I was whipping past all the exciting stuff.

@Murbal - Didn't know that. If a mod fancies editing me title to reflect that I'd be very grateful.
  • sunjumper 7 Feb 2013 16:45:48 3,197 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If your are looink into the classes you can get, I'd avoid the Paladin, I had him for a while and he was mostly useless.

Mild spoiler ahead:
    As you progress you also unlock new classes. With a bit of dedication you can unlock the Bard relatively early, which is a great character to have.
    A solid party: wizard, fighter, cleric with a rouge and a bard added later.
  • RonaldoMike 7 Feb 2013 18:49:38 1 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Hello. My name is Ronaldo, I'm one of the devs of Knights of Pen & Paper (and a character, if you have come so far already!).

Just wanted to say the Paladin is actually a great choice - big health, damage mitigation ability and he gets some good "aggro" (probability of which he will be struck in battle - and not your other characters). He is overall a great "tank" character for your party.

If you don't want to use him, your warrior should do just fine as well. He might not be as tanky as the paladin, but he can pack a harder punch to your enemies.

If you have any more questions regarding the game, feel free to mail me on contato@beholdstudios.com.br

Bye!
  • AccidentProne 7 Feb 2013 20:00:41 1,163 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I stuck with the paladin as a tank and swapped out the warrior for the bard, seems to be working well.

Somehow missed most of the main quest though, which is how I didn't spot the star thing before. Back on it now although I'm massively over-levelled. Hopefully won't take long for it all to catch again though.
  • AccidentProne 7 Feb 2013 20:48:45 1,163 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @RonaldoMike Heh, just found a seashell with the description "I could hear symphonies in seashells". Someone on the team a fan of Mineral, or was that a reference to something else?
  • guilhermehenrique 8 Feb 2013 13:59:18 9 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    AccidentProne wrote:
    @RonaldoMike Heh, just found a seashell with the description "I could hear symphonies in seashells". Someone on the team a fan of Mineral, or was that a reference to something else?
    Hey AccidentProne, I'm one of the devs as well and also responsible for the seashell description. I had to write it but I must confess that I never thought someone would actually ask about it. So, uh, yeah, it's a Mineral reference since I just love them. <3 Thanks for noticing.

:3
  • Murbal 8 Feb 2013 14:05:42 22,223 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nice to see the devs looking in! And thanks for the Android version - far too many mobile games I'd like to try end up iOS only.
  • AccidentProne 8 Feb 2013 14:43:39 1,163 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @guilhermehenrique Awesome, EndSerenading is one of my all time faves.
  • simiankid 11 Feb 2013 12:06:28 594 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @RonaldoMike @guilhermehenrique - Wow, never expected to see the devs in here. Thanks for a great game guys, I'm really enjoying it now I've got to grips with the star=mainquest thing. The dialogue is fantastic (even if there a few cases where the speech bubble is too small for teh dialogue and cuts it off).

One thing I loved: Having to fight you guys as a team during one of the temple missions, and then being able to use you as playable base characters. Genius! Also the quests to get the alternate character types are great - so tough, but worth the effort

Having unlocked the Bard and the Knight, my party is now: Rogue / Mage / Warrior / Druid (all LV21 aside from the Druid LV17) can't decide whether to get the Knight in for more tank, or hold out for one of the later classes.

I can't quite work out precisely what 'Bleed' does. Sure, I can guess that it causes damage in the turns following the initial strike, but I'm not sure how that's calculated.

Is there a way to set up a journey of more than one 'distance unit'? I understand that each step of a journey requires a roll for combat, but travelling around the map one step at a time gets a little tedious. (Actually this is more of a feature request than a question!)
  • disusedgenius 11 Feb 2013 13:34:49 5,333 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Murbal wrote:
    Nice to see the devs looking in! And thanks for the Android version - far too many mobile games I'd like to try end up iOS only.
    Yep, got it recently and it's making a mockery of my commutes. Maybe a little grindy at moments (like when you have to kill 7 elites one at a time), but as a time-killer that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Currently have a lineup of Knight, Druid, Mage, Bard, Hunter

I used to have a Paladin and Cleric in there as well, but was starting to find it a little easy so decided to try some of the unlockables. Now it seems a bit nicer balanced, though I didn't find much use for the Necromancer.

Anyway, top little game. Would play more of them in this vain for sure.

Edited by disusedgenius at 13:35:03 11-02-2013
  • guilhermehenrique 14 Feb 2013 17:29:34 9 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Hey, sorry for the late reply.

So uh, the bleed damage depends. Hunter/Druid bleeds are different values and also varies on 1) spell level 2) attack.

There's a wiki that people from toucharcade made and some specific information are discussed there as well: knightsofpenandpaper.wikia.com maybe there's some good stuff for you there.

I have 2 favorite groups for 2 different purposes:
    1) story mode: warrior, mage, hunter, rogue, cleric (the warrior can mitigate a well portion of damage and has a nice regen, the cleric may weakens and heals also in group, the mage/hunter/rogue have nice direct damage)
    2) aoe/grind/farm mode: paladin, mage, hunter, shaman, bard (the paladin is the easiest tank class to mitigate damage and every other class in this group has an area of effect spell that can melt enemies fast enough)

The unlockables are: Barbarian, Bard, Hunter, Knight, Necromancer, Shaman

The Necromancer is one of the best supports for the latest fight you'll have in the game which is currently hidden, some people may call it a must but I personally don't agree. It has a nice direct damage and a damage over time plus two support spells.

There's no way to tell which are the best classes, I believe that's a very personal thing. (;

ps: mineral is amazing <3 haha
  • Alastair 6 Mar 2013 13:23:37 15,762 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I picked up this game about a week ago and have only played for about 30 mins, but so far I'm liking it. Edit: On Android, if it makes any difference.
    Still in 'Default Village' but I think I'm getting the hang of the game.

Bit of a n00b question, but how do I add a third player to my game table?
    Also, do I *have* to pay to travel to different locations?

Edited by Alastair at 13:23:59 06-03-2013
  • Alastair 6 Mar 2013 13:26:54 15,762 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Heh! I worked it out - tap on the empty chair!
  • simiankid 6 Mar 2013 14:14:20 594 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Alastair That one took me a little while to work out too. There's no way of getting out of paying for travel, but there are a few items you can buy to reduce that. I never had any issues running out of money due to travel, but then I'm perhaps a little more grindy than your average player.
  • YenRug 6 Mar 2013 16:47:48 2,199 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @guilhermehenrique I bought KoP&P quite some time ago, I suspect it wasn't long after its initial release on Google Play. I've only recently finished the first campaign and recall there being a higher level campaign to play through, afterwards, especially in light of being awarded a lv 32 item whilst my party was only lv 30 at best; I don't see an obvious way to carry over my party (with their gear and inventory) and recall reading that you removed the second campaign in an update, is that actually the case?
  • guilhermehenrique 6 Mar 2013 17:12:40 9 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I don't think paying to travel would be a problem in your gameplay so don't worry about it. (: If you ran out of money you may also start a new game (there are 3 slots) and then make money on the other save. golds are persistent between other saves.

YenRug wrote:
    @guilhermehenrique I bought KoP&P quite some time ago, I suspect it wasn't long after its initial release on Google Play. I've only recently finished the first campaign and recall there being a higher level campaign to play through, afterwards, especially in light of being awarded a lv 32 item whilst my party was only lv 30 at best; I don't see an obvious way to carry over my party (with their gear and inventory) and recall reading that you removed the second campaign in an update, is that actually the case?
    The other campaign wasn't a higher level campaign. It was a different gameplay campaign. It was like some sort of arena that you would manage to finish off in 30~40min of gameplay.

When we released the game we thought that it would be interesting to players if they had different campaigns to choose. But then with player feedback we realized that players would care too much about their characters and saves. So we took that second campaign away from the game and made the game better. Everything that we want to add such as events/story/etc will be added in the first campaign. In other words, we'll be making it even bigger, adding quests to it and much more.

The arena feature (second campaign) will probably be add someday into the main story (first campaign) someday.

A resume of that campaign was: a single quest that you needed to kill 15 waves of monsters 1 after another to conquer your freedom from an arena gladiator. Don't worry about it.

By the way, more content are being added into the game so I believe you'll be happy about it. :3
  • Tonka 7 Mar 2013 06:35:24 20,438 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Is this the kind of game where I have to put more money into it after the initial purchase?

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Phattso Moderator 7 Mar 2013 07:06:13 13,336 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nah, it's playable without spending any more. The greater problem is that it gets quite grindy too quickly.

That said I've still sunk a good six or seven hours into it, it fills that nice niche of a game you can play in a spare couple of minutes here and there.
  • Tonka 7 Mar 2013 07:30:57 20,438 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tempting, I have about 12 minutes on the train twice a day. I would love a game that has solid turnbased fighting but isn't too heavy on story.

This sounds like it would fit the bill.

Is the fighting any good? Like in FFV - VII so you can develop different tactics and try out different team configurations?
    /I guess I should track down a review somewhere

• AccidentProne 7 Mar 2013 07:37:30 1,163 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Here's the EG review.

Well worth it imho, one of my most played iOS games of late. Would definitely work well for a short train journey. As Phattso said, there's absolutely no need for in app purchases. Can't say I've even noticed if there are any, which means they're not particularly in your face if there are.
  • Alastair 7 Mar 2013 07:41:56 15,762 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    AccidentProne wrote:
    Can't say I've even noticed if there are any, which means they're not particularly in your face if there are.
    You can buy more gold - click in the top right corner. That's the only bit I've noticed.
    Slightly tempted to buy some more so I can get a 5th character while the others aren't too far out in front.
  • Alastair 7 Mar 2013 07:42:52 15,762 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Tempting, I have about 12 minutes on the train twice a day. I would love a game that has solid turnbased fighting but isn't too heavy on story.
    For the price (erm... not very much!) I would say it's definitely worth a punt.
  • AccidentProne 7 Mar 2013 07:57:29 1,163 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    AccidentProne wrote:
    Can't say I've even noticed if there are any, which means they're not particularly in your face if there are.
    You can buy more gold - click in the top right corner. That's the only bit I've noticed.
    Slightly tempted to buy some more so I can get a 5th character while the others aren't too far out in front.
    I found the characters you add later on level up pretty quickly, so it's not that much of an issue. They are a bit susceptible to getting one shot killed though. Some minor grinding usually gets them to a reasonably survivable level though.
  • Tonka 7 Mar 2013 08:11:07 20,438 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    AccidentProne wrote:
    Here's the EG review.
    O_O

How long have EG been doing reviews? There's an entire "frontpage" with news and stuff. Like a "site".

• disusedgenius 7 Mar 2013 13:19:19 5,333 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    AccidentProne wrote:
    They are a bit susceptible to getting one shot killed though. Some minor grinding usually gets them to a reasonably survivable level though.
    The issue I'm finding at the moment though is that the final boss is several degrees harder than anything else in the game. So I'm in an odd kinda limbo where I can reasonably comfortably beat 7 of anything in the game but can't even take over half of it's energy off before getting wiped out! I should never have wasted all that gold on the temp items. :(
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous